5.0 out of 5 stars 16 By 9 Graphics Adaptor
My HP Pavilion computer,(2003 vintage), came with a 17 inch CRT monitor. The monitor is superb and I have always been happy with it, but with only 15 inches of usable screen, I felt it was time to upgrade to a new and roomier LCD screen. After much research, principally at C-NET, I chose a Dell S2409W.
This monitor has a wide-screen 1920x1080 resolution. The...
Published on May 15, 2009 by D. Barber

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but just OK
Published on September 12, 2009 by W from Chicago Metro

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 16 By 9 Graphics Adaptor, May 15, 2009
D. Barber (Tacoma.Wash.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EVGA nVidia e-GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB DDR2 PCI Card (512-P1-N724-LR) (Personal Computers)
This monitor has a wide-screen 1920x1080 resolution. The problem is that my computers integrated graphics chips would not support this resolution. I could get a useful and distortion free display using my computers 1280x768 resolution setting, but this meant giving up a fair amount of available fine detail. Also, I have the CyberLink DVD suite which came with my DVD drive. This software has only a limited control over color saturation and balance (i.e. tint).

It occurred to me that a new graphics card might solve both problems. I might be able to use more of my monitors potential and get better control of color for my DVD viewing. I went with the EVGA card after careful thought. One worry is that my research showed that this card requires 10 amperes at 12 volts and an overall requirement of 350 watts in the power-supply. My computers anemic 250 watt supply seemed inadequate. However, I reasoned that since I am not a "gamer" and only intended to use my monitor for DVD videos and web browsing, I could get by with my more modest power-supply.

I installed the card and found that with some tinkering I could get my monitor to show it's best overall result at a resolution of 1600x900. The EVGA card includes Nvidia software which is right-click accessible at all times. The Nvidia software does provide more control over color, tint, and other parameters, but there is no control over horizontal height. This slightly annoys me because my Dell monitor in DVI, or digital mode, insists on showing a faint blue line along the bottom border of the screen. I don't believe this is a flaw, but a design idiosyncrasy, and the problem was present with my on-board graphics as well. I plan to visit the Dell site for a possible fix.

It occurs to me that with so many new wide-screen monitors arriving on the scene, it must be a fairly common problem getting 16/10 graphics to display properly. It should be noted that both my monitor and this card permit the full 1900x1080 display but I discovered that the text while sharp, is tiny and difficult to read. I feel strongly that most users will agree with me that the 1600x900 compromise is best for this screen size. Also, despite the inclusion of an integral cooling fan, I have found that my card runs only slightly warm.
In conclusion, I would advise anyone with a 16:9 monitor in the 24 inch range to consider running the screen resolution at 1600x900 and be grateful for much less eye-strain. This card provides for that need.

A quick update. I have used this card with my new Dell S2409W monitor for nearly two weeks now. The card works perfectly and there doesn't appear to be any strain on my power-supply. As for the mysterious blue line, I can find nothing about it at Dell, though I have now concluded that it is likely backlight leakage or a glitch in Dells own firmware. I had thought it was caused by my Windows XP OS but I no longer believe so. The eVGA card is certainly not the cause, though. It's the Dell. A puzzle.

5.0 out of 5 stars CARD WORKS AS WELL AS I'D HOPED, December 12, 2009
Andrew Betterton (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
When I updated to Windows 7 there was a steep decline in the playback quality of videos on my computer. Since I have an older machine (HP Pavilion a614n) without PCI express, this card looked like the best I could get. Once I went through all of the trouble of installing the card and choosing it in bios, all the problems with video playback disappeared. As other reviewers have pointed out, the card is a little bulky and may not fit in some enclosures.
The fan seems quiet enough, and Windows 7 recognized the card and downloaded the drivers automatically, though I downloaded and ran the driver installer program myself as well. I'm happy with the card, but I think next time I'll buy a new computer rather than spending the money to upgrade one that's already a few years old.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gr8 graphics card but no 3D capability, July 8, 2009
I have the antiquated PCI system and was hoping to find a graphics card with 3D capability; though this card is a MUCH improvement over my stock card, it does not have 3D. I am able to play more of my games though.

Card is easy to install; that is if you know how to get inside your tower. Card comes with software, (EVGA installation CD), DVI to VGA adapter and HDTV cable.

listed below is some more info about this card.

Over all, I would recommend this card.

D, DVI/VGA adapter, HDTV cable.
Operating Systems Supported - Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but just OK, September 12, 2009
I needed a new card for dual monitor use on my desktop. I am a business user. My old video card fried and I ordered this one because I could get it next day. The installation on my vista64 desktop was easy. Everything works. Nvidia control panel makes setup easy. My only complaint is that my windows now refresh with animation that I can not shut off. It slows things down a bit, but nothing major. I just wish I could shut if off. No help from documentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product and great support!, May 19, 2010
I had absolutely no clue about replacing any hardware, but my Dell Dimension 3000 needed an upgrade for games like the Sims. I read other reviews and did searches online about upgrading until I felt comfortable enough to make my purchase. The only problem that I ran into was that my task bar had disappeared completely. I thought that I had disabled the original built-in graphics card, but apparently I had not. After doing more searches on how to fix it and another 20 seconds tacked on, I had spent about an hour with a major cleaning included (thanks to Dell for the superbly poor case design, the dust was trapped in the front). I used small paint brushes to clean it, fixed the task bar problem, and have had a great experience. A very old game, Virtual Families, has tiny, irritating lines in it now, but it's not enough to have my kids stop playing the game. I registered on EVGA's site, called tech support and got a real person ASAP, figured out it's just a problem with that one game, did a print screen/save file/upload file to my EVGA account for a receipt of purchase in case of future issues needing a receipt, and finished feeling very confident in my purchase.
My computer stays on at all times, and I have had zero problems with the new graphics card. The price was fantastic, but I also used gift cards purchased with points from a survey site making it a superbly cheap buy.
Make sure you don't lose the screw from taking off one of the plates as it only included an unusably scratched CD (I just used EVGA's site for updates) and the graphics card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for legacy PCs, December 25, 2009
I have an old Compaq Presario that was a budget PC to begin with in 2003(specs at the bottom of review). I was planning to use it with an HDTV for watching DVDs. But since the integrated graphics on the old PC only go up to 1024 x 728, I needed to upgrade. However, this computer does not have AGP, and PCIe is completely out of the question, with this system's age.

So I sprung for this card. For a PCI card, especially on such an old computer, it works remarkably well. Not only did it give my old computer the ability run the TV at its native resolution, it actually gave the computer a breath of new life in terms of usefulness. Before, the PC could barely play SimCity 4 at 15 fps on the lowest settings. Now, it can play it on full settings at 60 fps. I can even manage the PC to play some Counterstrike and Half Life 2. However the FPS is fairly low on both games, I think that has more to do with the PC being so old, rather than the card itself. Photoshop actually runs very well if you enable GPU acceleration. Video play smoothly without stuttering too. Its definitely no gaming card, but if you have an old PC with integrated graphics and no option for AGP, this card may be able to squeeze a few more years of life into that PC.

System specs:
Windows XP Professional
1.4 Ghz intel Celeron (Single Core)
512 MB SDRAM
80 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound / Video card, December 13, 2009
I am one of those that is a little affraid to open up a computer and touch anything...I think I will do dammage to something in there. Well I ordered this product and the DVD that came with it took me step by step with not a single problem. It only took me 6 minutes and the job of done. I think it took me longer to boot up the computer 2 times for this procedure than to install this product. I now can run NetFlix and my Computer to a few of my big screen TVs without having everyone come into my computer room....When it comes to my purchases it is Amazon....I am 63 and have just started using Amazon in the last 4 months and have now purchased over a dozen items....I calculated I have saved way over $800 and have spent only slightly over $200. You calculate the savings..This product works GREAT...and you know what..It is the SAME product I could have bought in town for $25 MORE...and that includes the shipping....GREAT PRODUCT...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PCI mother board, January 3, 2010
I must say ,the 512 PCI video card works ,for anybody outthere looking to upgrade a ol pc with PCI slot ,this is the video card for you ,the system in wich i used the video card is a SR1211NX compaq presario .Graphis are 100% better ,my litte nephew can play games that requiered more video memory.I recommned this video card ,so far no problems with the video card .

4.0 out of 5 stars Attention Total War Players!, April 14, 2010
This graphic card is good if you want to play the TW series from Shogun-Medieval II. However if you are looking to play the newer games such as Empire total war or Napoleon skip this card and go a few steps further.

All and all thou, for the price you cant beat the deal!

4.0 out of 5 stars EVGA nVidia e-GeForce 8400, January 10, 2011
Seems like a good video card. It definitely is a step up from my old ATI Radeon 9200 card. This card helped me to push my cpu to its limits and seems to work pretty well. I would recommend this for anyone with an old pc like me! :-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›