5.0 out of 5 stars Easy install, works well

3.0 out of 5 stars works, but is fragile and noisy
Published on June 11, 2011 by M. Francis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars works, but is fragile and noisy, June 11, 2011
This review is from: RAM EZ-ON/OFF(TM) Bicycle Mount for the Garmin Astro 320, GPSMAP 62, 62s, 62sc, 62st & 62stc (Electronics)
I have this mount on two of my mountain bikes; a hardtail and a freeride bike. The mount worked good for a few months, but the design allows for a small amount of movement in X and Y directions. This is achieved via a rubber base pushing against the plastic insert and allows for a small amount of give for shock absorption. The problem is that for me this small amount of movement finally allowed one of the four interlocking tabs to break - which caused a failure on another tab. This happened to both of my mounts, on both bikes. It took about 2 months for the failures to happen, but now they are both unusable until I replace the specific plastic part that failed. The failures did not happen due to any crashes or improper removal of the mount - it was simply stress from being vibrated. If you ride fast and like to jump, you may have the same problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy install, works well, July 2, 2011
Colts Fan (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
[18 month update]. After 2 summers of use in commuting back and forth to work, this GPS bracket has held up well. My initial skepticism wondered if the plastic bracket would hold up over time. I can report it has and I don't see why this wouldn't last me a very long time. I'm bumping this up from 4-stars to 5-stars. Would definitely recommend this device if you have a similar need. It's very helpful to have the GPS tracking my progress, speed and elevation changes.

[original post] The bracket was very easy to install and has held up well over the last month of commuting to the office, a 25 mile loop. The small piece of provided rubber placed between the bracket and handle bars significantly reduces slippage or movement of the unit, which is held on by two zip ties. The ability to remove the bracket from the handle bars while leaving the base in place is very nice. My GPS slips in and out of the bracket with ease, but is securely held in place once inserted into the bracket. I primarily ride on paved trails, but have gone off road onto improved trails. I've never had concern about my GPS falling out. Why the 4 rating? On a few occasions I have had to adjust the bracket due to small amounts of slippage over time, but this wouldn't stop me from recommending the unit to any and all bikers looking to leverage their GPS while riding. A good value for the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just adequate bike mount for Garmin GPSMap 62, March 19, 2011
T. Simmons (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Update 8-12: I've downgraded my rating to two stars. This one started at five stars, was reduced to four stars (see Update 11/11 below) and now that it's broken again (same as update below), I'm pretty unhappy with the mounting system. It still holds the GPS receiver very well, which is why I'm not going to one star, but the darn thing shouldn't be that delicate. I've posted a picture of the broken "finger" on the mounting system. I sure hope someone from RAM reads this and comes up with a better way to mount this thing!!

Update 11/11: I still like the mount however, when removing the mount from the bike, I broke off one of the little plastic "fingers" on the piece that goes into the bar mount. There are four of these fingers and they are quite small and as I've learned, pretty delicate if you don't treat them gently when installing or removing the mount. I was able to purchase a replacement (RAM part number RAP-274-1B3 from GPS City for $6.95) but I wish this part was better made. I've downgraded my rating to four stars.
Previous review:
-This is a two piece system, the part that mounts permanently on the bike and a "tray" that holds the GPSr.
-The part that mounts to the bike is fairly small (see the pictures I've posted on the main product page). It does mount with cable ties instead of some sort of clamp, but they also include a stick-on piece of rubber that first goes on the bar and the mount goes over that so when the cable ties are snugged up, it feels pretty secure.
-The tray by itself is fairly large and awkward looking. It attaches to the bike mount easily by inserting the pin on the backside and giving it a turn. It seems to be a decent way to attach it, hopefully the plastic parts hold up ok.
-When everything is together, it seems to be a very secure system and even raises the GPSr up a little to put it closer to the rider. I'm not sure how it would hold up in a crash, but all in all, it's a much better system of mounting the receiver than the stock Garmin mount.
-I ride bumpy roads frequently and don't have to worry about the GPSr falling off as I did with the Garmin mount.

4.0 out of 5 stars RAM Mounts are a Quality Product., April 11, 2014
This is not my first RAM mount and this too lived up to my expectations. Sturdy, well constructed and interchangeable with other RAM mounts. I had another RAM device mount that I was able to leave in place, remove a couple of screws and interchange with this one quickly. RAM mounts are a good product that I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, September 25, 2013
WLA127 (Springfield MO) - See all my reviews
So far I have purchased two of these, on for my dirt motorcycle and one for my mountain bike. This holds the 62stc fine regardless of the bumps and jars. The only problem I have is I have trouble after a while with it turning on the handle bars, just can't seem to get the Cable ties tight enough to hold. Any good Suggestions? :)

5.0 out of 5 stars RAM Mount for Garmin GPSMAP 62 series, October 31, 2012
C. BRAZIL (San Jose, California United States) - See all my reviews
I love this RAM Mount. Fits my Garmin GPSMAP 62s perfectly. I have it mounted on my handle bars. I bike over dirt and gravel paths, and smooth paved paths. The RAM until never moves or vibrates. It's great. I use my Garmin for Geocaching excluvively. It is serving me well, so far. When I remove the GPS from it's cradle, I do it carefully. After all, the RAM is plastic.

Pros: It's great! I can angle it perfectly!
Cons: None so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but fragile., June 10, 2012
I took this mount on a 500 mile road biking trip. I liked the angle of the mount and the height. It attached very securely to the handle bars and made operation of the GPS easy even while while riding.

The problem seems to be with the 4 locking "pins" that hold the GPS cradle to the handlebar mount. These pins are very weak. One would break off every couple of days. The GPS seemed stable after one or two of them were missing (on smooth road)- though this might depend on which ones are broken. By the end of the week, I had to resort to wrapping duct tape around the mount and handlebars to keep the GPS from popping off.

Another reviewer posted a link to a replacement part (Thanks!) so I guess this is a common occurrence.

I'm going to buy some replacements, and also try the Garmin mount since it is only a few dollars more than the replacement part...

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin RAM Mount, March 18, 2012
I do a lot of riding on my bike on the neighborhood streets and paved surfaces and already have the Garmin GPS but no way to attach it to the handle bar. Most mounts cause vitrations that could damage the delicate internal electronics. So far the mount translates very little vibration to the Garmin unit. Good product for my purpose. Do not recommend it for off road mountain trail poundings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on my Mountain Bike, January 8, 2012
I already had one of these mounts for my truck which I use with a RAM arm/ball mount and wanted to be able to use my 62cs with my mountain bike. I previously used a 60csx with a different mount that wasn't compatible with my 62cs. Due to the limited amount of space on my handlebars this mount worked perfect on my stem. Solid mount that's easy to clip on and off. Would recommend this to anyone with a mountain bike or other need to mount to a round bar.

Update Jan 2013
Been using the mount for over a year now with no problems. My bike (and myself) get pretty beat up on some of the trails I ride and I've found no problems with this mount. For those in other reviews that may have said it was noisy and so forth I would recommend a piece of old tire tube. Personally I don't want anything scratching the paint on my frame so almost anything I mount has a piece of old tire tube underneath. No sure how others have broken the "teeth" on the mount either as I've had mine take a pretty good beating and still come back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent mount for a nice price!, June 26, 2014
Gary Lassila (calumet, MI, US) - See all my reviews
I am very satisfied with the Ram EZ On/Off Mount. I bought it for 4 wheeling and it works so much better than holding my Garmin in my hand or hanging it around my neck.
The GPS fits very snugly and I am not worried about it falling out, but I do wrap the lanyard around the handlebar a few times just in case. The plastic seems to be very sturdy.
After shopping around and seeing other mounts at twice the price I am glad I bought this item.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›