4.0 out of 5 stars Just a review of the series overall, not the packaging
Published on July 27, 2012 by Mike S.

2.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
Love the show....... it gets 5 stars

From the back of each disk set >>>

WIDESCREEN VERSION: Presented in a "MATTED" WIDESCREEN FORMAT PRESERVING THE ASPECT RATIO OF ITS ORIGINAL TELEVISION EXHIBITION ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TVS.

The Amazon page cleverly discloses >>>> Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1

What...
Published 8 months ago by Happy Pappy

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a review of the series overall, not the packaging, July 27, 2012
Mike S. (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
Chances are if you are looking at this, you have some idea of what ER was. I remember it as the "it" show that everyone had to watch when it first came out (it debuted my senior year of high school) because everyone talked about it the next day at work, school, and even on the radio. It was a unique show that had an ensemble cast where there was no big star. Clooney was not the mega star he would become because of the show and after he went to movies. He was just a guy you may or may not have recognized from bit parts on sitcoms. Anthony Edwards was most famous for his role as Goose in Top Gun. I think that formula is what kept it on the air for 15 years, because as one person left, they were just replaced with another person who was not a mega star. In fact many times, especially after the show became popular the guest stars and cameo appearances were by people more famous than the cast. And, there are a lot of people who started out with story lines on the show that went on to become pretty big stars (Kirsten Dunst and Lucy Liu are just two examples).

THE NEXT TWO PARAGRAPHS CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM THROUGHOUT THE SERIES SO BE WARNED....

I look at ER as two different series. One that lasted until the original cast left and the one that remained after that. I watched it pretty consistently up until Anthony Edwards decided to leave the show. Then I watched off and on up until the last season. I am actually using the DVDs to fill in the things that I missed. I personally think the perfect ending point for the show would have been when Greene was killed off, and sort of handing the lead to Carter. I know the show was still getting decent ratings at that time, but that would have been the high point to end it and it would have never been accused as being a series that hung on too long.

My favorite story lines tend to be from the first few years of the show. Greene being assaulted, Carter and Lucy being stabbed (the subsequent episode "All In The Family" being one of the best in the entire series) and Carter's resulting addiction to drugs, and the story line that led to Clooney's exit from the show are the ones that stand out to me. I also like how they worked in the original cast into the final season, through guest spots and the flash back episode for Anthony Edwards. I also liked how they gave Noah Wyle a story line in the last season, so we could see the ending from Carter's perspective since it started following Carter as a medical student.

If you have never seen ER, I cannot tell you whether you will like it or not, or if you will like it all the way through or not. That is totally subjective. I can tell you that in the early seasons especially it was well written, well acted, and different than most other shows on TV. Like any show that goes 15 years it had some episodes and story lines that were not as good, but on the whole it was a very good show, and better than many shows during its run and since it has been off the air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing deal, Amazing series, May 26, 2013
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
Ignore the reviews saying this is a cheap set with discs that don't work. I purchased this as the Deal of the Day last week and it was one of the best Deals of the Day I have ever seen. I bought this for $150 last week and it shipped in two days. Everything was packaged nicely and safely, so nothing was damaged during the shipping process. The sets themselves are all nicely done, other than the misprint on the DVD menu of the other episodes being on the other side of the disc. The quality of the show is pretty amazing for something from 1995, and this is watching it full screen on a 32" TV. I also use a DVD player, not the PS3, to play the DVDs because they are an older publication. People who complain about not being able to view it on their PS3 should try an actual DVD player instead. Overall, for a show from 1995, they did a great job mastering it and putting it on DVD. So ignore the complaints about how "cheap" this set it. It is well worth the money. The shows on today can't even compare to this show!

4.0 out of 5 stars Captions for Hearing Impaired are missing on some., August 12, 2013
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
Loved the show when it was on TV and I still love it. I am hearing impaired and missed a lot of dialog when it was on so I was looking forward to watching these with the captioning. Many of the seasons do not have this option. It's great to watch without commercials! With so little to watch on TV these days, this has been a real treat for me. I just wish the captioning wasn't missing on so many seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic, Idealistic, June 21, 2013
J. Y. (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
(I wrote the below almost 8 years ago)

But a really good show!

I can't say it was the gore, the drama, or the fact that I too was working in an "ER" but I started watching the show religiously during its airings from 9 to 11 on TNT. I used to work up at a level 1 trauma center in Chicago as an ED technician. I would work at night and thus have the mornings free to vegetate. I have been able to follow the show from the first season to what I believe is the sixth season (TNT cycles the episodes after it ends).

I'll give you what I believe is the main reason why I am hooked to the show and then go on to bash what I think the show misportrays but what it ultimately inspires. Main reason- The show is about real characters. Drama, medical technical details aside, you get to heart of what makes ER a compelling medidrama- people with real issues, real flaws that work so tirelessly to help others. You feel for Nurse Hathaway or Dr. Greene. They aren't as one dimensional or as stereotypical as a sitcom character. You can identify with them as a protagonist but at the same time, dwell and anguish over their decisions and choices on the show.

Some of the problems I have with the show are that of what makes the show compelling. A lot of medicine is not as engaging or as clear-cut as ER may make it seem. You see Doug, Carol, Mark, Benton work so tirelessly to help others. They're committed, dedicated, and passionate about their work. As a tech, working in a real ED, I found this lacking with a lot of residents and attendings. The reality is medicine at times has very few rewards, very few emotional peaks and ebs as ER would make you seem. There are very few thank yous, very few heart-agonizing moments. Sometimes, towards the end of a 12 hour shift, you feel numb to the work you've done.

This is all to say I don't love what I do and what I'm going to get into (going to start med school this July). It's just ER is to medicine like Apprentice is to corporate business. The show's way too idealistic, overdramatic. But the point of a good show is not for it to be realistic which brings me in full circle to the main reason.

A good show allows you to identify with its main characters, like Carol, Doug, Jeanie because they embody such heroic characteristics that you would want in yourself. The main characters are what you want out of doctors, PAs, nurses working in an ER. I wished doctors could all be a little more like Dr. Benton or Dr. Greene. I wish I too could work in a place like County Hospital, maybe starting as a lowly tech, working my way up the ladders. But that would be too unrealistic, idealistic of me.

****Update- now as an Emergency medicine doctor working fulltime

It's funny that I wrote this review so long ago. And looking back on it, I remember how I felt working in the ED. There were too few celebrations or wins and more if anything, losses- the miscarrying single mom or the alcoholic here for the 100+ plus time, or the diabetic with angina pain versus anxiety attack. But there were those moments, where I was part of a resuscitation as a tech; where there was a good outcome and we left the room, exhausted but happy that we prevailed. I still feel this way as an attending physician working in the ED.

A lot of emergency medicine has changed in the past 10 years- the general public overutilizes the ED. there is overcrowding, patient boarding and waiting a room upstairs, and also our general population is aging and getting sicker. But I still am passionate about those moments when I can make a difference. I know when you are here in my ED, you're probably experiencing the worst day of your life and I'll do my best to comfort and care for you. I won't be as reckless as Dr. Doug Ross or as heroic as Dr. Carter but I will work my best to take care of you and get you thru that day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just great, November 17, 2013
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
Dear ER fans. If you are looking at this set this is really a great series. Wonderfully exciting and well written.
We enjoy watching the young stars of the series and would highly recommend this as a purchase. If you love
older TV and like the quality of really great acting and writing then you will love ER.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, quality product, November 10, 2013
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
I looked for the best deal and found it here. The product received was all 15 individual series boxes wrapped together. I would have liked a custom box to hold then together, but for the price, it was as expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value!, October 30, 2013
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
I got this on a lightening deal. It has got to be one of my most favorite TV shows of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, September 22, 2013
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
Cane in perfect shape on time! So thankful I found this in the US! Great series for medical drama junkies

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete 15 seasons of ER is a true guilty pleasure, September 12, 2013
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
A luxury for any ER fan for sure, the complete series of all 15 seasons of this award-winning drama will keep you riveted from beginning to end with every single character, actor and story line from County General at your fingertips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show - terrible shipping/handling UPDATED, June 22, 2013
S. Grieb (Mid-Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 (DVD)
Obviously this is a great series. If you liked the show, you'll like the DVD series.

I'm only writing this review for the shipping/handling. I realize that shouldn't reflect on the actual product, but since Amazon is not addressing this issue, I feel I should warn people.

Several of the seasons I received have broken pieces in the case where the discs are just tumbling around in the boxes. Normally I wouldn't care about this, but when I spent this much money on something it better be in good condition. My other concern is that when I brought this up to Amazon, I was told I could return the entire series and purchase from a different seller (I purchased originally on a daily deal where it was $150, obviously that was not the price when I called to complain - the cost at that time was $225). Amazon couldn't offer me the same price and I find that ridiculous.

Don't purchase this from Amazon. Not at this time anyway.

UPDATE:
After the first comment on my review, I contacted Amazon again about a replacement item. Despite the fact that it was outside the return window (I think I contacted them in October 13), Amazon sent me a new set of DVDs. However, several of those seasons were damages as well. I traded out all the damaged seasons for undamaged seasons (luckily none of the same seasons were both damaged). So I now have all undamaged seasons, but it was quite a hassle and why are they still mailing damaged seasons?? I've purchase many, many things from Amazon and never had so many damaged items before. I actually don't think I've ever received anything damaged except this show.

ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15
ER: The Complete Seasons 1-15 by Various (DVD - 2011)
$678.82 $299.99