5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Rebel AC Power

3.0 out of 5 stars Modification necessary
Published on February 4, 2010 by James L. Eubanks III

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Rebel AC Power, November 20, 2010
Bobby G. Bristoe (Ellettsville Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EASTSTAR ACK-E5 AC Power Adapter Supply Kit For Canon EOS Rebel XSi XS T1i 450D 500D 1000D Kiss F X2 X3 DSLR Cameras (Electronics)
The reason I wanted this AC power adaptor was so I could do astrophotography and keep the camera on for hours without removing it from the tripod to replace the dead battery, and mess up my alignment to the heavens. And for that reason it gets 5 stars for doing that. Having said that, for you Rebel users, there is a tab on the bottom of the battery pack that should be cut off before putting it in you camera. Compare it to you battery pack and you will see what I'm talking about. This is not an original Canon product, it is aftermarket, but it does work as advertised. I don't consider having to cut off the tab a reason to demote my rating, since it took all of 5 seconds to cut off. I'm sure some cameras may use this tab.

3.0 out of 5 stars Modification necessary, February 4, 2010
I received the ACK-E5 Replacement AC Power adapter yesterday. Delivery was very quick, but I was unhappy to see the unit is unusable without modification. The camera end of the unit slides into the battery compartment of my Canon 450D XSi camera. The size of the adapter is the same but there is a small plastic piece that extrudes from the bottom preventing the adapter to fully lock into place. In order to use this adapter you must use a cutting tool and remove this plastic stub. Works fine after that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly for T1i, August 23, 2012
I bought this to use with my T1i, and it works perfectly.

Some people have mentioned that they can't get their camera to turn on with this thing in place, but you need to remember that your camera has a battery door switch on it. If the battery door opens, the camera turns off. In order for this to work, you need to route the wire out the little rubber flap, and close the battery door.

Also, some people mentioned the plus shaped protrusion on the contact side of the adapter. On the T1i, this lines up with the spring in the battery compartment, and adds a little tension to the fit, ensuring it won't bounce around.

The AC plug does have a bit to be desired, since it is smooth, solid prongs, but the cord comes out of the transformer, and the plug on the transformer is a standard style, so if it really bothered you, you could just swap the cords.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems here, May 19, 2010
My adapter worked fine. Just as expected.

Ordering a second one to use on a second camera.

Its not the OEM Canon unit. But it works fine...

4.0 out of 5 stars Works...with a bit of tweaking, July 7, 2012
I requested, and received, this item as a gift for use with my Canon 450D (aka XSi). It immediately fit into the camera, but did not work. I used my multimeter to verify that it was producing the correct voltage. Then I remembered I had read Mr. Bristoe's review before requesting the gift. I followed his instructions and cut off the little tab - it looks like a raised + sign, and is on the same side of the battery pack as the connector that mates with the connector inside the camera. Cutting it off took less than a minute with a Dremel. Then I tried again - still no luck. I used my fingernail to trick the camera into thinking that the battery door was closed, and pushed the battery a bit deeper into the camera, and the camera finally turned on. So, I took a piece of paper, folded it a few times, and stuck that between the battery pack and the battery door, and closed the battery door. Now it works!
I think a product that advertises itself to work with my camera should "just work" without having to jump through all those hoops. But, I asked for this gift because I wanted to take timelapse photos for longer than the camera's battery would allow, and after a little work I got what I wanted. Given that the real Canon product is $40 more, I'd say the extra work was worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described and good deal for the money., August 9, 2011
So far so good, I use this for astrophotography and need a constant power source so I don't disturb the camera. It works as described and is a decent item for the money (Made in China).

NOTE: YOU MUST CLOSE THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT LID BEFORE THE ITEM WILL WORK OTHERWISE THE CAMERA WILL NOT POWER ON.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but has lousy AC plug, April 14, 2011
Dr. Oscar (VA United States) - See all my reviews
This power supply works fine with my T1i. I've shot 10 hour time-lapse sequences with it. Unfortunately, it has one very annoying flaw. The AC plug has two perfectly flat blades that are so thin sockets can't get a grip on it. The slightest jerk will pull the plug out of a socket. With one socket I tried it didn't even make contact and there was no power (I checked it with an AC meter). Bending the blades solved the contact problem but it still remains loose. Minus two stars for the plug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to battery packs!, January 28, 2011
mtnmedic (Wasco County, OR) - See all my reviews
Works beautifully with my XSi. Just as described in the product page. Good construction. No problems using it whatsoever. It's great for my time lapse, long exposure and astrophotography projects. I use it with a portable gel cell all-in-one battery power source (called a Power Dome, which I got at Fry's electronics for $89) that has a built in inverter and AC, DC and USB jacks (as well as auto booster cables, tire pump and work area light) to achieve freedom to go anywhere I want for my overnight photography outings. I'm very happy I got this adapter, as it allows me more freedom to be creative without having to worry about maintaining power by swapping out battery packs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Unit for 1000d With No Modification Necessary, August 24, 2013
I just received this unit today thinking I would need to do some modification to make it work with the Canon 1000d. Yhey have fixed the problem and removed the tab! In addition, they have fixed the power cord issue. Works excellent, and I look forward to using for astrophotography.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work with Canon Rebel Xsi, June 27, 2012
When plugged in, my Canon Rebel xsi would turn on but it would cause a really slow shutter release and then an Error 99, which required to turn the camera On and Off. Maybe it was a faulty unit, but it absolutely did not work.