5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, but with caveats...
How it works -
Published on January 13, 2007 by Storm

3.0 out of 5 stars Get it ONLY if you need it!
I think this attachment is "good enough" and I do use it about once a month for heavy dusting around the house. It is not, however, the super-useful dusting brush I thought I was getting.

Published on August 5, 2006 by Bargain Savvy Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, but with caveats..., January 13, 2007
How it works -
The attachment is around a foot long (including bristles); it is a lint remover brush-head surrounded by soft plastic bristles. The red area is the lint remover (think of the dog hair removal brushes your mom uses); it has two suction holes - one at the head, one at the base - which allow the swept dust to be sucked into the vacuum while running. When both holes are covered (such as when doing a large, flat surface) the suction is as powerful as any of the other Dyson wand attachments. When only one hole is covered or there is a break in the surface between the two holes (smaller surfaces or blinds) the suction is still strong, but not quite as "vice-like." The idea behind the brush is that the vacuum action will suck in all the dust instead of allowing it to escape into the air. In this regard, the Dyson seems to leave a much smaller "dust footprint" than manual dusters because it does not cause dust clouds. As with all Dyson wand attachments, the dusting brush comes with two adapters which plug straight into the wand which allow it to be used with any type of Dyson vacuum.

Pros and Cons -
I bought the dusting attachment because the brush heads that came with the DC17 weren't cutting it for what I needed. They were either too small or did not form a tight enough seal around the areas I was dusting to pick up all the dust and debris. I live in an old house with old fashion plaster walls and with three furry dogs, so there is constantly dust in the house.

The Dusting Brush is very good for handling things like blinds and large, flat surfaces, but not quite as well in the little hard to reach spots or thin areas. So the brush will get all the dust on the entertainment center, floor-standing speakers, coffee table, etc, however the rear speaker stand, some furniture molding, tight corners - will all require touch-up even after vacuuming. You can pretty much forget dusting behind furniture or in awkward places. Even if you're able to get the brush to fit, chances are you won't form a tight enough seal around the object you're trying to dust for the vacuum action to work. You're still better off using a crevice tool - or no attachment at all.

Also, I purchased this attachment specifically because of the picture of the brush taking the dust off of the TV. The hard surfaces of the dusting brush are prevented from touching your wares only by way of padding. In other words, the suction holes (which are ringed by plastic) are only kept apart from the surface by the padding within the red lint dusting material. If your Dyson "really sucks" (sorry, couldn't think of another way to put it), you may be like me and get nervous about putting this attachment near anything that scratches easily. This brush would be fine for CRT tube TVs or even LCDs, but I think I'm still going to wipe down my plasma manually with a soft rag.

Reading what I've written so far, my review sounds very negative, but I don't want to leave you with that impression. The dusting brush is extremely useful and I would go so far as to say that I hope that Dyson would consider including it as a standard attachment in their future vacuums. However I think most people who look at the Dyson attachments already know what the attachments *can do*, and want to know about what they *can't do*. I do not regret my purchase, and I would definitely make it again because I do use the heck out of the brush, but I'm not using it for the same reasons I had mentally in my head when I purchased it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get it ONLY if you need it!, August 5, 2006
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)

The brush does NOT dust flat surfaces well. Not only does it kind of push a little of the dust ahead of the bristles, never really sucking it up and leaving "streaks", but it has the tendency to suction itself down HARD to the flat surface. This gets annoying. Because of this, I do not use it for all-over flat surface dusting.

What the duster is GREAT for are blinds, ceiling fans and the curves of wood moulding. We have a big black dog and do need to dust blinds & fans more often. A few swipes and the job is done. Same thing when I dust the furniture crevices and mouldings - the duster works great.

I do not like to dust base boards with it because somehow as the brush drags along, it seems to statically charge the carpet and the baseboard and any stray dog hairs are suddenly attracted to the baseboard I JUST dusted. I use the regular onboard vacuum brush for baseboards. I can't explain this frustrating phenomena but it might just be me and my house!

Lastly, the bristles bend out of shape very easily and you can end up with the brush looking more like a troll doll. Surprisingly this makes dusting flat surfaces a little easier. Unfortunately the bristles can bend so far up, they don't touch ANY surface while you are dusting, leaving dust behind. I store mine flat in it's own box, which is a pain, to ensure the bristles don't bend so badly that I cannot coax them back into shape.

If you're like me and just HAD to have it, see if you can find it on sale. Then you won't mind so much when you end up using the onboard brush 95% of the time to dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this brush!, November 3, 2007
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
I don't understand why some people have complaints about this brush. Perhaps they are not using it correctly, or not attaching it to their machine all the way causing it to break suction. some complain that it doesn't suck enough, not getting TV screens clean???? WHAT???!!!!! I now dust my entire house with my vacuum cleaner rather than with dusting products. I can get under and behind TV's, DVDs, cable boxes, and other electronics. It's great on keyboards and office equipment. I even use it to dust my knick-knacks and glasswear (very carefully, of course, while holding onto the item with my free hand). It even works great on baseboards and air vents!!!! I find myself dusting picture frames and glasswear much more often that I used to!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Little Magic Wand, April 16, 2007
D. Cloud (Grand Haven, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
Rarely would I give an ordinary vacuum attachment a five star rating, but this is far from ordinary.

I was impressed first off with the packaging. Usually when I buy something that's encased in plastic it takes Superman to cut the thing out. Not so with the thoughtful folks at Dyson; they provided a package that you can easily open and then close again.

Second, I was impressed by the construction of the brush itself. The bristles are very fine yet sturdy and practically mold themselves around anything you vacuum with it. And the material used to make the rest of the brush is the same tough crash helmet plastic as the Dyson itself. Nice.

Something to keep in mind is that the brush comes with two small adapters; one has a small triangle on it and the other has a small "O". In the package there is a small booklet with pictures showing what the adapters are for; the one with the triangle attaches to the brush when you want to put it on the long wand, the adapter with the "O" attaches to the brush when you want to use it with just the hose. I mention this because I ended up vacuuming all my blinds (and even my curtains) before I realized I needed one of these adapters. Nevertheless, even without the adapter the brush picked up a lot of dust, which says a lot for the suction power of the Dyson.

I have never been this amazed by something as simple as a vacuum attachment before. This brush is like a little magic wand. Never before have I been able to vacuum my TVs, computers, blinds, curtains, and just about anything with this much ease. The brush not only increased my respect and admiration for the Dyson itself but also for the ingenious minds behind the development of it.

I highly recommend this product to anyone who owns a Dyson vacuum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary tool, March 1, 2007
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
This has become my all-time favorite attachment. I use it on bookcases, electronics, fans, furniture, wall hangings, frames. I have severe allergies, so this beats dusting.

5.0 out of 5 stars This worked beautifully!, January 28, 2007
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
I LOVED using this attachment on my keyboards!!! It works so much better than the canned air does.

Of course, it did equally well on my blinds, lamp shades, tv and other electronics... I could go on and on.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEFINITELY DYSON...A MUST FOR ALL DYSON OWNERS, February 18, 2006
CantCU (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
I've been waiting patiently for this item to be released, and now I have it. Wonderful product. Does exactly what it is supposed to, and more. The bristles are soft so you can get under edges of things, and it pulls up dust like a magnet. Why scatter dust when you can suck it up and get it out of your house? Make that Dyson of yours work even more efficiently than ever. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Time Saver!, August 26, 2007
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
I was skeptical about buying the brush because of its price but if your time is worth anything, this brush will pay for itself many times over. It does a great job in areas that are particularly tedious, such as venecian blinds, book cases, switch and recepticle plates, picture frames, and any irregularly shaped or delicate object. I can dust a 6' by 5' venecian blind in under a minute and it is clean. The tops of books in a bookcase are a cinch. The brush is especially good for dusting doors, cabinets and furniture that have raised panels.
I learned there is a little technique to using the brush effectively. The leading edge of the bristles tend to push some of the dust ahead of them leaving a residue, but if one rocks the brush gently from side to side while dusting, the brush picks up all the dust.
The brush will not remove fingerprints, or water stains. You will have to use good old furniture polish for that. I consider my home reasonably clean, but the first time I used the brush I collected almost a cup full of dust in the canister after dusting the entire house. I heartily recommend this accessory for your Dyson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Dyson, March 29, 2006
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
I love my Dyson, and this attachment is indispensable for cleaning wooden blinds. Wow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, unpleasant surprise, August 24, 2007
This review is from: Dyson Soft Dusting Brush (Kitchen)
I give this product two stars, maybe 2.5. I paid $30 for it, because I thought having the reach of the hose combined with this would be great for doing our ceiling fans. But it's not. The brush isn't adjustable angle-wise, which makes dusting just about anything a labor of inflexibility (imagine dusting a plasma television with a broom, only you had to hold the broom parallel to the screen, rather than perpindicular). The product itself isn't very impressive. If I paid $10 for it, I'd be a lot more forgiving, but I paid three times that, and can only use it for about 10% of the dusting jobs my home requires. I don't recommend this product-if you want to spend that kind of money, but a swiffer-type product. They're adjustable and are better-suited for the job.

Dyson Soft Dusting Brush