Dyson is a great product but it's certainly NOT perfect. The 'Never lose suction' tagline is a marketing ploy, since Dyson too will get clogged and lose suction if not properly maintained. All other vacuum machines will NOT lose suction either if the filter bags are replaced often enough.

Overall, however, its performance beats all other vacuums (including the...
Published on November 29, 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider the negatives before believing the positives
Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:35 Mins
Published on April 19, 2008 by ultraconsumer

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware that Dyson too will get CLOGGED if not properly maintained, November 29, 2005
This review is from: Dyson DC14 All-Floors Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)

Overall, however, its performance beats all other vacuums (including the over-hyped Oreck, which is simply a rip-off) hands-down.

- Every few months, the user must clean out the central cylinder of the very fine dust, or it will get clogged and lose suction. The way you do this is by removing the dust collector and then separate the core cylinder from the glass casing. Use another vacuum to suck dirt out of the little holes on the side of the cylinder. Also, if you look up the cylinder from the bottom, you'll see caked dust collected at the top of the cylinder. If you gently bang the cylinder (upright) on the floor, you'll be shocked how much fine dust (about two cups worth) will fall out of the cylinder. Use the other vacuum to suck them away. Also, take out the 'permanent' filter and wash them. They, too, get clogged with the very fine dust.

- The machine is very heavy and bulky, and it's quite a chore to transport it between floors. The hose extension is very awkward to use because the point of bending is near the tip. The high profile of the vacuum head makes it impossible to vacuum under the bed, couch, etc.

- The instruction manual is poorly written, and setting up and maintaining the machine takes a steep learning curve. Dyson should include a video instruction.

- I, too, and concerned about how much carpet fiber the Dyson is tearing off the carpet, which you can clearly see in the dust collector. However, you can also see the amount of coarse and fine dust it's picking up as well. One impressive feature of Dyson that lived up to the hype is that it will pick up much dust from carpet that was just cleaned by a regular vacuum machine.

- Dyson rarely goes on sale, but I bought mine at Sears, which had Dyson on sale last year for $379. Also, buy the regular Dyson and avoid the 'Animal', which is a rip-off. The rotating brush that comes with the 'Animal' is air powered and is too weak to work well on the stairs.

Summary: If you have a large house with a lot of carpeted areas, then Dyson is for you. You may also build some muscle by carrying this behemoth up and down the stairs. However, you may need another vacuum for the stairs and also for a quick clean up in the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! strong and powerful!, March 4, 2006
Time to be upfront, I researched a new vac for four weeks. My sister and I put in new carpet, paint , appliances and fantastic Persian rugs in our seven year old house. I am a dog trainer and have threes shelties as house pets, two cats, one meduim furred and live with a mother that refuses to take her gardening shoes off in the house.( I like to be barefoot)
I fully expect any vac that lives with me to be dead in three to four years. This is a given, and oh, my sister had asthma and allergies, I run a full house vac 2 to 3 times a week.( I do keep the shelties groomed and trimmed and the cats too.)
I love a clean house. My house never smells.
I bought the dyson at the local store, so I could return if it was not the right thing.
Its the same size and weight as my old sharp vac, (ignore the weight complaints, this is what a real vac weighs).
The suction is stunning, anyone with a vac over three years old should not be surprised at how much stuff is in the carpet.
What was scary was watching a brand new Hamadan 150 count Persian rug lifted in the jaws of this beast and shook. Like it was a cheap thin rug. scary.
I worked for two hours and now know how to work this incredible beast, like driving a real car for the first time.( In my life I have owned 7 vacs, including a rainbow).
Heavy area rugs must be vacumed backward, from the top to the bottom nearest you, push 6 inches, pull 12 inches. Heavy area rugs must be done very slowly!!!! ( forget cheap thin rugs, this machine will eat them).

Directions for the wand extension are poor, took me an hour to figqure out how to get the extension back on command.
I love the length of the wand, I hate doing stairs and floor board. I de furred my sisters room, base boards, under the bed and all the crannies. The wand made it easy as and fast to do.
The only potential breakable part I see is the canister bottom, and sides,and hinge, it feels a bit fragile. (don't knock the tools in the garbage with the dirt.)
So it was a good buy, I paid $428 at the local fred meyer. I love the bagless, Love the wand extension, love the cleaning power, ( will be carefull not to destroy the rugs).
wish I could fiqure out how the belt is changed, that should not be a service call.
***** three months later its going strong, the interior filters are a bit clogged, so i can vacumn the area rug most of the time. great buy*****

**** one year later, still running strong! sister broke the bottom off the canister yesterday, she is small and got impatient and banged it on the tall garbage can! replacement is $$$40 from dyson. now you know, don't bang the bottom! bottom roller is pain to take out and clean, which I need to do a lot, with all the fur. (two of the shelties lost alot of fur this year) many compliments from my clients about how nice my house is, and " it never smells like dog or cat" now WHEN WILL DYSON MAKE A CARPET SCRUBBER?

the best life advice I got in my twenties was " BUY Good vacumns, and replace them when they break."
===*****2012 jan, at last,my poor dyson should be replaced, sigh, it really just can't deal with the dirt, sigh, I have run it in 1700 sq foot house 3x or more times a week, love all the features, except its hard to clean the roller bar when it gets clooged with fur, any suggestions? waiting for an amazon sale.( clients today said my house smells clean).

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider the negatives before believing the positives, April 19, 2008
Length:: 5:35 Mins

I've owned my [refurbished] DC14 for a month now. I vacuum roughly twice a week, a small 2-bedroom condo with about 2/3 carpet and 1/3 tile floors. This vacuum seems to do a great job on both surfaces, although on the carpet, I honestly don't notice a huge difference over my previous Bissell Cleanview. I would describe its carpet performance as "good" meaning I don't know what else I could ask for, really.

For my tile flooring, with the brush-roll off, this does a surprisingly good job. I primarily am picking up kitty litter and hairs on this surface, so I can't vouch for too many crazy types of dirt. I do know it only takes 1-2 passes, where my Electrolux stick vacuum (battery-powered) takes several.

The dirt container is very easy to empty and cleaner than my previous vacuum, although still not really *clean* as you have to touch the dirty area to close the container back up.

My main gripe so far is with the hose/wand piece. I feel like this was a very poor design choice. Yes, it provides a lot of suction power; more than my previous vacuum (although I think this may be partially due to the smaller tube diameter at the end making the suction seem stronger). However, I'd take the maneuverability of my old wand any day. This thing is really hard to maneuver when you HAVE to extend the ~2-foot-long long metal tube to use it (trust me, you have to extend it). This puts the actual tool 2' away from you, and as many of us know, getting right in there with the tool/suction point is often the best way. Being two feet from the suction at all times makes it frustrating to use (see video). It's almost like this wanted to be part upright, part canister vac. It fails at the canister part, and sort of fails at half of the upright part as well in a sense that the wand functionality is greatly reduced.

The overall quality seems good, but maybe not good enough if you're paying around five hundred bucks. I got mine for half of that, and I feel like that's about what it is worth, to be totally honest. It just hasn't blown me away any more than any other vacuum I've ever used.

I see that many like to do the "Dyson test" and vacuum with one of these directly after their previous vacuum and see what it picks up that the other left behind. The problem as I see it with this test is that the reason you bought a new vacuum is because your old one was underperforming to begin with. Therefore, I wouldn't be too impressed that your brand new vacuum picks up a whole lot more than your old worn-out one. When jumping from my old old vacuum to my Cleanview I experienced the same thing. My Cleanview still worked fine when I switched to this and thus, I didn't notice a huge difference at all.

Pros:
-Suction seems very strong (although not hugely different from previous vac)
-Dirt canister super easy to empty/attach
-Holds a lot more than previous vacuum without decreasing suction power
-Cool attachment that has a "velvety" material on it to help get hairs and such off of fabrics
-Good on tile floors
-Ergonomic handle is more comfortable than before
-Relatively quiet when in use

Cons:
-Wand tool unwieldy and hard to use (although attachments are good)
-Annoying noise when in upright position (due to wand vent)
-Cord must be COMPLETELY unwrapped to use wand tool
-No light on front (is this a con?)
-Dirt cup mechanism could be a bit cleaner (somehow)

P.S. Sorry I said "unwieldy" so much, but it's just true!! =)

Update 8.5.08: Since I originally wrote this review I realized you can actually detach the handle from the flexible hose portion, which removes the long metal telescoping piece from the equation and allowing a lot more control. However, while this piece is removed I cannot easily switch the vacuum back into upright position without re-attaching it. Poor design on this piece alone would warrant a rating of 3.5/5 in my opinion. I would certainly look for a better implementation in a future vacuum.

Update 2.8.09: After living with this vacuum for around a year, I can honestly say that I have no desire to purchase another Dyson. While it does maintain suction just fine, that's its best feature. The handle/hose attachment are horrible - I dread using them. So what other features are there? I'd sacrifice a bit of suction for better usability any day. If you're spending more than about two hundred bucks on a Dyson, you're spending too much in my opinion. Even at that price I'm not sure I got what I paid for, which was a lot of hype.

Update 12.16.09: I have retired my Dyson in favor of a Miele canister vacuum. While the Miele line is generally more expensive than the Dyson (Miele starts at 399 usually), I believe it is a vastly superior product for a number of reasons. I will review the Miele on its respective page shortly.)

Update 2.28.10: Please see my review for the "Miele Earth" vacuum on Amazon or on my site at ultraconsumer dot com. It describes the Miele vs. the Dyson in some detail. And yes, I realize the Miele is much more expensive and SHOULD be a better vacuum. However, I'd probably just pick up another Bissell Cleanview or maybe a Hoover Platinum bagged (on sale) if I were looking for a good value on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sucks rather than blows!! (I mean that in only the best possible way), July 19, 2005
M. D. Lewis (Ravenstown, Maryland) - See all my reviews
What a Godsend. After four years of a Hoover Windtunnel that just seemed to go into shutdown after the first month of use, I had doubts that another bagless vacuum was the way to go. This, however, is not just another bagless vacuum - this is the Mercedes-Benz, the iPod, heck - the Shaquille O'Neal of all vacuums.

We have a small pet whose fur constitutes a large problem. A typical run through the house with the old Hoover would only get its bagless chamber about half-full (or half-empty, depending). The first run through with the Dyson and all its attachments picked up THREE canisters worth of pet fuzz and other dirt.

This vacuum is also set apart by cleaning attachments that WORK. Don't fully trust the Consumer Reports issue that everyone in the market for a vacuum seems to have read at some point which puts the Dyson around 10th - the Dyson's pickup on floors is beyond compare, its attachments are both functional and useful (the telescopic reach to ceilings being a major plus) not to mention powerful, and our carpets have never looked cleaner. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth every chuffing penny. At $400+ this is still a much better buy than the latest $300 Hoover Windtunnel model.

Once again, the British have more than proven their worth to civilisation-with-an-s. The Dyson landing upon our shores may not be as heralded as the Beatles arrival at JFK, but it may well prove to be the next-best British import of all-time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly dissappointing, January 1, 2006
Bought this vacuum a year ago and it already needs to be replaced. I use my vacuums a lot and I'm hard on them and this one couldnt keep up. I vacuum bird seeds and nuts and dog hair several times a day. So this vacuum has had more than normal use. It is made almost entirely of plastic.

Dyson claims it doesnt loose suction over time, which is probably true if you keep it clean and it top operating condition all the time. But it does need to be cleaned often. The brushes do get clogged up with pet hair and the canister and filter need to be cleaned and emptied often.

The tools are simple to use but the design allowed my vacuum attachment to break early on. The tool is designed so the hard tube rubs against the flexible hose and wore it out. The attachment heads also broke off early on.

I would say that if you are using this vacuum for normal everyday use, keep it in top notch condition and clean, that it will last long and be effective. But if you are using it for pet mess or using it often, you will be dissappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend, November 18, 2008
OK, so after a lot of research and looking around I decided to get a Dyson DC-14. I thought that the construction seemed to feel a little flimsy, but I would give it a try after hearing so many people rant and rave about it.

The first one that I had broke after about 20 minutes of vacuuming. The beater brush cracked and made a terrible noise. Now I do not have thick carpet and I was not using the vacuum aggressively. So I thought, ok I got a lemon. I will try another.

The second one lasted about the same amount of time and began to make a loud rattling again from the beater brush area. After some investigating the beater brush was warped and rubbing against the plastic housing.

So I took it back and got a full refund. If you are thinking about buying one I would go to a local store. Be careful what their return policy is. The store that has the target on it will give you a full refund. The store that offers the best buy will only give you store credit.

As I mentioned the vacuum itself doesn't feel very solid. Everything is plastic. The beater brush and housing is made out of plastic and the entire unit just doesn't feel like it would last a long time.

Another interesting fact about these vacuums is that if the belt breaks you can not change it yourself. You have to take it to a service center or send it in.

I would recommend looking at a Panasonic or Ricca. I bought a Panasonic and it is very heavy duty and can be serviced very easily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the belt!, July 24, 2006
I've enjoyed my Dyson for more than a year now. However, the belt broke recently, and this repair cannot be done on your own. It must be brought to a shop. Luckily, I'm still within the two-year warranty, so it was covered by Dyson. The repair shop told me that this is a common occurence with the Dysons and can be a somewhat costly repair. I noticed that they never talk about the durability of their belts in the product description.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shark Navigator vs. Dyson DC14, October 4, 2011
I recently purchased a Shark Navigator because I didn't want to shell out for a Dyson. I love the Shark. I'd buy another. Then I found a refurb Dyson on Woot for $179, and it was just too good to pass up. Now I have the two side by side to compare and these are my initial thoughts:

The Shark has awesome suction. Awesome. The Dyson has jet-engine suction. It's like a shop vac. It's insane. I was worried about my frayed rug unraveling at one point. (It probably will so use caution.)Dyson wins the suction contest, but not by that much.

The Dyson has better tools. Now, I love the Shark's rotating brush too for dog hair on the couch. I wish the Dyson had that. But the Dyson has a longer hose and the crazy suction extends out to the tools. I was able to suck up crud in my basement stone walls that has bugged me for years.

The Shark is lighter and more maneuverable. My most-used, most dog-haired room has a medium shag, and pushing the Dyson around on the shag required more energy than I was expecting - enough that I may use the Dyson on other, lower carpets in the house. The Shark has a smaller head, and therefore I have to make more passes with it, but because it is so darn light, it's very easy. I am never tired after using the Shark. I was tired after pushing the Dyson against the shag. The Shark is so light (I am a small woman) that I can carry up the stairs in one hand with a toddler in my other arm.

The Dyson, on the other hand, is sturdier. My cord-keeper on my Shark broke within 5 minutes, and the Shark tends to fall over when you're using the tools. The Dyson is heavy enough that it stays put.

On bare floors, they are an even tie.

In conclusion, you could buy either of these machines and be happy. The model you buy should match your needs in terms of carpet, pets, kids and level of cleaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy to use, October 5, 2005
I have two black dogs who seem to shed all year long and I live in Arizona. If your weather forecast never uses the term "dust storm" then don't talk to me about dust. I originally looked at the "animal" version of this machine, but a comparison of the two showed the only difference was the color and the animal having two otherwise optional attachments as standard equipment. I didn't need the low attachment and from experience with a comparable Hoover tool, the turbo brush is all but worthless so I decided to save $129 and went with this model.

I previously had a bagless Hoover Windtunnel, but quickly found it's not all that easy to empty the dirt container and it loses suction quickly. It uses a dual stage filtering system where larger objects like hair are caught by a screen then dirt and dust are captured by a paper(?) filter. The second filter gets so clogged with dust that I always had to remove it and beat the heck out of it on the edge of the trash can to get enough dust off to get any suction next time I cleaned. The Dyson is fantastic! Push the button, give it a shake or two and everything drops out easily.

I saw some reviewers on other models state the machine was heavy, didn't have a retractable cord, didn't have a headlight etc. This machine is lighter than my Hoover and I found it much easier to push around. It's also much quieter. I never saw an upright that had a retractable cord so all you ex-canister users, deal with it. I've never felt you had to spotlight dirt in order to vacuum it and I don't vacuum in the dark so the lack of a headlight didn't bother me. It's just different so people will have to get used to it. Some folks said it was hard to assemble and the instructions weren't very good. This is not rocket science. You only had to assemble like two things and they were pretty straight forward. I had it together in around 10 minutes.

The telescoping wand is nice for vacuuming up high like ceiling fans and around the edges of the ceiling, but removing the wand in order to put attachments directly on the hose for doing things like furniture , shelves, etc. is a bit of a pain as it's not very easy to do. I think I would have preferred a more standard attachable wand.

As for power, you can't beat it. Another reviewer stated he had to run over hair, threads, etc a couple of times. I didn't find that to be the case. While that was necessary for my old Hoover, the Dyson suctions everything up on the first pass. It always amazes me as to how much hair and dirt this thing pulls out of the carpet. As for throw rugs, most vacuums are pretty worthless on those. On the Dyson you need to turn off the rotary brush and stand on an edge of the rug to keep it from getting lifted totally off the floor.

If the vacuum holds up for the long term then it's definitely worth the money. It's got a two year warranty and I guess only time will tell, but so far at least I'm impressed with this machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beater Brush/ Rotator Cracked On Mine in Less Than 5 Minutes. TWICE!!!, December 17, 2008
Read a lot of reviews and decided to take the plunge and spend the money on a DC 14. Went into Best Buy, and bought a "demo/open box" for $309. Returned home happy with my purchase and immediately started vacuuming. No Problems on the hard wood floors, I transitioned to the carpet and almost immediately heard a loud crackling sound from the brush housing. Looked and noticed it had cracked and warped at one side. Figuring this was the bad luck of a "demo", I returned to Best Buy, returned the "demo" and paid $399 for a new one. Returned home and returned to vacuuming. This one lasted all of 5 minutes before I heard the same dreadful crackling sound. Low and behold to my utter horror and dismay, the same piece had cracked once again! It is absolutely ridiculous that a vacuum at this price has such a pi## poor design.
I would avoid this model like the plague.

Dyson DC14 All-Floors Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner