5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars A potentially great product that isn't.
I used the old 'three hump' Jawbone ERA for years. In fact, it was the only piece of my personal technology inventory that didn't turn over in 3 years! The thing was bullet proof. Decent sound. Decent battery life.

Published 9 months ago by Greg

2.0 out of 5 stars A potentially great product that isn't., February 26, 2014
This review is from: ERA by Jawbone Bluetooth Headset - Black Streak - Retail Packaging (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I purchased the new ERA last month directly from Jawbone. It was quite exciting as they had almost 3 years to perfect their old ERA that I currently owned. But they didn't.

There are a lot of reviews on this already, so I'll cut to the chase. There are two showstopper issues:

o The battery life, at best, is three hours. It is less than ⅓ of that of my iPhone. Really? The thing is so small that they could have made it a bit bigger and stuffed in some decent battery life! 3 hours just doesn't cut it. I shouldn't have to worry about the battery life on my bluetooth headset amongst everything else's battery life.

o Inbound callers CONSISTENTLY complain that they can't hear me well. When I call them back, they hear me loud and clear. Nothing else changes, my location, my phone remain the same. My other/older BT headsets work fine. There is a software/firmware bug.

I really, really, really wanted to like this thing. My old ERA was a brute and just performed well. I had hoped that this did the same...but it didn't. I returned the new ERA and got a replacement and the same problem exists where inbound callers can't hear me well. It wasn't limited to my one headset; it appears to be systematic.

My recommendation. Don't purchase this product.

An addendum: June 24 2014.

Jawbone released a new firmware version a few weeks ago. It does fix many of the quality problems to a partial extent, but not all. It also introduces some issues, such as voice 'pixilation' on calls, white noise during quite conversations, and it seems to reset the ringer volume on the iPhone when the Era device is turned on...strange. Once again, my old '3 hump' jawbone sounds and performs better than this latest release ERA with the latest firmware. Many of the issues probably have to do with physical design; something a firmware update can't compensate for completely. The device is very, very small. Making it difficult for it to connect with the cheek well so that the 'noise assassin' can do its job. So, my recommendation (if one can call it that) remains: Don't purchase this product.

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 5:00:36 PM PST
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of ERA by Jawbone. We're sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this issue with inbound calls, it definitely sounds unusual! Have you had a chance to explore the fit of the headset? It is very important for any Jawbone headset to have the right fit in order for NoiseAssassin to work properly and for you to have the correct sound quality. Please check out this video for information about the fit: https://jawbone.com/support/newera

We would love to get in touch to help resolve this issue, so please give our Customer Advocates a shout at socialsupport@jawbone.com when you have a chance. We look forward to hearing from you!

1.0 out of 5 stars Jawbone - you really blew it., March 15, 2014
John (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
So.... this is the classic example of fixing something that wasn't broken - and breaking it. I had the original Era. LOVED that headset - the best one I've ever had. I lost it in a snow drift (long frustrating story, don't ask...) Tried to buy a new one........discontinued but NEW AND IMPROVED IS ON THE WAY!!!!!!

So I waited. Finally - here is THE NEW AND IMPROVED ERA BY JAWBONE!!!!!!!

New? - yes. Improved? - well let's see

Old Era - 5 hours talk time - after a 40 minute conversation? "about four hours talk time remaining"
New Era - 4 hours talk time (I'm not sticking that stupid box on my head) - after a 40 minute conversation "about 2 hours talk time remaining"

Old Era - Standby time: powered on and in standby - all day no problem
New Era - about 4 hours when powered on and in standby - no joke. If I forget to turn it off before I go to bed, it will be dead dead dead in the morning.

Range. Seriously - If I am walking around on a call, I have to hold the phone in my right hand or the connection will drop. if this thing is more than 4 feet from my phone, breakups and digital artifacts overcome the conversation.

Audio quality - as long as the phone is within 4 feet and I'm holding it by the edges - audio quality is great. Or if I'm sitting at my desk with the phone in line of sight then it works pretty good too.

Noise Assassin - Well... I must say, that still works pretty well.

tl;dr: better: size. same: noise reduction. worse: Every thing else.

The old era was the best bluetooth headset I've ever used.
The new era is hands down the worst piece of junk I've ever owned

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 5:00:09 PM PDT
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of ERA by Jawbone. We really appreciate your feedback and will make sure to pass it along to the appropriate teams here at Jawbone. If you should ever need help, please feel welcome to get in touch with our Customer Advocates at socialsupport@jawbone.com - we will reach out right away!

1.0 out of 5 stars Expected it to be better.. Beware - UPDATE, February 7, 2014
Update 5/30/14 - I just received an email from Jawbone letting me know a firmware update is now available. Well folks.. (Jawbone) That took way to darn long to take care of. This will be my last Jawbone purchase ever... But I will give Jawbone the "Asleep at the wheel" award for dragging their feet. Nice job there.. I've also dropped my review from 2 stars to 1 for negligence on Jawbone's part.

..a copy of the email Jawbone sent today...

"An even better ERA(tm) experience
Over the past few months, we've learned a lot about how and where our customers are using ERA, and about how ERA is performing in these varied situations. Through consumer feedback, we discovered an issue that may weaken the NoiseAssassin feature on some headsets, and we've come up with a fix through a software update. We're pleased to be able to improve your experience, and we hope you'll let us know how ERA is working for you.
To get the update, connect ERA to your computer using your USB charging cable."

Hopefully it's fixed now..

UPDATE 3/7/14 - I've been sitting on my RMA back to Jawbone for a month now hoping that Jawbone would release a firmware update for the headset. Nothing.. Nada.. Will be shipped back to Jawbone this weekend. I completely regret buying from Jawbone also as I have to pay them to send it back to get a refund. I *WONT* make that mistake again.. Stick a fork in this one..

I'm pretty disappointed. I returned a Plantronics Legend because of the STUPID proprietary charging connector (see my review on Amazon) and bought this straight from Jawbone as it was not available from Amazon yet.

UPDATE - Apparently Jawbone has issues with these headsets. There's also a small thread on Reddit about it, my guess is we'll be hearing more soon. When on the phone with Jawbone to return it they basically admitted it. I'd stand down for a bit and see how this dust settles. 2/7/14

My issues with this headset:

1. My discriminating callers complain about the audio. It isn't as good as the old ERA and nowhere near as good as the Plantronics Legend. The Legend had the best, most natural audio my discriminating callers have ever heard from a headset. (I miss that - again see my review on that headset for context)
2. NoiseAssassin 4.0 doesn't work well for me. With my old ERA people were unaware of road noise when I was in the car. They hear it with the new version. They also hear more ambient sound around me than I believe they should.
3. My old ERA (pre 2014 version) would adjust the sound level in my ear to match ambient noise. When in my car it would turn the sound up for me. The 2014 ERA does not.. If anything it reduced the volume several times when I preferred it hadn't.
4. The new C Type earpiece is uncomfortable for me. The Jawbone help video for this headset shows the position of the headset being inline with your jawbone but because of the position of the spout on the ear gel for this headset to sit in this position it's uncomfortable I'm my ear. If I move the the C type earpiece so it's comfortable, the headset jawbone sensor no longer fully touches my face hanging in the 7 o'clock position versus the 8-9 o'clock position. On this headset they fixed the old issue of the earpiece rotating by using adding a tip to the headset earpiece base that fits in a slot in the ear gel. Great idea, but to fix my issue the slot in the ear gel needs to be in a different spot.
5. It will not announce the name of the caller by default. It will simply read the phone number of the inbound call. For this functionality you have to import caller names and it can only accept up to 20 (like the old ERA). I never used the caller ID functionally on the 2 previous ERA's I've owned because I found the way it's implemented to be antiquated. I have 300+ contacts and 20 - just isn't enough. The Plantronics Legend would announce names no problem. 2014 Model? Really? Feels so 2010 -
6. Talk time is less than the old one.. This has become mildly frustrating already after having it 3 days. I could probably look over this if the headset didn't have other usability issues mentioned above.

What I like

1. It's so light.
2. The earpiece speaker has the best audio I've ever heard from a headset. It even has bass - amazing.
3. Micro USB charging port (THANK YOU!!!)

[buzzer sound effect] - This one is going back too.. ugh.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, January 30, 2014
Amazon Customer (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this the day they came out, and have been looking for something to finally be this good. I drive a convertible that has the top down for about 95% of the time, and this is the first headset that I would say is better than tolerable. I have owned many headsets, maybe 20 different top models, and this is the first one where I can have extended conversations with the other participant being willing. This is extremely high praise, as that is a very loud environment with a lot of different noises to address.

The sound quality is fantastic. The conversations can be easily heard on both ends, and the clarity is outstanding.

This pairs very quickly with both my S4 and my iPhone 5 when turned on.

The battery life is fairly good at 4 hours, but I would get the charging holder, or you will need too plug it into a charger more often than other headsets.

The customization is quite good with the phone app and the web-based functionality. I would recommend using both, as they do very different things, including announcing the names of 20 different unique numbers.

Overall, I am extraordinarily happy. It is great to have something better than tolerable! rrh

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good customer service has provided a replacement headset under warranty that solved all my issues with this headset so far., February 15, 2014
I am extremely disappointed. This is my first headset of any brand. I had read many fabulous reviews of the Jawbone line, particularly the ERA model. I charged the headset up fully, and the battery was depleted in 4 hours, with maybe 10 or so 1 minutes calls. No streaming music, nothing to drain it down. I recharged the headset, was advised to do a "hard reset" and again pair it to the Motorola Razr Maxx. I did so, and left the headset paired but unused. It lost and hour of talk time, about every hour and a quarter, simply being paired to the phone, on standby with absolutely no use. In 4 hours, it was dead again. I posted a message on the Jawbone Community Forum, but have received no responses. I think this item will be going back on Monday, when I can get it repackaged, request the return authorization and get it over to UPS. Truly amazing and disappointing after all the favorable reviews.

UPDATE 2/25/2014

I contacted Jawbone Customer Service by email and arranged a telephone consultation. The Customer Service Advocate, Andrew, was very polite. After I pointed out that I had gone through all the suggested resets and re-pairings, he arranged to have a Warranty Replacement headset delivered by Fedex Overnight. I received the new headset a couple of days later.

I knew things were different the moment I turned the new one on. I immediately got the voice telling me that the headset was now in pairing mode, something that had never happened with the original one. I then logged in to my Jawbone software account where I was again prompted to download the Jawbone software. I did so, there was also a firmware download. (all of this occurred with the original headset also.) I charged up the new headset, and then put it to use. The new headset is still reporting 4 hours of talk time, after being charged and on for 14 hours, although with minimal use. Unlike the original, the new headset seems to be having no issues connecting with my Droid Razr Maxx. I think it is safe to say that the first headset was a dud, the bane of all early adopters with the introduction of a new product. It may be too early to tell, since I'm in the early stages of using the new headset, but thus far, it seems to be living up to the Jawbone reputation of good quality products that I had previously read about. I am increasing my rating from 1 star to 4 stars. I do not feel that I can go 5 stars at this point, due to the aggravation and frustration of having to deal with what was obviously a defective example of the headset.

I do not know how many others may have purchased a defective copy. Mine was purchased directly from Amazon, not a third-party seller on Amazon, and arrived in what appeared to be factory new condition, identical to its successor, so it does not appear that the first was some counterfeit knockoff that got into the commerce stream. Just a word of warning, it is my understanding that Jawbone will not honor a Warranty claim on any product not purchased through an authorized dealer. You can check their website for a list of authorized dealers. Amazon is an authorized dealer, but some of the third parties selling on Amazon may not be. Be sure that you are buying from Amazon, and not an unauthorized third party vendor selling through Amazon. As my situation has demonstrated, that warranty protection could prove critical. Grabbing up a copy at a "great price" may prove to be quite costly, if the seller turns out not to be an authorized dealer.

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 5:20:40 PM PST
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience, we really appreciate it. Based on what you've shared, we would love to get in touch and discuss some troubleshooting/replacement options with you. Please send our Customer Advocates an email at socialsupport@jawbone.com when you have a chance and we will reach out right away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Long awaited improvement over the Icon and original ERA., January 31, 2014
Jetbeech "Alex" (Land of 10,000 lakes) - See all my reviews
I have owned 2 of the original ERA's and 2 Icon's along with Bose and Motorola headsets. This was a much wanted improvement. With the molded gel earpiece and it's lightweight design it is by far the best Jawbone yet. I can barely notice it is in my ear. It comes with 3 different sized gel earpieces, a cable, instructions, and No charger-(a bit of a surprise). Your computer or any other usb charger should do the trick or the three previous Jawbone chargers I have in a drawer. The volume can be louder than the previously models(another needed improvement.) At 4 hours of talk time It has 1 hour less then the previous model ERA. This is understandable because it is so much lighter. Please realize that this is 4 hours of continuous-use talk time and not standby time. I have had it on for a 9 hour day with about 1 1/2 hours of talk time and it still says it has 2 hours of talk time remaining. The software functionally is identical to the previous ERA and Icon models so the transition was easy. There is now a smartphone app from Jawbone for all their headsets. With this new ERA the App allows you to page your headset to find it if it is lost. Check out the online review from CNet; it was rated best. I will update this review after a few months to see if there are any shortcomings. Beware of the Amazon reviews that are not a verified purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound with deeper bass that is surprisingly close to ..., August 17, 2014
Remarkable device. Feather light compared to original ERA. Amazing sound with deeper bass that is surprisingly close to apple EarPods . Reviews claiming horrible battery life are wildly overstated. I have found battery life to be 10-15% less than original ERA. This loss of battery life is minor compared to the benefit of a Bluetooth earpiece that you don't even notice you are wearing after 2-3 minutes. I found myself the first week constantly checking my ear to make sure it was still there. Also the new shape of the rubber ear inserts are sooooooo much better than original ERA. They are larger yet are shaped like the human ear which accomplishes two very important tasks: 1. They seal sound into the ear which improves overall sound and bass response (a helpful analogy would be that the new era vs. the old era is what the Apple EarPods are to the original round apple headphones) 2. They essentially "glue" the new ERA in the correct position with the mic against your face and this ELIMINATES the need for the old "ear loop" apparatus. (I wear my jawbone upwards of 6-8 hours a day so getting rid of the dreaded "ear loop" was especially important to me). Two more features that I will quickly touch on but are invaluable once you try them. 1. Pause what you are listening to with one touch of the talk button, urn pause with three presses. I listen to pandora or podcasts nearly 100% of the time at work (I'm in security so I use my eyes mostly), but when I needed to have silence I was always having to pull out my iPhone and enter my security code and press pause. Imagine controlling what you are listening to without ever pulling out your phone. PURE NIRVANA, and iPhone users will love this feature bc it feels like it did when IOS 7 added the control center so you could adjust settings without having to go down what I call the "iPhone settings rabbit hole." 2. Download the free jawbone app and you can locate your missing earpiece ( imagine an app that finds your misplaced car keys when you are late for something and you will know what I'm talking about). Finally, I took the time to write this lengthy review bc when I was considering upgraded from old era to new era I kept reading review after review and they were all endless complaining. People somehow want a tiny device , unlimited Bluetooth range, 24 hour battery lives, and 100% noise cancellation. These are also the people that go into the woods looking for Bigfoot , NEITHER EXIST!!!!! I used the old era daily for a year and a half and I can honestly say that the new era improves on the old era in every way. And regarding the tiny loss of battery life: just put the 3 inch long charger in your pocket, bag, or purse bc it uses a USB plug in and honestly, how far are you ever away from a USB outlet? My laptop, work computer , car charger, TV at home all have USB outlets. Just plug it in for 30 minutes and you are good to go for another few hours. I just secured my new era charger to my iPhone / iPad charger with a simple zip tie and made a homemade multi device charger I keep on me at all times. So to all you people out there with the bulky Bluetooth devices that wrap around your neck, you may feel "cool" but you look as comical as people wearing google glass. I will take my tiny earpiece anyday and avoid those two large red spots that you get on your neck from those bulky neck bluetooths that make you look like you have two permanent rashes. Hope this review helps anyone "on the fence" about the new ERA. Cheers.

1.0 out of 5 stars This device was disappointing., June 8, 2014
I own a Bose Blue Tooth Earpiece for my cell phone.
Starting a new business, I wanted the best noise cancellation on the market so I bought the ERA by Jawbone with the charging case.
This devise failed miserably.
1st Amazon replaced it. Then Jawbone replaced it, and now I am on my last replacement by Jawbone for "warble" and failed noise cancellation. I did complete trouble shooting by Jawbone including software updates and factory resets.
I even had my iPhone 5s replaced under warranty by Tmobile to trouble shoot the phone as a variable. No success yet. One more try and I give up!
Not a good review from me at this point.
Bob in Miami

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 3:07:27 PM PDT
Considering that you've updated the ERA by Jawbone to the latest 1.2 firmware and the call quality issues have occurred across multiple devices, we'd recommend looking into the fit of the headset. It is very important for any Jawbone headset to have the right fit in order for NoiseAssassin to work properly and for you to have the correct sound quality. Please check out this video for information about the fit: https://jawbone.com/support/newera

Another aspect of Bluetooth headsets that can cause call quality issues is cross body interference. When the device your are using with a Bluetooth headset is on the opposite side of your body as the headset, this type of interference may occur.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great headset. Ignore the bad reviews., September 28, 2014
This is an absolutely beautiful headset. I am at a loss to understand how anyone could think otherwise.

I've owned several other headsets including the Icon, the earlier Era, and the Plantronics M50, along with many others going back 10 years. This is way better than all of them. Here are the details:

SOUND: The speaker is by far the best of any Jawbone, and any other mono bluetooth headset that I've ever used. It sounds beautiful, and it even has the capacity for strong bass. You can hear this when you turn on the headphone and it powers up. It almost vibrates in my ear. It's astonishing. I often listen to audiobooks on my phone. The Icon was adequate and the earlier Era was an improvement. This one finally gets it right. Better than right. It's awesome!

MICROPHONE: While I haven't tested with voicemail, I have asked several callers to tell me about the sound quality. They've said that it was excellent. It also filters out background noise way better than the M50. I don't know what the other complaints are about.

FORM FACTOR: It looks great and feels solid. By far the best looking headphone so far. Also very comfortable to wear. Even the packaging shows attention to the detail. It is beautiful and simple without a lot of extra frills.

IPHONE APP: The headset can be easily controlled from a beautiful iPhone app that also works with other Jawbone devices. Very slick.

BATTERY LIFE: It may be a little shorter than prior models, but I haven't had any problems. This easily has enough juice to get me through a day of calls. It's plenty of battery for practical purposes, and I have yet to find any noticeable difference compared to other headsets based on my use patterns.

I almost didn't buy the headset because of the bad reviews, and I'm really glad that I took the risk. I even carry it around with me at times where I would normally leave my other headsets at home, just because I like it that much.

I normally don't take the time to post reviews, but I have an emotional connection to this product. It's beautiful, and it doesn't deserve the bad wrap that it's getting from other reviewers. It should have a 5-star review. It's better than any Jawbone designed so far, and easily better than the other headsets on the market that use conventional microphones. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

2.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't broken and they "Fixed it", June 22, 2014
I have been using Jawbone's headsets since they first came out and this was a quantum leap backwards. It is much smaller and lighter in comparison to the previous model, but to the detriment of talk time. I have yet to get more than an hour of talk time out of it when talking with the same person. The sound quality is pretty decent, but people I talk to tell me I sound as if I am talking at the end of a tunnel, while with my old ERA, they can't tell the difference between my handset and the headset.

I regularly have to charge this at least twice a day, which can be annoying if I don't have the time to plug it in. For some reason, they removed the accelerometer, forcing one to answer and hang up calls by pushing the button on the back of the headset. While not that big of a deal, I can see many people being annoyed with having to hold the headset with two fingers while pushing the button with a third. It was far more convenient to be able to just tap the headset. I know it wasn't due to space as accelerometers are tiny and they don't use that much power.

Noise assassin didn't work at all on my iphone 5. In fact, I have noticed a steady degradation with every new generation of Jawbone. The original, while the size of a brick, would filter out pretty much anything and everything. This new one doesn't muffle much of the ambient noise. Wind I know is nigh impossible, but other noises, like city traffic and other types of consistent noise should be filtered out.

I do like how small and light the new ERA is, but I do think they could have not made it as small, while putting a slightly larger battery in, and keeping may of the good features of the old, namely the tap to answer and hang up. The ear hook design is much better and I can wear it all day with no soreness.

What it appears to have happened is a classic case of a company getting distracted with other projects, while neglecting it's core product.

Will I continue to use this headset, unfortunately, no one has anything which is remotely even comparable in terms of design and function, which isn't saying much since they are so bad. For some reason, the bluetooth headset market has hit a wall and there isn't much development going on these days.