5.0 out of 5 stars Still happy with my Dyson
I've used my trusty old Dyson DC07 for many years, but finally decided to upgrade to the newest model (my old one still works great, but I've been seduced by the ads showing off their new Ball technology). Dyson was having a sale on all models, so the time was right.

Published 17 months ago by Dorolei

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Dyson!
Published 22 months ago by Michelle Merkel

5.0 out of 5 stars Still happy with my Dyson, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner - Fuchsia - Pink (Misc.)

When it arrived, my husband put it together. I didn't hear any angry exclamations or confused mutterings from the next room, so it must not have been too difficult to figure out. I peeked at the instructions in the user manual and it's mostly a bunch of pictures and arrows; none of that "insert Tab A into Slot B" crap.

I took my new DC41 out for a test drive and I have to say that I was impressed. I did the "vacuum with my old machine and then with the new one to see how much the old one missed" test, and sure enough, the DC41 pulled up a significant amount of dust, dirt, and animal hair. (Considering it's ~10 years newer, it better outperform the old model!)

Compared to the DC07, the DC41 seemed to have about the same level of workmanship and sturdiness, but updated (the features are a little better thought out). I liked that the cord length was the same (possibly longer). The DC41 was much quieter, lighter, and smaller, especially at the front of the vacuum; this means I can finally vacuum underneath the cabinetry in the living room (the DC07 was too bulky to fit underneath). And of course, the DC41 is much more maneuverable due to the ball.

One reviewer complained that the cord must be completely unwrapped to use attachments because the top cord hook is attached to the hose. That was true for DC07 too, but at least on the DC41 you can simply twist the top cord hook 180 degrees to immediately unwrap (dump) the cord.

Another reviewer noted that the DC41 throws off a lot of heat. This doesn't bother me much, as I generally only vacuum one room at a time, but it could be an issue if you try to vacuum your whole house at once.

The air filters are HEPA, despite what another reviewer said. The manual does say that the air filters should be washed out every 3 months.

As for the accessory tools and brushes, this Complete model comes with several. Unfortunately, there's only room to store two of them on the vacuum itself. They do provide a rather nice fold-up bag to hold the remainder of the accessories, with room for acquiring more. The user manual does not explain the accessories, so here's a quick rundown:

* Combination tool - a 2-in-1 tool that effortlessly transforms from a debris nozzle to a brush tool for dusting and back again at the push of a button. This tool is stored on the vacuum.
* Stair tool - a small attachment tool with 2 red felt strips on the underside to attract pet hair. It is used for removing dirt and dust from corners and the vertical edge of stairs. This tool is stored on the vacuum.
- Tangle-free turbine tool - a large tool with 2 rotating brushes and 1 red filter wheel (?), all visible from the top of the tool. This tool is used for removing pet hair and dirt on upholstery, stairs, cars, and confined spaces without tangling up.
- Soft dusting brush - a large, elongated soft-bristle brush with clear plastic on top. It is used for dusting shelves, lights, electronics, and other delicate items.
- Stiff bristle brush - a small brush with stiff bristles. It is used for dislodging ground-in, stubborn dirt and dried mud.
- Multi-angle brush - a large attachment that kind of looks like a brush on the end of a U-shaped plastic tube. This brush is used for high-reach cleaning (ceiling fans, overhead lighting, etc.).

Basically, if you want a powerful, durable vacuum that never loses suction, then you should buy a Dyson. There are no bags to buy or replace, the timing belt is warrantied for 5 years, and the HEPA air filters are washable and guaranteed for life. It sucks well, maneuvers well, and works on carpet and hard flooring. Yes, you'll pay for this quality up front, but to me, it's worth the money to not be frustrated by my vacuum. You need the proper tool to do a proper job; it'll make your life a whole lot easier. I'm glad I bought this vacuum, my second Dyson.

**Update 7/19/13: So I've been using my Dyson for a little while now (~2 months), and I have to say that I'm still very happy with it. Even my husband, who is not prone to compliments, made positive remarks about it. My favorite features are the ball mobility and low profile at the front of the vacuum; vacuuming takes much less time and effort than it used to. A few more things I really like (not mentioned above):

- Vacuuming a room with multiple surfaces is much, much easier now. My old DC-07 had a manual switch on the base that you had to flip every time you switched from carpet to hard floors, and vice versa. My husband forgot to flip the switch most of the time; using the wrong mode greatly reduces its sucking power. The DC-41 automatically switches for you so there's nothing to remember and you can vacuum a little more effortlessly.

- The attachment hose wand thing simply extends from the base now. The old DC-07 required you to completely remove the wand, flip it 180 degrees, and then re-insert it. Using attachments on the DC-41 is much quicker and easier.

- Dyson moved the cord clip (the thing that keeps the cord from unwinding when you're done vacuuming) from the plug itself to just above the plug (on the cord). I couldn't understand why they did this until the first time I stepped on the plug with bare feet (my husband had left the vacuum unplugged with the cord all over the ground). It didn't hurt! Before, with the DC-07, the clip on the cord stuck up at a 90 degree angle from the plug. If you stepped on the plug, it was like stepping on a Lego piece - *OUCH!* Simply moving the clip to the cord itself ensures that the clip almost always lies flat in a harmless manner. Also, the plug no longer has any corners or sharp edges on it; it is round and smooth now.

These are all great examples of how the Dyson engineers are continuously tweaking and improving their vacuums. The cord clip on the DC-07 worked just fine, but had a minor inconvenient aspect that they obviously worked on and refined over the years. If the engineers were willing to put that much time and effort on such a minor feature of the vacuum, then how much time did they put into the most important features? This is a huge reason why I love my Dyson!

If you found my review helpful, especially the detailed description of the accessory tools and brushes, then please click on the "Yes" button below so it can help others too. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars UNBELIEVABLE, November 27, 2012
I have NEVER felt anything deserve a true 5-star rating but the Animal complete really does, the ONLY fault I found is the price but honestly if you want a clean floor it is worth it.

OK this is going to be a long one but I have to explain WHY this vacuum is so GREAT. This all started with a Hoover Self propelled wind tunnel vacuum which I thought was GREAT. We stumbled on a great deal on a Dyson DC14 ( $ 150 brand new in a target store on clearance a WHILE ago ) so we bought it and when I brought it home I gave it the TEST. I took the wind tunnel and vacuumed THOROUGHLY ( did the whole floor FOUR times ) and thought there was no way the Dyson was going to find ANYTHING because the wind tunnel was no longer picking up any dirt? When I put the DC14 to work I had a FULL canister in about five minutes - I was completely BLOWN AWAY with the performance of this vacuum and could not believe the amount of dirt this thing found. SEEING our Dyson is now about six or seven years old my wife thought we should look for a new one, I told here there is nothing wrong with the one we have BUT she got the bug for a new vacuum and any married man KNOWS how this goes. I was at BB and saw the Dyson's on sale and came across the Animal ( which I always kind of thought it was just a name for the vacuum, not for its purpose - people with Animals -duh- considering we have four Rottweilers, a Jack Russel, three cats and a bird and that is just what lives in the house I think we qualify as Animal owners lol ) and was curious about it and was checking it out when I noticed another Animal called the complete? I wondered what the difference was so I put the complete in my cart and brought it over to the standard animal to compare the two, glad I did to because it was the last one and another couple wanted to buy it. There was not much listed on the box to show the difference other than the complete came the a tangle-free power head and the Zorb cleaner? Considering the power head cost more than the difference in the two models I figured I'd go with the complete. I'm glad I did the complete came the the new tangle-free power head ( already had the old style since I bought the acc kit for my DC14 already ) PLUS "the DC41 Animal Complete comes with a tool bag, Stiff Bristle Brush, Soft Dusting Brush, Multi-Angle Brush, Zorb, Combination Accessory Tool, and Stair Tool whereas the standard animal only comes with a Combination tool and a Stair tool. The Combination tool has a debris nozzle that converts to a brush tool for dusting" so the complete is well worth the little bit more in cost especially since the acc kit I bought for my DC14 was $100.

Now the TEST, starting out I was like I am putting a Dyson against a Dyson there is NO WAY this is going to be like the test with the Hoover wind tunnel, I am SURE the results are not going to be the same. I took my DC14 and vacuumed thoroughly ( now this is after spending two days last week vacuuming and steam cleaning carpets to get ready for Thanksgiving ) I got the usual dirt I kept vacuuming until the dirt quit showing up in the canister and was quite cocky thinking there is NO WAY this DC41 was going to find ANYTHING. OMG was I WRONG - after about four minutes I had FOUR INCHES of sand in the canister! THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DC41 IS TRULY UNBELIEVABLE EVEN AFTER FOLLOWING ANOTHER DYSON! I am SOLD on this machine just when I thought I was living with clean carpets- Dyson out does Dyson. If you own ANY other vacuum and think your carpets are clean put the DC41 to work and it will show you how much was missed. THIS VACUUM IS AWESOME !

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!!, September 26, 2012
I was very hesitant to buy a Dyson at $650, but it is worth every penny. I did a lot of shopping around and Amazon is definitely the best price. ABSOLUTELY the BEST vacuum I've ever used, very light weight and smooth! I actually want to vacuum now! I previously owned the Hoover Windtunnel. The Dyson blows the Windtunnel out of the water!! Equally amazing on carpet and bare floors and no more stopping the vacuum to switch between the two. Lots of attachments for the hose (also best I've ever used).

There are several things I don't like (just being picky):
> No cord rewind (I got spoiled with the Windtunnel)
> Cord must be completely unwrapped to use attachments because the top cord hook is attached to the hose.
> A little unstable (easily falls over) while in standing position because of the ball.
> A little awkward to push around while it's not running- it doesn't lock into place and tilt up to transport.

All in all the Dyson is amazing and I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was hesitant to spend this much on a vacuum...but..., August 29, 2013
...I'm so glad I did!

For years I've been going through about one vacuum per year, always buying the cheap 'Sprawlmart Specials' and just holding my breath to see how long it will last thinking I'd just save myself the money instead of buying a 'high end' vacuum... When I actually did the math and realized I was spending roughly $150/$200 per year on these cheap vacuums I decided to break down and actually buy what was as close to top of the line as my pocketbook could afford.

When shopping and doing the research on what I should buy, Dyson of course comes to the top of the list when it comes to 'high end' so its where I started my research. My mother actually owns a legacy Dyson and was one of the first people to come to me and actually warn me away from getting one, she told me they were overpriced for what you get and generally just not worth the money.

So, I borrowed hers...admittedly...I was less than impressed.

The problem I have is that living in Arizona we have a huge dust problem, the desert is bad that way, and what most people don't realize is that it not only get onto and into everything, it also saturates your carpets. Mix that in with having a 20 pound cat and I really needed something I felt could cut through the dust and fur and give me that 'clean' feeling I wasn't getting from my cheap Sprawlmart specials.

While shopping at Target one night, I saw the DC41...the model I had been researching. Needless to say when I noticed it was almost $200 more expensive than the Amazon price I was rather shocked... I decided I should just finally bite the bullet and give it a try...

Amazon's extremely fast delivery later (thank you Prime!) I was unboxing and opening up my new Dyson.

First off, don't expect to pull the DC41 out of the box and use it. This thing was in about 47 pieces when it was delivered and it actually took about 10 minutes of reading the directions before I figured out which tab fit into which slot...kind of an embarrassing thing for an IT guy! I actually think Dyson ships them like this for one reason...you realize just exactly how many add-ons, accessories, parts, and items you're getting for your money. Not only do you get all the accessories that keep a gadget guy happy, but Dyson includes a hanging 'garment bag' type item to store your accessories when not in use, a nice high-end feeling touch.

The next morning after I work I whipped out my crappy Sprawlmart special and ran it over my living room floor (low carpet, the garbage new home builders tend to use in houses now a days) and then broke out the Dyson. I wanted to see if the hype was true.

Holy crap. After 5 minutes of vacuuming, the container was full of dust, dirt, and cat hair that the other vacuum had missed just minutes before. I was astounded. I was also amazed how the 'ball' design of this allows you to navigate and turn the Dyson in almost impossible angles just by moving your wrist, it's truly a work of art that has taken a lot of the tedious nature out of vacuuming.

I'm a guy, Vacuuming has always been one of those items I put off and put off as long as I can and the Dyson has taken a lot of that out of it for me as now I can quickly get through my entire house (thanks to the light and maneuverable feeling) in half the time it use to take me and to boot when I'm done the carpet has been 'restored' a bit and feels much more 'new' than when I started.

I'm overall extremely impressed with this Dyson and am considering one of the handheld units to supplement the DC41 on my staircase and for quick cleanups.

When you look at the price, yes it's obscenely high for something most of us don't even think about...but it genuinely is worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great vac, but needed a fix, August 19, 2013
So we ordered our Dyson DC41 Animal Complete in late March 2013... our DC07 was 13 years old and just not working as well as it used to. Wow - what a difference when I got to use the DC41! Love the ball technology, which is soooo much easier to maneuver! The slim profile of the vacuum head allows me to get a few inches under beds, couches and kitchen cabinets. The pet turbine tool sucks up the dog hair on our furniture and throw pillows. I vacuum once a week and this vacuum really picks everything up, whether it's an area rug, carpeting, hardwoods or tile.

Everything was fine for about 4 months, then one day my Dyson just wouldn't start. Nothing. I panicked a bit, but called Dyson support on a Saturday afternoon and the woman on the phone told me to drop off the vacuum at our local UPS Store and they would ship it to a Dyson repair center. The drop-off went fine and I didn't have to pay anything to have it shipped. We went on vacation a few days later and I called Dyson when we returned. They said there was an issue with the on/off switch and that it was fixed and being processed to ship back to us, all at no cost. While our DC41 was "in the shop," I had to drag out the old DC07, and wow, what a regression! That really made me miss my new Dyson LOL! But our Dyson arrived on our doorstep and has been working just fine. Having paid $600 for this vacuum, I really hope it lasts a long time... just grateful that Dyson covered all the costs to get ours repaired.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Dyson!, January 11, 2013
I had a DC28 that I liked up until it died :( I had it about 3 years, which considering I vacuum a LOT wasn't too bad. Vacuums have a tough job at my house, I raise and show Persians and Exotic Shorthair cats, we have an indoor/outdoor dog, and we live at the edge of the desert :) I wrote a nice review about the DC28. When it died I was excited to get my new Dyson home--my husband got me their new, top of the line vac--the DC41 complete.

The idea was great--the ball. In practice, not so much. It does maneuver nicely, but OMG it collects a LOT of debris and hair! Really yucky... I thought maybe it was just my carpets going several days without a good vacuuming... so I finished the first room, cleaned the ball off with a swiffer cloth, and revacuumed the room. Couple passes over a small area, and the ball was grody again :(

This thing does NOT suck like my old DC28. Not even close. It left a LOT behind--hair that I could see, and fine debris that I could see collecting on the ball... and in it's many grooves...

One of the things I did NOT like about the 28 was all the crevices dust and hair collected in. On the bottom, in the brush housing, behind the cleaner... But it had enough going for it, I put up with it. The DC41 is WORSE for all of that--and since it is all plastic, it attracts it.

The DC41 is NOT HEPA. That was a shock. HEPA is important to me for a couple of reasons--we have strong allergies in my house probably being the biggest of those. The new Dyson is "asthma and allergy friendly"--it is NOT HEPA. Further, it does a crappy job filtering. Run it in bright sunlight. Do some googling--the truth is out there--even their old HEPA vacs were pretty iffy, but this one is BAD.

This vacuum is ALL plastic. And cheap plastic at that--it feels fragile. The DC28 was largely plastic, but more robust, and several parts (like the wand) were metal.

Dyson's customer service was BAD. All I wanted to know was if this vac was HEPA or not. It was like pulling teeth--they didn't answer email inquiries... and dodged the question when I did get someone.

OK--so I DON'T like this vacuum... But it DOES have some good things... Dyson is fabulous at innovating... they just don't carry it through.

HERE ARE THE THINGS I LIKED/LOVED ABOUT THE DC41 COMPLETE:

If this was a canister vac, I would be sold. (But it is an upright, so we expect it to do floors decently!)

1.) The tools on this thing are fantastic! It has something to do every job I have exceptionally well, except floors. Love LOVE the tools... for furniture, sills, fans, stairs... the tools are fantastic.

2.) The suction thru the wand is GREAT. For everything but cleaning carpet, I loved this thing.

3.) No need to buy bags. If the filtration was good, not having to buy bags is nice--and the Dyson emptying mechanism is much better than other bagless vacs I have tried.

4.) The filters are made to last, and washable.

That said--mine went back after a week. I bought a Miele Jazz, and it is AMAZING. I've posted a review about it, if you are curious. It is carried through beautifully--powerful and CLEAN. No complaints about it at all, although I do wish it had more attachments available--or even better, included. But that is no tradeoff--the Miele does everything I need it to, perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing Sucks, October 16, 2012
I bought this Dyson (DC41) because my roommate is a 80lb Rottweiler pup. My old vacuum didn't do the job and couldn't remove fur that was caught in between the wall and carpet (where the dog sleeps). I quickly setup my new Dyson and went to work, the first thing I immediately noticed is how easy this vacuum is to maneuver and secondly the phenomenal sucking power. Anywhere the fur was stuck is now gone with one or two passes, amazing!
The attachments that arrive with the Dyson are top notch and easy to use.
Yes this is a pricey vacuum, but I think in the end it is well worth the cost.

1.0 out of 5 stars cheaper and less efficient than original, October 3, 2013
I have been a dyson user pretty much since the product was available. I am sorry to say that I think this will be the last penny I spend with this company.
Aside from being entirely too expensive, the quality of the machines has diminished to cheap plastic, no suction and basically no cleaning ability. This vacuum literally just pushes the dirt around rather than picking it up. If you have heavier than sisal grade pile carpet, this will not clean it.
Recently, i dropped a glass in the kitchen, and this would not pick up the smallest of shard and i found myself on my hands and knees picking up glass crumbs, which i thought was what a vacuum should be made to do?

I really think that Dyson WAS a fantastic brand that has gone by the way of making money over making quality...... do yourself a favor and buy a cheaper brand that will do a much better job.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply Made, Poor Quality Materials - Does not deserve the name Dyson, August 22, 2013
John F. (Claremont, CA) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying I've purchased 4 Dyson Vacs in the last 10 years. I have 2 dogs and vacuum daily, about 1000 sq. ft, mixed carpet and slate tile, so I vacuum a lot, but not excessive amounts.

This vacuum did not last 3 months before pieces started falling off. The first thing to go was the auto-leveling wheels. I've had issues with the auto leveler scratching the tile because it lost wheels on the bottom.

The main ball is also broken. It took about 5 months for this part to go. Instead of smoothly rolling, the ball has become somehow warped and while it still rolls, it's a pain to push and maneuver.

The main canister is coming loose from the body of the vacuum and it's only a matter of time before that breaks. Overall, the vacuum feels like a cheap piece of plastic junk. It has nothing of the build quality of my previous vacuums.

Yesterday, when I called Dyson and informed them of my problems, they were unsympathetic to my concerns and could obviously care less that I was a loyal customer with 4 Dyson purchases. It's hard to imagine a company being more short sighted. With their declining quality and terrible customer service, I cannot in good conscience recommend this company to anyone anymore.

One star is being generous, considering the amount of money I spent on this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short Life Vacuum, July 22, 2013
I have had this vacuum for 1-1/2 years and the hose split, the canister falls off, and it fails to stand upright. I called Dyson thinking the warranty would cover the issues and was told to buy any parts I need from Ebay or Amazon. I paid $641 (including the shipping). I would never recommend anyone purchase this vacuum. Dyson is good at marketing but does not stand behind their product.