5.0 out of 5 stars Eagle Creek Switchback - The Little Pack that Could
Published on January 11, 2012 by jandor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good design, needs improvements
Published on August 28, 2011 by Maunalua

3.0 out of 5 stars Good design, needs improvements, August 28, 2011
The Eagle Creek Switchback is a good design that could be refined to make it even better. The interior space is compromised by how much the handle frame system takes up. The quick release buckles are not as easy to engage as other quick release buckles, a compromise made using lighter, flimsier buckles. The main bag's security is compromised by zippers that line up in the outside pocket that can directly access the interior and bypass the lockable main zipper. The small attachable backpack's outside pocket could be improved if the little pocket that includes the eyeglass pocket was not so flimsy. Overall, this travel pack is a good design, a little on the small size, though with some improvement could make it even better and easier to use. The jury is still out on the durability of the zippers that do not have any fabric to protect them as was designed in the previous model.

1.0 out of 5 stars MAJOR WARRANTY issues, February 3, 2012
Michele (HAYWARD, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
Would give 0 stars if I could. Bought 2 switchbacks about 11 years ago with a lifetime warranty (this was a selling point for buying high end luggage that costs much more). Now that the plastic coating inside the both bags are failing (sticky, nasty), they will not fix them and are telling us their 'lifetime' warranty is for the 'lifetime' of the bag, which they consider to be about 5 years. I hope their 'no matter what' warranty on their current bags is better than their 'lifetime' warranty on their other products. BUYER BEWARE. A few years ago one of the small back packs had the same problem and they repaired it no questions asked. Now they did offer us new bags at 50% retail cost, but other than the liner, there's nothing wrong with these bags and we don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on new bags that they may not repair down the road when they start to have problems. Maybe call their warranty department before you buy, give them our scenario and see what they say. THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS ANYMORE!

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle Bar Compromises Interior Space, January 23, 2012
I returned this backpack because the handle bar placement seriously reduces the amount of interior space available. I had an REI 22 inch stratocruiser rolling backpack that did not compromise this much space, so I consider it a design flaw, not an inherent feature of a rolling backpack. It's a sturdy and comfortable backpack to wear if you are not concerned about interior space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagle Creek Switchback - The Little Pack that Could, January 11, 2012
I have used Eagle Creek luggage for years and love it's durability and design. It was easy for me to consider Eagle Creek again when I needed a versatile bag for my travels abroad to under developed countries. I also wanted a legal size carry-on (22") that could be taken on the plane, rolled through airports and hotels, yet could also be worn as a backpack for roads less traveled. In comparison to other luggage backpacks, Eagle Creek by far has the most comfortable shoulder straps and waist belt system, not cheap thin straps that I've seen on other back pack type luggage. When the straps are not is use, they can easily be stowed away in their own zipped compartment. You can clip and/or zip on or off the outer day pack, which also has it's own generous straps, for a lighter day pack option. The buckles and zip pulls are durable as well as the zippers. The internal eye glass pocket on the inside is felt lined with a velcro closure, not flimsy IMO. You may want to consider an extra lock for the inside zipper when the day pack feature is not attached, which it usually covers the main compartment zipper. Overall, I give this bag a strong rating for it's solid design and versatility. Even though the price is not cheap, neither is the luggage. A worthy investment.

1.0 out of 5 stars This fell apart within a year, June 3, 2013
We used to LOVE Eagle Creek products. They really stood by their products, and fixed anything that was broken. Somehow their "lifetime" warranty is no longer "lifetime." It's only however long Eagle Creek feels that their product should last. So we had a 4 year old Eagle Creek bag which no longer was covered. They offered us a discount on any Eagle Creek products purchased in a single buy. We purchased 2 Switchbacks. Within a year, both of them fell apart. The zippers no longer worked. My original Eagle Creek switchback (now 10 years old) is still going strong. The newer ones are not worth the money. Buy something else instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Model Change, February 27, 2012
I am a fan of the switchback series. Usually they make changes every few years so there are a lot of slightly different models out. The product description of this listing is for the previous model 20217 with 4515 ci capacity. The model number listed, 20296,(Picture on top of listing) only has 3960 ci.

I agree with another poster, the guarantee system is flawed. A mouse nibbled on one of my zippers and the representative I talked to indicated it would not be covered under the current policy. "If your bag is damaged - even by the airlines - Eagle Creek will fix it. No questions asked."

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS the PERFECT Travel Bag, November 8, 2012
carlene b. damon (KANEOHE, HAWAII United States) - See all my reviews
My Family is INCREDIBLY abusive to luggage, worse than the Samsonite & Gorilla test. We travel A LOT to places that would kill lesser bags from camelback to boat, to subway to camping. We overstuff to levels no zipper should be able hold at all, let alone for years. We skid our bags in airport pony games with kids on them, drag them over everything from gravel to cobblestone through water, snow and sand, have had them through all of the kids stages of life, regularly strap on 50 lbs of weight on the outside or leaning on the handle bars, put many more pounds then should be allowed in the daypack portion putting serious stress on the attachment zippers, jammed them into places they don't fit... you get the picture.
There isn't another bag that has provided the versatility or endurance this bag has. We have five of them and wouldn't consider traveling with out them. The bags, zippers, handles, straps/buckles have lasted and held up. At every life stage these bags have had just the right pockets, or straps etc to hold everything and break nothing, even the computer in the protected padded computer pocket. This bag always fits in the overheads, the bags goes through the scanners without having to be detached, it has all the right little pockets and straps just where you need them. If we do eventually kill them, we will probably bury them in the family plot.
We finally after 8 years killed a set of wheels on the first one we bought (the others have arrived at various intervals as other luggage has died) while distantly abroad. Eagle Creek service was immediately responsive and is getting us back rolling within days. Outstanding service.

The only thing I would change or add to this bag if they were to renovate it is a stowed stretchy mesh panel on the outside of the daypack to hold wet items/or water bottles that I don't want to hang on it with straps or put inside. Also two different lengths for the handle (kid height and Dad height)

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Carry on, May 12, 2012
My husband and I recently each bought the Eagle Creek Switchback Max 22 Travel Pack for our 10 day trip to Hawaii. We were flying standby and we knew we didn't want to check bags. We loved these bags. We were able to get everything we needed (shoes are important) in these bags. We even brought snorkel equipment back. We loved the removable day packs and used them everyday of the trip. These bags are sturdy, and travel well in airports. The day pack is easy to put on and take off of the main bag. We loved the handle for pulling. A really good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite carry-on baggage, February 24, 2012
This is one of the best product I ever buy. I love to travel, each of my trip normally lasted about 10 days. And This works perfectly well for me without checking in luggage.

Normally I would also bring a "Eagle Creek Packable Duffel Bag" with me.....so that I will have extra room for souvenirs on my returning flight.

The build quality is extremely good, love the compartments on the backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Travel Companion, January 13, 2012
Love this piece of luggage, it is very versatile when accompanied by the day pack. It travels nicely as a carry on. It easily fits enough clothes for a ten day trip. The day pack has enough space to carry books for a conference, and it easily carries a 15 inch computer with lots of smaller pockets for sunglasses, camera and chargers. This build quality is excellent.