5.0 out of 5 stars A Tremendous Value!
Published 15 months ago by Survival Ready

2.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like a good idea, poor execution.
This seemed like a really good idea. A portable charging source AND a flashlight that fits into a small, convenient package for use when needed, and in a solid metal casing, too. Except it doesn't work. Not as advertised, anyway.

Published 15 months ago by Ben Rhode

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tremendous Value!, July 7, 2013
I was a little bit unsure of what I was going to receive based on the reviews before purchase. But if you are cheap like me, this is the best priced portable charger on the market. Let me assure you this is a 100% completely satisfied approval from me. The flashlight is very very bright and I charged my iphone from red line dead to fully charged in just under 2 hours. Unsure of others results but mine are actual.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like a good idea, poor execution., June 28, 2013
Ben Rhode (San Jacinto, CA USA) - See all my reviews

I have an HTC One with a 2300 mAH battery, and expected this to be able to deliver one full charge when needed. Instead, after leaving it charging overnight on this device starting at about 7% remaining charge in my phone battery, it brought my phone's charge up to just over 50% before quitting. This would indicate that the charger offers less than half of the advertised capacity of 2600 mAH. Obviously, that is not what I, or any other buyer of this product, is paying for. There were some other minor build quality issues, but none of them are even worth worrying about if the product fails to perform its most basic function.

Mine is going back.

UPDATE:

I've been in discussions with EC Technology about this issue. 2 things appear to be causing my issues. The first is that they assume that you will be charging your device in a powered down state. If that is not the case, your device will consume power and charge at the same time resulting in less than a full charge going to the device battery. Second, and more importantly, the expected conversion rate from the charger to the device is about 70% (NOT mentioned in the product description) meaning that the 2600 mAH battery advertised will, at best, provide about 1800 mAH of charging capacity. If your device is turned on during charging, it will achieve even less, which is reflected in the performance I observed. So basically, this product will probably work fine for a device with a 1500-1800 mAH battery. Anything bigger and you should probably be looking for a larger charger.

Mine is still going back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some pretty bright lips, August 7, 2013
C. Schmidt (amztabhlp at gmail) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
*Disclosure: I was contacted by EC Technology and given a sample of this product specifically for the purpose of reviewing it.*

Test devices:
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Kindle Fire HD 7"

Ok, while I'm not an expert on lipstick, this battery pack is a bit bigger than a standard lipstick. More like eyeliner size. For guys, about the size of a mini Maglite. It's a solid device, that for sure, offering the same feel as a quality flashlight. Speaking of flashlight, the single LED built into the tip is a pretty bright. While I don't have a light meter to measure how much light it emits, it's a fairly impressive amount. When the unit is fully charged, I found that it would run the flashlight for over 8hrs in a go.

After draining and charging it several times, I found that the battery pack would take about 4 hours to charge up from totally empty, using a 2A AC adapter. Compared to my HTC One, which has close to the same size battery, that is roughly twice the time to charge. Looking closely, the difference is that the HTC ships with a 2A AC adapter (same one used for this testing), which would indicate that the phone will absorb up to 2A while charging. The lipstick battery on the other hand is limited to 1A input, which is half that of the phone. And that solves the question on why it takes so long to charge: half the input power, double the time it takes to charge.

This charge rate becomes rather important when it comes to the unit charging up other devices. Each of the devices listed above come with a 2A AC adapter. The lipstick battery pack however has a maximum output of 1A. Again, half the output, which results in twice the time to charge up the other device. And if your device is on, there is a chance that it will eat up most of the incoming power instead of storing it. On each of the devices I tested with, I found that each barely made double digit increases in charge over a one hour period if the device was on. Worth stating however is that though the devices didn't get much of a charge over the hour, it's another hour the device was able to be used as well. It's still a pity that the lipstick battery doesn't have a 2A output though, and that in and of itself is why I took off a star.

In summary, I think it's definitely worth the asking price (currently 15 dollars), even though I could wish for the higher output. It is supposed to be a backup battery that is small in size and convenient for toting around. In those respects it does well. I'll be attaching this one to someone's keychain, though one could use the little velvety bag that comes with it to hold the adapter cables.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, February 20, 2014
So far this item has worked really well. It's cute and compact, although I wouldn't call it lipstick-sized. It's slightly wider than a lipstick and about two lipstick lengths. It worked to recharge my iphone one complete charge (beginning with 20% battery), and then I had to charge the device again. I was able to use the phone while it was charging. Overall a good product for a very reasonable price. Actually, one the reasons I'm writing the review is because the company followed up to see if I was satisfied. I appreciate that kind of customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Useful Charger Ever!, July 12, 2013
I purchased one of these from a different manufacturer on Amazon some months back, and was very impressed. So I purchased 2 more since my partner asked for one as well. This is a versatile, convenient flashlight, but what's really cool about it is that it's also a charger for your smartphone or tablet. Now this isn't going to get you through a week in the wilderness, but it is going to get you through the day if you , like most of us, have a smartphone that you use some much that the battery drains on you. Most of us have to tether our smartphone to the desk or near an outlet to charge it. But with this you can just plug any USB cord into the end of the flashlight and charge it up on the go. When you get home at night recharge the flashlight's battery and you're ready to go.
The light itself is pretty powerful. We sometimes walk for exercise at night, and in South Florida it's pretty dark, some of the streets don't have street lighting, and using it as a flashlight is convenient. It's a nice compact size for a flashlight and having this around is really a wonderful tool for anybody who needs a portable recharge available for their smartphone. Also this is easier than bringing a smartphone's cord and the part that plugs into the wall. With this you just need the cord part. Most smartphones and tablets have a cord that unplugs from the part that goes into the outlet. So instead of carrying that I'm happy to carry this instead. I don't think the brand matters too much. The other brand was a bit more money but has a little blue led on the opposite end from the flashlight, where the USB and micro USB are. I guess that would be convenient for getting one's keys out at night, but that's about it. In any case, between the two of us we now have 3 of these and they are extremely handy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Item was DOA, April 16, 2014
Ordered one because of the rave reviews. But mine was dead on arrival. I charged it overnight. The green LED came on but the red LED also stayed on. (So, is it charged??) After unplugging, I could not get the flash light to come on. (I can turn it on when the unit is plugged in, so, yes, I know how to push the teeny button.) I plugged in my iPhone, there was no indication of a charge. I am returning this and not getting a replacement because:

1. It is bigger than in the pictures. No one I know uses a "lipstick" this big.
2. It is heavy.
3. The flashlight button is too recessed and awkward.
4. The USB and microUSB connectors are cheaply made. It is hard to insert and remove a connector to either port on the unit.

Basically, I expected way too much for a unit priced under $10. I'll try a $20 one from a different maker.

Addendum: this company is very aggressive in pursuing higher ratings. They emailed me several times, asking me to change my rating to 4 stars. REALLY??!!! For a product that was DOA? I would take the 4 star ratings with a grain of salt. If they want higher ratings, they should have better quality control.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap junk, October 17, 2013
The connectors for this adapter are so cheaply made, they broke within a day of using. Pretty disappointing customer service as well. Don't buy

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made, September 25, 2013
The first time I tried to use this to charge my Kindle the cord that comes with it broke. The end piece broke off and left the wires sticking out. In addition, I noticed it was dead itself although I hadn't used it since I charged it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I probably would have paid as much just for the light..., August 6, 2013
Received this item and right away was very satisfied with the feel of quality. The main housing is a solid machined piece, and the ends are clearly well fitted and seem sturdy. The cord that accompanied the charger is unique and has detachable connectors for the older iphone, mini usb (small note: my blackberry does not allow a charge from this device YMMV), and usb2.
The actual charger is larger than any lipstick I've seen (not that I'm an expert). I would compare it to a 18650 battery (or 2 CR123s).
I followed the normal procedure for li-ion batteries and fully charged and fully discharged the battery twice. On the first cycle, it was able to charge my Galaxy S3 from 45% to full, and then move on to bring a 0% charged iphone3 to about 1/3 charged. Second cycle finished off charging the iphone, recharged my S3 from 75% to full and added charge to my iPad (original version).
The flashlight on this charger was also a pleasant surprise. I expected a very poor light, but found it to be quite bright and useful. My only complaint is that the recessed button is difficult to push. However, this is not the primary function of the item, and I think it is still exceptionally useful. The light did not seem to cause any noticeable increase in the surface temperature of the casing during approximately 15 minutes of operation.
The package also included a small felt bag to keep all of the pieces together for transport.
I spend several hours a day on a commuter train, and this highly portable package allows me to have absolute confidence that I will be able to use my phone even if I forgot to completely charge it before getting on the train.
It isn't all that often that I feel like I got more than I paid for, but this is one of those times. I would, however, caution anyone contemplating purchasing this item to be aware of the capacity of your phone battery, and the effeciency of this type of charging device to be certain that this is the right product for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE!, July 23, 2013
I have been looking for a charger that I can keep with me while traveling so that I don't have to worry about my battery not being charged. And I found this, so far I don't have any issue as of yet, I just got it. A very cheap one, for a multipurpose gadget and it comes along with a built in flash light. And good thing it's not that hard to figure it out how it works and it does need to be charged as well.