5.0 out of 5 stars Early Onset of Night
Published on November 5, 2010 by wyogal

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds a lot like...
Published on November 30, 2011 by stilts19

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Onset of Night, November 5, 2010
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
Early Onset of Night is a collection of intriguing tales by Michael Kindt. The characters are everyday people...a convenience store clerk, a college student, a hunter, a husband. These ordinary people derail and the twist to the macabre is striking. The humor evident throughout the book is tinged with sadness. If you have ever had to put a pet to sleep, read the last story, "I Know What Holds the Most Beauty" You will cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't suck, blow or bite., July 13, 2012
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
Pretty unlikely you've ever read anything quite like this collection of short stories. Brilliant, dark and humorous... if you like to explore the human condition, there is much to enjoy here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book by an Interesting man, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
So, to start off, I randomly discovered Michael Kindt on Tumblr, and it then inspired me to start my own Tumblr. His posts are absolutely hilarious, and with some of the bias(which I personally find very entertaining, and he doesn't exactly try and hide most of it), they are something I really look forward to.

Now, onto the book. The style of the book isn't exactly the same as his posts, but more so a fictitious first-person perspective. They pretty much all read as personal experience, despite not being his own, and they definitely make me chuckle. Some of them really make me think about myself, others make me just think "How could someone ACTUALLY be like this". But, alas, it provides a very unique reading experience, and I anxiously look forward to reading Volume Two.

4.0 out of 5 stars For one with the right kind of mind., March 25, 2012
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
A novel that reaches the far end of the dark, mysterious, grotesque and sometimes sexy realm of the literary world, EOoN is a read that you may need a strong stomach for. I read the entire book in a few days, but I have to say that some stories I may never read again. It has a sort if dark, ironic humor that you can't tear yourself away from. I really like the order in which the stories are arranged, it gives the book a more intriguing flow, and it makes you feel like you can't skip stories. It is quire a good read, very entertaining, especially if you like exploring your dark side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read, September 4, 2013
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
I like to take this book to bed with me at night. The short stories make for perfect night time reading. You can never out guess what's coming next. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, compelling and utterly unoriginal, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
I'm not the type of person to go into a book expecting it to be the most unique and original piece of work to ever fall across my lap. Hopefully, like many I believe that history is in the habit of repeating itself and so through the arts we see that repetition a little less clearly than we see it in politics or social issues. However, that repetition is still there.

Originally, I picked up this book after reading Chuck Palanuhik's "Haunted," which managed to impress and terrify me at the same time. In short, there was a broad range of emotions that I experienced while reading that work. So when I began reading "Early Onset of Night," those feelings began to surface again. With each tale I experienced different emotions and
honestly, I actually related to these sories. I do not mean to be assuming when I say I think in a dark, convulted manner, but it is the truth and I feel as though this book touched that portion of my personality deeply--it resonated with me in the best and worst of ways.

I do not want to go on and on here, but what I found most impressive in this collection of short stories is the author's voice: witty, satirical, sarcastic and a hint of the absurb not at all unlike Tom Stoppard. His voice and his style convince you of each and every story, every character and every action in a way that is hardly present in mature fiction anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiction at it's finest!, March 25, 2012
nai000ian (Springfield, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
I don't read fiction but this book caught my eye and I knew I wanted to check it out. Dark, humorous and hip. It kept me entertained like I knew it would with a couple of surprises. Recommended!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds a lot like..., November 30, 2011
This review is from: Early Onset of Night, Volume One (Paperback)
I'll start out by admitting that I have NOT read this book, only the excerpts here on Amazon BUT this material sounds a LOT like Maddox or Irvine Welsh's stuff. "The Acid House" being a prime example. In the small bits I've read I do not get the sense that this is any better than, or more original than, Maddox's post on The Best Page In The Universe.com or as subversive and twisted as Welsh's stories in The Acid House. Kudos to the guy for writing a book, it's more than I've done (so I don't mean to trash him) but this kind of dark humor has already been covered....

ARRAY(0xad074b7c)

Early Onset of Night, Volume One
Early Onset of Night, Volume One by Michael Kindt (Paperback - October 4, 2010)
$12.99 $11.69