1,001 of 1,015 people found the following review helpful

1.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and underwhelmed
Published on April 1, 2009 by Ben

1,001 of 1,015 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Objective, In-Depth Review, August 2, 2010
This review is from: Dyson DC25 Animal Ball-Technology Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
We purchased the DC25 Animal Ball about two weeks ago. What I would've liked to have seen before purchasing is a review that gave me all the answers- but I quickly realized such a review doesn't exist. It's impossible to tell the difference between what's always true and what's anecdotal, what's proven and what's someone's opinion, brand loyalists, people who are determined to be underwhelmed or unhappy with the product, etc. So, in an effort to help everyone out there who is in the same position I was- here is my attempt at all the answers for you:

Some background- we are a family of 3, with 2 Shiba Inu's that are adorable but shed year round, -especially- in the summer. I don't mean there is a little hair here and there, I mean there is literally hair wafting through the air, it is EVERYWHERE, and it never lessens or ends despite hours of "furminating". Beyond that, we are not overly zealous when it comes to cleaning and tend to value our time together over time spent vacuuming/dusting. We also are not the kind of family that can throw around $400-$500 willy nilly. So if we're going to spend it, it better be worth it. That said, we had spent over $300 on vacuums over the last 3 years. Some were nice (Hoover Windtunnel), some were Walmart brands, etc. But all of them broke, -multiple- times, all of them clogged, and none of them were easy, or even began to help solve the hair problem. Recently, the latest model went to vacuum heaven, so my husband and I began a very long, tiring search into all the available brands and models and which would be best for us. Obviously, my biggest hesitation here was the money. The reviews for Dyson are generally good, but what I wanted to know was, is it such a good product that it's worth a downpayment on a car? Here's what I found, so you don't have to:

If someone had told me, "This is the best vacuum cleaner you can buy for $400", I would've said, "eh..." But if someone had told me, "Yes the vacuum is expensive, but it will clean your entire house, every nook and cranny while still being easy to use, easy to lift, and fun", I might've saved myself some sleepless nights.

Pro's:
-The vacuum is -incredibly- easy to use. I have to laugh when I read reviews where people say it took them forever and a manual to make the vacuum work, or to use the attachments. I don't mean to be confrontational, but if you can write a review (or even if you can't), you can successfully use this vacuum and all the attachments/abilities. Everything on the vacuum uses the same "button release", and it is simple to figure out.
-The ball is fantastic. When you have a smaller house with furnishings, it's important to be able to get around and under things without breaking your back. Not to mention that the vacuum is less bulky, less rigid, and easier to move in general than any other vacuum I've seen to date. This includes my mother's $1200 Kirby.
-There is an attachment for everything, and it takes less than 5 seconds (I counted) to choose one, hook it up and start using it. If you have hair all over your sofas, or your bedspread, behind your toilet, on top of your fan blades, or even just a healthy buildup of dust- there's an attachment for that, and it will blow your mind.
-The hose is incredibly long and flexible, it can reach anywhere- plus you have the choice of using the rigid 3 feet of hose with the handle attached which is handy for floor trim where you don't want to bend over constantly, or of detaching the rigid part from the flexy hose so that you can get to small spaces that are hard to navigate.
-The canister is slightly smaller than some vacuums I've used, but it actually holds MORE because it compacts everything very neatly and easily without you doing anything. When you're going to empty the canister 2-3 times per vacuum or more, you don't want to mess with bags and you don't want to mess with a canister that is coated in dust and grimy after every emptying. This canister empties and stays clean- again because of the compacting.
-The suction on this thing is ridiculously wonderful. It pulled over 3x more hair out of my carpet than even the Hoover Windtunnel, and it pulled out dust which I have never seen in my other vacuum's canisters/bags. After vacuuming, my house literally -smelled- cleaner and fresher. This is new to us, and we love it! Additionally, I watched it pull hair from under our bed and furniture on hardwood from over 10 feet away. Fantastic!!
-The vacuum has a 5 year warranty- everything is covered, and Dyson is incredibly easy to work with. That means that if it loses suction in 2015, I can get it replaced for free. That means my total cost for the next 5 years is a maximum of $430. Considering the vacuum is already far superior to all the others, it's already cheaper and more satisfying to own a Dyson than it is any other vacuum.
-The vacuum is just generally fun to use. My husband who hates cleaning was so excited he vacuumed the whole house just because it was fun! It took half the time it usually does, and it was easy to carry downstairs, even for me being 4 months pregnant.

Con's:
-The only con I can think of for this vacuum is that in a perfect world this vacuum would be the best and also be about $100-$200. That said, I have an easy time forgiving the cost when I see how much improved my day-to-day life is. I can honestly say, this is probably the best $400 I have ever spent. It took something I hated, and made it fun. And my house is ACTUALLY clean for the first time in the 2 years we've owned it.

Synopsis- If you are tired of dealing with vacuum cleaners that lose suction, replacing broken belts, smelling fried engines, missing half the hair or dust in your house, not having the proper material to clean your entire house with one product, or of spending hundreds of dollars over the years on vacuums that simply don't work- stop debating and buy a Dyson! It's the best decision you'll ever make, and I promise you won't regret it. What you'll find is, after getting past the difficulty of parting with your money, your life will be much improved. I will say, make sure you check multiple dealers for the best deal- when we were looking, Maxvacuum had the best deal, slightly cheaper than Amazon with free shipping, no tax, and even a free "cleaning kit" thrown in which added another 4 attachments and a heavy duty spot remover. Good luck, and I wish you good decisions!

5.0 out of 5 stars The vacuum of my dreams!, December 15, 2008
Vera Casdia (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
I've owned just about every top rated vacuum that has been made. I was never satisfied, mostly because they where too heavy to handle, or the animal hair was blown about, rather than sucked up. I do have a canister vacuum that I have had for years, but I wanted a satisfactory upright that was light and easy to handle. I have a cat and a dog, and there is lots of shedding hair, all the time. Our house is mostly hard floors, stairs, and one large rug in the living room. When I saw the DC25 Animal, I decided to spend the money hoping that this vacuum would do the job. It has lived up to my wildest dreams, it is wonderfully easy to handle, so easy to maneuver, the 16 lbs make such a difference compared to those very heavy machines I had before, I had no problem carrying it upstairs. I love that with this vacuum I don't need to select different heights, it goes from floor to carpet to floor. I was even able to clean the dogs bed without the wand attachment. Speaking of the wand/handle attachment you simply flip open the top cap, pull up on the wand, and it disconnects from the vacuum and suction diverts to the wand. It took a little getting use to, the hose is a little stiff and took a while before I was comfortable cleaning the stairs. Most important, THIS VACUUM SUCKS, but in a good way!!
Assembly was fairly easy, suppose to be 3 snaps with no tools. But I had a heck of a time getting it out of the box, and being not mechanically inclined I would have liked better instructions.
I have never reviewed a product before, but this vacuum cleaner has me so excited that I had to share it with someone. I really love this machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apartment dwelling, dog owning, clean freak approved!!!, February 9, 2009
A vacuum cleaner is one of those items that you "get what you pay for."

I have owned 2 cheap-o (less than $100) cleaners over the past two years. One was bagged and the other was bagless. They were both CRAP! I would have to take part the vacuum and unclog it just to get moderate suction power. In the end all i was left with was carpeting that looked clean at first glance...simply because of the vacuum track marks. But when i would closely inspect the carpet, it was nasty. Still covered in dog hair and dust! I wasn't able to vacuum our dog's hair to save my life and it was starting to stress me out. I gave in and started to research online for a new QUALITY vacuum. After hours of online research it came down to two choices and they were both Dysons. I had seen the commercials, knew people that owned them, and was always skeptical about paying so much money for a vacuum cleaner but I couldn't ignore the reviews from both average Joe's and online Consumer Reports.

It was either the DC17 Animal or the DC25 Animal.

In the end, I went with the DC25 Animal because of it's smaller profile and ease of use. I am able to vacuum everywhere in the apartment without having to move lots of things around. The ball simply was icing on the cake. I was willing to give up the smaller collection bin for the low profile and "ball." I was so totally right!!! Had i purchased the DC17, I would have had some problems getting under and around things in my apartment.

If you live in an apartment, if you own a dog/cat, if you HATE DUST, if you currently own a POS vacuum and are reading these reviews, trying to figure out if you are gonna cave in and buy a Dyson....DO IT NOW!!! BUY THE DYSON DC25 ANIMAL!!!! You will be glad you did and you won't ever mind cleaning your apartment EVER AGAIN!!! It does it all!!!

PROS:
-Cleans the carpet like a vacuum should!!!
-I got four words for you dog lovers..."NO MORE PET HAIR!!!"
-Low profile let you vacuum under and around without other attachments.
-The attachments let you clean everything from ceiling fans to sofas!!!
-Ball; the ball makes it fun to vacuum!!!
-The Dyson name...you know it will SUCK the best!!!

Cons:
-Smaller dust bin than other models. You will have to empty it 3-4 times when vacuuming a, really dirty, 3 bedroom apartment.

*****FIVE STARS*****
Even with the smaller dust bin, the Dyson DC25 Animal lives up to the hype. Trust me, just go buy the damn thing and be done worrying about PET HAIR FOREVER!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good vacuum, but you might want to consider other options, April 20, 2009
elchip (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This is the first Dyson I've owned, and I like it quite a bit, but I do wish I had done a bit more research. But before I get to that, here are the things I like:

* Great suction in both the vacuum and the wand
* Lightweight and maneuverable
* No bags or filters to replace, and no belt to break. As an aside, I've noticed some people complain that the belt has broken. Either they're not sure what they're talking about, they're reviewing the wrong model, or they're lying.
* Decent set of tools
* Bin is really easy to empty
* 5 year warranty

A few negatives, which are minor:

* Bin is somewhat small; we have a fairly small house but still sometimes have to change the container in the middle of cleaning
* The wand is a bit awkward to detach

As I said before, I wish I had done a bit more research into Dyson's product line before buying this particular vacuum.

The regular Animal, the DC17, has several advantages over the regular Dyson, the DC14: It has a motorized brushbar, it has a mini turbine head attachment, a low reach floor tool attachment, and more "cyclones." I'm not sure how well the extra cyclones work, but Consumer Reports says the DC17 has much better suction than the DC14. Presumably, the extra cyclones have something to do with that.

The DC25 Animal (the vacuum I'm reviewing here) does not have any more "cyclones" than the regular DC25. In fact, I believe they both have fewer cyclones than the DC14. Again, I'm not sure how well the extra cyclones work, but Consumer Reports seems to like them. Furthermore, both the DC25 Animal and the regular DC25 have a motorized brushbar. Neither of them have the low floor attachment.

In fact, the *only* difference between the DC25 Animal and the regular DC25, as far as I can tell, is the mini turbine attachment. In case you don't know, this attachment is used to get pet hair off of things like furniture and car seats. I like it, but other reviewers on Amazon don't seem terribly impressed.

If you want a Dyson ball but you don't want the mini turbine attachment, just buy the regular DC25. If you *do* want a ball and a mini turbine attachment, consider this one -- it's only $50 more than the regular DC25, but the attachment by itself costs more than $50.

If you want better suction (at the expense of more weight and less maneuverability), I think I'd recommend the regular Animal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Engineering, July 30, 2009
I've used the DC25 Animal for a couple of weeks now. Before purchasing, I read the reviews here, the negative ones especially carefully.

Regarding the broken belt reports, those just have to be false. There are no belts in this design; the beater bar is direct-drive and conveniently switchable.

The integrated handle and extension wand do seem odd at first, but they really become very easy to use after doing it a time or two. The hose is stiff, but it works and has a good reach.

While the collection bin does seem on the small side, we have found that the hair and debris becomes very compressed at the bottom of the bin, so we really don't need to dump the bin any more often than with previous vacuums.

And giving the collection bin a couple of shakes before opening the bottom cover usually dislodges the compressed pet hair in our experience. A time or two I've had to release a hair clump by hand, which is no big deal.

One reviewer said the attachments fall off of the unit while vacuuming. On my DC25, they attach to their storage and usage positions with a positive "snap," and stay snug and secure at all times. If attachments fall off, make sure they are inserted properly so that they snap into place.

I agree that the power cord is too short; it takes three outlets to do each level of our two-story house.

We have found the hand-held head (with suction-powered beater bars) extremely effective. It is not at all difficult to angle the head properly for maximum suction; I do the carpeted stairs much more rapidly -- and effectively -- with this attachment. Just remember where you put it; there is no onboard storage for this particular tool.

Those who have trouble cleaning certain surfaces with the hand-held beater bar attachment should try a variety of techniques. For example, I cleaned a fabric suitcase covered with pet hair by using a side-to-side motion, instead of front-to-back. Our mattress and cloth car seats responded best to a circular motion. Using this attachment requires a little experimentation, which is quick and easy. Just try different patterns until the crud starts coming off.

I particularly like the maneuverability of the ball design. It takes a minute or two to get used to, but it becomes very easy to maneuver, and reduces cleaning time.

The DC25 Animal picks up a lot more dirt, and somewhat more pet hair, than our previous vacuums. One of these was an Amway Cleartrack, the design of which was, IIRC, "borrowed" by the corporation from an earlier Dyson design, until Dyson prevailed in a lawsuit. We also used a couple of Hoover models.

The DC25's plastic design seems sturdy enough, but only time will tell how durable the unit will be.

It requires a little force to return the unit to its upright position, but you can lessen the force required by "helping" the wheels drop via some gentle pressure with your foot. Even without doing this, though, my wife and I have no difficulty returning the DC25 Animal to the upright position.

The unit is very light and is a beautiful piece of engineering. All seals tighten up snugly during operation, and the suction is very strong. The switchable electric beater bar is excllent, and this unit handles transitions from hard surfaces to carpeted surfaces better than any vaccuum I have used over the past 30 years.

The unit is well balanced for carrying when using the collection bin handle as recommended.

Other bagless vacs we have used have allowed a lot of dust and pet hair to make it through to the pre-motor filter(s). Not so with this unit. After many hours of use, only a small amount of very fine dust has collected on the washable cloth pre-motor filter. Dyson recommends rinsing this and the exhaust filter every few months.

This unit also draws a couple less amps during operation than our previous vac, as measured with a Kill-a-Watt.

All in all, I would say that the DC25 Animal is worth the price. It is a beautiful machine from both an engineering and aesthetic standpoint, but -- more importantly -- it does an exceptional job of cleaning multiple surfaces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing performance on long pet hair - definitely worth owning, March 7, 2009
PJ (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
If you have long-haired animals as I do, buy this. It's as simple as that.

One thing, though - even if you're a fairly fanatical vacuumer, prepare to be disgusted with what you pull up the first time that you use the Dyson. I am owned by one Golden Retriever- Sheltie mix who blows coat twice a year, plus two longhaired cats that leave fur trails daily (despite frequent grooming of all three). I purchased my Dyson Animal last month after burning through the fourth belt in as many months on my old vacuum (an Oreck, no slouch in itself). I did a lot of research and decided that a Dyson that was purpose-built for pet hair had to be worth a try.

Well. I had just vacuumed the day before the Dyson arrived, but thought I'd take my new appliance for a spin just the same. I ran the Dyson over the carpet in my previously-vacuumed (and recently professionally-shampooed) living room, and the amount of hair, dust and other assorted debris that the Dyson lifted was genuinely astonishing (AND totally disgusting, when I considered that it had all been lurking in the rug!). I had to empty the waste container four times during that first use, and it is not a small container. I could have knit a whole new dog from the amount of long red hair that the Dyson Animal found.

Subsequent uses are now keeping the carpets clean, and the rooms even smell fresher. Added and unexpected bonus: my allergies have substantially declined.

I have since used the Dyson on both carpet and oriental rugs, and while it surely and quickly gets the dirt and hair, I have seen no unwanted lifting of fibers from the rugs. One note - when you first fire it up, if it doesn't seem to be picking up as it ought, make sure you find and engage the switch that turns on the rotating brush (you can turn that brush off for doing hard floors or very delicate rugs). Note that if you're used to really lightweight vacuums, this one will seem heavy. The weight actually is very useful in helping it to grip the carpet, and the ball makes it extremely maneuverable, so in general the weight isn't an issue. It would only be a drawback if you happen to have serious difficulty with lifting and if you also frequently need to go up and down stairs with your vacuum, in which case you may want to consider a lighter model.

Setup was easy and took less than 10 minutes. The vacuum is well built and based on Dyson's reputation and bazillions of other reviews, I don't anticipate any problems with its durability. I also appreciate Dyson's use of recyclable cardboard for all interior packing - no styrofoam to clog the landfills.

All in all, it's a fantastic vacuum and well worth the money, especially if you have four-legged fuzzies in your home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum, December 8, 2008
Lumiere (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Our old vacuum was overheating so much that it takes me two cooldown session to even vacuum half my apartment, even after opening it up and cleaning it. So after eyeing this one for a month or two, I finally decided to buy this one instead of spending money on a cheaper vacuum that will probably break in a year or two. This vacuum comes with a 5 year warranty, so even if it costs 3 times as much as many vacuums, I expect it to last at least as long as 3 of those vacuums, especially since the filter is washable and never needs replacing.

Once I opened the box, which was even well-designed, assembly was easy. Everything snaps into place without much force, and it was working a few minutes out of the box.

I then tried it out. The vacuum is fairly light, and extremely easy to maneuver. Tt picked up so much dust, hair, and dander that my previous vacuum left behind that I had to empty the canister twice. It even cleared up most of the dust which was floating in the air before. The roller is extremely easy to remove when you need to clean it. I took a quarter to the giant plastic screw and it popped right out, a feature I wish I had on my previous vacuums.

Emptying the dust canister was easy as well, since it pops right out and has a button to release the bottom. However, I find that it opens too fast so it disturbs the fine dust laying on the bottom of the canister and makes some of it airborn. And a few times, I've had to reach in to get the dust out because it doesn't all fall into the trash bin when it clumps up, but both downsides are still minimal compared to my other canister vacuum, where I had to turn over the entire canister every time.

The telescopic wand is very very handy and snaps in and out easily. The reach on the wand is also very long, and can just about reach the top of my steps with the vacuum on the bottom of the stairs.

While the vacuum itself is great, I'm not as fond of the turbine head attachment in the DC25 Animal version. I tried it on the suitcase my cat was sleeping on, and it took several runs through the same spot to clean her hair off, which isn't much different from non-turbine brushes. On the microfiber futon we have, it worked very well, however. I also tried it on the stairs, but it doesn't seem to clean very well unless the angle was perfect, and when combined with the telescopic wand, is a pretty steep angle, causing me to have to lift it up higher than is comfortable. It'd probably be fine if I was 6' tall, but I'm not. If the turbine head attachment had an auto-adjusting angle, I would have no complaints at all about it.

All in all, the DC25 part of the vacuum is just about flawless, and got me very excited about using it, but the turbine head attachment found in this Animal version is not quite as perfect. The DC25 is definately worth every penny, just not as enthusiastic about the Animal part.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and underwhelmed, April 1, 2009
Ben (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
I've had a first generation Dyson DC07 for many years and after several key components failed, I decided to replace it with a DC25 Animal. I chose this unit because I have a long haired dog and I expected unique animal related cleaning features (as the name implies). As it turns out, the differences between this unit and the DC25 Yellow are no more than the name, color and a suction driven attachment Dyson calls a mini-turbine head (for $45 more). Except for the color, they're identical machines.

I've returned the DC25 and had the DC07 repaired.

PROS:
*Relatively light and easy to handle.

*Brush head
Unlike the older Dyson models, the brush head has its own motor and a smaller profile which allows for easier access to more areas and the clutch switch has been replaced with an easier to reach button adjacent to the on/off switch.

*Easier maneuverability due to the ball design.

CONS:
*Undersized collection container
We found ourselves emptying the container several times/day

*Emptying collection container is a NUISANCE
We found that our dog's long hairs got caught up inside the container and that only way to empty the container was to either reach in (no thanks) or use another vacuum. We ended up reaching for another vacuum most of the time.

*Cord too short
The cord is about long enough for you to vacuum one room. If you have several rooms to clean and you don't mind plugging/unplugging than this wouldn't be an issue for you. It was for us.

*Power head switch
If you want to turn the roller brush off, for cleaning hardwood floors, for e.g., you can simply press a button next to the on/off switch. This is a nice improvement over the DC07. What I didn't like here is that if the brush head has been turned OFF and you then turn the vacuum OFF, Dyson forces the brush head back ON before turning the vacuum OFF. Dyson probably determined they could save a few pennies with this design but I suspect it will, ultimately, shorten the life of the powered brush head.

*Mini-Turbine Head
As indicated earlier, the small brush head rotates via the suction coming from the vacuum. It struck me that the brush rotation didn't provide any significant advantage over using the dust tool attachment. In addition, you're left managing it since Dyson didn't provide a way to attach it to the vacuum.

All in all, the key issue I have with this vacuum is the woefully inadequate collection/disposal system. I consider this to be fundamental flaw: it's simply too small and, when dealing with pet hair, necessitates another vacuum to empty it properly. Back to the drawing board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything they say it is and more, April 10, 2009
I have three cats, a poorly-insulated ground floor apartment with a heat pump, and a mostly-carpeted space. This vacuum is literally changing my life. Yes, the smaller reservoir is annoying. Yes, if you or your pets have oily hair or fur, cleaning is a little more involved. But the results are terrific. The carpets appear like new again (they also seem thicker, plusher). The air is sweeter. My air purifiers aren't working as hard. The pets are frolicking on the rugs (really -- it's fun to watch). And, at the start of allergy season, I don't seem to be getting my usual sinus/ear problems. The price is frightening, but so far it seems to be worth it. P.S.: for those of us with arthritis or other disabilities, the combination of the ball technology, lower profile, and lighter weight make this a much friendlier vacuum to use. I liked my Bissell Pet, but I love my Dyson 25 Animal.

5.0 out of 5 stars My experience with Dyson., April 27, 2009
Wow, my Dyson vacuum cleaner was sent and it was certainly a factory defect. The on button could not be push down at all. It was not damaged in transport as there was absolutely no damage to the box it was shipped in. I called Dyson immediately and asked what to do. I was given the option to ship it back to Amazon or take it to a vacuum repair shop. I asked the RUDE customer service rep, Latoya,if Dyson would pay for the shipping rate back to Amazon since this was a factory defective vacuum. She explained that it was not a factory defect and Dyson would not pay for my retun shipping fees. I asked on what basis she assumed that the defect was not factory related and she stated it wasn't and she knew it wasn't. Amazing how these companies immediately take no liability for anything nowadays. I asked to speak to her manager and believe it or not this RUDE man,Ray, also took no responsiblity for the factory defective vacuum.
He also would not pay for return shipping charges.

With little else to do I took it to an authorized vacuum dealer. After looking at the packaging and the way the vacuum sat in the box he agreed that it was not broken in transport but a factory defective vacuum. The customer service department at Dyson was to fax him a repair request but guess what!!!! They didn't, go figure. He did get the part faster than he usually gets parts and my vacuum was ready rather quickly.

I love my vacuum!!! I would recommend it to anyone. I can not believe how well it works. Too bad Dyson's customer service department doesn't work as well!!!!

Sincerely,