5.0 out of 5 stars We Love our Dyson Fan's - Yes both of them
I couldn't decide between the Dyson Pedestal fan and the Tower Fan, so I went ahead and bought both to compare. Yes we kept both as well.

Published on July 7, 2011 by Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great within a narrow set of circumstances
I do love Dyson - I had one of their original vacs, and loved it so much when their ball vac came out I bought one and gave my other one to someone at work. The vac has been outstanding, and any others I've tried (including some freebies from Amazon Vine program) have just really stunk in comparison.

I liked this fan from an appearance standpoint since it was...
Published on August 2, 2012 by John S. Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars We Love our Dyson Fan's - Yes both of them, July 7, 2011
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Silver (Kitchen)

The Tower fan is great for the Living Room or family room for it stays more compact (slim and low profile) and spreads the air less concentrated on one area.(high and low)There is no adjustments that can be made on this fan, meaning no tilting or bringing the unit up and down. What you see it what you get.

The Pedestal fan is great for our bedroom; we have a really high bed. At the highest point of the pedestal fan it's even to where we lay. Since the Fan is more like a standard oscillating fan, the air is more concentrated to one area, so at night we through it on medium to low and let it keep us cool at night. The pedestal fan can be adjusted to the height by simply pushing it down or pulling up on the actually circle part of the fan. (The frame tube extends or compresses - very handy and fast to do) Also this fan has a tilt. (The circle head part can be aimed where you want it) This fan is a little bulkier needs more room then the tower fan. (Due to the adjustments and the diameter or the circle part when oscillating)

On both models the High setting does a lot of air, at a louder noise. We joke about it and say the jet is taking off, for the fan does lean back a little when we turn the knob up. Set up of both fans is quick and very easy

The remotes are very handy and awesome. To store the remote it's a magnet in the fan and in the remote, so just lay the remote on the fan and it sticks

Overall Great Fans, if you can get over the Price of a $450 fan, you will be happy with it. They do have a 2 year warranty with Dyson, so that is nice. Our fans always break after 1 summer; these fans have been going strong for 1 year now, still no problems.

Both fans have the same amount of air coming through them on high settings, so there no difference in power between the two models.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great within a narrow set of circumstances, August 2, 2012
John S. Dean "John" (Sturtevant, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Silver (Kitchen)

I liked this fan from an appearance standpoint since it was first announced, in the design stages. But the price was always just insane, so I passed.

I've gone through two or three various tower fans, and always had the same problem with them - lack of air movement, noisy, and oscillation always was really clunky, jerky, and not effective. And they were mostly butt ugly tall rectangles. Garish lights on the front or LED displays.

Finally this went on sale and Dyson sent me an email. I checked a local brick and mortar and the sale was there as well, so for $150 less than the normal price, I thought I'd give it a shot. This brick and mortar has reward points you can bank up, so I had about 80 dollars worth of "bucks" so I got it even cheaper then. And since I get a 60 day return policy with no restocking fees for anything, I figured it was the perfect time to try it. It would not likely be cheaper for a while, and if it's not worth it, I can return it and be no worse off.

So I got it home. This was to replace a circular "turbo" fan that I've had for like 8 years now. That fan works great, moves air even on low speed, and isn't annoyingly loud until it's on high, and even then it's just a normal fan noise. But man, that thing gets air going, so much that loose papers around are slung everywhere. And that fan I keep right in front of an HVAC register on my floor in the great room, on the wall in "front" of my couch. That way when the AC is on, I get really good cool air breezes. But it's about 16 or so feet from where the couch sits, which is why the tower fans never worked that well there.

This was unboxed, and a quick assembly (but I took off all the little stickers when I unboxed it, and didn't realize until afterwards that those stickers tell you where each part lines up to be assembled - but it's obvious anyway). Plugged it in (why, oh WHY do fan makers never make a FLAT flush to the wall plug so that it can be plugged in behind things like book cases and such without having to pull things away from the wall so much?) and fired it up. I was actually amazed at how much air it moved, even on low.

So I sat at my spot on my couch, and tested the oscillation - and I have to say, this is without a doubt the best oscillation I've ever seen in a tower fan. Smooth, absolutely no noise from it whatsoever. Brilliantly done. Of course, I wasn't feeling any air movement. So I cranked it up, and started feeling a breeze. But I was surprised at how much noise it made. And yes, it's not a normal WHRRRRR fan noise because of the design, so it's a high pitched turbine kind of noise, MUCH more noticeable than a regular fan noise simply because it's different. Think weird sounding electric mixer. As the time passed it became less noticeable, especially as ambient noise in the room increased. I think it's really the difference of the expected sounds that makes it as noticeable as it is.

But still, not much air flow. Even on high, I wasn't feeling even as much as I'd feel with the old circular fan on low. I got up by it, felt around, and it's neat at least how it curves around the edges and shoots out. But that's when I noticed, it's not shooting STRAIGHT out. Both sides are blowing a vertical column of air that is somewhat pointed inward, so they intersect at like the 8 to 9 foot point. Which, of course, helps to interrupt each side's flow. At that closer mark, the airflow is much more obvious, and is then a viable fan alternative.

I moved it to the other side of my great room, next to the fireplace, so it's only about 10 feet away or so now, and it's actually kind of good there. Even on the nearly silent low setting, I can at least kind of feel airflow. They say there's no buffeting, and that's true, even on high you never feel that, but at all speeds you do notice that it's not as hard a wind blowing than it can be at other times.

As you turn it higher, it's very much like a gaming PC suddenly kicking in fans - it's just about that exact sound until you get to the max settings where it's like a blender or mixer motor almost.

I'm still kind of up in the air about it, but I have 60 days to decide. I'm leaning towards keeping it now, since for the price I paid (230 less than the normal price) it may actually prove to be worth it. I don't like the circular fan I had, since that has a big base and is about 18 inches across. This takes up such a tiny amount of floor space, like 7 or 8 inches, since it's all in the vertical. Which was why I tried tower fans last summer in the first place. Aesthetically it's a win, no doubt. Nothing at all like it out there. I love the looks. The remote works very well, although I wish they hadn't made it so streamlined - it's all flush, no bumps on the buttons (think the home keys, J and F, on a keyboard) to mark them, so in the dark you really have to fiddle to find what you want to press. But it works great, never a missed press that wasn't read right.

There appear to be 8 distinct levels with the remote.

So if you can use it from a place 10 feet or less from where you want the wind, it works very well. You won't get the insane hurricane force winds that you can get from other fans, but you'll get a good amount without using much space at all, and without making an otherwise attractive area of your house look a little worse from some floor fan. And I'll admit, my biggest problems with the lack of fan "presence" is in direct comparison to a floor model fan - which is a totally unfair comparison, apples to oranges. It is definitely the best airflow from any tower I've tried (and returned).

Would I buy it at full retail? No, never. But for $230 less than retail, while it still stretches the price I was willing to pay for a floor fan, after having tried two or three others before, it really does seem to be a matter of getting what you paid for something. So less air flow than a full fan, but great mid and low air flow in a very, very attractive package. If it weren't for the price, I'd probably rate this thing 5 stars, but as long as it's so expensive, I can't give it more than 3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, not perfect though, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Blue (Misc.)
I have been using AC the entire first month of the summer and thought that i could make a change by purchasing a fan. For someone that loves cool designs and need a great reason to use the fan instead of the Ac, i decided to purchase the Dyson tower fan.

Things i live about Dyson fan:
1. Great Design, makes my living room look modern.
2. Great color
3. Takes reasonable space
4. Soft wind, almost feels natural
5. Comes with a remote
6. No fan leaf

Things i dont like about it:
1. it could be kinda loud
2. you need to point exactally at the fan receiver for the remote to be able to work
3. its pricy
4. when you turn it off, it wont remember your last mode. everytime you turn it on, you need to reset the fan to your preference

Overall, i will recommand it because i dont like the ugly look of traditional fan, but hopefully Dyson can try to make the next fan better. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars This thing 'blows', May 1, 2012
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Blue (Misc.)
Well, I caved and bought this thing...

In short, it's not worth $300, let alone $50.

Basically, at the end of the day, after all of this talk about 'buffeting', this fan is an overpriced piece of junk.

Sure, it blows air. But it's louder than any fan I've ever owned, and priced about 10x any fan I've ever owned. There are no blades, but that just means there's a high pitched jet engine running all the time in the base unit, blowing into the top. It's not what you think it is...

Basically, this fan sounds like your computer before it's about to have a heart attack, but that's just on low-power...

NOT RECOMMENDED. It looks cool, but it doesn't COOL like a normal fan. I'll take 'buffeting' any day over 'high-pitched loud-as-hell intake fan.'

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Awesome Fan - Love it!, August 23, 2012
Andrew Wiens (SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Silver (Kitchen)
When I purchased this fan I was definitely thrown off by some of the negative reviews that it had received. Complaints included that the fan was loud at its' highest setting, too expensive, and not very powerful. After reading the positive reviews I decided to give it a try and I am glad that I did! I live in an apartment and the fan has pretty good overall power, and has effectively cooled my living space. It is not as strong as say a box fan at full power, but it has gotten the job done no problem for me. Another criticism was that the fan was too loud. This fan is very quiet until you reach the top two settings. At it's highest setting I wouldn't want to be sleeping next to it, but it isn't a bother at all for normal daily use. I like to sleep with a fan on, and at medium power it is PERFECT! Strong enough for a nice breeze and very quiet. The last criticism was price. This fan is definitely expensive, which is why it gets a 4 star review instead of a 5. It is worth it to me because I was tired of having to clean my old fans every summer, but of course it depends on the person. If you are expecting this fan to literally change your life, it probably wont live up to expectations. However it is an awesome fan and I would definitely recommend it. It functions well, is easy to clean, and is a very cool fan. Is it worth the price? That is for you to decide but for me it was definitely worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Typical Dyson - great design, poor build quality, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Silver (Kitchen)
Just like all those Dyson cleaners we bought and then went wrong, this fan went the same way. Less than 12 months use (and hardly used at all over the winter) and it stopped working.

I just wish they were as good at manufacturing as they are at design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and works great, July 20, 2013
Haans "Haans" (Kirtland, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Silver (Kitchen)
It's one thing to understand the principals of physics involved in a thing, and another to experience the reality of it. I had never physically seen one of these before it arrived at my house. It is literally very cool, and elegant. Is it worth the price? Well it has a lot more utility than an tablet computer and I don't mind paying for beauty Industrial Design in an appliance so long as there is no sacrifice in function. This looks and works just great.

While it is not silent, and quite noticeable at the higher flow rates, the nature of the sound is indeed different. I find it far less disturbing while sleeping. Also it does not interfere nearly as much with music or television.

From a pure performance standpoint it really does move a lot of air. An astonishing amount. While it does not blast at high velocity, volume can be more important than velocity in cooling. Plus it works well at a distance. Hard to explain but while a conventional fan moves air in a column this moves a mass of air so all of the air in the room is moving, which is the amplification thing.

In our case, at the price, it is certainly not a go buy one for every room appliance, but I would like to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not move air well in a big room, June 30, 2011
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Silver (Kitchen)
Very Poor air mover for a large room. You can only feel the air about 6 feet away, any further away you fell nothing. Very LOUD on higher speeds. Overall very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional but within a narrow frame of use..., August 2, 2012
John S. Dean "John" (Sturtevant, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Blue (Misc.)

There appear to be 8 distinct levels with the remote.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap construction, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Dyson AM02 tower fan, Blue (Misc.)
Call me crazy but for a $400+ fan, I was expecting a little more than it made out of thin, cheap plastic. The fan, excluding the motor, weighs just a few pounds. It is far from sturdy -- it wobbles at the slightest touch. It comes with no instructions. It works fine and doesn't make as much noise as I thought it might. But it's hard to sit here and consider that I made a wise purchase, given the price tag. The AM02 looks stylish at a distance but when you get closer, it appears cheap; at best like something you might have gotten earlier from Sharper Image (may it rest in peace!). Paying this amount, I thought that the fan might help bring up the room but it does not. Long story short, if I had to make the decision again, I would DEFINITELY go with a non-Dyson bladeless fan. You will pay roughly 75% less and have a comparable fan. Or pay $400 and get pretty much the same thing.

Dyson AM02 tower fan, Silver