Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Size: Inquiries - by email|Change

on January 4, 2007
Spend the couple of extra dollars on this. The wide range of movement on the dial makes it easier to see small differences between individual cells in a battery. It dosn't say so on the web-site, but on the box it states that it self compensating for tempurature.
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2014
I am legally blind, so reading 48 cells in my backup battery system to see if I need to equalize every month is a real chore. I would buy a digital meter if they were affordable... Sigh.

This meter is extremely easy to read. However, it is critical that you develop a little skill to get a repeatable reading (this is also true of all other hydrometers, FYI). What I have found is that I need to load/unload 2-3 times (to make sure I have stirred up the battery fluid), hold carefully so it is vertical, maybe tap carefully, and WAIT for the mechanism to settle. The fluid is thick enough that it takes a few seconds to let it settle. Make sure no bubbles are stuck on the sensing wheel.

In conclusion, this device does not eliminate the difficulty of getting a repeatable and accurate reading, but it does give you a way to see the reading much more easily.

Don't purchase this if you think you can just dip and read. Sorry, it takes developing skill just like other hydrometers. If you can't go back to a cell and get the same reading you got the first time, keep working your skill development until your readings are consistent.

The product does what it claims: it makes reading the value easy.
on November 24, 2009
Short of a laboratory grade instrument, this hydrometer gets the job done. I use it to monitor my solar power system battery bank, so it's important that it gives accurate and repeatable measurements. The built-in temperature compensation is a help - no need to use cumbersome and confusing compensation charts. My only (small) complaint is that you need to be sure that the device is level when filled with battery acid or the reading will be off a bit. If you pay attention to this detail you'll be fine.
on July 30, 2007
Easy to use and quickly shows which battery (and which cells) are good, fair or poor. I have two old golf carts that have questionable batteries, and its always been difficult to determine which battery to replace (other than by age), and when I did this I quickly found the bad battery in each cart, and when replaced greatly improved the charging and charge holding capacity of each GC. For the price, you can't beat it.
This item turned out to be awesome. Given the price, I thought this was going to be made of cruddy construction, but it's actually a quality tool. The bulb does not come off, and is sealed very well. Easy to rinse.

Just remember to use something harder than your finger to tap on the side of the device to eliminate the bubbles during operation.

I had no problems using this. It worked perfectly for me.

Highly recommended.
on December 18, 2010
[edited] Upgrading from 2 to 3 stars.

Overall, this tool will do a good job of letting you know whether any of your cells are bad. If that's all you need to know, then it's is a fine product.

I found, however, that the readings are not consistent enough to provide accurate measurements. Test after test usually ranges plus or minus a graduation (about .025 each).

Previously, I had a complaint that it was difficult to tell if the proper amount of fluid was being used because the meniscus (curvature of the liquid) didn't match with the fill-to line, but was informed that standard practice is to read at the bottom of the meniscus. I may have known that at some point, but certainly forgot about it. So, it turns out I've been using a number of devices incorrectly, but unfortunately with this one the readings are still inconsistent. Regardless, I've found this item to be useful enough that I'll give it a star boost.
on August 27, 2011
The are dozens of battery hydrometers on the market that will measure Specific Gravity accurately at 77 degrees F so the State-of-Charge of each cell can be determined. What sets this product above the others is its temperature compensation capability allowing accurate State-of-Charge readings in a wide range of temperatures found in the real world. Excellent value for the money!
on June 2, 2013
The hydrometer is small so the volume of electrolyte that must be drawn is small. This is important for small batteries such as the one in the Honda CRV. The device can be easily leveled by just sighting the water surface and comparing to a line near the top of the device. The pointer is small, and the markings on the surface are precise
on January 11, 2010
This thing really helped me diagnose problems with a couple deep cycle batteries. I found one completely dead cell in one and weak cells in another battery.

It is kind of creepy to be that close to acid but it has to be done.
on January 26, 2016
Compact; easy-to-use; and easy-to-read -- automatic temperature-compensating, so there's no need to calculate anything.
Comes in plastic pouch.
Ranges are color-coded - Red = Low; Blue = Fair; Green = Good.
Graph shows electrolite specific gravity from 11.00 to 13.00.
MUCH easier to use and read than the "tube and float" types.
I've tried a lot of different makes and types of hydrometers over the years, and the E-Z Red SP101 is the best I've ever used !
Every wet-cell battery owner should own and use this handy hydrometer -- it makes it really easy to check and maintain your expensive (!) automotive battery.