4.0 out of 5 stars Mimics the way I cuddle my baby
We purchased the Ergo Baby carrier and Heart to Heart infant insert for use with our two-month-old son. Overall, my baby and I are very happy with the product.

Pros:

Published on March 30, 2010 by Emmy Jo

2.0 out of 5 stars Test it with your baby before buying
This is the second Ergo infant insert I've bought. I bought this one hoping it would work better than the old infant insert. It doesn't. Basically, if your newborn doesn't like the Ergo carrier, it's likely neither insert is going to help. You should test the Ergo with your newborn before spending the money.

My husband and I loved the idea of the Ergo...
Published on December 28, 2009 by ockeghem

4.0 out of 5 stars Mimics the way I cuddle my baby, March 30, 2010
Emmy Jo (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)

Pros:

1. I love that this insert holds the baby upright -- my son definitely prefers being carried this way. (The older style infant insert carries the baby in a reclining position, "sling-style.")

2. The insert positions the baby EXACTLY the way I hold him when I'm cuddling him close to my chest. The little padded seat holds him up the way I hold him with my hands, and his legs are positioned exactly the same way. This tells me that the Heart to Heart insert really does mimic the most natural way of carrying a child.

3. It doesn't put all his weight on his crotch, unlike other front carriers.

Cons:

1. It's very fluffy and padded. This is great for winter time, as you don't need coats or blankets for the baby. But if you were to carry a summer-born infant in this carrier, you and he might become uncomfortably warm.

2. It's a little tricky to position the baby in comfortably, and the directions aren't entirely clear. (At one point, the directions say it's important to put your hands under the baby's bottom and rotate the baby forward, which I'm still not quite sure I'm doing correctly.) But after a couple times, it's much easier.

3. The baby's feet are still inside the carrier and always feel a bit squished. My son seems perfectly comfortable, so I'm sure it doesn't bother him, but they do look rather squished.

Overall, I would highly recommend this product for a fall- or winter-born baby. If you live in a place with very hot weather and your baby will be a newborn during the warm months, you might need something a little more light weight.

2.0 out of 5 stars Test it with your baby before buying, December 28, 2009
ockeghem (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)

My husband and I loved the idea of the Ergo carrier, as the hip belt helps alleviate back problems and is much like our packs for backpacking, so we registered for one. But however much we like the carrier, my eight-week-old, 10.5 pound daughter hates it. I've been trying to get her into the Ergo using first the old infant insert, and now the Heart 2 Heart, repeatedly ever since she was born, but with no success. The moment I put her (in the insert) into the Ergo carrier, she starts screaming and doesn't stop until I take her out. I've watched the video for the old insert (note: there's no video for the Heart 2 Heart) and am following their technique exactly, but still she just hates the carrier.

Neither insert provides enough head support for my daughter, which is why I think she screams. The Heart 2 Heart in particular doesn't work; when she's settled into it as per the instructions, the insert doesn't come up high enough to support her head, and she's not a particularly long child. So her head flops forward when she tries to look around, which frustrates her.

Both inserts feel like a bit of an afterthought -- I'm not convinced the Ergo carrier was designed with newborns in mind. Having the baby's feet out one side in the old insert seemed like a stopgap solution, and the Heart 2 Heart doesn't quite solve the issue, either. Interestingly, I picked up a used Baby Bjorn as a last resort after having spent all this money on the Ergo and the inserts, and she likes the Bjorn, because it's stiffer and provides more support. I think she won't like the Ergo until her head's a bit steadier; we'll go back to the Ergo then.

So it's worth knowing before buying this insert that it may or may not be money well spent -- it all just depends on whether your child likes it or not, and there's a possibility she won't (as I've now seen multiple reports on various sites saying that their newborns also don't like the Ergo; wish I'd done this research before getting the Ergo and spending the money on the inserts). It's worth waiting until after your baby is born and trying out the infant inserts before buying them. Otherwise, you may want to hold off on the Ergo until 4-5 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, the baby loves it!, July 8, 2010
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)
I was a little skeptical after reading some reviews of the infant insert, but I decided to try it out anyway. I have used the Bjorn and various maya type slings, and this is by far the most comfortable carrier. I'm prone to plugged ducts and mastitis, and this carrier with the insert puts no pressure on my chest, so it's great in that regard.
I started using the infant insert when my newest was almost 3 weeks old. It was a little hard to figure out where her feet and legs go at first, and she was really uncomfortable when I tried to splay them out and have her feet poke out the sides. That's definitely not the way to do it with such a little baby. I found that the trick is to have her knees up following the line of the fabric just along the inside of the padding and her feet almost touching and down at the V shaped base. You may think they're getting squished but she doesn't complain at all so it must be comfortable for her.
I also couldn't figure out whether she was supposed to have her head resting on the top edge, kind of sitting away from my body or resting on my chest. She took care of that for me. When she's awake her head is up and she's peering around. When she gets tired she puts her head down on my chest and rests very comfortably.
The hotness factor was also something I read about. My daughter was born in mid June and we live in Maryland, where it's pretty hot and humid in the summer. Yes, the insert is hot. But so is the Bjorn, and so are slings. I just put her in a onesie and we're both a little damp on the chest when she comes out. No big deal, really. I think the pros outweigh the one con that it's hot.
So it does take a little fiddling to get it just right, but once you do it's super comfortable for you as the wearer, and a nice little nest for the baby to ride around in. I definitely recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars works great, but WARM!, December 11, 2012
I love this because I love my Ergo, and it allows me to use the Ergo with my newborn. I know that others have recommended just using a rolled-up blanket in the bottom of the Ergo instead, but I tried that and it didn't give her any neck support, and I was worried she could fall out the sides (plus, it just looked uncomfortable). I did take a star off because it gets VERY warm - even in winter, I can only use it for relatively short periods of time unless I'm just in a T-shirt and the baby is just in a onesie, so I'll be glad when she is big enough to go without it. For now, though, it gets four stars simply because we both love the Ergo so much, and this is a necessity!

3.0 out of 5 stars to small for my son, June 17, 2010
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)
My son is 2 months old and when I put him in the insert, he was too big for it so I just use the cushion to boost him up higher so that he is where I want him in the carrier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bulky, hot, overly restrictive for my baby. Quality made, though., October 10, 2011
Aimee Cowles (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)
My girl (7.5 pounds at birth, now 13 pounds at 2.5 months) is not fond of this insert at all. I tried it at first when she was a newborn, and I've tried periodically since. Rarely, I could keep her in it-- IF I started walking quickly enough for her to pass out before her fussing escalated, but then she would just freak out when she woke up later. My husband seems to have gotten her into it successfully a few times for walks, but she still only enjoyed it for napping while walking. I wanted to be able to walk with her as well as carry her around the house for chores, particularly when she in in a "hold-me-all-the-time" kind of mood. I certainly don't think we could come close to a "babywearer's" experience with this product.

Positives:
* All-cotton fabric is cool to the touch and feels healthy for baby's skin.
* Made very well, not likely to fall apart.
* Padded border of the insert is just the perfect "neck roll" size for baby.
* Baby is safe and secure inside Ergo.

Negatives:
* Combination of the Ergo itself and the padded insert makes the whole package very hot (like a sleeping bag)-- uncomfortable for baby and care provider. When my baby started sticking her feet out the the carrier, it was hard to balance dressing her in clothing cool enough to bear the carrier's warmth while keeping her legs and feet from being chilly.
* Makes the carrier very binding for baby so that she is really squished in there. My baby only liked swaddling for the first few days of life. If your baby is like mine and wants a lot of physical freedom of movement, your babe might not enjoy being squished in the insert.

This product might be great for the right baby, but it's not working for us. The insert makes it too hot, even for our area where the temperature has been in the high 60's in the midday. The baby's environment is too bulky and makes her feel unhappily squished.

I read someone else's review where the mom said she used the Ergo carrier fine without the insert since her baby was born. I'm going to give this a try. it doesn't seem like it would by any different than dropping my baby into a sling with her feet crossed. Please post your comments with details of your experience if you've already given this a try. Thanks!

EDIT:
I tried today and found that the Ergo carrier *without* the insert is perfect for me and my 2.5 month old baby. I used a rolled blanket under her bottom to lift her a little, which placed her neck right at the top of the carrier. (You could probably keep your baby lower or use the hood for more neck support.) Her feet went to either side of her and were hanging out the sides. In that butt-supported position I could have also crossed her feet beneath her, the way you would if she were upright in a sling. Hope this helps!

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand how this thing is supposed to work, August 19, 2010
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)
I bought the new infant insert like everyone else on here hoping it would support my baby in the ergobaby. The ergobaby seems like it will be great for when my son gets older, but this infant insert just doesn't make any sense. My son is squished and hot. Not to mention it doesn't support his head at all. When he's leaning backwards he looks like he is straining his neck as it doesn't offer much support. I don't know if I'm just doing it wrong but he's looking straight up towards the sky, that can't be comfortable! If he leans forward he is right under my chin so I can't look around and I'm afraid he can't breathe. To be honest my son and I both hate this stupid thing. I wish they would come out with better instructions on how to use it. I might try what others have said they did and just use the cushion, but at 4 weeks I don't think he'll have enough head control for that. Maybe down the line it'll work. I'm excited to use the carrier without the insert.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, October 24, 2013
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)
My baby was over 8 pounds when he was born. I had this, but found it easier to just tuck a blanket under his butt. This is like a huge winter coat that wraps around them & you still have the Ergo around them too. I found it way too hot & bulky. I just took a swaddle blanket, tucked it under his butt & it worked much better! And as he grew I could change the amount of blanket under him so it was actually adjustable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but......., November 21, 2012
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)
I bought this for my second daughter because she was tiny when we brought her home. While I liked the idea of it (and used it quite often), I never felt that I could get her little legs in comfortably. It was also cumbersome to get her in and out while she was sleeping. Plus, there was the heat issue. I live in Texas and she was born in July. Even in the refridgerated section of the grocery store she would be drenched in sweat by time we were done. I ended up using the pillow it came with or a rolled up blanket at the bottom of the ergo until she was big enough to sit in there by herself.
Summary: Buy it if your baby is tiny, but it's not necassary once they hit about 10 lbs!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my baby..., November 11, 2011
This review is from: ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural (Baby Product)
This insert was perfect for my baby; when I began using she was 12-lbs and it was the only way she liked being in the carrier. She was a baby who liked to be swaddled and I think this made her feel secure like that. It offered great support and I could use both hands to do choirs and play with my toddler (such as pulling in her in the wagon out for a walk but not exactly any activities where I had to bend a lot). I actually use the Bjorn now that she doesn't need the insert since she doesn't seem to care for the Ergo Baby carrier w/out the insert. I gave it only 4-stars becuase there is such a limited time that this product can be used.
There were several comments/ reviews about it being "hot"; I used it mainly indoors and my infant did not seem to mind. I used it a few times outside (July-Sept in Nashville TN) and it was warm but again, she didnt seem to mind.

ERGObaby Heart2Heart Infant Insert, Natural