4.0 out of 5 stars Keep the mag...just give me ESPN Insider

2.0 out of 5 stars Great if your attention span is less than 30 seconds
Published on January 10, 2007 by secoulte

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep the mag...just give me ESPN Insider, December 21, 2007
This review is from: ESPN (1-year) (Magazine)
Like a previous reviewer, I subscribed to this magazine solely for the access to ESPN Insider. Instead of paying $6.99/month for Insider, $14.99 gets me a year of ESPN Insider, along with a year of the magazine. As for the magazine itself, it's sort of a high-energy, exciting, layout-filled sports page. The tone of it is far from serious, as it is filled with jokes and sarcasm (not necessarily a bad thing.) But if you're looking for a well-written magazine with insightful articles, stick to Sports Illustrated. If you simply want a colorful magazine filled with cool sports information (and your ESPN Insider access), go ahead and get this. I did, and I look forward to renewing it in a few months. In fact, just for the ESPN Insider, I'm raising my rating from three to four stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great if your attention span is less than 30 seconds, January 10, 2007
secoulte (Lake Tahoe, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ESPN (1-year) (Magazine)
I purchased this magazine solely to get cheaper access to ESPN Insider Online. The magazine is so all over the place otherwise that its hardly worth reading. Its chock full of tidbits that barely gloss over sports topics. I keep it in my bathroom and I guess its good there when I only have a few minutes to read while brushing my teeth or whatnot. Don't expect SI-type depth though, its full of ads and slick factoid type departments. Reading this magazine is like watching Sportscenter, a lot of many little things with no depth on anything. I guess its worth it for less than 60 cents an issue, but if I sat down to read this magazine cover to cover I would be done with it totally in under 15 minutes....enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassingly Bad, June 8, 2007
This review is from: ESPN (1-year) (Magazine)
I should preface my review with two facts. First, I don't pay for ESPN The Magazine, it just started showing up in my mailbox a few months back and hasn't stopped. Secondly, I love sports, so I'm interested in the material. With that said, this magazine seems to have been designed for those under the age of 14, or at the very least, individuals with attention spans equal to Robin Williams on speed. The writing is juvenile and boring while the format is clearly an attempt to mask these faults. To make up for its kiddie pool depth, the magazine is stuffed with things like countdowns, top 10 lists, odds and anything else an interns can whip up before the deadline. Bottom line, it takes 4 minutes to read the thing cover to cover, and at the end you'll wish you had that time back.

1.0 out of 5 stars No insider, February 12, 2013
ESPN will make you put in a credit card number to get access to the insider service even after you get your first magazine.

3.0 out of 5 stars has big feet, December 24, 2006
David A. Baer (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: ESPN (1-year) (Magazine)
Like a puppy with large paws, ESPN The Magazine may grow up to be a large periodical. Right now I'd call it a fun-loving puppy without housetraining.

Don't get me wrong, puppies are cute. I like puppies. Everybody does.

You may not want to pay an annual subscription for a magazine that looks and acts like a puppy, though. That's your call. I wanted SI, but that venerable publication can't be had for the price of frequent flyer miles like ESPN The Magazine can. So I compromised.

By comparison with SI, ESPN The Magazine gives you a flashier, big-photo, post-modern jumble of short pieces that seems to derive from the verbal, television-friendly style of its parent. I'm not the deepest of sports fan, so I don't mind this. But if you're after the kind of in-depth analysis that SI offers, you might be disappointed by this alternative.

ESPN The Magazine is definitely a *fun* read, and if that's what you want, you'll like this. When my first issue came wrapped in a 'special promotional issue cover jacket' that presented Ricky Bobby as 'Sports Figure of the Year?', I knew instantly that this publication couldn't be all bad.

And it's not.

But it's light. It's airy. It's bubbly.

Think SI Lite. Think halfway between a comic book and USA Today. Think a puppy with big feet.

Hey, puppies are just all right with me.

1.0 out of 5 stars ESPN - Corrupt Company - Falsifies Renewals, June 26, 2013
ESPN sent a bogus renewal of this subscription to a collection agency when I wouldn't renew the subscription. ESPN falsified a renewal order. How corrupt is ESPN and their supporting agencies?

I believe this can and will be settled in small claims court at 'treble the damages' at the maximum award amount. With that success, I'm sure there is a hungry lawyer who will "class action" a correction to ESPN's devious and falsified business practices.

I'm not the first to get one of these after doing a internet search... [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking substance, August 25, 2009
This review is from: ESPN (1-year) (Magazine)
I switched to ESPN The Magazine from Sports Illustrated because I wanted an Insider membership on their website, and I figured I'd try something new. Now I am regretting it. The majority of the content is lame random facts and top ten lists. The few articles longer than a paragraph are hard to find between all the ads, and they lack substance and anything to entice the reader to keep reading. This magazine feels more like teen magazine with all the gaudy headlines and lack of any real reporting or journalism. If you want a magazine with interesting and insightful sports articles, beautiful photos, and 1/100th of the advertisements, get a subscription to sports illustrated. This magazine is lame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware if Buying Solely For ESPN Insider, March 28, 2013
John C. (Marysville, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Like a lot of others, I bought this purely for access to ESPN Insider. However, as of the Winter of 2013, it is not possible to register for Insider on ESPN's website without entering a credit card number. I have no interest in signing up with my credit card on ESPN's website for automatic renewals.

I subscribe to several magazines, and manage most of them through Amazon's magazine subscription center (which is a hidden gem of the site). Frankly, I'm surprised that Amazon allows ESPN to get away with such a blatant scheme to move subscriptions away from Amazon.

Bottom line, if you buy this to get Insider, know that you're going to have to fill out a lengthy web form which includes your credit card information on ESPN.com. I gave this 2 stars, because, surprisingly, the magazine isn't as bad as I thought. Every other issue or so has an interesting article, which isn't too bad for the $5/year I paid. If they'd just shrink it down to a reasonable size, I might actually start reading it more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Subscription Rate, July 17, 2007
This review is from: ESPN (1-year) (Magazine)
I will NEVER order a magazine subscription this way ever again!!!!
It says allow 4 to 6 wks.......HA its TWO MONTHS tomorrow.....and this was suppose to be a Fathers Day gift!.......gee wasn't that in June?
I called to complain and still no magazine! And of course it's already paid for.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, October 4, 2014
Worst magazine subscription ever. I had a subscription for a year, average magazine at best. OK articles from time to time, but there better publications out there. But the real problem is that they trick you into the "insider" on-line material for what they say is free but requires a credit card. Along with this is an auto-renewal, which they said they disabled when I originally gave the information. They charged me full price for the following year and added on a monthly insider fee also (so much for the disable feature). Call them on the phone and you speak to clowns.........waist of time.

ESPN (1-year)
ESPN (1-year) by ESPN, Inc.
$143.76 $29.95