Dyson vacuum on berber carpet I just had wall to wall berber carpet installed and discovered that it had to be vacuumed without using the brush. My Eureka doesn't have enough suction to pick up without the brush bar being on but then the carpet gets "fuzzy." Any comments on the Dyson's (or any other vacuum) suction power with the brush not in motion?
asked by K. Amberg on April 8, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
It's the vacuum 99% of the time. Dysons do not have an adjustable setting for pile height and a really aggressive roller/brush. No pile height setting means the base plate skids over the top of your carpet, pushes the yarns flat and then sucks them up high into the brushes of death. Higher the pile height, greater the chance for damage. Worst affected carpets are the high pile, shag like more expensive textured cut piles. Berber loops are only glued (expensive ones are woven) into the backings and have always been subject to unraveling of loops or slippage of yarn fibers. You need to be careful and repairs can sometimes be done. Characteristic of the style and in most cases not a defect.
Curtis Durand answered on February 18, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Which Miele?
Liz answered on February 13, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does any one know which is the best vacuum for Berber? What was the $50 vacuum? My Hoover wind tunnel doesn't work well it is too hard to maneuver even though it's powered.
Stanley Mikotowicz answered on May 10, 2009

A
Hi Folks Have wall to wall berber carpets 100% wool paid the price
got good qaulity weeve made the differance. I use a Miele with a soft brush no problems at all, just follow the weeve. Carpets are now 5 years old with no pile breakdown.You get what you pay for.We paid close to 3000.00 dollars for 900 square feet condo and got a good deal on the backing which is just as important.

Doug
Doug Humphries answered on January 14, 2011

A
I can relate! I found out AFTER the Dyson had ripped up my berber carpet that you're supposed to turn the brush off to vacuum berber. However, even with the brush turned off, it tore up more of the carpet. There's obviously something wrong with the vacuum cleaner. We've gotten zilch help with customer service. They actually told us to vaccum again and take pictures of the damage to prove that the vacuum is defective. It's a damned shame when a $400 vaccuum cleaner has to be taken out of service and replaced with a $50 cleaner that works just as well with no damage to my carpet.
Judith L. Nichols answered on October 1, 2008
Comment | 4 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does any one know which is the best vacuum for Berber? What was the $50 vacuum? My Hoover doesn't work well it, is too hard to maneuver even though it's powered.
Stanley Mikotowicz answered on May 10, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Our Dyson DC17 Animal worked great for a year or so. We had berber installed in our basement, and the vacuum worked great for the first few months. It now grabs onto strands and unravels our carpet at an alarming rate, ruining multiple sections. Even with the brush off, their appears to be something snagging the carpet that causes the same problem. It's doing the same thing to some area rugs that we've had for years. Loved the vacuum up until now.
A. Kelly answered on September 11, 2009

A
What vacuum cleaner works best with Berber carpet? Has anyone tried the hoover steamvac?
J. TOLEDO answered on September 14, 2009

A
I just got a very expensive berber installed. I have a great kirby g4 vacuum. It bounces all over the floor when I vacuum in one direction. The other it goes smoothly. The problem, how to you move the vacuum without going in both directions? We unhooked the beater brush--it is better, but still a pain to vacuum. We have only had the carpet for about a month and it is already looking fuzzy. i love my kirby, but not I hate to use it! how annoying, when I thought that I was making my life easier. It seems no one knows what vacuum will work, I only see a bunch of ones that won't! Any vacuums made for berber?
homeschool teacher answered on September 18, 2010

A
I'd love to know what you have found that works well on berber. We bought a house with all berber upstairs and I desperately need a new vacuum. We have a lab (sheds a ton! hair collects where the berber meets the wall) and little kids. I have a couple other rugs/carpets downstairs but mainly I need something that works well on my huge upper level that is all berber (stairs too! Ugh).
Kthinks answered on April 12, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product