Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: EMPIRE USB Charge Cable for Nintendo DSi / DSi XL / 3D S [EMPIRE Packaging]
AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis

TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 9, 2014
I wish Nintendo sold a first-party product for USB charging, but since they don't, I did a lot of research to find a good substitute. When possible, the charger that comes with your 3DS is a better choice as it has a longer cable and seems to charge faster (which is typical when comparing USB charging to AC charging). But I wanted some spares I could place around the house/car so I didn't have to take the larger, less-portable AC charger around.

Some USB charging cable reviews state that they only charge when the 3DS XL is powered off or sleeping, so I made sure to get one that can charge while playing since that's an important feature to me. Luckily, this one fits the bill perfectly. The price is great too. For the price of one Nintendo-branded AC charger, I ended up getting 3 of these USB chargers. It also works great with the car USB adapter I have in the cigarette lighter port, so charging on the road is super easy.

Only real negative is the cable length is quite a bit shorter than the Nintendo charger, so if you are charging while playing, you are a little bit more tethered down. The quality is also not quite as good as the Nintendo one, but as long as you take care of it and don't yank it or anything while plugged in, should still last a long time.
on August 28, 2011
Works great on my 3DS! Charges it with no issues! I have a limited number of electrical outlets to charge my 3DS and I have plenty of usb ports. I also use it in the car with my cigaret usb charger which was a cheaper way to get a car charger.
on October 14, 2011
The usb charge cable arrived on time undamaged, and works great for my 3ds. I can keep playing it even while it's plugged in.
on November 29, 2013
Works great with my son's 3DS! I use it with an Anker Astro 3E 10,000 mAh external battery pack and it will last all day. Works great on long car trips and long shipping outings. Planning on buying a couple more. Reasonable price for a specialty cable, and the quality seems fine.
on April 4, 2015
Super cheap, does what it needs to do, I bought this to use with a portable charger while I'm on campus or if I have to take transit so that I don't have to worry about my aging 3DS running out of battery power while I'm out and about.
on July 9, 2013
I just received this USB charger cable in the mail today and I have already used it to charge my 3DS with no problems whatsoever! I can charge the 3DS while playing and the charging light on the 3DS goes off when fully charged just as if I were using the original power adapter. This product is very convenient for me because I am usually near a computer and find it uncomfortable to reach behind my desk to plug in the power adapter. This cable was able to fully charge my 3DS within 2 to 2.5 hours via the USB connection on my computer.

Overall, a very nice value for $5. The seller (Empire) was very quick to ship the item. I received my item at the same shipping speed as Amazon Prime (2 Day Shipping).

I highly recommend this item and the seller!
on April 16, 2014
Having this cable means I can charge my 3DS whenever I want, however I want. I carry a Mophie JuicePack around with me so that I can always charge my phone/Kindle/iPad/anything, and this cable enables me to just use this as an extension of the JuicePack. Similarly, I can charge my 3DS from a computer. I can charge it from a universal power adapter in the car. I can charge it from anything that charges USB, which is basically everything.
on March 21, 2014
Sole reason for purchasing this was to be able to take the 3DS with me when vacationing abroad. It operates while charging, unlike similar products from other manufacturers. My only complaint would be it's length since I'm only planning to use it for charging and don't care much to use it while gaming. Most of the people want the opposite but this is just me.
on November 15, 2014
Works great on my 3DS and 3DSXL. I've plugged it into multiple devices such as my MacBook, a Dell desktop, portable 2.1A output battery, 2.1A car charger and it's been able to revive my battery dead 3DS allowing me to play while getting a charge. Was a bit skeptical with the other reviews but it worked perfectly for me.
on April 11, 2013
Great product for a great price. All of the retail stores wanted $25 or more. The charger arrived ahead of the estimated delivery date and i found it to be of good quality. I bought one from a retail store and it broke within a few months, it was a low quality plastic charger. Great price, Good quality!!!