5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Know Of A Better Boot
In these boots, I feel like I can walk three times as far, in half the time. I don't know what the exact increase is, but I can walk noticeably further in these over any other hiker or shoe I've compared them to. They seem to delay the onset of fatigue.

Published on May 23, 2009 by Benjamin

2.0 out of 5 stars Sole does not last
Published on January 6, 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Know Of A Better Boot, May 23, 2009
Benjamin (Coachella Valley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)

Not only that, but I swear my footing is better as well. On those now rarer occasions when I do lose my footing, I honestly feel as if I have better control through the incident. I suspect that the combination of the tread pattern and the very soft material on the sole are the main reason why the handling of these boots seem so much better than others.

A lot of reviews complain about rapid sole wear. It's well known softer tires wear down fast, but have superior grip. It's the same thing here. They have a very soft grippy material most shoes don't have. If you're primarily walking on concrete, you should seriously consider that.

When I got my first pair, I worked in a corporate environment where my day was running around the different carpeted floors of the building. I also drove to that job. At that time, I was also seriously trail hiking(10+ mile hikes twice a week or more when I could do it) and doing some backpacking. I hiked all around northern california trails. The wear at that time seemed very slow.

When I started wearing them in a job that involved me walking between 8 different buildings over concrete throughout the day, every day, as well as doing 8 block walks between agencies in the city on an every other day basis, the soles disintegrated. I also wasn't hiking at all during this time. It seemed about the same amount of walking, but what I was walking on chewed them up.

As these are not marketed as daily wear shoes for urban/suburban life, I don't think it's reasonable to fault them for that "limitation". That's like buying a 4WD offroad vehicle and then complaining about how fast the knobbies wear down when you use it for commuting on the road. For that reason, I didn't even consider that when I gave my 5 star rating. Had I, I would have made it a 4 star instead, because the comfort and handling of these boots override other considerations for me. They are THAT good.

I just recently picked up my second pair of these. My first pair wasn't made in china, these are. There was a touch of tightness around the balls of my feet the first pair didn't have(12 years earlier and 45 lbs lighter), but no pain or ciriculation restriction. The tightness faded with hours of walking. Other than that, they feel EXACTLY the same as before, with the same great toe space area that no other boot gets right for me.

As for the quality of the new boot, time will tell. I got 7 years of good service out of my last pair. They appear to be just as high quality as before. In fact, they actually improved the design in one important(for me) way... The top four lacing hooks on my last pair all used to be "open" so that you would wrap the lace around it, rather than running a lace through something. I would often miss the bottom hooks when tying these in a hurry. Now the bottoms have been closed off so that they are laced through, and I like that layout A LOT better.

The last few years, I didn't have a pair of eccos as we had just had our kids and I was in ultra budget mode when it came to stuff for myself. In that time, I developed chronic low back and foot pain. Within 5 minutes of walking around in these(tightness and all) the foot pain was gone. After about a half hour of walking in them, the low back pain was gone.

I had read other reviews on the net where people claimed that, but it sounded dubious till I experienced it myself. If I put on my old shoes, or walk around barefoot on our hard tile floor, the pain comes back, but if I put these boots on, it begins to go away again.

These Eccos have made me realize that the "good deal" shoes I've been buying haven't been doing me any favors. Enduring chronic pain to save 150 bucks is nuts. It's not indulgence or wasting your money when it's a basic quality of life issue like that. Smiles for your kids and everyone else come a lot easier when your back isn't in a knot and your feet don't feel like someone took a bat to the bottom of them. A small price to pay for peace.

These boots are worth every penny.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sole does not last, January 6, 2009
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
This will be my second pair of ECCO Men's Track II High boots. I will start out by saying that they are very comfortable and the uppers are bullet proof. The weak link is the sole. It is an injected/molded design which cannot be replaced (with same design). The outer material wears quickly, exposing the black injected foam. Once this happens, the sole will wear quickly and the boot will have to be re-soled. When I sent mine to Ecco, they charged me $75.00 and replaced the sole with a hard Vibram sole. Completely changed the characteristics of the boot....no longer a "cushy" ride! Contacted Ecco customer support and got noooo response. Opposite of Keen which will do anything to make their customers happy.....disappointing!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE my eccos, December 23, 2006
T. Janke (deer island, or United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
I am a 5'6" woman courier for FedEx and am on my 4th pair of ecco boots. Women's boots are too flimsy and in and out of a truck 100+ times a day, I need ankle support that women's boots do not provide. Each pair of eccos have lasted 12 months or more! The other day my manager was complaining that he needed a new pair of boots and he proceeded to show me the soles of his 6 month old shoes (mind you he does not put on nearly the mileage, on his boots, that I do) that he'd paid $70 for and the tread was completely gone in places. My boots on the other hand, which I've had over 12 months, show lots of tread left. He balked at the $200 price, but for me these are worth every penny. They are light weight and do not require a break in period. I prefer the Track II High style the other style I did try but returned because they did rub.

1.0 out of 5 stars Significant Quality Problems, July 8, 2012
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
Like many people writing reviews of ECCO shoes, I have been a fan of theirs for 20 years, if not more. Sorry to say that in the last few years, I have experienced quality issues with ECCO, primarily with the sole and occasionally, fit. My experience has not been as dramatic as some here, where the sole suddenly disintegrates or performs a disappearing act in the closet after one month of wear. Rather, I noticed that within six months of purchase the soles of my shoes and boots showed grey-black dots, about the size of a pencil eraser. At first I thought I had stepped in something inky, but upon closer examination I realized that the dots were actually holes in the sole, disintegrating from within. The dark spot was merely the outside skin of the sole had not (yet) disintegrated. Of course that inevitably wore off or fell off, and I was left with two pairs of boots and two pairs of Track II shoes in various stages of sole disintegration. I should say that not all of my shoes were in equal disrepair. One just had a few "dots". But the boots were a disaster. Moreover, I also noticed that the seam between the sole and shoe had started to crack and come apart on one of the Track II shoes -- alarming. I had several pairs repaired via the mail in service (Nushoe) but those soles wear out as any other type of sole, so I felt that I had not enjoyed the durability that ECCO once promised, in exchange for premium pricing. I am very hesitant now about purchasing ECCO, and feel disappointed that I must say that.

1.0 out of 5 stars FYI, January 1, 2013
Genna Bender "Bender" (Aberdeen, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
[...] This should be readily available public knowledge for anyone looking to purchase this shoe. After all, it is your hard earned money that you are shelling out to them. They make the soles in a way that they fail early on so you are tied into a repair or "reconditioning" fee. wrong wrong wrong. ECCO = FAIL

2.0 out of 5 stars Sole deteriorates, January 17, 2011
Poink (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
First off, I like Ecco shoes and probably among the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. If not for the deteriorating sole, I would rate this 5-stars.

I bought mine couple of years ago and wore it probably 5 times. This weekend it is cold and raining and I decided to wear it. About an hour later I noticed that my foot is not feeling right but I ignored it. After a while, I checked the shoes and the sole literally is breaking apart. A few chunks as big as 1" x 1/2" x 1/4" can be seen along my trail (and I was just shopping in Costco)! I got home and checked the sole...inside it looks like a soft almost clumpy/powdery foam and once the rubbery outer shell started to break, the rest just falls apart.

I am very disappointed with the quality especially for the price I paid for it. I will never recommend Ecco until they change their sole material.

3.0 out of 5 stars poor stitching, March 1, 2009
Snuffy (Missoula, Montana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
I am on my first pair of Track II'S. The stitching has not held up which also damaged the gortex lining. I have sent the boots (shoes) back to the repair facility. I understand these are now outsourced to China for manufacturing. That being the case, I suggest a tune-up within the QC dept. The price of these shoes certainly commands better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same, December 28, 2007
I have a pair of ecco high gore tex boots purchased six or seven years ago which I really like and the quality and workmanship is second to none, the new ones are not the same, being outsourced to China was not a good thing to do to the customers who want high quality and comfort that we were used to in ECCO products..

5.0 out of 5 stars One Weird Review, I Grant You ..., March 29, 2011
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
Let me tell you a story that involves the Ecco Track II Mid Goretex boot. Years ago -- more than six or seven -- I bought a pair of Ecco Goretex insulated boots (not the Track II model) for dealing with snow and ice where I lived in the mid-Atlantic region. I wore them only for sizable accumulations of ice and snow, say six to ten times each year. The boots were comfortable, gave great traction, and, thanks to the Goretex and Ecco's workmanship, never leaked.

Then I moved to an area of the country that gets more snow on a regular basis, but, at the same time, I retired, thus requiring me to go out in the rotten weather significantly fewer times each year. Still the Eccos functioned admirably.

Last December, as I prepared for a winter-long stay in Florida, I dragged the Ecco boots out of the closet to cope with a sizable overnight accumulationm of snow that accompanied our leaving town. I put them on, walked through the house to the garage, and discovered that the latex lug outer sole on each side of the heel was disintegrating with each step, exposing the molded insole at the heel cup. In short, these boots were now useless ex-boots.

Not having time to deal with this before my trip, I threw the boots into the car with a plan to deal with them once I hit Florida -- I had bought them at Nordstrom in DC. After the hubbub of Christams, I took them to Nordstrom and was told that the boots were too old for a replacement and, besides, Ecco did not make this boot any longer. I walked away, mot too disappointed because, hell, they were going on ten years old. But, still, they were Ecco, they were not heavily worn, were supposed to last, and I was disappointed that they had inexplicably fallen apart.

So I turned to other matters. As I shopped in the store, the shoe clerk with whom I had dealt tracked me down with a business card for Ecco's customer service, with an e-mail address and phone numbers. Typical great Nordstrom service.

Later, I called Ecco. The customer service rep promised nothing over the phone, but took my address anyway. A few days later, a large plastic pre-paid meiler came from Ecco. I filled out a form, answered a questionnaire (honestly), and dropped the package in a mailbox.

Months passed, and by then I'd written off the boots. Forgotten about them, in fact. Then one day about two weeks ago, a large box appeared at my door via FedEx. It was a brand new pair of Ecco Track II Goretex boots. In my size.

Anyway, I said this review is weird. For one thing, I haven't worn the boots yet, since it's 85 degrees and sunny in southwest Florida, so I can't say anything one way or another about the product. Let's assume my review would be great, five star. For another thing, the noew boots are mow mine simply because of Ecco's OUTSTANDING customer service and an unquestioned backing of their quality product. The boots do look great, fit my foot, and I hoave no idea what they cost!

I can't promise you that Ecco will do the same thing for you, but they sure do have a lifetime customer in me. I'll gladly buy yet another pair of Eccos if I can wear these babies out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Check fit and wear a little before you buy, April 7, 2007
scott_from_dallas (Irving, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
I bought these shoes from a clearance rack. A little less than half price, and having looked for these previously, I thought I was all set. They weren't even really hand scuffed at all, as I've seen many display models take much more abuse.

Took them home, and per my policy of wearing around the house before I ruin them for return, started noticing they were a bit tight in the forefoot area -- around the top of the foot from where the ball is. At first, I thought the laces were too tight, so I loosened them, but I noticed the problem on the other shoe. Add to that the fact that 1) the size was correct -- I have several pairs of Ecco shoes that fit perfectly; 2) my right and left foot are actually a little different from each other (don't ask), so a problem in one shoe shouldn't necessarily be repeated in another unless there is a bigger problem; and 3) I've never noticed this in any pair of shoes that were otherwise fitting correctly. I knew I had a problem, but I kept hoping that they would break in a little, so I wore them until I couldn't stand them -- about 30 minutes. I've learned from previous experience that there is no use fighting it. Take the emotion out of the equation and return the shoes. As much as I hated to give up a great deal, I knew I wouldn't wear them.

Now, they MAY break in, and they MAY fit your foot perfectly. I think they can be a very good boot for those that fit. All I'm saying is that don't assume that your size in this shoe will fit your foot. My foot is wide, but width wasn't the problem. They were comfortable other than the front top of the shoe.

ECCO Men's Track II Mid Gore-Tex Boot