Published on December 20, 2011 by AJBeastro

3.0 out of 5 stars good vacuum but be careful!
Published on January 13, 2012 by checker

5.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself a ton of money, buy this refurbished Dyson instead of a new one!, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
I had been mulling the purchase of a Dyson for some time since two neighbors and my wife's parents all purchased the base model. While there apparently aren't many features that make this Animal version much different, I went ahead with this model anyway. I can tell you that you will want the brush tool for stairs as is actually raises the carpet back up just like the main roller does. I haven't used the flat-out tool yet but other things like the selectable carpet length buttons and long cord were both worth the upgrade. As for this model being refurbished, unless you were buying this as a gift and don't want to look cheap, I would recommend anyone look at this option before dishing out the full purchase price. The unit arrived in a plain cardboard box with all the accessories as a new model and I could not see anything that would indicate that it was previously used. The factory cleans every nook, replaces the filters, and I believe even replaces the cord and accessories as they appeared to me to never be used. I thought about the shorter warranty as being an issue but since these are built to be taken apart and be cleaned I think that almost anyone who is handy should be able to tell what's wrong is something were ever to come up. I've notice that Dyson sells replacement parts for literally everything that goes inside so saving half over new would probably take a long time to justify paying new even if you have a couple of things that need replacement down the road.

I LOVE this vacuum and would recommend it to anyone. After first thinking they were a gimmick, then sitting on the fence for a year, I am now Dyson groupie!

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall an excellent vacuum, September 29, 2013
Steve "Steve" (Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
I'll try to keep this as clear as possible but so there is perspective, let me tell you a little of my history. Over the past 6 to 8 years my family & I have purchased 6 Dyson's spread over 4 different models and with new Dyson we purchased it became more clear. All Dyson vacuums REQUIRE monthly routine maintenance. You have a choice relating to the methods of cleaning these vacuums. First, a garden hose with one of those little bitty brass nozzle attached on the end, this method will take longer to complete(mainly because of the drying time required). Second is an air compressor with an air chuck, this method is the fastest, start to finish only takes few minutes vs. hours with the garden hose. Alternatively, if you have no access to either resource you'll have to take your Dyson to a repair facility & furthermore I discourage the purchase of a Dyson. These are great vacuums but they are designed to perform to the limits of their materials & components. That being said, for someone to NOT keep the Dyson clean will result in a very bad experience. I can't stress the required maintenance enough & just so you know I gave my original Dyson to my mother who use to use a Queen Filter, her Dyson still runs perfect!!!

I typically will take my dyson out to the garage where I blow out the cyclone assembly (after emptying it) every 4-6 weeks. I follow-up this by spraying some glass cleaner or equiv, & wipe down all the rubber seals & their mating surfaces. Then use a belt dressing to keep the rubber seals soft & flexible (you can ask for this stuff at any auto parts store) & then a final wipe down. Lastly remove the sole plate from underneath & cut everything that's wrapped around the brushbar, check the belt & reassemble. Occasionally I take the pre & post motor filters out & blow them cleaner & wash the pre motor filter. Wash the filter from the white side towards the blue side with the faucet icons.

Here's the list:
1. Empty canister & use compressed air/garden hose to clean the cyclone assembly from the bottom up.
2. Wipe cleaner all rubber seals & mating surfaces.
3. Treat all rubber seals with Belt Dressing* & a final wipe down with a clean rag.
4. Remove sole plate, check belt, & remove all foreign objects from the brushbar.
5. Reassemble & check for proper operation.

The DC28 Animal is one of the last models that follow Dyson's original upright design. You might consider the DC28, the pinnacle of Dyson's original model. It terms of design & engineering, Dyson & his staff approached the task of vacuuming with a mentality of,

" ..the bigger, the stronger, the better it will perform."

This is almost too apparent with the DC28, even with it's name "Animal" & marketing phrase "Air Muscle". The DC28 in terms of suction is rated at 245 air watts this is 2nd or 3rd highest of all the Dyson products. A little side note one this, but if 245 airwatts isn't enough suction, you have the option to remove the HEPA filtration from the motor exhaust & gain ~15% more airwatts, but in doing so it become essential that you keep the cyclone assembly clean after every use. So you get the impression this is a stout machine, you're right & it weighs accordingly. Simply put, it's heavy, if you suffer from back problems or required to carry this up a flight of stairs, you may wanna consider a different model, it's not a feather lite machine. The push button controls for various floor surfaces work great & you'll know when you have the wrong settings as it will either be too difficult to push or you'll notice it leaving objects behind due to a lack of seal. Let your ears & arms tell you what' setting is correct for the flooring you're on.

Besides the cost involved in making the DC28, the engineering complexity is down right unbelievable. The DC28 contains almost as much wiring as a small computer (although the wires are much smaller in the Dyson) & the mechanics of utilizing a single motor for both brush bar rotation & suction is award winning. Additionally it should be noted that they did this, with only the use of modern plastics & a few pieces of metal. I'm not suggesting you tear into your Dyson to satisfy a curiosity, but just know that, if needed replacement are parts widely available & are not priced typical of other appliance mfg.'s like GE, MayTag, or Kenmore. Dyson parts won't cost you $50 for a simple plastic clip or screw, they'll be quite reasonable. Finally you should check out YouTube for the various repair & maintenance activities regarding your DC28, these can make a nearly impossible task on your own, into an easy DIY in around 5-10 mins. Just by following along with the videos.

All in all, Dyson's are a great products in the market place, though I have my doubts with their Ball Technology. The DC28 is a steal at $289.00 & they won't be around forever. One last thought, in reading this review, please check the box if this review was helpful or not, & remember we should all participate with your own reviews, don't just read the reviews, write your own as well, I'm certain at some point, I'll be relying on YOUR review for one of my purchases. Thanks!

Regards,
Steve aka Wormwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product at a Great Price, May 31, 2012
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
Even at the refurbished price, this was significantly more than we have spent on any vacuum cleaner before. But after a string of increasingly disappointing Hoover products, it felt like the time had come to experience something better. After extensive research, I settled on the reconditioned DC28. It was the right decision.

Some reviewers have mentioned that their reconditioned machines appeared unused. Mine did have a few minor indications of previous use, but overall it looks great and all the provided attachments were brand new parts. The "assembly" process takes only a minute or two and consists of clicking a couple of pieces into place.

Like others, I tested its power by vacuuming with our old upright and then covered the same newly "clean" carpet with the DC28. The Dyson pulled up an impressive amount of material that the old machine had left behind.

Some older reviews complain that the DC28 takes too much effort to push, but that was not my experience at all...I found it easy to push. I was also surprised and pleased at its easy maneuverability, and the smooth, quiet motor. The engineering, fit, and finish of the component parts is very impressive. The bagless design and washable lifetime filters are much appreciated for simplicity of operation and low cost of ownership. With two cats in the home and one of us being sensitive to allergens, this "Animal" vacuum has literally improved our quality of life.

The instruction booklet conveys ample information using just a couple of pages of illustrations. I registered the product with a painless web-based process.

I tend to have very good luck with refurbished products. I sometimes think that the technicians who inspect and rebuild products tend to have better skills and better understanding of the product than the factory assembly line workers who build them in the first place. Would I be happier if the warranty was more than six months? Of course. But I am not losing sleep that the product will fail prematurely, and considering the fact that one can buy two of the refurbished units for less than the cost of one new one, it is worthwhile trade-off.

I shop carefully, do my homework, and seek quality and value. This vacuum cleaner delivers both quality and value in a big way. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
Finally found the vaccuum that takes care of all the pet hair and debris that comes with owning 3 cats and 2 dogs. Powerful and efficient and so easy to use. All other vaccuums continuously clogged up in the long hoses even when emptying frequently, but not so with this one. Buying a refurbished saved me tons of money and when it arrived, on time and in good condition, I would not have known that it wasn't brand new. Great deal, great product and I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum!, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
I love everything about this vacuum. It has great suction, it glides easily, (I barely have to push it forward!) It's easy to use the hose, and it's super easy to clean. My dog sheds a lot and I am amazed at the amount of hair and debris this vacuum picked up--Right after using my old vacuum (different brand) on the same spots first! This is a refurb but it looks/performs brand new and I'm extremely happy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gotta have a Dyson!, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
A Dyson vacuum has been on my wishlist FOREVER and it was one of those things that my husband didn't want to buy for me because he doesn't think cleaning tools are good gifts, he likes to pamper through gifts, but after 5 years of marriage and 6 broken, suckless vacuums, he FINALLY had me order this one. As someone who hates spending alot of money (even for good quality, reputable products) i opted for the refurbished model to save enough money for me to purchase attachment packs to clean here there and everywhere. So far, in the first week of use, I have used it to clean all the baseboards in the house, the wainscoating (spelling??), the vents for the central air, 3 staircases, every carpeted surface in the house, every hard floor in the house, to reach a cobweb 4 feet above my head and it has not failed at any task! The only thing that keeps me from giving this a 5 out of 5 rating is the bulk and weight of it and the muscle it requires to use the super extenda hose. It weighs a good amount, and requires some muscle to push it on some surfaces (for some reason the thin area rug i have under my breakfast table is a BEAR to push this thing on). It self propels nicely on my regular living room carpet and works great on the wood floor. because of its size, you will NOT be running this thing under tables, under chairs, under the edges of cabinets, but the attachments work great and the suction is fantastic! I was able to park the vacuum on the landing and reach all the way to the top step, which was a nice treat, but by the top of the stairs, I was straining to make that happen. I imagine after more use that will become easier, but be prepared to put a little elbow grease into getting the most out of this baby. The noise level is acceptable, possibly even a little less noisy than my old hoover, eureks and bissells.

Not that it should have much bearing on a purchase of this nature, but the appearance of the machine itself is SEXY! the gray tones have a lot of luster, the hints of purple (in this model)...what can i say, it is just a pretty piece of engineering.

Overall, so far, I am very glad I spent the money that I did and now that I have experienced it, I think i would gladly have paid the money for a brand new model as well! Happy sucking!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, But Not Perfect, February 19, 2012
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
PROS: The DC28 Animal Refurb was received from Dyson looking like a new machine. Powerful suction, well built with outstanding carpet cleaning performance, except near molding (see CONS). Power brush does an outstanding job on stairs and removing cat hair from upholstery. Purchased for $299 and that, my friends, is an outstanding value! The hose deploys quickly and the attachments lock in place firmly, a newer feature that I really appreciate.

CONS: The DC28 is loud. More annoying is the high pitched ringing/buzzing noise heard by other reviewers when the brush head twists every so slightly or the vaccumn gets clogged (only once).

Clogged during the first week. I don't recall this happening with our first Dyson, which we owned for eight years before giving it to our daughter. It still looks and performs like a new machine! When the DC28 Animal clogs, the vaccumn locks up with flashing lights. Followed the directions in the manual, but wouldn't reset. Called Dyson Customer Service and was told that, although it's not stated in the manual, the vaccumn needed to sit unplugged for at least one hour. Not stated in the manual? Why not? Other reviewers have complained that it clogs frequently. We've owned the DC28 Animal Refurb for three months, but it only happened the once.

Other reviewers complain that the hose isn't long enough. They're right, but the vaccumn is light enough that I can work with this limitation, even on stairs.

Finally, despite it's cleaning power, the DC28 Animal is a lightweight when it comes to dirt and debris close to the floor moldings. I can't explain the disconnect here. This is when the quickly deployed hose and attachments come in handy.

CONCLUSION: We love this machine, even with the limitations noted above. While the warranty is only six months vs. five years for a brand new machine, we saved several hundred dollars on what is essentially a new machine. Thanks, Dyson!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
I have to say I was sceptical purchasing a refurbished unit- but because of Amazons wonderful return policy I bought this knowing that if it was a piece of junk I could return it. Let me also say we had an original Animal unit that is now several yrs old and had lost its suction/ power over the years. I still cringe at what we paid for that one.
With two dogs that shed ridiculously we can't live without this vacuum.
I ordered it on a Saturday and it was delivered Monday! This Vacuum looks brand new straight out of the box. Not one scratch or speck of dust. The suction is incredible! Makes me realize just how poorly our old vacuum was performing. My old vacuum would leave dog hairs underneath chair and table legs but this one has the power to pull it right out from being stuck under furniture legs.
I just couldnt be happier! Five stars because of the price and quality!

3.0 out of 5 stars good vacuum but be careful!, January 13, 2012
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
This "refurbished" vacuum was carefully inspected and repaired to insure customer satisfaction(paraphrasing). This is a bunch of bs. Trying to assemble the unit, i quickly discovered why this unit was probably returned to the store for a full refund. the hose locking clip was broken. However i quickly got on the phone to the service center and they sent me a new hose ,which was nice. Now i have a vacuum that works wonderfully and should provide years of faithful service. It does do a great job at picking up pet hair(2 dogs and a cat).

5.0 out of 5 stars Still cannot believe what my other vacuum was leaving behind..., January 12, 2012
This review is from: Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal (Kitchen)
First impressions? This vacuum is incredible. The picture I posted speaks for itself. First thing I did was vacuum the house using our old Dirt Devil Swift (not the Stick) upright bagless vac. Next I used the Dyson and was blown away by what was in the canister. We have 1 cat and it was full of hair and dander. Check out that picture.

I am a clean freak and vacuum at least every other week but had no idea it was that dirty in the carpets. A bit on the heavier side but not a con at all. I love the design and how the wand is actually the handle.

The attachment for furniture is really cool. It's like a small version of the main head. You just move it up and down on fabric. It found so much cat hair on our couch.

I should also mention this $299.99 refurbished vac direct from Amazon looked brand new. The canister was spotless and could not find a scratch anywhere. The only difference was the brandless box it was packaged in. 6 month warranty instead of the normal 5 year. I purchased a 2 year warranty on Squaretrade for $40.00 for piece of mind.

Have not tried it on hard floors yet...but 5 stars for sure.

Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal