Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on October 15, 2012
It's 9.5 inches inches long, but it seems to sometimes give a 7950 a run for its money, which costs about $100 more for the good ones, and whose reference card clocks in at 11.5 inches. Battlefield 3 runs butter-smooth at 1080p, even with maxed settings. ENB shader mods and texture packs in Skyrim don't slow it down (though a high amount of mod-enhanced foliage will cause even this card to strain at times). Metro 2033 runs fine at high settings.

It takes pretty much everything I can throw at it -- and it does it pretty much silently. The full "shroud" over the card ensures some noise absorption *and* reduced ambient heat inside the case. When you add adaptive Vsync, PhysX and CUDA into the mix, there's a lot to like. You can also force FXAA in the control panel when you encounter a game that won't accept your usual anti-aliasing settings and/or does not have any of its own.

It has a 192-bit memory bus, which is unusually small. But this doesn't seem to make much difference at 1080p. It's not very overclockable, but when I can get nearly 7950 performance out-of-the-box at $230, and it needs just one PCIe cable (mounted on the side for better case ergonomics), I can't really complain.

The Gallium 0.4 drivers in Fedora 17 and Linux Mint produce a slightly fuzzy image, though. I had to install Nvidia's proprietary drivers -- not the easiest process -- to get a crisp image. Not big enough of a deal to take a star off, IMO.

**Update Jan 27 2013:** Everything's still working fine. I have updated the drivers several times without glitches. The card continues to run quietly and powerfully. Installing proprietary drivers in Linux is still pretty much necessary to get proper image fidelity (or even full desktop resolution, in most cases), but the process is noticeably easier just a few months after writing my original review. The Mageia 3 beta is the only Linux distro I've found that will not at least give me a command prompt, if it fails to load the desktop environment. On the Windows side, the recently released "GeForce Experience" software should make performance optimization much easier for people who are new to PC gaming, or if they have busy lives and not enough time to keep up on all the gearhead stuff. That piece of software does an all-or-nothing toggle, though, so it's not ideal.

I have yet to encounter any game that struggles at 1080p, but I figure it's better to have the performance and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

**Update Feb 2014:** I no longer use this card, but the GTX 660 is generally still a very good choice for 1080p. AMD's cards are not competitively priced now, thanks to the crypto-coin mining thing, so I've edited this review to reflect that market shift. Shadow Play (built into their "GeForce Experience" software) is becoming one of the nicest screen recording packages out there, and it's free. The GTX 650 Ti Boost is also pretty good, as long as you go with the 2GB version. 1GB is okay, but I think you'll benefit from the extra gigabyte of video RAM when a game uses high-resolution textures.
88 comments110 of 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2012
This card is amazing. It plays any game I throw at it on the highest settings. I bought a $400 Gateway at the local store, tossed this and a new power supply in and now it's a dream machine. The games I've been able to play on max settings at 1920x1080 include:

Crysis: 55fps
Crysis 2: 70fps
WoW: 100fps+
Skyrim: 60fps
Dishonored: 90fps
Minecraft: 300fps+

If you buy this card and you're currently using integrated graphics, you will not regret it. It runs idle at around 33C, and in intense games it runs around 70C. The customer support is fantastic, and it comes with a 3 year warranty. You can't go wrong with this card!

PC Specs to show how low end my other parts are:
Intel i3 2120 Dual core @ 3.3GHz
8gb ram stock
Corsair 650W PSU
Acer stock motherboard
1010 comments71 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2013
I have a computer I built which has a 2600k I7 over clocked processor, 16g of RAM, SSD pcie drives, and a z68 mother board. I did not get a graphics card because I don't do gameing. When I started to do more serious design I realized that the integrated graphics processor in the i7 could not handle it even though its awesome for other stuff like encoding.. So instead of spending $400 on some other cards I got this and it works great. Now I can do everything I want to with my computer and its does it fast.

Install was easy no issues there.

The only issue I had was with the realtek onboard audio. It stopped working. I gave up trying to fix it and just decided to extract audio from the HDMI output of this card. So now my audio goes through this graphics card instead of a dedicated audio card. It works for me. Annoying yes but no one company really knows how to fix it since its a conflict and not and issue with any one component.

*******EDIT************

5/11/13

About 30 min ago I was using the computer with photoshop. I left it and came back 20 min later and the display was not on. I dont know what the heck happened. It just died. So I had to switch back to my onboard graphics to see anything or do anything on the computer. Now I have to wait until MOnday to contact support. Ill update when I find the result.

5/16/13

I contacted support on Monday because they are closed on weekends. They told me to switch HDMI cables and it worked. If it didnt work they would RMA it. I have no idea why it worked for 2 weekes and then suddenly stoped for no reason but it did. Now its working normally.
99 comments29 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2012
Bought this card for my budget build PC. I have to say its well worth every penny! My original plan was to get a GTX 560 Ti. But I decided to wait on the 660 non-Ti as it has almost same price and performs better than the 560 ti. It was worth the wait! I can play many of my favorite games like Batman Arkham City, and Team Fortress 2 in High-Ultra settings with ease. The FPS in TF2 is insane! I get around 150-250 max FPS! This card is quite and performs flawlessly! I highly recommend it! I plan to buy a 2nd one for SLI in the future!

My build:
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
WD Caviar Blue 640GB HD
Corsair TX650 PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium
44 comments23 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2014
I don't regret buying this card. It is very well made, runs great, and is pretty quiet. It also works almost flawlessly in a Mac (with boot camp and Windows 7), however the screen will be black until login. I would recommend this to someone who wants a graphics card that is powerful enough to run any modern game well, and is still practical. It is also very easy to install in a Mac Pro.
on November 7, 2013
Very good cards for the money. I run two of these cards in SLI mode on two super IPS 27" screens (2560 x 1440) with DVI cables. I am happy with the frame rates I get in the games I play, and enjoy the heat they produce in the winter time.
22 comments8 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2014
As said in the title, I switched from an integrated card with 512 mb to this card that is 2 gigs. When I ordered it, I thought, "Hm, I know this card will do better, but how much?" I got this card and I was stunned. I ran games that I couldn't play before on high-ultra settings! I got 60 FPS on GTA IV with it pretty much maxed! Keep in mind, I bought this PC about 2 years ago. It was a pre-built one, so you can imagine how bad my CPU is.

Now, you might be asking, why 4 stars? I only do this because of the temperature and size. My case isn't well-ventilated, I admit, so I didn't knock it off for that. (I hit 99 playing a game on all settings maxed once) I knocked it off for the size. It is pretty big. It took me about an hour to install in my small case. I had to shift cables, move parts, it was a mess. But the end result was WELL worth it.
NOTE: This card only has DVI-I and DVI-D ports, so VGA monitors are not welcome. I had to purchase an adapter so my monitor worked with the card.

Back to the goods. This card recommends you have 450+ watts for you to use it. I purchased a PSU to fit that, but it truly wasn't necessary. This card, for how great it runs games, doesn't use much power at all. The most watts this card has used was probably 60. If you are thinking about buying a card that is good but not expensive, please, do yourself a favor and get this. Cards that are pricier don't even COMPARE to this card. Enjoy your purchase!
on November 14, 2012
As an MMO player, my GeForce 310 was just not cutting the mustard for me anymore (10-15 FPS on Guild Wars 2). I did the research, decided on the GTX 660 as the best combination of power and value for me, and ordered it. Also ordered a new power supply, as the minimum for this card is 450W. Got them, put them in. As an only moderately tech-savvy type, it took me about 30 minutes to replace both pieces. Not a big job. Put it all back together, and it worked! Now, getting 50-70 FPS rate on Guild Wars 2 with everything else the same, and can run on the higher graphics level instead of the most basic graphics level. Huge difference, well worth the money, and easy to put in. Comes with a couple of cool but probably unnecessary utilities too, if you are the type who likes to know the GPU temperature and GPU fan speed all the time.
22 comments32 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2014
This was part of a new computer build, after my old HP burned out. So far it has allowed me to run all of my current games at their highest graphics quality. Only one complaint in regards to something that occurred with purchasing. After ordering it, my confirmation email also stated that it came with a free download of Assassin's Creed IV. Once I got everything, and assembled the computer, I tried to get the game with the code provided. It wouldn't work. After clicking on the terms & conditions link of the original email, I discovered that the offer expired just before I was able to assemble the computer. You'd think the code would be good for a few days more, so long as the graphics card purchase was made within the stated time of the offer.
on March 28, 2013
It's simple...this is my 2nd EVGA GTX 660 from Amazon...now I have them in SLI, working perfectly. I had found out that 2 GTX 660's out performed a GTX 680 and at lower cost. Check it out , it's true. I loved my 1st GTX 660 so I just had to go for the 2nd one for SLI. If you already have 1 GTX 660, save and go for the 2nd, you won't regret it. I'm running a 600 watt SLI approved PSU and it handles it just fine. Also running an Intel i5 2500k CPU OC'd to 4.6Ghz. Could go higher but don't need to. This combo makes for a pretty mean gaming rig at a reasonable price....Start with one GTX 660 and it won't be too long and you'll want another.
88 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse