‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My new friend, September 9, 2013
I have an abundance of knives: little ones, big ones, shiny ones, dark ones, pokey ones, and choppy ones. This is my first ESEE, and I must say I'm impressed.

The ESEE-6 is one of those knives that just looks good and feels good in your hand. It's kind of difficult to explain, but if you're a regular knife user, no explanation is really needed. It comes sharp and ready to go. And go it does.

I don't usually make a habit of "abusing" knives, but I received the ESEE before a weekend camping trip and decided to abuse it maybe just a little bit, so I spent the weekend with the ESEE making big pieces of wood into little pieces of wood (something I don't usually do with knives ... I use an axe), randomly digging holes like a kid on a beach, and cutting through chicken bones (barbeque chicken over a fire is good). I even used the ESEE to open a few metal cans, although doing so made me cringe as I was half convinced I was going to bend the tip of the blade (the blade did not bend). The ESEE handled everything in my little unscientific weekend experiment without any problem whatsoever.

Although I won't be abusing my new ESEE again (I like it too much to be mean to it), it has already become my go-to camping knife, and I have a feeling it will be camping and hunting with me for a long time to come. Have you ever met someone for the first time and you instantly like him or her? You're not sure why, you can't really explain it, but you just have an instant connection. The ESEE-6 is the knife equivalent of such a person: you just like it the first time you pick it up (the knife, not the person, as I'm not sure how the average person you just met would respond to being picked up).

At the price point the ESEE-6 is a difficult knife to beat. I'll be purchasing more ESEE knives because good knives are like good beer: why have only one?

5.0 out of 5 stars Top rated survival/camp knife, September 28, 2013
First, all of the exact specs are located here so I won't cover that. However, what you will discover, either after buying a boxfull of knives or with a few years of experience, is that knives made of the same materials and made by different manufacturers have different qualities. The use of 1095 high carbon steel is to me the best overall steel for a rough use knife. Then add to the knife steel the right heat treatment and you have a winner. Google or Youtube heat treatment for knives for a better explanation. Some manufactureres will use the same steel but not get the heat treatment right. Esee does this correctly.

There are many more expensive knives that can be found here on Amazon or elsewhere made of more exotic if not more expensive material. You don't need them unless you have money to throw away or are into status symbols. A rival knife that costs a little more and is superior is the Falkniven F-1. Consider that one long and hard. And surprise, there are vastly cheaper knives as good but just don't have the cool factor. And those are the Mora knives. For just camping and no survival considerations, you can't beat a Mora Companion, MG, or about 5 other Moras costing less than 20 dollars. But if it is a combo camp and survival knife, I think the Esee 6 is just about perfect.

The knife handle or scales, are made of linen micarta. Again, before putting out some bucks, check out a Youtube video on how micarta is made. It is a tough material that will take abuse yet seems to grip better when wet- with water or heaven forbid, blood. As a survival blade it works for the bigger tasks as well as some smaller. But for consistently small tasks you would do well to consider a Mora vs. a more expensive smaller knife or neck knife. Be sure with what ever you choose to always carry a way to sharpen your survival blade. There are many more reasons to buy this knife that other reviewers cover such as the warantee, it's a full tang knife, has an excellent sheath, etc.

Anyway, the only down side may be that you cannot "try out" an Esee at a local sporting goods store, they just don't seem to carry Esee as it is not a favorite big box brand. That means if it fits your hand may be a gamble. I have what I would consider to be medium sized hands and this knife fits like a dream. It is designed so that you can choke up for small tasks or by using the included lanyard, grip the rear of the handle to get the just right leverage for chopping. This knife by the way is an excellent chopper and it batons sizeable wood just fine. Still as another has said here, for gosh sakes don't make this or any knife chop down trees, use a camp axe please. If you are considering this knife you are on the right track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding survival knife, May 20, 2012
This review is from: ESEE 6P-B Fixed Blade Knife (Misc.)
I bought this knife to replace a smaller knife and an ax I carry backpacking. First thing I tried was making firewood from an oak log. The knife has excellent weight distribution, I let the blade do the chipping work. We batonned firewood durnig a backpacking trip and also used the knife to slice apples and summer sausage after batonning. The knife is as sharp today as it was whan I received it some months ago. The grip is excellent for my hands - I have medium size hands although wear large size gloves. It comes with a plastic sheath that I clip to the outside of my pack. Highly recommend the knife. I got mine for $109, delivered. That's the lowest price I have seen. Around $125 is a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Hail the King, April 19, 2013
best knife for the money out there, i own several esee knives now and cannot say enough good about them, fit, finish,sharpness from the box, craftsmanship...it's all right here without the heavy price tag, the only other ones to consider in this range would possibly be swap rat knives or scrapyard knives, beckers are great knives for the money but these are definitely worth the little extra for better handles,sheaths and finish...... not slamming busse of any of the other high end knives but i cannot justify spending that much on a tool that i plan to beat up and use rough, they are great great knives but to much imo for a working tool, that's why i've settled on the esee brand and others in this range, alot of bang for your buck and you don't feel like a heel for smacking it about with a bit of hickory.

i use the esee-6 paired with an izula and a Ontario 18 inch machete as my camp/hiking/survival set up, i have yet to find myself in need for anything more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Knife I own., July 29, 2013
This knife is very durable, well balanced in hand, and simple. For how much knife you are getting it is a great deal. I own many US-made knives and this is the best knife Ive ever had. Buy it and try to put it down the first few days; you'll find it back in your hand for no reason other than that it is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a well thought out bushcraft/survival knife!, July 19, 2013
This review is from: ESEE 6P-B Fixed Blade Knife (Misc.)
Finally a knife that incorporates the best features of bushcraft/survival knives! I have bought and sold many knives looking for the best all-around survival knife that was large enough to split kindling, yet not unwieldy or theatrical, and had a grind angle to allow for more delicate tasks and food prep as well. I finally found everything I was looking for in this blade.

Here's what I like about the ESEE 6: the knife has a cutting edge of 5.75". This length, and the grind angle of 20 degrees, makes delicate tasks possible, and the extra .75" of the blade is used for a finger choil which is very functional, making the knife even better for delicate tasks. The size of the blade also is not so small that it excludes the possibility of splitting kindling. The blade being made out of 1095 steel makes the knife strong and not easily bent, while not so hard that you worry about it shattering with chopping or batoning. A .188" blade thickness at the spine and full flat grind makes splitting kindling easier and more efficient, and doesn't add on extra weight for unnecessary blade thickness. The drop point is much stronger than a clip point, and puts more steel behind the tip, making it harder to bend or break. The thumb jimping on the spine is very functional, but not overly raised above the blade profile or hokey like the BK7. The sheath is very functional and has good blade retention and the knife comes with canvas micarta handles, which are much, much better than grivory handles, as seen in the Kabar/Becker knives. A full tang makes this blade strong and allows for a pommel at the back of the handle for hammering tent stakes. Finally, ESEE's no questions asked, transferable repair or replacement policy for broken or bent knives is amazing! Basically, you're paying a little more than other knives for a knife that you'll have for a lifetime and for multiple generations, as long as ESEE's in business. Finally, the cost is the only real draw back for the ESEE 6. It's about twice the price of the BK2 or BK7, however I would suggest looking around at sites other than amazon. I found mine on the-knife-connection.com, during a sale, for $108 including shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY Good Knife, November 27, 2013
Great knife. I bought it primarily for backpacking, specifically to process wood for a small wood burning stove and other general bushcraft tasks. In that role I couldn't ask for a better knife. A 6 inch blade to me hits a sweet spot between being large enough to baton through large pieces of wood without being unwieldy and weighting a lot (over ~14 ounces). Ive been using cheaper knives in the woods for a long time and this knife makes pretty much all cutting tasks much easier and more enjoyable. Getting firewood ready for the night is no longer a chore and takes a fraction of the time.

I was considering a lot of other very popular knives from ka-bar, buck, and ontario but went with this because of its sheath, blade shape, and lifetime warranty. Under $150 for a quality knife that will be with you for a lifetime assuming you don't lose it? That's a no-brainer.

A word of info for you however. The blade is advertized as .188" or 3/16" thick. That is the thickness of the steel from pommel to where the full flat grind begins. That cutting portion of the blade is slightly less but still more than 1/8" thick. It's not a big deal to me as if it breaks due to use/abuse, that's where the warranty come into play.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of Knives!, November 19, 2013
Hands down the best knife I have ever purchased. I've had cheaper knives in the past and never was really impressed. You get what you pay for these days. After doing exhaustive research, I decided to purchase an ESEE knife, vs other high end knives(Falkniven f1, Blind Horse Kives, TOPS). For the money and life time guarantee, I think ESEE is overall in the top two manufactures of high quality knives. This knife will take a country ass whopping and come back for seconds! I know this knife is gonna be in my camping gear for a very long time. I recommend this knife to anyone. As I side not, I do plan on purchasing the F1 and ESEE 3 early next year. We'll see how that one fairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Field Knife, May 8, 2013
This is a high quality knife, Its good to know that if I had to fight a Grizzly bear I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars all business, January 29, 2014
This knife is without equal. It is not a skinning, "fighting", carving, or gentlemans knife. It is a hacking, splitting, digging, cleaving knife, perfect for opening demo boxes, cutting bamboo, and punching holes in mud walls and grizzly bears. The sheath can be affixed to MOLLE with a little ingenuity and some 550 cord, and offers just the right amount of security, while the knife itself is a solid chunk of utility gear that my, yet unconceived, grandkids will fight over fifty years from now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›