4.0 out of 5 stars Decent addition to home "library"
We deliberated a great deal in trying to find a piece of furniture that would accomodate our hundred or so softcover books from our 18-month-old and 3.5 year old daughters' collection. So many of the softcover books just get lost in our hundreds of other books, and thus don't get much exposure.

We chose this one after looking over everything from canvas...
Published on June 26, 2009 by goonius

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality
We have had the shelf for only a few weeks and it is already falling apart. Although it is made of mostly solid wood, the fasteners are not holding up, screws are pulling out... I am making one more last ditch effort to save it with some gorilla glue tonight... otherwise it is hitting the dump. :( So, so very disappointed.
Published on October 11, 2010 by Happy Working Mom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent addition to home "library", June 26, 2009
goonius (a room in a house on a street in a city just like any other.) - See all my reviews

We chose this one after looking over everything from canvas sling-style shelves and multitudes of similar shelving units from companies like Steffy Wood and Guidecraft. We settled on this one because of the size and price and I have to say, I'm glad we did. Though the dimensions seem large enough on paper, this is a surprisingly small piece of furniture once you've gotten it together. This is fine, I suppose, considering the size of the kids, but I can't imagine how tiny some of these book displays are. This seems the perfect size, even for our 18-month-old.

Assembly took about 30 minutes by the way, and was fairly straightforward. Although the shelving unit looks like it's got a lot of wood to it, it's actually rather flimsy plywood pieces that are surprising sturdy once assembled (you almost forget entirely how thin the individual components are- it looks quite solid). You do have to be mindful of their flimsiness during the assembly as there is a potential for breaking them if you're not careful.

We are able to store/display about 10 - 15 softcover books per shelf. Which isn't our entire softcover collection, but at least a significant portion of it. They overlap so that you can see about one third of the cover - just enough to identify what book it is. They're actually quite attractive stored this way, and the kids seem to enjoy it. I imagine that with hardcover books this would be a difficult strategy to employ, and you might only be able to display 4 to 5 books per shelf, maximum. The shelves, at 1.5 inches are really quite shallow.

I'd still be curious to read a really good review or recieve comments in regards to other shelving units of this sort and how they compare in terms or storage and display. It's hard to get any idea what these units are like without being able to actually see them in person first. Most of the reviews I've read are lacking in details.

As for this shelf, we are pleased overall, but its one drawback is the price. Considering the cheap materials and the fact that it's made in China, I'm thinking this should cost about half what is being asked. However in comparison to what else is out there, it's probably a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, solid wood, easy assembly, January 24, 2014
This review is from: ECR4Kids Birch Hardwood Single-Sided Book Display, 15", Natural (Toy)
Love ECR4Kids for preschool/ECE furnishings and learning materials. Like other items I've purchased from the company, this single-sided book browser is built to last and withstand serious child's play.

PROS
* Super durable, solid birch wood (even the thin backings are solid birch plywood)
* Holds a great many books for the floor space
* Although made for picture books, shelves are deep enough to accommodate chapter & board books
* Attractive, neutral, simple design (I much prefer the simplicity over the gaudy colorful canvas book slings this replaced)
* Nicely child-proofed, with sunken screws, rounded edges, thorough sanding
* Easy & quick to assemble; one line in the instructions indicated "2 adults required" but I was able to assemble by myself with my two children "helping"; no tools or special strength required

CONS
* Honestly can't think of any! unless it's that the consistent quality of the ECR4Kids label is making me pass on furnishings by other brands :)

[ETA: After reading other reviews, I'd like to point out three things:

1. Some here have commented that the thinness of the boards makes them flimsier. But in my experience, the thinness or thickness of a given material matters less than the material itself. That is, you can have a thin board but if it's a hardwood, as this is, it will still be strong. As it happens, birch is an excellent choice for children's furnishings because it is a strong, fine-grained hardwood that -- importantly!! -- can be cut relatively thin. Thinness is actually a good thing here, because it means that the furnishing can be better scaled to children's small bodies... The fact is, if you tried to make this product with thicker boards, you'd end up with thicker shelves, which would mean fewer shelves, and/or shelves that are less accessible to children. Most makers of children's furnishings select birch (or sometimes maple) for this reason. (But maple is much costlier, way out of the price range for many families and preschools/schools.)

2. Others have commented that their displays fell apart soon after construction. With due respect, I wonder if they followed the instructions to use the provided hex tool or another hand tool (rather than a power screwdriver) and to avoid overtightening the hex screws. If you overtighten them, you strip the holes, the screws come loose, and the boards start to fall apart. But as long as you tighten gently, this browser should hold together for many years' use. Pro tip: Don't be afraid to *undertighten* if you're not sure! You can always tighten a screw more later. You cannot, however, undo damage to a stripped screw fitting.

3. A couple of reviews mentioned that this doesn't fit very many books. Although I was able to pack in about 30 books, in my (ECE) view this is PLENTY because the purpose of a browser is to offer a LIMITED selection of books to children from which they can choose without feeling overwhelmed. What a book browser is NOT meant to be is a substitute for a conventional bookcase that stores books with their spines out. So, if you're looking for a solution to your book storage, consider incorporating BOTH a browser and a bookcase: Use the browser to hold a small number of books based on a given theme or your child's interests at the moment (bugs? dinosaurs? fairies? space?), store the rest in the bookcase, and ROTATE the books to keep things fresh. :)

Hope these comments help other caregivers! <3 ]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great display shelves!, March 11, 2012
I bought these nearly 1.5 years ago. Assembly was rather straightforward and I did it on my own. I love having the books where my daughter (now 21 months) can easily see a selection and choose her books. These certainly don't hold nearly all her collection, usually about 20-30 board books, hardcover books, and paperback books combined. We rotate the selection and keep the other books on traditional bookshelves. She can easily take ooks off the shelf and put them back on. After a year and a half, these shelves still look brand new.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, October 11, 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly what I expected with 2 concerns, April 9, 2014
The shelf was as expected with 2 exceptions.
1. Where the books rest (back of horizontal shelves) are flimsy. Not sure if its laminate but it is very thin. I was expecting thicker, maybe pressed wood.
2. The bottom shelf is pressed wood (what I expected) but when the screws were inserted from the side, the wood split on the shelf. I am not sure how it will hold up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect bookshelf for a toddler, January 2, 2014
Being a teacher I tend to feel the need to have my daughters toys, books, games, etc organized. This bookshelf allowed me to remove her books of ALL shapes and sizes from our adult bookshelf and place in her very own. The bookshelf allows all of her books to be displayed and roughly holds 40-50 books depending on the size. Assembly was fairly easy, I was able to do it without my husband (even though it says it needs two people). My daughter loves and I love it! Well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy piece, December 27, 2013
This item takes a beating from my two year old. He loves to sort his books every night. It makes it easy for him too pull out his favorite ones and put them back when we are done reading. It is a very nice product for the $ and is pretty easy to assemble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids room bookcase, December 23, 2013
I bought this for the museum I work at and it easy yo reach for children and heavy enough kids can't tip over.

5.0 out of 5 stars book display, August 31, 2013
Was what I wanted; good quality and great price would suggest that other people looking for a Book display for daycare to get one of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantful assembly, August 28, 2013
It was super easy to assemble. I found some minor cracks around the edge of boards but it does not seem to be a big issue.
Kids love it, I love it. Highly recommended

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

ECR4Kids Birch Hardwood Single-Sided Book Display, 15", Natural
$159.99 $137.02
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies