5.0 out of 5 stars Good card for the price.
Published on April 23, 2011 by Kuehnau

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but noisy
This is a perfectly adequate entry level video card for standard, routine computing needs. Supports 1900x1200 resolution with a very satisfactory image. Easy installation into a PCIe slot with no extra power cords to attach as would be required by the higher end, more powerful cards.

The main objection I have to this card is the consistent intrusive whiny...
Published 23 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Good card for the price., April 23, 2011
This review is from: EVGA 512-P3-1300-LR GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card (Personal Computers)
Let's face it, if you are looking at this video card, if you are reading this review, then you know something about computers. Chances are you already know this isn't a high end gaming video card, but for the cost and features of the card, it's a decent purchase. Will you be able to run Crisis; No. But I have been running The Sims 3, World of Warcraft, Doom 4, Fallout 3 and more just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value. Outstanding tech support to call if you have installation problems, August 22, 2011
John Hane (Bethesda, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Nice card. Noticeably improves video performance and the price is right. Pros: HDMI, DMI and VGA ports, great phone tech support (24x7 free!). Cons: no documentation in the box and no dedicated audio out at all (not even an analog audio out). Not much product-specific info on the website.

I wanted to use this card for video only, and continue using my existing audio setup. But when I installed this the sound on my HP a1640n stopped working. I tried every fix I could think of -- re-installing drivers, disabling them, etc. I thought the geForce card' software had overwritten or corrupted my motherboard's audio drivers. After reading many online posts I decided I had to re-install windows and start all over. I spent a weekend backing up files and re-installing. It still didn't work. Eventually I went back to the EVGA site and found a tech support number (blame myself for not doing this *much* earlier).

EVGA has 24/7 free tech support! After registering the card on the website (required) my call was answered immediately at 10 pm on Sunday night by a knowledgeable person who wasn't just reading a script. (I think I talked to Doug? Best tech support call I've had in years). Problem solved in about 90 seconds (I had to re-boot, go into the BIOS, and set the on-board audio to "on" (options are off, auto and on).

Had I found the tech support number earlier I would have saved myself a lot of grief.

Bottom line, if you aren't reasonably comfortable mucking around with PC/Windows settings and/or prepared to take a risk, don't try to upgrade a PC with on-board graphics and audio (most mainline consumer PCs fall into this category). If you are reasonably comfortable, go for it -- but call the company's tech support line if you have any problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Upgrade, March 19, 2011
This card i bought to upgrade my hp from the integrated geforce 6150se. When i got it and installed it i did notice a change in gaming it got better then before and its a very good product for people on a budget or people who want a starter upgrade. I can watch hd videos and ncaa games on line with no lag or jumping its a great thing. If you have a budget or want to start with a card this would be your starter card.

Update 3/1/12: I sold this card and upgraded to the GTX 550ti but this card was amazing when I had it. It upgraded my HP PC from not being able to play Portal 2 to actually be able to play it finally!. ***VERY IMPORTANT: For people who own or have bought this card, be sure to update the card with the latest drivers as this will take many problems away that you are experiencing.*** Product rating still: A

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible low-end card for your budget, August 13, 2011
I purchased this product as an upgrade from a GeForce 6100 nForce 405 integrated solution for an older system. There were two things I had in mind with this upgrade: 1080p HD video acceleration (which my board could not handle) and playing MMOs. I'm happy to say that HD video plays beautifully with GPU acceleration, though be advised some popular video programs like VLC media player will require you to check an option for GPU acceleration.

As for gaming, I am thoroughly impressed with the improvement. To say that it's a big leap from an integrated solution is a bit obvious, but considering the price of the card the leap is fairly overwhelming. Not only can this card handle popular MMOs like City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and Final Fantasy XI smoothly at recommended or higher settings, but it's capable of playing Fallout 3, Oblivion, The Sims 3 and several other PS3-era games as well (and even at the lowest settings, these games look fantastic). Granted, I'm not a stickler for particle effects or realistic shadows, the important thing for me is that a game runs smoothly, has a decent draw distance and discernible textures, and to that end this card will more than suffice.

Those who say this card "isn't for gaming" are assuming you're looking for a card capable of running games like Crysis or Final Fantasy XIV, but you wouldn't expect to be able to do that for $35. Overclocking won't get you far with this card, as the hardware architecture doesn't allow for much more graphical detail than the GPU produces at stock speeds. The most inexpensive GPU Nvidia recommends for middle-end gaming is the EVGA nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1 GB 2DVI PCI-Express Video Card, 01G-P3-N959-TR, which is twice the cost of this card and still won't run a lot of recent releases (FFXIV requires at least the 9600 GT). If gaming is your thing, you'll probably upgrade eventually, so consider the long-term costs when debating this purchase.

For fun, I tried out the Street Fighter IV benchmark and got an average FPS of 17 with this card and a single-core AMD 3800 2.4Ghz processor. I'll have to try it again once I've installed a dual-core processor, but I still find it fairly impressive for such an inexpensive card to pull off.

I have a fairly noisy PSU, so I can't really comment on the fan except to say that it's quieter than the PSU or the HDDs at full load. Installation was painless and drivers are included on the disc (though you'll want to download the latest directly from nVidia).

I would recommend this card to casual gamers interested in MMOs, puzzle or adventure games, mid-core gamers looking primarily to play older games, or anyone interested in an HD video solution if their board isn't able to handle 1080p. It is an exceptional deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Deal @ $30, October 16, 2011
eVGA's nVidia-based 8400GS is a very good value. The 8400GS is based on a G98 core so it supports hardware decoding of high definition video streams. Personally, I tested decoding with both VLC and MPlayer with VDPAU support and both players performed well. Watching HD video with the hardware decoding of the 8400GS is a joy.

The current draw of the 512MB 8400GS is minimal even under full load (3D), i.e. ~ 2.5A @ 12V. nVidia's recommendation of 18A total on the 12V line contains a large safety margin. One could likely run this PCIe card with as little as 12A total on the 12V line without much problem. A 200W-250W power supply should be more than enough power to run this card without any adverse effect. Only when using SLI or Crossfire cards does one need to be aware of the current draw in most desktop systems. The eVGA 8400GS replaced a VisionTek ATI/AMD-based Radeon HD2600Pro which ran for years in my system with a 250W power supply (14A on the 12V line) without any adverse effect. Furthermore, the VisionTek drew ~ 1 ampere MORE power than eVGA's 512MB 8400GS. YMMV depending on the quality of your power supply, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over installing this card in a computer with a 250W power supply. Check the maximum current draw on the 12V line.

I tested this card's OpenGL performance with some generic games like Speed Dreams *, Google Earth, and Flight Gear, and all of them ran adequately at 1024x768. In my definition of the term, "adequately", I mean at least an ~ 19 fps average with a low of about 9 fps. Any variance over 10 frames per second from AVERAGE likely indicates a CPU paging memory to disc which is a killer of performance. eVGA's 8400GS will struggle with some 3D applications when used on microprocessors at 2 GHz and below and with limited system RAM. If this card is used on slower microprocessors, simply decrease the AA or disable it altogether. On 2+ GHz microprocessors, the 8x (MSx4,CSx4) setting for anti-aliasing is a good compromise between quality and performance. Since I'm NOT a gamer, look elsewhere for more comprehensive advice on 3D performance.

Personally, I find the 8400GS a nice compromise between performance and cost. However, a user MUST have sufficient system RAM installed for the CPU to access or the operating system will use virtual memory with a concomitant HIT to performance. With modern operating systems newer than Microsoft's Windows XP or recent versions of GNU/Linux, a user MUST have a MINIMUM of 2 GB of installed RAM. With only 2 GB of RAM, a user MUST carefully ensure secondary USER processes other than the game itself don't consume much memory if maximum performance is expected from the 8400GS. Believe me, you'll see a large difference in performance from 3D games IF you have enough installed system RAM. I'm pleased to have purchased this card for use with the GNU/Linux operating system, a nice match.

Update: On a freshly rebooted computer, I tried rerunning Speed Dreams with the exact same parameters as shown in my picture in the gallery for this card. This time, the average and the low were 3+ FPS HIGHER so my computer with just 1.5 GB of system RAM wasn't enough. Based on my experience with the 8400GS, I increased the system RAM from 1.5 GB to 2.0 GB and upgraded my CPU from an Athlon X2 3600+ to an Athlon X2 4800+ (2.5 GHz). The changes are worth it! eVGA's 8400GS now runs as fast as possible. Bottom line: If you want eVGA's 8400GS to run as fast as possible on a computer, ensure you have 2+ GB system RAM and a 2+ GHz CPU or you'll suffer the consequences of poor performance with 3D applications. The 8400GS doesn't have any excess performance to simply throw away. If the 8400GS just isn't powerful enough for your usage, I'd suggest looking at one of nVidia's GT 220 based cards as well. The power draw of the GT 220 is only about 15 watts (~ 1 ampere) greater than the 8400GS and performs significantly faster. Personally, I have BOTH cards.

* Speed Dreams & TORCS run better full-screen while most games run better windowed. You'll just have to experiment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, November 21, 2011
Charles Peacock "CP" (Wyandotte, Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
I needed a card with HDMI output to interface with my home theater system. Based on great reviews I started with a Diamond AMD Radeon HD 5450 but after two weeks fussing with tech support, new drivers, etc. it just wouldn't support HMDI except at minimum VGA resolution (640x480 -- forget 1080p) or support two monitors at the same time at any resolution. Tech support finally said they thought I would need to reload Windows 7 to get it to work.

Plugged this in and it worked the first time - no fussing, no struggling with which driver might be compatible, it just worked - even the audio came up without a fuss.

Forget ATI/AMD Radeon - Nvidia just works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but noisy, January 5, 2013

The main objection I have to this card is the consistent intrusive whiny noise generated by the small fan on the card. Unlike many cards which are noisy at startup but slow once Windows is fully booted, and at relative idle except on demand, this fan runs at full-out speed all the time. I admit that I am sensitive to noise in computers, but for me this characteristic was a deal-killer, even with the desktop tower placed in a kneewell. I wound up exchanging it for an Asus fanless Radeon 5450 card with otherwise similar specifications and performance except that it was dead quiet, as would be expected. Even running it for hours, again with routine computer tasks, I felt no significant heat on the conductive heat sink, so that occasional reviews complaining that it overheats I deem to be totally unjustified and were probably either mean-spirited or related to unwarranted overtaxing with overclocking or extreme gaming, neither of which are within the purview or designed function of such an entry level card.

BOTTOM LINE: For those of you who don't care all that much about noise, or who are used to substantially noisier computers, I think you will find this card a bargain. For those of you with sensitive ears, go for the 5450, as described above, for approximately the same price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT support 3 monitors, November 17, 2012
PROS: Easy to install in an older HP (Athlon II) with Win 7 64-bit; worked just fine with 2 monitors.
CONS: The 8400GS will not support 3 monitors simultaneously: when you try to enable the 3rd, a popup will say, "This GPU does not support 3 monitors."

So I'm now checking out the ATI 5400-series of cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graphics card replacement, June 3, 2012
My original card failed. I replaced it with this one and have had no trouble. It was a snap to install and setup, and is easy to adjust. That's the product. Nvidia's web site was very little help in finding the proper replacement for my discontinued card, and the HP store from whence my computer came, was even less help. The HP site directed me to "resellers" sites, which were impenetrably corporate. We users in the rural bush of the USA would appreciate help from our vendors, so as not to have to spend costly hours on the phone with tech support, or drag the machine to a shop miles away with a backlog into the next millennium. Sucked it up, went to Amazon, found a close match in model number and shape, ordered it at a great price, it came quickly, I snapped it in, loaded the drivers, and was up and going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent video card, November 15, 2011
Manuel Rivas (Merritt Island, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this card for my Ubuntu box, since I was having problems with the integrated Radeon xpress that came with the computer. the card arrived really fast and it was a simple plug and play, out-of-the-box installation. the problems I had with the ATI card disappeared and this new card renders all the Fusion Compiz animation stuff very well. I recommend this card, good value for the price. I am not a gamer, so I don't know how it performs with games and such.