Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2009 8:37:21 PM PST
Luk3 says:
The Sims 3 is NOT a sequel to the beloved Sims 2 or even related to any true Sims game (eg. The Sims and The Sims 2). Instead, the Sims 3 is a console version done right. As in, it's not necessarily about time-management or relationships or non-linear gameplay or anything that the original Sims was about but something entirely different... More like a live-action "Sims" spin off.

This new expansion pack only proves that above claim for anyone who doesn't believe me as this EP is nothing but "adventures" for your Sims to go on. This EP doesn't add a new neighborhood or a new part of town or anything really of interest but foreign locations, three to be exact (all that sound lackluster), wherein you aren't even going on vacation as you would on The Sims 2 (With that one EP) but instead you're going on some "adventure."

The Sims isn't an adventuring game but rather a non-linear, life simulator. Not true with the Sims 3. Let's not also forget how EA purposely withheld content from the release to be sold day one online as not only a means to further drain customers but to install their dreaded Securom (Yes, you need to download their Download Manager to infect your computer before you could purchase anything that should've shipped with your game or to download the "free" town).

Now to find out this EP isn't the normal $30 but instead $40! Are they crazy? I'm going to guess no, the crazy ones are possibly you and those people you know, and those who reply back and certainly those who buy this after having bought The "Sims" 3.

EA was the first to raise prices on EP. They used to cost $25 back when buying my EPs for UO but then EA raised it to $30, which others followed, and now it looks like they're aiming for $40. there is no way I would buy this EP for $20, heck, I didn't even buy the Sims 3, but for those who DID buy the Sims 3 don't be a fool and buy this now too as you're only going to give the go-ahead for EA to continue ruining games as well as the industry and for them and others to raise the price on EPs.

Boycott EA and certainly this horrible installment into the series now ruined by EA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2009 9:34:27 AM PST
Cory says:
I love how people keep saying the series has been ruined, but overwellmingly, the fans are buying up the game and liking it.

When will people earn that your opinion at the end of the day represents you... not the world.

The sales of the sims3 are quite steady, and seeing as you havent played world adventures... isnt it a bit premature to be trashing it?

I say we boycott idiocy... thats something worth boycotting.

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 10:17:34 AM PST
Serene Night says:
I like the sims 3. I will be buying the expansion. Its one of the few games I play anymore. Sorry, won't be joining the boycott.

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 2:37:11 PM PST
Yep i agree if you love Sims 2 so much go play that and stop whining!

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 6:56:22 PM PST
Cory says:
World Adventures (aside from the save error) is actually really fun. You actually have to think when playing more than you usually do. It requires a bit more strategy than normal for a sims game. I have only explored egypt, but some of those tombs are huge. I am heading to china next.

plus, it only cost me 30 bucks for the expansion pack thanks to my best buy reward zone getting a instant 10 bucks when i got my desktop for college.

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 9:33:00 PM PST
JHeart says:
For Cory [this is way off topic, kinda] - I have yet to buy it, I will be this weekend. Could you elaborate on the save error? What did you mean by that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 3:09:06 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 20, 2010 3:50:03 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 11:27:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2009 11:29:28 AM PST
Erika says:
I'm not Cory, but the "save error" he/she mentioned is a weird glitch. You go to "save" and it won't work. Instead, go to "save as," save the game, and the glitch goes away. You'll be able to save normally after that.

Overall, not a big problem.

The game is actually a lot of fun so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 11:34:20 AM PST
JHeart says:
Thanks so much Erika! Hopefully it's something they take notice of and fix :)

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 11:38:37 AM PST
Erika says:
I know there has been some stir about it, and I think actually that temporary fix has been mentioned either on their website or The Sims 3 website.

Also, I forgot to mention - I haven't encountered any problems myself, so there's a very good chance you won't have any issues at all.

This game is a lot more fun if you're open to the new possibilites it offers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 11:51:57 AM PST
JHeart says:
Good point. I was actually wondering about that. With Sims 3, a lot of the "bugs/glitces" did an update on - I didnt even have to begin with. So hopefully I get lucky with World Adventures and the saving issue. But honestly it sounds like it's not even that big of a deal. I look forward to getting the game as I am an avid Sims 3 fan with hardly any complaints about it. Thanks for your insight :)

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 1:19:29 PM PST
Cory says:
I think they put a patch out today to fix the save error. I also recommend not saving while on vacation. my save errors started there, and once a game save is corrupted, I couldnt fix it, so deletion was the only option.

I regularly delete anyways, so I wasnt too put off.

I am really looking forward to seeing what the sims players do with tomb building.I think basements can be 4-5 stories deep, so I can totally see people building huge tombs for people to challange. I am already starting to design tombs in my mind that cant be done solo, but you need to direct 2-3 sims to complete. like, you have to do traps in specific orders, and sometimes, you have to trap some sims in danger to get passed on trap, and eventually, that sim will be trapped to open the triggers to untrap another, or something like that.

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 2:56:16 PM PST
Xander says:
Sims 3 is great, call me crazy but i actually enjoyed it more then Sims 1 or 2. World Adventures is really fun too, between becoming a Martial Arts Master and a Indiana Jones (or Lara Croft for the girls) theres alot of content. I'd almost go as far to say its like a mini RPG in the sense you 'level up' your Visa from Adventuring which allows more time for Adventuring. True I waited until it was 28$ as it is now, because I would not pay more then 30$ for a expansion pack but at least it was a short wait, though I do agree with one thing, its pretty sad EA withheld content to sell it in the Store but I'll never buy points from them, I just use the Free points i get from buying their games.

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 3:35:23 PM PST
Rosie Lynch says:
I love the new EP! I think it's a great improvement from former traveling expansion packs, (i.e. The Sims 2's Bon Voyage.) When visiting destinations Sims have more purpose, by working toward achieving higher visa levels, in addition to taking actions that fufill wishes. The adventuring aspect of the game especially appeals to me, as I've always had this fascination in worldly travel as well as archeology. My game is up-to-date, with all of the most recent patches installed, but I've still come across a major problem while playing: I'm unable to change households. When I first started up World Adventures I eagerly created a new couple that I planned to do a lot of exploration with, and I was able to move the sims into a house as play with the household as normal, in Sunset Valley, France, and China. However, every time I attempt to lo select a family that I had played with prior to installing the new EP, the loading screen never displays, and the town map disappears completely, leaving me with absolutely no other options except for pressing ctrl-alt-delete and ending the Sims program from the task manager screen. Has anyone else experienced this same problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 8:46:17 AM PST
JHeart says:
Oh the patch, it only created many more problems [food spoils, uncollectible deeds, etc] - I cannot wait until they fix that. It's become quite an issue for me. But anyways I just got W.A and have no idea where to start which is great. I didnt want it to be a simple process or simple EP and it's not.

But I had to ask, what do you mean by regularly delete? I'm an avid Simmer and wasnt aware that you could what? Delete files? My game loads and runs fine, but I'm never opposed to making things even better.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 9:16:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2009 9:20:58 AM PST
Go to the official forum at TheSims3.com and read the posts there for World Adventure. You will see there are several more bugs than are listed here like sims and entire sim families vanishing when you try to take them to one of the destinations or the game spawning some duplicate of your sim that you can't get rid of. I think my favorite one is where the sim was single, goes to one of the destinations and then after he/she arrives suddenly has a spouse and children.

Luckily, I haven't had these yet. I continously have to "save as" because save still doesn't work for me and my game crashes randomly every little bit. I never had the problems before the expansion and I have no custom content other than some of the official EA stuff from the store and have never used mods. I found on the official forum that the game will run the FPS on your system VERY high. I used Cntrl-Shift-C and typed "FPS on" to see what mine were and the were averaging between 170-195 and going as high as the 300's at some points. They should be at 30 or below. So if you don't find a way to control that, you can burn up your video card. This was also causing my crashes. I have a great system and an NVidia card so I turned on V-Sync but it only kept me within the 190's so I downloaded an FPS Limiter which now has me under 30 and the crashing has stopped.

My point is, there are a ton of bugs that people are finding every day. I wish I would have waited until it was all fixed before investing in this.

As for the adventures, they are far too simple. You've explored one tomb, you've explored them all. It basically the same thing in every location but it only looks different. It's already gotten boring to me. It also doesn't take very long to get to level 3 of the Visa and if you purchase the "Learned Traveler" (or something like that) with your lifetime wishes points, you can stay longer on ANY trip no matter what visa level you are.

On a positive note, the towns themselves look amazing and i do like how they can learn songs that are specific to that location. Once they learn a song, they can then teach it to other sims. I had my sim teach a french song to a lady in China. I thought that was kinda cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2010 11:26:27 PM PST
Cory M. Warren says:
I love how people keep saying the series has been ruined, but overwellmingly, the fans are buying up the game and liking it.

>>Just wait! ;) I don't see anyone buying up Pong. EA's glory days are over...and while they may squeeze a few remaining drops out of their customer base...for this very reason they are on their way out. The time is ripe for a new company to emerge...and the customers will literally fall over themselves flocking to anyone who shows an iota of caring about the customer. EA Sims3 is so full of bugs and glitches...and the expansion pack...I mean NO MENS ROOM IN THE FRENCH CAMP BECAUSE SOMEONE FORGOT TO PUT A MENS BATHROOM DOOR IN THE GAME? Lame.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 11:23:28 PM PDT
Ngoc H. Lieu says:
Well, people, who just like me, read the reviews but buy the game anyways = make the sims 3 sales go up. But after I bought the game, I regretted it. I wished I have never bought it D: The sims 3 almost like an RPG. I would rather play some other RPG than this. This mixture somehow does not work well with me, personally. It is a discourage even though some others says World Advanture expansion is not bad. Don't really want to waste that money while I can use it for something else better. Just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 10:29:42 AM PDT
I too contributed to the sales going up. I didn't play the game very long before I got bored though and went back to my Sims 2. I was tempted when I kept seeing the Adventure Ep's all over the place, but now I am so glad I didn't give in to that! I know it's just personal preference on my part. I love having the whole neighborhood to control and not just one family.
Really, it does seem that EA has a problem whenever they first release a game/ep. And, I do agree that if another company emerges that really seems to care about it's customers and has some good ideas behind them then EA's time very well could be over. On the plus side, as an EA customer I have gotten VERY good at trouble shooting and fixing computer problems on my own :)

Posted on May 20, 2010 6:09:57 AM PDT
Annoyed says:
My biggest gripe is when I try to leave China, my Sim has no home to go to. I'm stuck in China....I don't wanna be stuck in China. Anyone know how to fix this?

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 11:24:46 PM PDT
EA isn't the crazy one it seems. The sheep are happy to take anything EA shells out and are too frightened to ask for QUAILITY. I wish Will Wright sold out to Blizzard instead, then we would have the quailty LIFE SIMULATOR game, instead of these damn BETA rpg wannabe Sim games.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 2:52:26 PM PDT
Cedric says:
Or you could just wait for the price of the game to fall, like I've been doing. There's a ton of free third-party skins, houses, and even worlds to play with.

Hint: This works for most software and technology.

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 5:29:24 PM PDT
MirMar says:
As I am writing this it is March 20th 2011. The Sims 3 games were great and I have the Ambitions, World Adventures, Apartment Life and Late Night expansion packs along with one or 2 of the "stuff" packs and they were working great and were very entertaining until the last patch. Now, like many, many other owners, I can't save my games. Even when it seems to work I never know what to expect or how much game play I will lose. Last night my saves seemed to work and this afternoon I went back in to find I had lost about my last 50 saves! I tried calling customer support and tried everything they suggested to no avail. I am not alone in this. There are tons of customers with this same problem. Nothing seems to work. Right after the patch I lost my entire Sims 3 family I was playing! Now I realize that it could easily happen again. It isn't much fun playing a simulation game when you have to start from scratch every time you want to play.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack
The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack by Electronic Arts (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (217)