There are only two things I like about this vacuum cleaner (and I've had it for over a year). One is that it's bag less, but you can find that in a lot of vacuums these days, and second is that the filter is easy to clean, but my list stops there.

This vacuum was definitely designed by a man. For one the handle is for larger hands. It's awkward to use. Also, the hose attaches to the LEFT of the canister which makes for awkward right-hand vacuuming. It should attach to the front to be fair to both right and left-handers. The hose length is NOT adequate and I find that I have to drag this heavy thing more than I should have to because I can't reach.

It DOES not work well on most carpets. The reason I got this vacuum was for carpeting. If you have carpeting with a higher ply, and it doesn't have to be very high, you're going to get a work out trying to run this over your carpet. I would not pay $400 again for this vacuum. I was considering the Dyson ball upright, but after my experience with this model, I'll probably consider another brand.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 26, 2012
Using this vacuum actually makes me a bad person. I'm just not even kidding a little bit. I'm a pretty laid-back guy (to the point where my wife actually gets exasperated by how I can always see the good in any situation), but this vacuum? Let me tell you about this vacuum...

It's so ridiculously flimsy and difficult to use, and the suction is so *asthmatic* levels of useless, that it made yell at the cats, slam the door on the postman, be abrupt and rude with family members, and actually had me daydreaming about a satellite-mounted railgun raining kinetic hell down upon the Dyson headquarters.

We're going to spend the long weekend finding a new vacuum cleaner. And meanwhile, I'm going to see if I can get the mythbusters to blow this thing up on camera. It's the only release that will be cathartic enough.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2009
I just took the Dyson vacuum cleaner on its maiden trip. And I am very impressed. I grew up with canister cleaners, and have long wanted one again. Never liked those uprights, heavy and hard to get in under furniture etc. The Dyson is easy to handle, cleans really well. A detail, perhaps, but I appreciate that the additional tools (furniture brush etc) are securely fastened. On my old machines they constantly fell off.
This almost made vacuuming fun. One possible downside - the canister seems perhaps a little on the small side. It didn't take long for me to fill it up - unless, of course, that is more a statement of what my place looked like before I brought the Dyson home. If it keeps it up - it's surely a five-star!
on October 25, 2010
Verified Purchase
I have been devoted to Dyson for about 8 years, and have been extremely satisfied with all of their upright models. This canister model however, has significant design flaws. The first of which is that the head quickly gets clogged with debris, which causes it to lose suction. This debris must be manually removed with tweezers before the vacuum returns to functionality. Another issue is that it's design is very clunky and when you attempt to "drag" it around while vacuuming, it is hard to pull and very cumbersome. It is also very large, and hard to store when not in use.

I never thought I would give any Dyson product a less than perfect rating, but this one is horrible. I only give it a two because the vacuuming head is the perfect size for stairs, and when the head is not clogged, it has great suction, otherwise it would only rate one star.

I purchased this 5 months ago, and I am already getting ready to relegate it to the garage or donate it to charity, and purchase another upright model because it is just too hard to use.
on June 10, 2010
I am an engineer -- and altogether hard to impress.

I bought this vacuum a few weeks ago. It is my first bagless canister machine. I use it on marble-tiled, ceramic-tiled, wood and medium-to-thick pile rug covered floorings.

While the Eureka bagged canister machine I used for years seemed to do a fine job, this Dyson made me feel as if I'd been living in New York City soot and Pug dog hair for too long. It's nothing short of fulfilling to see what is being cleaned from my floors. The turbine-driven brush head is so simple and effective -- no belts that inevitably require replacement -- and there are just two settings (carpeted and not-carpeted). My prior machine had far too many options and I don't believe I ever had any idea which was appropriate. The wand is constructed with multiple articulated joints -- moving parts which (not unlike the Dyson ball design) allow my entire arm to move however I please around furniture (and my 14-year old Pug, who happens to be afraid of nothing -- least of all, vacuums).

Perhaps it seems pricey for some, but I feel that I've gotten what I paid for -- and the savings in bags is merely a bonus atop knowing I'm not tossing yet another useless bag into the trash/environment.
on December 26, 2010
We have been wanting a Dyson for a couple of years. This Christmas, we decided to get one. We have a small house, around 1,000 square feet. Our second floor has wall to wall carpet, and downstairs has hardwood/laminate/linoleum. For this reason, we decided to get a canister version, rather than a large upright that would only be used in about 200 square feet of bedroom. We also have DOGS. And not just any dogs, German Shepherd Dogs, one of the worst shedders. Our house is also over 100 years old, and produces a thick and absurd amount of dust.

So far, the Dyson has worked great and I love the features. My husband could not find the DC23 Animal version in stores, so we plan on buying the hard floor attachment separate and perhaps the mini turbine, as everything else about the machine is identical, and those two attachments make up the $100 difference between the two models.

I'm not sure how others can possible give this item a truly negative rating or review if they have owned any other major department store brand vacuum in the past 5 years.

My old vacuum is a Dirt Devil D1 that cost about $200 and was purchased 3 to 4 years ago. This is basically a bagless, hepa filter, single big cyclone wannbe design. It has a standard wrap around cord, plastic housing, hose, etc. When it was new, it was awesome! But, within a year of buying, the suction began to lessen. No matter how many times I have washed or changed out the internal filters, it consistently blows out a gross "doggy" odor. Because it is an upright, it's not great on hard floors, and the wand/hose/tools for floor use are not great - incorrect length, no floor attachment. The mini turbine it came with is held together with two plastic clips that pop off (one being lost) so that it barely stays together.

Now, for the Dyson D23. Yes, it is made of plastic. Most things are now a days, as are most vacuums. Unless I plan on dropping this puppy down the stairs or bashing it against walls, I think it will hold up and take similar abuse as the Dirt Devil (closet storage, being knocked over, moving 4 times). Yes, it has a plastic hose. Most vacuums do. Yes, it has a clear, plastic dirt bin, as do all other bagless vacuums I've seen on the market. Yes, stuff sticks in it, which is why you clean them out.

Now, for the "cons", if you can really call them cons - they are more like small design issues which are more about personal preference and perception than anything else.

1. As other mention, the wand/hose/turbine head piece attaches to the body on only a small plastic clip. This clip doesn't seem made for the long haul, and with large dogs and two boys in the house, I can see it breaking in the future. Again, not a huge deal.
2. Some reviews I say mentioned the hose wrapping around the body. I can see the indentations where this might be possible, but the hose itself doesn't go that far, the box and packaging do not give instructions or options to do this, nor do I see anyway to secure this hose in position. These leave a slightly awkward storage option of leaving it assembled upright or tucking it into a corner.
3. The instruction booklet could have a few more words to go with the pictures. Some of the features are not like any other vacuum I've had and took a little figuring out.
4. The turbinehead has a manual push button thing on it's side to turn the brushes off. Some people complained that this was not convenient and they had to lean down to switch between carpet and floor. My suggestion, remain standing and lift the turbine head up to you to make the switch. It does feel a bit awkward, but as I plan on getting the hard floor tool to use separate, it won't be an issue, and honestly, it's not much different from pausing what you are doing to switch attachments anyway (i.e. go from turbine head to crevice tool to get into a corner). We can switch heads once we get upstairs to do carpeting. Also, area rugs or throw rugs are just another word for dog bed in this house, so we don't really keep any.

Pros!
1. Sleek Design!
2. On board tool holders for included tools that work great, hold them in place, and aren't a major hassle to remove.
3. Nice length cord with auto retraction (my husband hates when I don't wind the cord) INSIDE A WHEEL! The button for this is nice and big too.
4. Built in life long filter! The filter compartment is INSIDE a wheel - how cool is that?
5. Nice, large ON button easy to reach with your foot.
6. Emergency suction break switch in hose handle, great for those "Whoops!" moments when you've accidentally grabbed a sock, Christmas tree skirt, or dog toy.
7. Tool and hose attachments are easy to remove yet have a secure locking mechanism.
8. So far, no odor or dust escaping. After one pass on our DR and kitchen area and a full canister of dog hair, dust, and toy bits, the filter was still clean.
9. Nice weight - not a light vacuum, but the 19 lbs is very manageable to go from floor to floor and easy to carry with two hands (one for the canister, one for the hose/wand)
10. Swivel feature on turbinehead and on the wand itself works great - keeps hose from tangling and moves well.
11. Telescoping Wand - adjustable length for different height people or to reach different places.
12. Crazy suction!

In conclusion, I'm happy with our purchase. I've used Kirby's in the past - way too big, clunky, expensive, and takes bags. I've used Electrolux vacuums, not that awesome or great, took bags, didn't clean that wonderful. I've owned a variety of Hoover, Shark, and Dirt Devils over the years, each one with a life of about 2-3 years.
For a little more money than a regular department store brand, $400, I feel we have a quality machine that will last thru it's 5 year warranty and perform well, without the cost and hassle of bags and filters. I think the extra suction will be what we need to combat the excessive shedding of German Shepherds and keep going.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2010
Update on 12/23/12 - I still like this vacuum cleaner, but the power head broke and I discovered that parts for this vac are either expensive or non-existent. If I were to buy another vacuum cleaner, I'm not sure I would buy a Dyson for that reason. In the past I've only had Kenmore vacs and even though they are a bit more cumbersome to use, I do like the fact that replacement parts for Kenmore are so readily available.

-------------

I bought this Dyson after having used Kenmore canister vacs for the past 20 years. I liked my Kenmore vacs a lot so I was nervous about switching brands, but I am happy that I did. After using it for about four months, here is my list of Pros and Cons:

Pros
1. It picks up dust and cat fur really well. We have three cats, so we have a lot of fur everywhere and this Dyson does the trick.
2. It works well on hardwood floors. I can't comment on carpet because I haven't used it on carpet, but I love it for my hardwood and tile floors.
3. It's very easy to empty the bin. Just one push and the hatch opens and the dirt falls right out. As one reviewer mentioned, this can cause a mess, but I found that emptying my vacuum bags in my other brand also caused a lot of dust so I don't consider that a huge liability.
4. It moves really easily. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but once I did, I found it to be *much* easier to maneuver than any vacuum I've ever used.
5. It very ergonomic and everything is really easy to understand and use. I don't like reading manuals and I didn't have to with this unit.

Cons
1. The on/off button is red and so I have difficulty remembering that it is for on/off. To me, red indicates "danger", so I always consider this to be an emergency shutoff of some sort. I keep hitting the gray cord button, thinking that is the on/off button. I thought this would get better over time, but I still have difficulty with this. I think any other color would have been better than red for this button.
2. The on/off switch is on the unit, not the at the handle. This is a minor inconvenience, but my last vacuum had a button on the handle and it was *much* easier to turn on/off.
3. The head that comes with it is not good for cleaning sofas and chairs. I wish there was a smaller power attachment that was easier to handle for cleaning upholstery.
4. The attachments are not versatile and/or there are not enough of them. I wish there was at least one more kind of brush.

Overall so far, I am very pleased with the unit. My suggestion is that if you have hardwood floors and pets, then this is definitely a vacuum that you should consider buying.
on December 30, 2010
Verified Purchase
I like canister-style vacuum cleaners, so when I saw this product on sale at Amazon ($299, free shipping), I decided to find out what the big deal is with Dyson cleaners myself.

My house: two stories, all hardwood floor with a few rugs.

Pro:
- Very good suction. Works well both on hardwood floor and rugs. This is a great improvement over my old Kenmore cleaner which did very poorly on hardwood floor. (It just pushed dirt all over and didn't suck up.)
- Dust bin is very easy to empty and not messy - relatively speaking. I still won't empty the dust bin in the house because quite a bit of fine dusts fly when I open the bin.
- Light weight, at least lighter than my old Kenmore. This is a plus for vacuuming the stairs.

Con:
- On/Off switch is on the body and it's right next to the cord rewind button. You have to be careful not to push the wrong button. My old Kenmore had a switch on the hose handle. I think all canister vacuum cleaners should have on/off switches on the hose handle.
- Rug/wood floor toggle switch is on the power head. So, if you are vacuuming a room with a hardwood floor with a rug on it, you set it to rug mode, vacuum the rug, stop, stoop down and change to wood floor mode, vacuum the wood floor, you find some lint on the rug, stop the cleaner, stoop down and change setting to rug, vacuum, etc, etc. This is stupid.

Overall, I think this is a good product for its core function (vacuum), but I feel the manufacturer sacrificed usability over "beautiful industrial design". Fine for the price I paid, but I would have been really disappointed if I had paid retail for this.
on March 4, 2011
I have two Dyson uprights. I love them. This one, however, is worthless and not up to the Dyson standards. I doubt if it will be around much longer. The canister is too small. The brush tool won't pick up hairballs and the vacuum power is minimal.
on September 18, 2010
I love the fact that this vacuum finds dust and dirt that I didn't know was there.

A few things that I wish I would have known before I bought this product.
1). It does have a retractable power cord which I love
2). The canister does not "follow you around" as I would like.
3). The hose is really not long enough to reach some of the higher spots in my house that I like to dust (i.e. fans, air intakes, top of furniture)
4). Unit is not designed to be carried while vacuuming (or really at all for that matter).

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations