5.0 out of 5 stars Works well
Live in Minnesota (state 'bird' is the mosquito :-] ) and our property has a wet-lands and parkway system behind it. We walk dogs in our yard early mornings and late evenings - dumbest habit in the world in mosquito country! A colleague at work with a similar yard-type claimed their 'mosquito vacuum' worked wonders, so I thought we'd try a cheap model.

Bought...
Published on July 17, 2012 by Linse

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware of Possibly Fake Reviews
There are 4 reviews to date for this product. All three of the five start reviews are from people who have no other reviews or people who have written 3 reviews each of which are for other DynaTrap products. I love Amazon but they should use some form of algorithm to weed out suspect reviews.
Published on June 30, 2012 by MiamiTechnoLawyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Dyntrap Insect Trap, 1/2 Acre Pole Mount With Water Tray (Lawn & Patio)

Bought this model (DynaTrap DT1200) about 3 weeks ago (from a local DIY store), read up on things like the effects of wind direction and placement (all vendors of such products have guidelines online - read them!). We've been collecting a solid cooking tablespoon of mosquitoes per week and a fluffy 1/4 cup of misc moths, gnats, and others. Plus walking dogs is no longer a constant slapping-race. It is pleasant.

It seems most of these products from all vendors have about 1/2 reviews saying it's great and 1/2 that it sucks. Placement is probably important & they are NOT magic. I picked this model due to the low cost and not having to buy consumables. Lots of the 'other' products require up to $400 worth of propane and chemical scents per season, so I figured spending this low amount was a better risk than $500 plus add-ons. My risk paid off.

(July-26 add-on comments - Since the backyard is now so nice, we bought a second one for our front yard since we do gardening there and mosquitoes/some other biting bug was feeding on me; forcing me indoors as the sun set. It collects about 1/2 the bugs as the back yard, but my garden work can now extend until dark. Note; I see in some of these reviews that people think you plug this in 30 seconds before your picnic and expect it to do anything. Not so - both of my unit collected absolutely NOTHING in the first 12-15 hours! It takes some days of constant running to start to collect the bulk of the bugs.)

(Aug-03 add-on comments - used my Kilowatt meter. These burn about 15-watts 24-hours a day, so about 10kwh of power a month. If you pay $0.08/kwh, that about a buck of power a month.)

(Sep 2014 comments: one of my 2 units failed in July 2014. When I pulled it out, water poured from the top. Seems 1 of 4 rubber plugs on the top got lost, and somehow water entered the top & killed the unit. The 2nd unit (down in the garden is doing fine, sucking in bugs.) I bought one of the cheaper hanging units for $99 at the local Menards, and I was able to remove the old fried head, and mount this one on the old stand. The new one is different, with flaps to keep the bugs inside during a cleaning. Personally, I think the new design is silly. Sure a few bugs escapes when I cleaned before, but now with the flaps cleaning is harder. So one step ahead, one step back. Still the two units keep sucking in the bugs.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I was on the fence with all these mixed reviews, May 15, 2013
5-15-13 I have read all the reviews and seen reviews about fake reviews, looked up all the videos and was not able to find the one solid answer (DOES IT WORK!!!) So I decided with amazon if I was not happy with it I know they would take it back. Now I am reviewing this product after having it one night and I will be updating it as time goes. So I received it yesterday. I set it up about 6:00pm and just waited for something to happen. Now I live in the outskirts of Thibodaux, Louisiana (look it up on the map) and when I say the bugs are bad down here I mean it! Well about 8:00pm the fun began. I went outside to check on it and I can see the bug around the machine and they were getting sucked in. So I was pretty pleased with it. Decided right before I go to bed around 10:00pm with my flashlight I would go check on it again and I was impressed with the amount of bugs (mostly mosquitoes) that was in the bottom of the basket and the water trough was filling up quick to with beetles and mosquitoes and other types of bugs. Well when I woke up this morning to go to work I went check it out again and it looks like it is doing a great job. When I get home this afternoon I will take a video of what was caught after 24hrs and upload it to youtube.
So far I would Recommend this but let's see if it reduces the population around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bug Catcher., June 16, 2013
Almost filled the catch cage up overnite. Easy assembly and operation. Only draw back is some bugs will escape when you empty it out. I'll let them stay longer next time. Was curious to see what all was in there after the first night. Great device. going to buy another for the front. No smell or noise like the normal zappers.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what it claims to do - ELIMINATES BUGS, June 24, 2012
This may be one of my first reviews to write, and the reason is probably in line with most consumers - I bought a product, and then I thought "OH NO, does it really work???" I looked at reviews after purchasing the DynoTrap, and I was immediately discouraged by the reviews. Fortunately, I was VERY pleasantly surprised after only one week.

I hope to be able to upload the pictures, because a picture can tell a thousand words.

I caught at least 50 beetles on the first night (and each night following for 2 weeks), and it definitely attacks mosquitoes and moths. I think it is because they are so "dense" and get sucked in so quickly by the fan. I bought it to eliminate our fly problem, and they are not so easily "sucked in" - But, I was still happy with the outcome. The beetles are so attracted to the water on the outside, I couldn't believe it. It works better than any beetle trap we have ever purchased. As for mosquitoes, I can only say that the trap grabs so many bugs in a 24 hour period, it is hard to tell one from the other. I will say that the instructions say to remove dead bugs once/week - I have to empty the trap every 3rd day. We do live in the woods though, and the trap is completely full after just three days. I estimate that a minimum of 150 bugs are emptied from the trap every 3rd day. That is a lot that would otherwise be in my house or on my plants, and that does not include the beetles in the water trap on the outside. I want to buy another! I swear by this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dynatrap Dt 1200, December 27, 2012
I liked it so much I bought another one. The only problem I have with it is having to get the bugs out of the water and filling the water back up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynatrap really works and reduces the risk of West Nile Virus!!, July 6, 2013
I can see why the Dynatrap would get mixed reviews for several reasons. The truth of the matter is that this is a reasonable way to get protection from West Nile Virus. If you ever had WNV you would know that this is a good solution. I live in a cold climate, I am a health care professional,typically healthy until I got WMV for the second time and it devastated life as I knew it! The first Dynatrap I got had a stand that was not stable so I sent it back. The second Dynatrap ST1200 I got stopped working...the fan stopped and therefore the motor stopped after two days and a heavy downpour. I called the company both times and they were excellent although I didn't first purchased it directly from the company. The first time they sent me an extra nut and bolt assembly but it didn't fix it...and they added in a new bulb for my trouble. the second time I called to see if I did something wrong? they sent a new motor that I put in myself without too much trouble and they said they would walk me through it if needed.
There are professional type WNV Insect eliminators that cost 7 times as much but this one works. I went outside twice while I was waiting for parts and got over ten bites on my ankles and wrists..all other areas were covered! My cousin who lives in another state got one and after getting many many mosquito bites...no one has had one bite since using the Dynatrap (hers is a different model.)
This is a reasonable way to offer yourself protection you just can't afford to live without. I have had bug killers, solar powered...they don't work but this works and I can be the expert on it having had West Nile.
Don't hesitate, get it as fast as you can, don't think because you don't live in a climate that typically has this problem that you won't get it. I had heard of WNV but never ever thought I had a thing to worry about. After a month in the hospital and nursing home and cognitive defects a year later let me tell you before you have to suffer...get the Dynatrap and protect your environment, your family and your friends. I even feel I am helping my neighbors as the one I got covers their property also. I will give it five starts because the company is awesome, the product does what it says. Get it before you need it so you can iron out any difficulty or get your questions answered.
I am grateful beyond belief for the solution to my problem. I can feel confident going outdoors this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated - Octenol is a MUST Tiger Mosquitos, but works well on other species., February 5, 2013
The product is far from perfect but is does kill a lot of mosquitos and helps in NY evenings. Unfortunately, I live on Long Island and over the last two years our pest of choice has been the Asian Tiger. These mosquitos are small, hard to swat and come out in daylight. They also stay low to the ground. The trap works best on nasties that are late dusk / nocturnal and fly up higher.

I will use anything that offers even partial relief, but this trap is just "OK" and imperfect. I am still looking for better choices.

June 2013 - based on comments from others, I bought a pack of Octenol baits and stuck this inside the lamp housing. The effect was immediate - the Tigers are in much better control....still not great, but a big improvement. However, access to the lamp is tough- 4 small screws that are deeply buried in the fan housing.

I have a large assortment of specialty tools and I had to go for an old screw retriever from my PC repair days to tackle this.

Anyway, it kills mosquitos, so it is still out there in my yard.

I used Flowtron MA-1000 baits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mosquito Terminator!!, October 22, 2014
It just works! I have this for my deck in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii and it is a bug killer!!
First night I caught 49 mosquitoes! (I attached a partial photo after first night) I emptied it again a week later and it had close to 200 mosquitoes. I lost count.
Now I empty the canister every couple weeks and it's just mass carnage in there, tons of moths and flying ants too. The geckos/lizards love to hang around this thing, and there's a trail of ants leading into it. I guess I need to empty it more.

cons: the catch basket is really tricky/hard to remove, takes me a minute each time and alot of fiddling to get it to unlock. My boss who has one as well can't unlock it at all!
the water evaporates quickly, but if it rains in your area more, probably won't be a problem. it works well without water too I believe.
I bought it used here on Amazon and it works great!
I also have the smaller DT150 for my 1 car garage and it killed 150 in the first week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Catches mosquitoes and moths, May 29, 2013
Alan Atlanta (Johns Creek, GA, US) - See all my reviews
We live in the Atlanta metro and have a large vegetable garden in the back yard, as well as a children's playset, so we spend a considerable amount of time in the back yard. During the first two days of turning this on over a month ago, to my surprise, it caught a small pile of mosquitoes with few other bugs. We've left it on for over a month already, and it's caught about an equal mix of mosquitoes and moths (fewer moths but they are larger so they take up more space). They are a few other small bugs trapped in there as well. The water trap has a few beetles that drowned as well. The last time I checked there was a large pile of bugs in the middle of the trap. I suppose you could as a mesh with larger holes around the fan input if you would like to keep moths out.

The yard has had noticeably less mosquitoes, although we will still see them. While playing with the kids over an hour the other day, I saw only one mosquito the whole time. Although this doesn't completely eliminate the mosquito issue, it certainly does a good job of greatly reducing the number. I would definitely recommend, at least for the area I live in.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware of Possibly Fake Reviews, June 30, 2012