5.0 out of 5 stars For true DMX fans
Published on November 11, 2002 by Neka

1.0 out of 5 stars I dislike it
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone, if I could return it, I would. I didn't enjoy this book at all. It was a waste of my time to even finish this book. The only reason I purchased this book, because I had purchase his wife book Tashera Simmons .Well I didn't purchase his wife's book, it was giving to me from my daughter and it was a nice read. So I was curious to...
Published 6 months ago by Unknown

5.0 out of 5 stars For true DMX fans, November 11, 2002
Neka (Grand Rapids,MI) - See all my reviews
Have you ever wondered about the rage, passion, and intensity of DMX, well this book will answer all your questions and more. I read this book cover to cover in one day--then I read it again! This book is full of ups and downs, slips and falls, and enough sruggle to make you look at your own life and try and find answers to the questions that have always been in the back of your mind. Read this book you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars E.A.R.L.- Ever Always Real Life, November 28, 2003
This book was one of the best books that I have ever read, and I am a very avid reader. Most autobiographies read like television documentaries and tend to leave out a lot of stuff. DMX keeps it as raw as could be. Starting out talking about how he constantly still has nightmares,Earl takes us on a journey through Yonkers where he grew up without a father and a mother who didn't care. Growing up people always referred to him as Crazy Earl and problem child, and he made it true for them. Resorting to robbing and stealing, Earl began his incarceration at the age of 10. Going from groups homes to the hole, he found lyrics to help ease all of the pain that he suffered. The only solace in his life came when he found his wife, Tashera, and then he was shown unconditional love. She stuck by his side through his drug addiction and was there for him when he got beaten up so badly his jaws were wired shut for four months. This book is a must read for young boys who think that they want to live a street life. This could also be an eye-opener for a lot of adults who don't understand rappers and "hoodlems. Most of these people don't chose this lifestyle, it chooses them and they have to live with it.
In the words of DMX,
"To live is to suffer, but to survive, well, that's to find meaning in the suffering".

5.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography of X: Get at it DOG!!!, November 14, 2002
C. Wilkerson "Wilk" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Just finished the book and man is it deep. X is one of a kind. It's his soul expressed to us in a book. I went back and started watching his old videos and noticed that the book mirrored some of them (Slippin). The guy is off the chain. Brings back memories of when i first heard 'Get At Me Dog' but what makes it great is learning how long and what it took for him to get there. You gotta pickup this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Earl...The Life of DMX, October 7, 2004
It's amazing how Earl Simmons aka DMX can overcome such a problemed childhood and become one of the most admired Icons. When you watch a famous person on T.V. or listen to them on the radio the first thing that you think about is how rich they are and how famous they are, but you never think about how much they've been through to get this far in life.

As a child DMX was abused by his mother and didn't have anyone to take care of his except for his grandmother, which his mother rarely allowed him to go see her. Growing up in the Projects in Yonkers didn't make it any easier for him. Life was very rough for him, but his passion for music opened a brand new life for him, which completely turned his life around.

Reading this book was one of the best things i did in my humanities class this year. I couldn't stop reading this book once i started. Reading autobiographies was always one of my favorite things to do because they can teach a person a lot about life in general. Learning from peoples mistakes can help you in life by teahing you not to committe the same mistakes they've made.

I would recommend this book to everyone who's a DMX fan and everyone who likes to read about someone else's life. In my opinion i think it's one of the best autobriographies out there. So go get it ASAP

4.0 out of 5 stars E.A.R.L., May 18, 2003
TJ HOLLOWAY (Gibsonia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Earl Simmons, the rapper better known as DMX, has had his first four albums enter the charts at No. 1. He is the only artist ever to start off on such a successful streak. That record is especially notable because, in a hip-hop world rendered blindingly bright by a diamonds and bling bling atmosphere, DMX keeps it ruthlessly real. His songs are ferocious, street level battlegrounds, charged in equal part by explosive violence and a desperate yearning for spiritual redemption. Those same currents drive his autobiography, a collaboration with the journalist Smokey D. Fontaine. DMX makes no effort to justify his violent robberies that provided his livelihood for long stretches of his teens and early twenties. He depicts himself in such incorrigible terms, that by the time he's beaten so badly that his jaw needs to be wired shut for three months, you feel he's gotten only what he deserves. Somehow, you're rooting for him every step on his long, slow climb to stardom. That contradiction sums up why this book is like hip-hop at its best. It's a fearsome narrative that raises many more issues than it resolves, and leaves the reader feeling both exhilarated and deeply unsettled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to see E.A.R.L has an average 5 star rating!, May 23, 2005
Man, this book was off the hook. I was stuck to this book. I read it 2 years ago. I bought a copy for my cousin and two of friends just because knowing how good this story was I new it would be a good gift. One of my friends I bought the book for was speechless, he said he had no comment it was so good.

I had no idea D.M.X had this type of life. You never know what anyones life is like until you read or hear about it so thats why I had no Idea about D.M.X life. But I am glad he decided to put of a biography. The only down side to the book is that since he wrote the book there has been more things that have happend with him that is all book wirthy, Im sure. He may have to follow his book up with a continuation book. I would read it.

The whole book is interesting and intense from his days as a young boy hearing his moms friend cuss and how she cuss good. he said some people cant cuss right but this lady cuss perfectly. To when he escaped from a juvinile facility and was staying with some boy who left him in his basement and never came back. And DMX ended up getting to know the boys family and he said the mother sat on the couch watching to much T.V.

To later on in the book when he got jumped by some guys family members because they thought DMX jacked him, which he did`nt. But it was like the boy that cried wolf story with this incident, because DMX robbed so many people it was hard to believe that he did`nt rob this boy. Those men really beat DMX up! His song was Debuting on the radio when he took that beating. Got his Jaw Broke and much, much more.

The book was one of my favorites!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep Yep!, July 29, 2005
DMX spits fire in all his raps! This is one of the realist ni&^&'s in the industry. He could do it all. He could rap act and write. One love to DMX for life

5.0 out of 5 stars DMX The Great, May 29, 2003
The book EARL is one of the most appealing books I have ever read. I don't even like to read. But I really liked this book. What got me going as I was reading are the good beginnings of each chapter. The book is about a boy named Earl who lives in Yonkers, NY with his abusive mother. The ghetto, he was living in at that time inspired him to become a rapper because of all the MC s around the streets. It tells how Earl grows up gradually becoming a well know rapper today by the name of, DMX. I thought that was interesting, especially since it's a true story. Plus I like his music a lot. So I thought that it would be cool to learn more about him. However, EARL is a book that junior high - middle school kids should read because the book contains explicit content (foul language and some violence). But I know they will enjoy it!
-Molly

5.0 out of 5 stars E.A.R.L., July 15, 2003
This book is a MUST read for anyone who loves hip hop and is intrigued by rapper DMX. I admit when I got this book I put off reading it for awhile because I thought it was gonna be your average biography type book BUT was I suprised!!! This autobiography read like a novel and as you turn each page you want to read more and to know more about DMX. He holds nothing back and is just as raw as his rhymes; you will learn alot about him you would have never even believed if someone else told you but this IS his story. Read this book and you'll feel like you've known him all your life. He definitely has earned his place in the spotlight. Much luv, X!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Even Darker Side to Dark Man X, April 12, 2005
M. LaCour (Cincinnati, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: E.A.R.L.: The Autobiography of DMX (Paperback)
I was intrigued by this book after I read the first 5 pages. I never knew how much he went through until I read this book. DMX pours his heart and soul into this book and left no stone unturned. He talks about his days as a robber, an addict, and even falling hard for women. Before I read this book, I thought that what he said in his raps were mostly fiction. Now, I know that X is spitting fire from his heart. Cats who say X is the best, know he still is and thats the truth.

E.A.R.L.: The Autobiography of DMX
E.A.R.L.: The Autobiography of DMX by D M X. (Paperback - October 21, 2003)
$15.99 $11.90