5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good

Published 9 months ago by dhpnet

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to Be Good, Now Low Quality, December 9, 2013
dhpnet (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
I have owned many pairs of Eccos, and I always loved them. They were my favorite shoes, but no longer. One pair I have had for about 5 years finally needed to be replaced. I purchased the exact same style on Amazon because I was very confident in buying another pair of Ecco shoes without trying them on. When the new pair arrived it was very obvious that Ecco had made some changes, and the quality was much lower. The old pair had all leather lining inside the shoe. The new pair has all cloth. On the old pair, the top part of the sole was leather and was sewn onto the shoe. The new pair is all plastic with fake plastic sewing. The old pair had a multi-part shock point in the heel with a yellow piece in the middle. The new pair has something that looked like the shock point, but was really just a detail molded into the plastic. And most importantly, the new pair is horribly uncomfortable to the point that they caused me excruciating pain. I took them to a tradeshow and after 3 days I was sorry I ever bought these shoes. I had huge blisters on the soles of both feet and on my heels, and my feet and ankles hurt for days after the tradeshow. I kept them because I was having a hard time believing that my beloved Eccos were no longer worth buying. One month after the tradeshow, when the memory of the pain had faded, I decided to try them again in case it was something I had done. Once again they hurt my feet and I couldn't continue wearing them. I will never buy another pair of Ecco shoes after this experience, which makes me sad because the old Eccos were the best shoes I ever owned. I would forgive them and buy them again if they would return to the quality they had in the past. I would not suggest these shoes to any of my friends now.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, January 30, 2012
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
just got these so can't really comment on durability, which is probably 1 of 2 most important factors when spending this much on shoes. I can say they are comfortable. Just wanted to give my input on the size. I usually wear a size 10 US. when you look at sizing charts, 10 US translates to a 44. I even went into a high end shoe store recently and they had this machine/computer that you stand on, and it tells you your size, it said 44 exactly. Whenever I've tried on 44 Ecco's in the past though, they've always been too big. So, I ordered these in 43 and they are definitely not too small. I would say they fit perfectly, but i could imagine them being even a little bit smaller (however I gotta believe that 42 would be too small). Point being, if you wear a 10 US, I suggest 43, or maybe even going to a shoe store first and seeing how a 42 fits - which I will probably do when i have a chance.

Update - 6 months: Still extremely comfortable. Still in good shape. One design complaint - the way the sole extends around the outside of the shoe, where the leather meats the sole all the way around it tends to collect huge amounts of pollen/dirt/dust. Every time I pick up my kid from day care and just walk into the backyard this happens and needs to be washed out with a cloth. Maybe this is normal, but I've never noticed this happening on my other shoes. I've also never had such expensive shoes, so I don't know.

Update - 2 years: Still great. Still holding up well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Look good, scuff too quickly., August 13, 2013
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
No issues with Amazon price or delivery. Shoes looked and felt as expected. However, the quality is not as I expected or experienced with previous Ecco shoes. The polish/color is already scratched off of the front toe and forefoot sides and I don't perform and strenuous activity in them. Very disappointed and will reconsider purchasing Ecco in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sort of a shoe. Not a real Ecco., November 13, 2013
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
I ordered these shoes to replace another pair of Ecco's that I bought about 10 years ago. They were my favorite casual shoes, then reliable studio shoes... That is when they started out life as Ecco's which were made in Denmark. Stylish, well built and durable. The shoes as delivered came from China, and as such had an overly large toe box, different overall shape and weighed 1/3 less than the shoes that they were replacing. I sent them back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, comfortable shoes, October 26, 2012
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
I bought these for my husband to wear to work. He said that they were very comfortable and didn't require any breaking in. We have purchased this brand previously and they seem to wear well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try them out!, October 15, 2011
B. Lee (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
Great shoes! My first time trying Eccos, but not disappointed. Supremely comfortable and gives great support for those who are going to be standing a lot while wearing dress shoes. Just as an example to show how comfortable these are: I drive a stick-shift and there is no pain or discomfort while I drive, unlike many other dress shoes that I've worn. I also have wide feet and need a lot of arch support, these shoes solve both my problems. Also they look great, and just like the reviewer above, I love that the toes are rounded off, I hate the squared designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort from Day 1, February 14, 2013
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
I was a little leery buying fairly expensive shoes without trying them on, but I'm glad I did. I had heard good things about Ecco shoes, and I was not worried about their quality. But I have really wide feet, and usually take a wider width (like EEE). The Ecco models on Amazon did not offer wide widths, so I gambled by going up a size, and it was a good gamble. The fact that Amazon had free returns helped me make up my mind. This pair of shoes runs $140 at Macy's about 45 minutes from my house. They sold on Amazon for $120 plus shipping ($132 total), so it worked out. If the shoes had not fit well, at least I knew I could return them for free, and Amazon would refund the total $132.

Anyway, I've had the shoes only a week, so I can't rate them on durability, but as I mentioned, the Ecco brand is known for their durability, so I'm expecting them to last. The leather is nice quality and feel. The insides are nice with leather inserts. Also, the shoes are much lighter than I expected, which is an added bonus. Also very comfortable. Glad I made the leap.

EDIT / UPDATE August 2014: Fast Forward 18 months from my review above - I have been wearing these ECCO shoes now every other day for work, and I continue to be impressed how they are holding up. The shoe leather has softened a bit (that's a good thing...), but they still shine up very well, and the soles hardly show any wear. I can easily see these shoes lasting another 3-4 years at this rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars ECCO Bostons, September 20, 2012
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
Very stylish, high quality shoes at an excellant price. These are my second pair of ECCO shoes. They are light and comfortable and the soles seem almost indestructible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy shoes, April 3, 2013
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
Tried half a dozen similarly styled shoes, looking for something that looked good, and was comfortable to spend all day in on and off my feet.This is the one I kept. I've worn these for a week. Accommodated my custom orthotics, which many didn't. Back of ankle is high and soft enough to not irritate. Construction quality seems good. Slight ridge on top of sole at toe (molding artifact I presume) draws unnecessary attention to fact that it does have a rubber sole; seems like they could have located it elsewhere. Runs large; I normally wear a 10 M's US. 44 EU was too big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shoes, February 28, 2013
This review is from: ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up (Shoes)
Although Ecco's are a little more expensive, they last so much longer than any other shoe I've had. My previous pair I had worn for 5 years, hope to wear this next pair just as long.

ECCO Men's Boston Lace-Up