Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

This battery pack is beautifully packaged with a wraparound blue metal case. It is a powerful battery pack rated at 12000 mAh of capacity and capable of charging two devices simultaneously. I put together a video of the unit and the test results for your review.

The blue exterior shell is aluminum that looks fantastic. The battery weighs in at 9 3/4 ounces. The battery pack has two USB output ports that output 5 VDC at 1 Amp and the second one outputs 5 VDC at 2.1 Amps. This is ideal to allow you to charge two devices at the same time and one of them can be a tablet that requires 2.1 Amps to charge quickly.

During the testing the temperature of the battery pack never even exceeded ambient room temperature. To start your device charging you connect it with the proper cable and press the battery pack power button and charging starts. The charging will stop automatically when your device is fully charged or the battery pack is depleted.

This battery pack also features a LED flashlight. This is ideal for when you travel to have an emergency light in a hotel room, when looking for your keys or when in a dark movie theater.

This product is good and I rate it at 5 stars. If you are a business person or a student and have to depend on your tablet or smart phone for long periods of time without the ability to get to an AC power source then this is a good battery to own. This is good for those who travel a lot or camp out. Now you can watch your movies or listen to your music on those long airline flights.

You should note that I did not operate my tablets while I charged it. When I test a battery I do an extensive set of tests that fully charges the battery and then I use it to charge devices and make sure that it is fully depleted when my tests are done. I time each test and document the results as the test progresses. I then calculate the mAh of capacity that the battery supplied and I then calculate its charging efficiency. This process takes from 3 hours to, in very large batteries, about a day for testing. I don't take any short cuts or guess and every battery has these tests performed on it and documented. This is to assure that the battery is tested and it performs well. If a battery has performed poorly I then run the tests again to verify the results.

Items in the box:
* The EC Technology 12000 mAh battery
* The battery pack comes with an instruction manual
* A USB to round plug charging cable that is 8 3/4 inches long
* A USB to round plug charging cable that is 28 inches long
* Four device adapters that are an Apple 30 pin connector, a PSP connector, a Micro USB connector and a Mini USB connector.

EC Technology 12000 mAh External Battery Pack Features:
* Powerful 12000 mAh capacity
* The unit is compact and weighs in at 9 3/4 ounces.
* Attractive design with nice blue metal enclosure and it is available in Deepskyblue, Dimgray, Fuchsia and Gold.
* It has a beautiful blue backlit LED status display located on the front that indicates the battery charge level. It reads out in percent and also has a graphic battery ICON with a bar graph built in to show the battery's level of remaining charge. The display percentage reading is nonlinear and it is probably reading the output voltage and not the current capacity.
* When pressing the power button or charging a device the display will show the amount of power still stored in the battery pack. It will also indicate whether the LED flashlight is on, what port is being used and what voltage and current is being drawn out of the battery as it knows which port you are using.
* There are two USB power output ports and they are USB 1 rated at 5VDC at 1 Amp, USB 2 rated at 5VDC at 2.1 Amp for iPads and tablets.
* The battery pack can output 3.1 Amps max at one time so it can charge two devices simultaneously.
* Press the ON button when you plug in a device and that begins the charging process of your device. There is an automatic OFF when your electronic device is charged.
* The battery pack uses Lithium-Ion battery technology and premium Samsung battery cells
* The battery pack can be recharged 500+ times
* Warranty is 12 months
* The battery pack does not come with an AC wall charger.
* Charging it with a USB 2.0 port on your laptop or computer is not recommended by me as the battery would take too long to fully charge. (Approximately 27.5+ hours with a 500 mAh USB 2.0 Port.)
* It will take 14 to 16 hours to charge the battery pack with a 5 VDC USB rated at 1 Amp. I recommend using a 2.1 Amp USB power source.
* The unit has a LED flashlight that can be turned on by quickly double pressing the power switch. You turn it off by double pressing the power switch again. The flashlight on time is not known as it is omitted from the manual.

Charging my devices:
I charged the battery pack fully before I started my test. I started with an iPhone 4 charged at 72% and the EC Technology was fully charged at 100%.
* 30 min 94% and the battery pack was at 97%
* 50 min 100% and the battery pack was at 97%
I started with an iPad 2 charged at 6% and the EC Technology was charged at 97%.
* 30 min 21% and the battery pack was at 79%
* 60 min 36% and the battery pack was at 66%
* 90 min 50% and the battery pack was at 49%
* 120 min 64% and the battery pack was at 42%
* 150 min 77% and the battery pack was at 40%
* 180 min 85% and the battery pack was at 39%
* Continued charging overnight and the next morning the iPad 2 was at 100% and the battery pack was at 39%
I started charging a second iPhone 4 that was at 68% and the battery pack was at 39%
* 30 min 88% and the battery pack was at 30%

* Charge 28% of an iPhone 4= 1420 mAh x 28%= 397.6 mAh
* Charge iPad 2 94% x 6944 mAh = 6527.36 mAh
* Charge 32% of an iPhone 4= 1420 mAh x 32%= 454.4 mAh
* Charge iPad 3 a total of 5% x 11560 mAh = 578 mAh

* Total power out is 397.6 + 6527.36 + 454.4 + 578 = 7957.36 mAh/12000 mAh = 66.3% efficiency

* This is a slightly below average result and I will retest the unit.

++++++
Update 9-18-2013:
I reran the test and was able to draw out of the battery 8082 mAh which is 67.35% efficiency. The result was not that much different.
++++++

Here are some common devices and the amount of mAh of capacity they have when they are fully charged. This is just to give you an impression of how much energy it takes to charge your smart device:

* iPhone 4 battery 1,420 mAh battery capacity
* Kindle Keyboard battery 1750 mAh capacity
* iPhone 5 is 3.8 VDC at 5.45 Wh = 1434 mAh battery
* iPad 4 battery is 11,486 mAh 3.7 VDC at 42.5 Wh
* iPad Mini battery is 4490 mAh at 3.72 VDC 16.7 Wh

When using an external battery you have to allow approximately 30 % of the battery capacity will be lost to heat, voltage conversion, powering the batteries electronics and the electronics of your electronics device's charging circuits. In addition you have to consider that your device is not truly off like a cell phone is still connected to the WIFI and phone networks and probably receiving emails, etc.

Real world examples of charging capability with this battery pack:

* iPhone 4 or 5 approximately 5.6 full charges out of a fully charged EC Technology 12000 mAh battery pack
* iPad 2 approximately 115% of a full charge
* iPad 3 or 4 approximately 69% of a full charge
* iPad Mini approximately 177% of a full charge
* Kindle Fire approximately 181% of a full charge

* A normal estimated usable storage is 70% of capacity or .70 * 12000 mAh = 8400 mAh charging capacity available for your electronic devices.

* In my testing I was able to use approximately 7957.36 mAh of capacity or roughly 66.3% of the 12000 mAh capacity.

I received a sample product for evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
on November 5, 2013
First the good things - Product looks nice, the blue LCD is cool.

I haven't done any controlled testing, but I don't think this one is 12000 mAh. The other reviewer said that it has 4 batteries of 2600 mAh each, so a total of 10,400 mAh. That number seems closer to reality.

The charger is very slow to charge. I charge my Sony Xperia when it comes below 30%, and the wall charger with 1A output charges it in 2 hours. But this battery pack takes almost 3 hours to do the same.

It has NO FLOW-THRU charging, meaning it cannot charge other devices while it itself is charging. This is a big flaw for me. One of the other reviewers posted that it has flow-thru charging as along as the charge is not near zero. A load of hum-bug I tried at different charge levels, even 99% - it won't start charging the connected device until it is fully charged.

It is picky about what is charges. It charges Sony Xperia phone, LG Phone and MP3 player. It will not charge a Nook HD and a BlackBerry. I don't have any apple devices, but I think it will have trouble charging any device that is picky about its power source.

DO NOT BELIEVE the glowing positive reviews. They are from professional reviewers who got the product free in return for posting positive reviews.

Lastly - there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. NO PHONE NUMBER, NO WEBSITE... NOTHING. Just an gmail address. Thankfully Amazon will take it back, but I am leaving on a month long international trip this week and I have to deal with this issue at the last minute.

Save yourself the trouble and go with a proven brand like Anker or NewTrent that have a decent website and a responsive customer service.
on November 3, 2013
First off, this thing works well, looks good, and is well built. However, it has nowhere close to 12000 mAh of battery capacity. I took it apart and it does indeed contain Samsung ICR18650-26F cells - 4 of them. Those cells are rated at 2600 mAh and they are connected in series in the device, so technically speaking it's a 2600 mAh pack. I assume the device is rated in terms of its equivalence in capacity to the single-cell devices it charges. So if we were to pretend it had 4 of these cells in parallel, it would only have 10,400 mAh capacity. This is still a good device but how about a little truth in advertising? It's obvious the company is overrating it so that people will choose their device over a comparable unit with lower stated capacity.

I would recommend buying one if you're in the market for its features and quality but just be aware that it only has "10,400 mAh capacity", which would be better stated as 37 Watt-hours.
on April 13, 2014
I bought two of these for a booth event where I needed my phone constantly as a register, but there was no power anywhere. I honestly wasn't expecting much from them, as I've had many duds in the past, regardless of the type or brand. However, these little chargers worked amazingly and kept my phone fully charged the entire weekend of the event.

Out of the box they were at 70% charged, so I plugged one into my laptop to charge and the other into the wall. I didn't notice a big difference between the two as far as time to fully charge, but they did take quite a long time in general. I'd recommend giving yourself a full 24 hours to charge them if they are completely drained. I never let them get lower than 50% though before charging.

At the event, I was able to charge 3 cell phones (at or below 50% power) and 1 tablet (at 0% charge) with only 1 of the chargers and still had over 60% left on the battery. The cell phones (2 were Android and 1 was Apple), charged incredibly quick (less than 30 minutes). After realizing how many charges you can get out of the little things, I almost didn't even need the 2nd charger.

I'm pretty impressed with these and really happy with my purchase. I'll be using them again on camping trips and vacation. They're super handy and really worth the money.
on February 10, 2015
Great product. Thus is my second EC Tech Battery pack. I have had the first one for over a year and it is very efficient with lots of power. I use mine mainly for my Kindle Fire and my Kindle Reader. I only bought a second one so I can put it in another room and to use while the other one is charging. This new model has an LCD display and shows the percentage of power left in the pack. It was delivered with an almost full charge so I immediately plugged in my tablet. Although it can fit in a pocket, it is a little bigger and heavier than some battery packs meant to be portable. BUT, many cost more than this one and have 1/3 or 1/4 the storage power of this one. Comes with 1 micro / USB cable to be used with the charger plug for your tablet or other device. There are 2 USB ports and a flashlight, Great Battery at a fantastic price.
on August 11, 2015
Very nice capacity for the price, and I love the digital screen. Also, it charges my devices very quickly. It is very easy to use - you just plug in your devices and they start charging. I took off one star because when I plug in both my Galaxy S6 and iPad Mini, the device stops charging and turns off. I will be contacting the seller to find out if this is normal behavior and post their reply.
on April 3, 2014
The digital capacity meter seems to give reasonable results. The extra indicators show if it is being re-charged as well as which output is in use. It re-charges at about 1.0A in my tests - the current meter does have an affect on results. After more than 2 months, the power level dropped about 5%. The unit shuts off at about .2A draw, so it will not charge small low power devices well. You will need a 3-6K unit for that. The built-in light light is useful, but not as powerful as a flashlight. The dual output are nice. When charging my Kindle keyboard, both output could deliver the full .85A demand current. The low output maintained a voltage of 4.80V, the high power output showed 4.88V. Since many devices require a strict 4.75V minimum voltage to charge, both outputs should be able to maintain that minimum at their full rated outputs.
on December 4, 2014
So far, so good. It has 2 ports, one faster and one slower. It has a backlit display, showing the % of battery remaining, and when charging this battery pack. I've used it only a few times so far, but appears to be solid construction, and exactly what I expected. The little LED considered to be a flashlight might be good if you were in total darkness, but not much more. I'm glad I purchased this updated model, with the LCD display, instead of 4 lights showing a rough percentage left.
on June 9, 2014
I purchased this product so that my daughter could travel out of the country for two weeks without worrying about whether her phone and tablet would run out of power. At 12000mAh, this EC Technology product will do the trick! While she has another recharge option, this one has at least twice the power and at a price comparable to something I purchased off a shopping channel. Also, it is not so bulky or weigh so much that it will make her luggage to awkward. Why, it could easily be carried in a purse or briefcase as well. I think she will like the color I chose for her as well! Great product.
on August 4, 2015
It's convenient and small for a 12,000 mAh battery. One port has a stronger charge than the other. That's one of the only things you'll need to worry about if you charge two things at once. The flashlight is a good addition but it's been only used once. Overall I give the product and eight out of 10 score.