4.0 out of 5 stars No bad in a pinch
Published on May 2, 2011 by A. Fakhari

Published on April 23, 2012 by Cherry Ophelia

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a substitute for a full-sized machine, but not a complete scam., April 23, 2012
I think it's important for potential consumers to know that hand-held machines like the Handy-Stitch are chain-stitch, single-thread machines. This means that you use one thread only, not a second bobbin thread underneath to lock the stitches together, as in any traditional machine. Because of this, if you put pressure on the stitches after they have been sewn, they will come out. The instructions suggest tying the end of the thread into the last loop on the bottom of the piece, but this honestly just slows down an inevitable process. Even if you complete this final step, your repair is not of the strength you'd expect from machine stitching.

I have deducted several stars from my rating of the product because I believe that its marketing is extremely misleading. However, I do believe that, with the proper expectations, the Handy Stitch could be a useful product for some. Here are some ideas that could work:
*Card-making, scrapbooking, and other paper crafts. If the stitching is embellishment, there's no need for it to hold up under great pressure, and I've seen several card makers online who love their handheld machines.
*Emergency-ONLY fixes to work clothing. Please keep in mind that the machine is very loud (everyone is going to be peeking into your cube to see what you're doing!), and that you'll need to keep common thread colors in your desk and thread the machine, which can be tricky. However, if you are completely abysmal with a traditional needle and thread, a Handy Stitch repair should get you through the day until you can take the garment to your seamstress.
*Glue-reinforced fixes for clothing that doesn't really get noticed. Let's say that your favorite pair of yard work pants have a hem that desperately needs a repair--you could Handy-Stitch the hems and then go back along the undersides of the seams with fabric glue. (DO NOT glue first, then stitch; you will gum up your needle!!) This should hold the stitching.
*Stitching for interior fabrics. The part of the commercial where the woman stitches a side hem on a curtain could actually work. If you have kids or pets who play with the curtains a lot, maybe not so much.
*Households that are willing to learn enough about sewing to understand the strengths and limitations of the Handy Stitch, but that refuse to own a full-sized sewing machine. It might be a good backup plan for an elderly couple who is downsizing, for instance. Because of the need to really understand how it it works, and how it's different from other machines, I wouldn't recommend the machine for college students or children; they would be better off with an inexpensive traditional machine.

Because of the perks and limitations associated with the Handy Stitch, I would encourage as many sewers as possible to consider a different machine. However, the fact that the machine DOES work, as well as the low price point, makes this a product that is not totally worthless.
As with any "As Seen On TV" product, I would strongly recommend buying in a store, or on a site like Amazon, rather than calling the phone number in the commercial.

4.0 out of 5 stars No bad in a pinch, May 2, 2011
A. Fakhari "dfwtxman" (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
I bought this unit to sew a zipper back on to my Coleman sleeping bag, which over the course of my last camp out had become separated from the bag itself. I was just going to buy a whole new sleeping bag when I came across this unit at wally world and thought what the heck, why not give it a shot, if it didn't work then I would just take it back. Got it home and within 5 minutes the bag was fixed and strong as ever. I read all the reviews but this thing so simple to operate in my opinion, just breezing through the instructions was enough to get me by. Tied a little knot at the end and it didn't unhem. I guess if you are used to working with $200 + sewing machines this unit would be a step back, but for me it can fix things in a pinch, so I'm happy with it. If this unit could go in reverse I would have given it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, October 8, 2011
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
I don't see why so many have problems with this little machine. I'm a college student and couldn't bring a sewing machine across the US just for school, so I was so excited finding this online, and then in my local Walmart for roughly fourteen dollars. I would like to address some complaints about it; the main solution to everyone problems with this is to read the instructions.

For threading, it's very simple. There are five steps in the instructions! With pictures. It even explains how to easily push the thread through the needle, using the threader tool that was included. For the unraveling stitch, obviously those people didn't look through the instructions. It tells you how to carefully remove the cloth without pulling the threads out and how to tie it so it doesn't unravel. This is so simple to use, but definitely doesn't replace a real sewing machine. It doesn't work as easily with thicker cloths, so I find myself having to spin the rotary wheel to get the needle started again.

I hate using batteries, though, so I am looking for a cheap ACDC adapter for the machine now. It really doesn't go through batteries too quickly, so that's a plus. I think everyone who had problems with this, needs to give it a second chance. The instructions that came with mine were great, the machine worked perfectly, and it's so inexpensive it's a fantastic deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Geez, a little rough guys, February 2, 2012
Phoenix Sky (Detroit, Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
I can't believe what an over-all low rating this product has! I realize most product have both good and bad reviews, but I think these people were expecting too much and not reading the instructions. As far as the seams coming unraveled, yes if you pull on it, it will come up, but the instructions specifically say you must either tie a knot or hand sew the last stitch. Personally, I haven't found either necessary, but I'm not using it to sew things that must hold for a long time. The needle is very hard to thread BY HAND, but it comes with a THREADER that works just fine. This product is obviously not going to compare to a real $200 sewing machine, but for someone that just needs quick, simple stitching on a budget this works just fine. The only problem I have with it is the needle is set low so it takes a lot of persistence to get it over thick layers of fabric. Other than that I am very satisfied. Oh, forgot to mention, if your thread won't stay in the needle it is most likely because you are threading it backwards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you know what you're doing, November 9, 2012
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
First of all, I have decades of experience using all sorts of sewing machines. I didn't expect much from this item, got it at a good price, and was curious. I also had a specific use in mind. IT IS NOT A SEWING MACHINE, and if you are expecting one you will be disappointed. I spend a few minutes with it and was able to get an acceptable seam. Most important, DO NOT PULL ON THE FABRIC! That gets you dropped stitches that won't create a secure seam. Let the machine feed at its own rate, using your left hand ONLY to guide fabric, and you should do OK. Additionally, if you use a gentle hand while guiding the fabric, you get a much cleaner seam line than you do when you're tugging on the fabric trying to move it yourself. When you're using it, do so in a clear space where you can easily find tiny pieces that drop off unexpectedly. That happened with the tension guide and I lost the spring for a bit. I did find it, but since I had only just unpacked the unit it could have created quite a problem. The battery compartment is difficult to get closed and has a tendency to pop open unexpectedly. Yes it is a chain stitch, and that poses other problems in terms of getting the cloth off the machine (difficult and stiff) and not unraveling your sewing. Well, it is in the nature of chain stitch machines to do this, learn to deal with it. I've found that using a hand sewing needle to sew the free thread through to the wrong side, use a needle or pin to open the last loop on the underside and pulling the free thread through works best for me. I then sew a couple of knots around the seam thread before I cut it off. Yes, that's a lot of effort, but that's also the compromise you make for the price. The thread that comes with the machine is poor quality, I suspect that if you use a better quality thread you'll have fewer problems as well. Forget about the bobbins, just use the longer spindle included with the extra bobbins and go straight to regular spools of good quality thread and you'll have much better results. I want to use this in a situation where I will have no electricity and limited storage space, so I am actually quite surprisingly pleased with my results so far. Good luck, if you don't expect miracles and you're willing to work with the unit, you can do quite well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, July 4, 2011
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
I have really enjoyed this little sewing machine. I've used it to hem jeans, and to make two skirts of lightweight fabric. I have had no problems re-threading it, using a threader. I have used different threads as well. My only complaint is that the needle doesn't go up very far, so it takes some work to get the fabric underneath the clasp if it's a thick fabric, or it is doubled up. The big whit knob on the side of the machine is how you move the needle.

4.0 out of 5 stars simple stitches, June 11, 2013
works well for simple repairs but stitches are loose and only hold if you sew the same place several time.

3.0 out of 5 stars I can't get the hang of it, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
It sometimes works sometimes doesn't I think my operation has something to do with it but the manual isn't specific as to how to properly operate it. I gave it 3 stars because in the right hands it may work better but I doubt anyone would want to change a professional sewing machine for this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst contrapment ever!, March 10, 2011
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
This "equipment" is a sham! Why in the world would singer produce something this awful is beyond me. If anyone out there sews you know this is awful. I spent too long trying to thread it! You can't respool the bobbin on it, the needle doesn't rise up so you can stick a cloth under it!, you're so busy trying to make it work, you sew your fingers in the process! In short, you can't sew with it! DO NOT BUY!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The mechanics dont make sense, June 12, 2011
Claudia (San Marcos, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch Sew Quick (Kitchen)
I bought this machine at Target and it does not work. The problem is that the machine does not have a bobbin thread in the bottom. Instead, there is a little hook in the bottom, which is supposed to grab the loop created by the needle thread. The hook misses 98% of the stitches. For this machine to work, it would have to successfully grab 100% of all stitches. Even a single missed stitch will lead to the entire seam unraveling. If you keep turning the rotary wheel manually, you can watch the process in slow motion and you will see why this can't work. If you want to build a machine that does not use a bobbin thread, the mechanics would have to be extremely precise - not doable for $15!. I am actually pretty upset, that this piece is sold by any stores at all. The very few lucky customers who have one of the pieces where the mechanics actually work - even they have to check each seam and manually correct the skipped stitches right away. No fun!

Stitch Sew Quick