on July 15, 2009
I selected this ESQ Beacon Chronograph from an assortment of available watches available as part of a 40 year Service Award from my place of employment. I've always been a watch person and regularly looked for new watches until my Dear One gave me a Rolex some 20 years ago. This has been the first watch that has tempted me in many, many years.

I read what I could about it. Information was scarce or even (as on this Amazon page) inaccurate. (No, this isn't a woman's model as the product information says). But features and appearance coupled with the Movado name led to make this choice. I received the watch yesterday and even such short acquaintance tells me the choice was a good one.

First Impressions: This watch is BIG. I always viewed my Rolex Datejust as a large watch but next to this ESQ it is small, small, small. This is not a negative. Indeed, considering how much information this watch can provide between its various dials and its rotation bezel, it is a positive plus.

Interestingly none of the material, either here on Amazon, or elsewhere speaks to this models aviation motif. And "motif" may not in fact be the right word because the bezel is specifically designed to help aviators answer specific questions about fuel usage, air speed, and range. More amazing is the absolute dearth of information about any of this provided with the watch. (My pilot son provided me with the information needed to take advantage of the watches capability)

How useful this will actually prove to be for me as a non-aviator only time will tell. But the same rule also can work as a traditional rotating slide rule. That I will no doubt have use for from time to time - but will I have my reading glasses with me on those occasions? Without them the small number and markings will be little more than a blur.

Since ESQ calls no attention to these capabilities, but does stress the watches' style let me also say a bit about that. Simply put this is a beautiful watch. The finish is gorgeous - a tasteful mix of brushed stainless steel with a few touches of polished metal. The aviator motive is used throughout the watch. The left hand chronometer dial being the nicest touch in this regard: It accurately mimics a classic aeronautical instrument. Wonderful!

The hand are bold - with large glow-in-the-dark areas as are/do the numerals themselves.

The chronograph capability allows for accurate elapsed time as well as individual lap times and/or multiple contestant times. Very nice.

So, put it all together and this watch is IMO a keeper. If you like the style don't hesitate at all. :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this watch a little over 6 months ago. I was very fortunate and bought it through a retailer using a 50% off coupon - so managed to pick it up for $275. I previously owned a Maverick II from Swiss Army and while that watch had the right aesthetic idea, I found it's build quality lacking. This ESQ is to the Swiss Army what Arnold was to DeVito in Twins...(1980's movie?) Anyway, point is it's robust. It wears like a tank, though you get accustomed to it, and gives you the confidence that you're wearing a time piece that will last.

I needed a watch I could wear regardless of how formal I was dressed. As a wedding photographer I frequently dress "up" for events and I wanted a watch that I could wear either while photographing nature, or at a formal event. It's one of the most attractive "tough" watches I've seen.

This watch features a sliding rule ability which I'm only now learning to use... but it could come in handy for those who remember how to use this feature. The hands are bright at night, the numbers big and easy to read.

My only complaint is that occasionally I'll stop the watch when I get dressed... Not sure how I do that... but it does happen occasionally.

After looking for several months at time pieces for men that were in the $300-$800 price range, I felt this was the watch for me... and when I got the deal I did, It won me over. It's worth the $550 retail - It's DEFINITELY worth the $275 sale price.

Even my friends who have Rolex Submariners have complimented the watch.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2010
If there is one thing I love its a big watch, especially if it has that strong military feel to it. I also own a Swiss Army Startech 3000 and a Casio Monster Diving Watch. Both have black faces and bold styling. This watch has earned its place on my wrist and the other two are retired to the dresser. When I first saw this watch surrounded by the many other high-end Movado watches at a local jewelry store it immediately drew my attention. The watch sparkles from a distance and even catches light better when you wear it. That is something that most military watches don't do but there is an element of sophisticated ruggedness to this watch. Wearing it feels like you have a very expensive aeronautical flight instrument strapped to your wrist. Even from a distance its attractive and easy to read. Like the previous reviewers I too was able to get mine for a remarkable deal at 50% off the original price. It was a bargain that I wasn't about to pass up. This watch is all masculine in every way. There is just no way any picture can do it justice. I suggest if anyone is interested that they actually visit a local jewelry store or fine watch store and actually hold on in your hand and feel the weight and view it up close. Only then will you be able to appreciate its quality and build.

Mine came with the brown leather band. I inquired about purchasing the actual ESQ metal band on its own but it sells between $100-$150 so if you get a deal at 50% off opt for the metal band, it will be worth every penny. Unfortunately I didn't have that option as it was the last one in the store and I wasn't about to let it slip between my fingers as several other stores in the mall were still selling them at the regular price of $550. The bezel moves around the dial very smoothly without the click, click, click of most other watches that have rotating bezels. Its polished metal edges are a very nice contrast to the brushed metal casing as are the diamond cuts on the side of the casing.

If anyone has information on using the dials and instruments as the previous reviewers have eluded to I would appreciate someone posting them (or a link) so that I can use this timepiece to its fullest potential. The only reason I didn't give this 5 out of 5 is that the watch isn't an automatic like my Casio Monster. Perhaps ESQ will give that some thought in the next version of this watch.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2011
I love this watch. I was looking at Tags and Omegas but just couldn't justify paying a hefty price right now. I think this is a very good compromise with comparable styling, robust feel, size and function. Like the previous posts this is a very large watch but bigger is better right now. The airplane motif and the attention to detail is amazing. I bought this from an online store and shipped to Canada with taxes and shipping for $350 CAD. I really don't think I could have found a better watch that is this nice to look at for that price point. I have even learned how some of the math functions work. For those that are wondering this watch is very similar to the Breitling Navtimer in functions and here is a link to some instructions online [...]

I can see keeping this watch for a very long time and will have a tough time finding something better to get in this price point. If you are reading this review chances are that this watch has caught your eye, think about how much better it would look on your wrist! If you are out with your lady then you'll have two arm charms, her on one side and this watch on the other. You will have no regrets, glad that you got this watch before one of your buddies did and you'll be laughing all the way to the bank because you paid 10% of what a Tag or Omega would have cost you! I wish I found this watch sooner :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Let me start by saying that I am in no way a watch connoisseur. In fact, this is the most I have ever paid for a wristwatch as I have not really ever worn a watch (I talked the store down to $325 from the $550). It's sleek with the stainless steel and, as other reviewers have attested, it really catches the light the way a high-end piece would. In fact, the watch looks more expensive than it really is. The style coupled with the Movado name is what drew me to the watch and I do not regret purchasing it. You won't either.

If you can find a shop that will bargain with you I recommend that. However, if you are keen on purchasing the watch as I was, $550 is still a pretty good price, IMO.
on August 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
A very attractive watch. I like wearing it, looks more expensive than it is and, have received several compliments. I like it so much that I am willing to live with the problems. First, the case back is Very rough and can be irritating. Second, The clasp is very difficult to open. I must use a coin to open the clasp to remove from my wrist. I have cheaper watches without these issues. I collect watches, and have over 20 in all price points but, i'm Very disappointed with ESQ Movado brand. I would not recommend.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations