5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome alternative to a money belt
Published on February 21, 2012 by JJG

2.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Pocket - defective product received
I've used the Eagle Creek Hidden pocket for 10+ years to travel internationally. I find it superior in accessibility and relative seclusion.

Published on June 5, 2012 by Sean

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome alternative to a money belt, February 21, 2012
I'll be honest, I just didn't want to wear a money belt during my travels to europe. I think they're stupid, albeit practical. This is a perfect alternative. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there are two loops for hanging from your belt, one is black and other is brown (for different belt colors). For extra security, I always use both loops, since my shirt covers my belt anyway. The pocket hangs inside my pants along my hip. You can also position it to hang in front of one of your thighs, but I find this less comfortable. I use it to carry my passport, medical vaccination records, emergency cash (or excess cash, if you've just visited the ATM and don't want to have a lot of money in your standard wallet), and emergency credit cards. Basically, I only use my regular wallet for spending cash, my ATM card, and one credit card. If my wallet gets stolen I will still have identification, some cash, and at least one credit card.

So anyway, buy this if you don't like the idea of the money belt. I'm a fan of this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Pocket - defective product received, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Eagle Creek Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket (Misc.)

I purchased a new hidden pocket a few weeks ago to bring to India. After only about 4 days of use, I was traveling to the train station where I was about to take a 36 hour trip. I randomly went to check something in my passport (stored in my hidden pocket), when I realized that the strap on my hidden pocket had broken cleanly off.

This kind of defect in workmanship is unacceptable to the serious traveler. I hope that Eagle Creek takes a serious look at their quality control with the product. I recommend all travelers who use this product to test their hidden pocket, prior to and during it's use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great solution to a narrow range of problems, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Eagle Creek Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket (Misc.)
I already owned two types of money belt: the kind you wear with a tape around your waste under your pants, and the kind that looks like a normal belt you wear through your belt loops. But when my boss asked me to carry thousands of dollars in cash on a three-week trip to several countries in Asia, and not to leave the cash in hotel safes, neither would do--the one was just too uncomfortable or impractical for wearing all day, every day (I have a bit of a paunch, and these types of belts end up riding right under my belly), while the other just didn't have the capacity for so much cash.

This pouch easily accommodated my little stack of $100 bills, and had I wanted to I could have added my passport and some credit cards. I wore the pouch in the 4 o'clock position (on my right side and a bit to the rear) under my pants; one of the loops came up over my waistband, then folded down on the outside, where I slipped my belt through it to keep the pouch from falling down my pants leg. Even knowing the loop was there, I had a hard time seeing it in the mirror. There is one black loop and one brown loop; use the one that matches your belt, and let the other remain inside your pants. I wore this hidden pocket constantly for three weeks (we never ended up needing the cash), and I never even felt it at all except for those occasions I felt for it to make sure it was still there; it's that comfortable.

I did not wear this through security in the USA, with their fancy imaging devices that have picked up my handkerchief in the past, but I did wear this through every other security screening I encountered at a variety of Asian airports. No matter whether I was screened by machine or frisked by hand, this pocket was never discovered at any of the checkpoints. In spite of the fact that the zipper seems metallic, I walked through metal detectors and detector wands passed over me that did not alert on the hidden pocket. Upon my return to the USA after three weeks of constant use, my hidden pocket shows no signs of wear other than a few creases.

I would second the advice given in these reviews not to plan on accessing the contents of the pouch in public. I carried a smaller amount of cash in my wallet if I thought I'd use any. In the USA, I kept this pocket in my carry-on bag until I went through screening, then went into a restroom and locked myself in a toilet stall to put it on. The "narrow range of problems" for which I recommend this hidden pocket are those times when you need to discreetly carry a modest amount of currency (the legal amount of US dollars in $100 bills should be fine) or documents (e.g. passports or papers folded into a similar size) that you will not be accessing in public view.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loop seams pulled apart, August 6, 2012
This review is from: Eagle Creek Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket (Misc.)
I had purchased this "same" product long ago and it lasted many years over many many trips around the world -- until the zipper finally failed. I purchased a replacement new Eagle Creek pouch this past year -- first use was a trip to Italy. When I arrived in customs in Europe -- I realized the money pouch was no longer on belt -- had fallen to my ankle. Upon inspection saw that the seams of both loops (I had passed my belt through both loops) had come completely apart. Not sure who Eagle Creek is now having sew the product -- but the quality of workmanship has certainly declined. I was very fortunate that the pouch -- with cash and credit cards -- was not lost -- but had temporarily been held in my lower pant leg. In Milan -- I paid a seamstress to resew the stitches -- the job cost about $15. Of course, nowadays when traveling in USA one must usually remove belt when passing through security -- so I would not recommend this type money pouch -- even if produced with workmanship (at least for airport travel). I have other Eagle Creek products -- neck pouches and passport neck pouch -- that I still commonly use and they work well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't survive two days during my trip., September 14, 2012
I purchased this "undercover" wallet for my most recent trip to Germany to stow my passport while walking about in the city. When I first received the item it looked as if it were a decently manufactured product. By the second day of the trip I noticed the strap, which holds on to a belt had begun to fray and disconnect from the wallet. I was a bit worried to see just how easy the wallet could potentially be lost down my pant leg and on to the city street. I began to use both straps to reinforce the wallet, but by the end of the trip I was just putting the whole thing in my pocket, which completely defeats the purpose of a hidden wallet. Needless to say I am not happy with this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars One Fell Apart, May 28, 2012
Katherine (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eagle Creek Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket (Misc.)
We bought two of these for a trip to Barcelona (a notorious pick-pocket city). They are a very nice solution; easy to use and safe. However, on the first day the loop on one of them started to pull out of the seam. By day 10, both loops had completely shredded and disconnected from the bag. The seam didn't fail, it was the loops that fell apart. The other bag had no problems and made it through the whole trip just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, lousy craftmanship, September 2, 2012
This is a great idea for a travel bag for carrying passport, etc - however, the loop frayed and came off the pouch and I nearly lost the pouch, money, and passport in a market before I felt it sliding down my leg. I had seen others that had the same problem so I guess I hit the jackpot. Other Eagle Creek products have worked well, but they need to find a new manufacturer for this one. Close, but no cigar.

1.0 out of 5 stars Major quality control problem..., December 4, 2012
This review is from: Eagle Creek Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket (Misc.)
I traveled with a seemingly identical Eagle Creek money pouch for a decade. It was perfect. The zipper finally gave out last year while traveling in Honduras. Given that I had cumulatively traveled roughly a year with it, I felt that it had served me well.

I purchased what I thought was the same product. Within 3 days the black strap had completely separated from the pouch. I then started using the tan strap and it immediately also began to separate from the pouch. Unacceptable!

A reliable money pouch is a very necessary piece of travel gear. This one is anything but reliable. The straps could have very easily ripped as I was walking down the street, leaving my passport, cards, and cash on the street in Quito. Needless to say, this would have been a bad situation.

In the past I have been happy with Eagle Creek travel products. But this failure is so egregious that I would be hesitant to purchase another one of their products.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product is not well-designed, July 25, 2012
Like another reviewer, the loop tore away from the pouch during the first use. When I removed the pouch after a few hours of use only one thread held one side of the loop in place. I am lucky I did not loose what was inside. Great concept and poor design. I am sorry -- but this is not worth looking at unless the company has a new design. July 25, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Ripped the first day, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Eagle Creek Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket (Misc.)
I was using this product the way it was intended and one of the belt loops ripped on the very first day. I do NOT recommend it. It's a waste of money and you'll regret putting any trust in this product very early on your trip.

Eagle Creek Travel Gear Undercover Hidden Pocket