5.0 out of 5 stars Sweat inducing game with great presentation
I wasn't aware EASA2 came out yesterday and I decided to do something I usually never do: buy an expensive product without reading the reviews. Totally worth the gamble.

Published on November 17, 2010 by Mikhail Popov

3.0 out of 5 stars Better, but still not perfect
Published on November 25, 2010 by Exercise Happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweat inducing game with great presentation, November 17, 2010
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

The game comes with two programs you can enroll in: a 9-week exercise program and 3-week cardio program. It's recommended that you start off with the 3-week one but I decided to jump into the 9-week one. You're also given a choice between 3 difficulty levels (which you can adjust at a later time): Easy, Medium, and Hard. I went with Hard and it definitely showed. It was a great 30 minute workout that had me sweating hard by the end.

I bought the PS3 version which uses three sensors that connect wirelessly to a USB peripheral. One goes on your left forearm, one on the right, and the last one goes on your right thigh. Setting everything up was a breeze and after I completed the avatar creation process (which you shouldn't expect much from if you're a heavy RPG player like me), I filled out some surveys for the in-game journal (for better tracking) and then proceeded with my first workout session using EASA2.

So far I've found the music tracks enjoyable but I'm probably going to make my own playlist and import it into the game pretty soon. The exercises are wonderfully paced and the mountain bike one is a lot of fun. You can make custom workout sessions and track all the progress you've made and create schedules and view your workout calendar.

All the data is stored on EA's servers and a lot of it is accessible from EASportsActive.com; the companion website is mostly functional but does have a few janky (buggy) moments. EA is not known for excellent launches (online stat tracking for Battlefield Bad Company 2 was an atrocious mess for the first few weeks), but you should expect excellent functionality soon.

If you're interested in doing this thing with a partner, the game features a 2-player mode if you buy another set of sensors (so far EA is only selling bundles) and that seems like it might be really fun. I don't have friends willing to shell out $110 on something like this but I can see couples getting a lot out of buying 2 bundles.

If you're even remotely interested in exercising at home without buying monetarily and spatially expensive equipment, then EA SPORTS Active 2.0 is the product for you. Recommendation based on the first day impressions? Buy it.

P.S. The bundle comes with a resistance band but neither the manual nor the game instruct you to put it together prior to starting your workout. Just when I was really getting into it, I had to pause the whole thing in order to set up the resistance band. It's a bit of a lame oversight on the developer's side, but definitely not a deal breaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Fitness on the PS3, November 18, 2010
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
EA Sports Active 2 for PS3 comes with everything you need in the box. It doesn't use the move controllers. This is so exercises can be hands-free in case you wanted to use weights with some of the resistance routines.

If you are looking for an alternative to the gym or a personal trainer... I would recommend this over any other fitness title as it provides real exercises instead of routines where you can only wonder if you are getting an effective workout. The routines and programs in this software were designed by personal trainers.

You can have the software create a workout routine for you focusing on cardio, upper body, lower body, core, or full body. You can also create your own personal routines. When you create your own routine, the software lets you know what percentages of the body you are covering. Such as 50% upper body, 20% lower body, 10% core, 15% cardio. This is so you can be sure you are tailoring the workout to what you want. There won't be any guessing on if you are working the body effectively.

There is a 21 day cardio program and a nine week total fitness program which also features weekly fitness tests that measure how long it takes for your heart rate to recover.

This software uses motion sensors to make sure you are doing the exercises properly. These may present a problem initially for some people as they may put them on incorrectly. They aren't difficult to put on, it's just one may overlook something about them when first using them. Overall, they work excellent.

Two people can play if there is an extra set of motion sensors. These should be available for purchase from the EA website.

The heart rate monitor is accurate as well as it shows you and saves your heart rate data. This enables you to see your intensity levels on your workouts. You can make sure you are working out in the right zone and not overdoing it or underdoing it.

There is a journal that is optional for you to fill out that keeps track of your nutrition and workout progress. If you already know quite a bit about fitness and nutrition, you may find this repetitive. I do, I still choose to use it though, it makes it easier to know your eating patterns over time compared to writing it in a book. I know on my days off of work, I choose to eat more snack type foods. So at the end of the day, you just answer about 10 questions of what you ate and drank that day and that's it.

If you don't know anything about nutrition or are confused by it, they have built in, easy to read and follow nutrition charts on what is good to eat and what you should avoid. These are very easy to follow and I highly recommend them to someone who wants better nutrition but do not know where or how to start.

Also, if you don't know the first thing about exercises and/or are just starting out exercising, the lead and follow exercises the virtual personal trainers perform are great. There are also tutorials before an exercise begins.
Not only are there the traditional exercises and stretches, but there are also "games" which cover up the "exercise" to make fitness fun. There is mountain boarding where you have to run up hills and jump from rail to rail. This covers up the running in place and squat jumps you are doing.

What I like about this software alot is that when you are doing an overall workout, you aren't doing one type of exercise for 20 or 30 minutes. It moves from one exercise to another smoothly and quickly. So you may be doing 20 mini exercises in a 30 minute workout for example. The way it is laid out though, it covers the body areas you chose to focus on and you don't get bored doing one exercise for 20 minutes. I think this is the thing that will keep me at it long term for myself.

To sum up, whether you are familiar with working out or not, this is a real fitness product. If you don't know where to start concerning exercise and nutrition and wonder if you should join a gym or hire a personal trainer, I would recommend this. It's cheaper than a gym and a trainer, although some people do better in that setting.

The PS3 version also will feature downloadable workouts as well to keep things fresh.

written by The Fun Zone Nutrition Health Fitness - If you are looking for a higher resistance band than the one that comes with the package, on the site there is a chart of weight equivalents for thera band resistance tools.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better, but still not perfect, November 25, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I am a sucker for any product that's going to make my workout more fun. I own both previous version of this game, and faithfully ran out to get this one the day it was released. I am in good shape and have done intense workouts in the past such as p90x, so I consider myself an advanced exerciser. I am probably not the target audience for this product, but if you are like me, maybe this review will help you. If you are out of shape and don't exercise, go buy this product right now and start using it! If not, read on...

EA Active 2 is by far the best exercise video game available, so if you have already decided to get one, definitely get this one. However, compared to most other forms of exercise its still lacking, will annoy the crap out of you, and probably end up not being used. Some of the issues from previous versions have been improved, but there are still enough annoyances that you can't get through a workout without getting frustrated and slowed down by the technology.

Lots of people have written about the pro's and improvements so I'm just going to say what I think they left out. The program still gets stuck waiting for you to 'stand up and stay still' between reps of many exercises. Even when standing completely still I sometimes have to wait 10 to 20 seconds for it to continue. It is still too slow to register when you have gone into a position (faster than before, but still too slow!). The avatar tracking of any running type motion, including high-knees and kick-ups is still terrible. Sometimes it goes slowly while I'm running fast (and keeps telling me to speed up) and sometimes it runs extremely fast when I'm just doing a light jog. A lot of these issues could be caused by improperly positioned sensors but I am following the limited instructions that came with the game and have tried making many minor adjustments without any improvement. The warmup routine is improved, but still totally monotonous and is much more of a stretch than a warmup. I still end up jogging in place between stretches to get a decent warmup (not a big deal).

The pace of the exercises (even when its working right) is just too slow for my taste. Timing is probably the biggest issue preventing me from enjoying the workout. The 1 to 2 second pause between each rep sounds small, but ends up making me feel like I'm holding myself back the entire time. There is also a 10 to 15 second delay between exercises, ugh. It would be much better if this was adjustable. No other form of exercise (video, class, gym, home gym) has you waiting this long between each rep and activity. Good for beginners, not so much for people who already know what they're doing.

The bottom line is at the end of a workout I'm just annoyed and relieved its over, which is a horrible way to feel after exercising. I recommend you spend your money on something else, unless you're just looking for the novelty experience. I hope EA keeps working to improve it, maybe the next one will get right!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good foundation but could be snazzier, December 3, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
First some background: I am in my mid-30s and in OK shape. I play ice hockey recreationally, skating 3-5 times a week depending on time of year. I try to keep a balanced diet, not necessarily eschewing fast food or junk food but making sure my portions are moderate in general and get my whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc.

I went through a period in my 20s where I was a gym rat in terms of lifting weights to gain some size but w/o doing the supplements and protein shakes so I know the proper techniques, the difference between lifting to get cut versus pure power versus size, the importance of rest, so on and so forth.

Outside of that though, I don't have a real athletic background. I'm a decent sprinter b/c I'm lean but my cardio is somewhere south of terrible. It's something I've always wanted to improve but the problem is I hate running and biking as I find them monotonous.

Recently, I had been thinking about getting back to the gym or joining a fitness program in order to improve my cardio as I was tending to fade at the end of my hockey games and it was hurting my performance IMO.

I was doing some shopping and was looking at buying a Wii when I stumbled across EA Sports Active completely by accident. I wasn't necessarily looking for a fitness tool on a video game console but I was intrigued. I almost pulled the trigger right away until the read the reviews for Sports Active on the Wii were somewhat mixed and also saw that version 2.0 was coming out on the PS3 which I already have.

I waited until it came out and read a couple of reviews. It seemed like the PS3 version had the most favorable reviews at the time since you didn't have to buy any extra peripherals, it was hands free, and seemed to garner the best results in terms of response. After that, I went ahead and bought it.

Out of the box, you get the following:
* Game disc (duh)
* Resistance band w/ 2 handles (you must assemble this yourself - it's a matter of tieing the band to the handles)
* A sensor/heart rate monitor meant to be strapped to the left forearm
* A sensor for the right forearm
* A sensor for the right leg
* USB w/ a sensor
* 6 AAA batteries

The sensors are battery driven, each requiring 2. The USB plugs into one of the USB ports of the PS3 like any other controller/peripheral. I believe the way the game works is that the sensors on your body "communicate" with the sensor in the USB to feed into the game, serving as the controller to speak.

Once I popped it in, the initial walkthrough was straightforward and easy to understand.

Figuring I wasn't completely sedentary and had some athletic base, I decided to start off on the Medium 9 week program (choices are either a 3 week intro program or a full 9 week program and within the two, you can select Easy, Medium, Hard). Initially, I wasn't going to write a review until I had completed it but after 2 weeks, I think I have enough to provide useful feedback and can update later as necessary.

I picked the 4 days I wanted to workout (my guess is other programs may have more or less days where you workout) and it was off to the races.

The idea of the game is that you are represented on screen by your avatar (whose appearance you can customize) and as the trainer directs you to move, your movements are captured by the sensors and your avatar on screen performs the same.

I had some problems with my initial set of sensors and it turns out the problem was with the leg sensor. It deteriorated over the month to the point where it was unusable (kept losing the sync). I contacted Amazon and got a new set (they just shipped me an entire new package w/ everything else included as well) and everything works much better. Seems as if there is a potential QA problem w/ the sensors but if things aren't working for you outright, I recommend trying to work with Amazon to exchange for a new set and see if that doesn't work better. Everything is -much- better with a good working set of sensors (although there are still some instances where it seems to have problems registering your movement).

For the workouts themselves, I am in phase 3 of 9 week program. To those folks who started on Hard and said it wasn't challenging and/or there was too much time between exercises, I tip my hat to you. It's at the point where I cannot push myself 100% without artificially pausing between exercises or even during exercises.

So far it seems like the workouts are cardio/plyometric based. Everything so far looks to be geared towards general endurance and lower body explosiveness.

If you lift for size or are focused more on upper body workouts, this probably won't do it for you. You can customize your workouts with respect to what you want to improve and while I haven't played with it, without doing free weights, I don't see how you can significantly improve your bench press for example.

A side benefit I want to mention is that since the exercises are more plyo-based (short and explosive), it seems to serve as a pretty good dynamic warmup. On the nights where I have a hockey game after I workout, I am not too tired to play and in fact, I feel pretty good from a looseness standpoint. Next day is definitely a full recovery day though. Not sure how well it would work for other sports though.

Other useful features:

* A journal where you can log things like, hours slept, glasses of water consumed, other activity you may be involved in. This is more for your personal benefit as the game doesn't really provide any feedback based on trending of the data (at least not that I've seen). It'll give general advice as you make your entry but that's it.
* Ability to configure the music playlists. Most useful if you have ripped and downloaded tracks to your PS3 but I haven't tried it yet though)
* Sync with EA Sports Active website to share results.

In conclusion, I definitely see the utility of this. I think it's a great innovation and hope that EA continues to build and improve on this product line.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 version is best version, November 22, 2010
S. Lee "100% Genki" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Its funny that it ended up this way but its true.
The PS3 version is the best version of EA Active 2.

The Wii version you are forced to hold the Wiimote.
The 360 version you are forced to use Kinect including all the current growing pains of the system (situps on the floor hard to see, menu navigation, etc).

The PS3 version does NOT use Move and instead gives you an extra armband making it actually the overall easiest to control version.

As far as the actual software goes whichever version you get the workout is VERY well done. Impressive and a lot of fun actually.
If you want exercise you should seriously consider this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Workout for an Even Better Price!, December 30, 2010
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
DEC 30, 2010 : I just finished my first workout last night and let me tell you what. I got as good of a workout doing this for 30 minutes as I normally do at the gym for an hour. It was fun and it really pushed me to get the moves right and finish them. The trainer is a little slow sometimes, especially with the running,but it makes you feel good that you can beat your own trainer! Now normally I hate running, but in this the amount of time spent doing the "circuit training" is short (so far, I am sure it increases as the time goes by) so it doesn't wear me out too bad. The basketball is a lot of fun and also works you out, you have to do lunges to the left and right to grab the ball then jump to shoot, it gets your rythm and coordination going and is fun all at the same time.

The only thing I was really curious about was the biking. They really do not show how this works and since they do not give you a bike I was wondering how that would pan out. In the end it is a lot of fun and probably the most challenging workout in the game. You not only have to squat and hold to get your person moving and going fast enough to pass people but when you get to the bottom of the hill you have to jump up as high as you can at the right time to get them over the jumps. To get back up the hill then you have to run in place. It is hard but the thrill of the race is enough to keep you going.

Overall I really enjoyed my first workout and cannot wait to get through my 9 week program. I really feel at the end of this I will be in the best shape of my life!

On a side note, I had no problems syncing my bands with the USB or having them pick up my movements. Some of the exercises you have to learn to do correctly or it will not pick them up, but its quick to figure out and you are well on your way to finishing.

!!UPDATE!!
2/17/11 : I have almost completed the 9 week program and I can say it has been a blast! I have lost about 10 lbs (I have also been counting calories and eating better) and I really feel like I have more muscle tone now then I did playing sports. As you go through the phases the workouts get longer and the calories burned goes from around 100 upwards of 200/30-40 min workout. Also the workouts get harder, yes you do the same exercises but it changes them up to keep you from plateuing. Some of the mroe negative reviewers are saying it is monotonous, but compared to the gym where you go in and do the same workout day in and day out, it trumps.

As some people have mentioned there are little nit picks you could say about the game, but nothings perfect and none of them impair the workout you get. I do get frustrated when it says take a water break and then 1 second later the next ones beginnig but its things like that, that keep my heart rate up and going! I will have to say that after doing all of the exercises given, the Mountain Boarding kicks my butt every time, everytime I see it on my lineup I dread it but I am sure its doing it job. For any women out there, this game will tone your legs and butt, most of the cardio involves squatting and even my bf has been able to tell a difference!

As a 23 year old female 5'2 and starting weight of 131 this game, (on medium) kicked my butt. I am now down to around 121 and have decided I am probably going to try out the 3 week cardio start and then do the 9 week workout all over again on hard. My goal is to lose 20 lbs total and I think with the help of this game 4 nights a week I can accomplish that before the summer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Right Arm Sensor, January 24, 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I'm a bit jealous of the folks here who have actually got a working unit. We are now on the 2nd one that has the same problem with the right arm sensor. The first time you use the game, no problem, the next time, no dice. The first unit at least the lights blinked on the thing, this one - nada. I've read about the right sensor problem on numerous sites across the interwebs and it has been mentioned in reviews here. I'd love to use the game. Hopefully the third will be a charm. If it is, I'll update here. If it isn't, I'm giving up.

4.0 out of 5 stars By far the best fitness product on the PS3 platform, January 11, 2011
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
EA Sports have broadened their offering from the Wii to other platforms including the PS3 with Active 2. As there are precious few good fitness products on the PS3 platform, this is an excellent thing. Note that this does NOT utilise the Move concept so don't be tempted by Amazon's attempts to encourage you to bundle this into your order!

In the box you get the disk, a largely unnecessary guide, a resistance band with straps, a leg monitor, a heart monitor and an arm monitor, together with the batteries to power these sensors and finally a USB stick that plugs into the front of your PS3 to read the monitors. In fact the only thing not included is motivation. Sorry, that's down to you! In fact, there is another thing they could have added and that's a leaflet telling you how to attach the straps to the resistance band as it's not entirely obvious - but simple once you've mastered the idea.

Set up is a breeze. The sensors are comfortable and relatively light weight and you soon forget you are wearing them (although the leg one has to be quite tight to avoid slipping in the more jumpy exercises).

The performance of the sensors is not bad - not perfect, but not bad. Sometimes they miss a movement and they are certainly not perfect by any means, but certainly better than nothing. Make sure they are not put on upside down and that you do the exercise in the order prescribed (eg if it starts with left leg, don't try with the right as it might not register). But it's slightly better than an exercise DVD and there is some feedback on your movement. The heart monitor is a useful addition although I'd take the measurements with a pinch of salt.

You can plan your own routine or, more likely, you can follow one of two plans (both with an easy, medium or hard level) - either a three week cardio workout or a nine week programme. You have a choice of two fitness instructors (male and female) and can, if you find the background music too annoying, load your own music via the PS3 songlists. There's also an opportunity to upload the data on line so that you can access results on your lap top. Some have reported that this takes a long time and the interface on the site still says "beta" but I've not had any real delays with this.

To date, there are no additional add ons or routines to download, but it's early days and I suspect that this may come in time. It tends to assume you want to lose weight rather than any other goal, but it still gives you a decent fitness boost.

If you want to train with your partner/flat mate, you will need an additional set of sensors which you can buy separately although these are relatively expensive compared to the complete "game".

The best thing is the variation of the exercises which prevent boredom. Each is well explained and there are both conventional exercises (you can use your own free-weights instead of the resistance band if you like - the sensors pick that up as well) but you don't need any additional equipment - except perhaps a thin mat if you have solid flooring. The routines build up a sweat and you can feel the "burn" afterwards - perhaps if you live in a flat you might end up annoying the people below with all your leaping around, but you should be OK. If you can lunge left, right, forward and back and jump without bashing yourself on the ceiling or light fitting, then you have enough room. I managed to knock a paperweight off a shelf on my first session - but at least that meant I lost "weight" on the first go!

It's not perfect, but it's BY FAR the best fitness offering on the PS3 and the programme more than survives the switch of platforms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good concept but lacks any support if you have a problem., January 2, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
We received this game as well as a second set of sensors to play two player. I have had the game for about a month and here is what I have found so far.

The Good:
* Lots of different workouts make for great variety. Some are short, some are longer so they make it easy to get a workout several times per week.
* With the accessory pack it's a lot of fun to play with 2 people. You really push each other and make it easier to work yourself to the limit.
* In the biking it gives a really fun way to do squats
* Kickboxing is a BLAST
* Tracks everything online so you can get a lot of info about how you are doing from your computer instead of having to log into the game (when it works, see below).

The Bad:
* Once you pick a trainer, no way to change it.
* My spouse started playing before I realized we even had the game at the house and was on my PSN profile since that's what auto-logs in on our machine. Once we realized all the data was stored under me because it uses PSN profiles instead of in-game profiles we wanted to get rid of the data and start over but there is no way to do that.
* The sensors have some serious lag. Quite often I have to stand in a pose for several seconds before it recognizes that I'm there which at times is rather painful (reverse situps hurt like crazy sitting there for 10 seconds while it's deciding that I'm actually there) and at others are just annoying.
* We have 2 different profiles playing here, mine connects to the EAS active 2 website to upload my data just fine, but my husbands won't connect at all. He has been working with the technical support at EA for about 3 weeks now and after going over the same steps over and over (they kept trying to blame it on my home network, then on my firewall, then on random routers on the internet dropping packets) they finally came down to "the website part is beta and we don't offer support for products that are still in beta. Yeah, nice that a feature that is listed all over the box, in the documentation, and inside the game itself is still "beat" without being listed that way and is hit and miss at best. Great work there EA! *rolls eyes*
* If you are playing 2 player only the person logged into the PS3 gets the saved workout. It does track the calories lost and everything, but won't count toward your workouts toward the 9 week challenge.
* For the 9 week challenge you have to workout 4 days a week minimum. Each workout for that challenge is about 30+ minutes so makes it a little more difficult to complete those (I missed quite a few of the workouts in that). You are also less likely to be consistent where you are required to do the 30 minute workouts so often.
* Lag between workouts is rather annoying. Heart rate drops quite a bit while just standing there waiting for the next one to load.

Overall, I really like the game. Everything works in game great (other than some lag in sensors) and I really enjoy playing it. If you are some insane health nut (do P90X, marathons, etc) then this probably isn't going to be some earth shattering workout for you... but the rest of us it seems to do a great job with. Even with those in shape I think if you added some heavy ankle weights, some wrist weights, and used free weights instead of the stretchy bands you would still get a decent workout though.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Price but Great Game, November 17, 2010
This review is from: EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I was kind of skeptical at first because of the price but I decided to purchase it anyway. The game is set up into two different programs a 9 week and 3 week with three different levels; easy, hard and difficult. I started the 9 week program and set the level to easy and the workout was amazing. It has really enhance my home gym with the personal trainer walking me through every step and movement. The sensors are very accurate and the game will even correct you when your not in the right position or form . I have only went through day one of my 9 week program but so far so good and the $118.00 I spent was well worth it. I hope my review helps anyone who is interested in buying this item.

EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3
EA Sports Active 2 - Playstation 3 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
$69.10