on June 15, 2012
After reading other reviewers complain about the crossbars being hard to install I left the box in the entry way until my college son could come home & help. I also noticed some mentioned the smell so my curiosity got the better of me & I decided to open the box 'just to let it air out'. Surprise! No smell other than a brief 'new' smell as I pulled it out which quickly dissipated. I thought I'd stretch it out till he came. Well, folks, that is all there is to installation - just stectch it out & snap on the cross bars which were, well - a snap. :-) I'm turning 60 with weak wrists from overuse & this was was easy! Final test, being 'mature' with periodic back aches I laid on it expecting to need to quickly roll to my side before my back started to hurt. Oh no, this baby is back-friendly (& plenty stable to turn over if you want to). This is coming from a massage therapist with many years experience. Now I want another one for guests. Tonight though, I'm sleeping under the stars, days before the college son ever gets home. :-) Ahhh...

6/19/12: Uh-hum. After trying the cot a few nights, I will add this: The 1st night I tried it with a sheet only & was able to fall asleep but was aware of the bars around all 4 sides. The 2nd night I folded the therafoam padding from my larger bed in half on it and tried it again. Again I slept well but was still aware of the rectangle of metal bars around it. *Perhaps this is typical of all cots*, dunno, but it was easy to set up & take down & the side pouches would be super handy on a camping trip. Just dont expect it to feel like your bed at home. And why does Earth sell the same cot for almost the same price under 2 separate listings, only one hides the price-up under shipping costs & throws in a $1 pillow (most will prefer their own pillow)? Lastly I did notice some material sag in the hip area of the fabric after the 1st night even though I'm no where near 200 lbs. I tightened the Velcro both before & after the first night but it didn't seem to change that. I'd recommend centering your hip area over the center strap of fabric which is heavier to get more longevity out of the product. Happy camping! :-)

6/29/12 UPDATE: I bought the Earth Jamboree Cot 1st, then the Texsport. The Texsport is a far better cot & around $20 less! This one has bells & whistles of the side hanging pocket and pillow but what we care about is a good night's sleep. The Texsport is tight & quiet. The Military one creaks. Other than the Velcro pockets, they're pretty much the same except the Texsport is a lot tighter & more comfortable. Wish I'd bought the Texsport 1st, then I would've looked no further.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2012
This cot is all that I anticipated and more. It's comfortable and strong, and being able to adjust the tension of the fabric is a big plus.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've used this cot on two camping trips. It was purchased to replace an air mattress. The cat is sturdy and was warmer to sleep on than the air mattress (did not have to worry about it deflating in cold weather - 15deg). This would also be handy for unexpected guests that may come by (adult or child).

The side storage bags come in handy for flash lights and other small items.

I would definitely recommend this for the casual camper.
on August 4, 2012
This is what I think after owning it a few months. I've used it indoors and outdoors. Here's the scoop.

Its a nice size and I feel like i can move all over on it when I sleep and the sleeping bag fits nice on it (and I have an extra sized bag). The pillow did come in handy when I was sleeping outdoors in a campground the night before I hiked Mount Washington in NH. Folds up into a nice case. Kept me off the ground and clean/dry all night. It is not something you want to carry on you all day for a hike. Its more of a 'throw this in the car and take it out when you need it' item. Its not super heavy but its heavy enough that i wont carry it on my back and it is big enough that I wont carry it on a hike too.

The little removable pouches and pockets seem like a great idea but I havent used them yet. I just take them off and leave them at home. Although they do seem to be quite useful. I just never had to cross that bridge of needing them yet.

At home I crash on it when I want to sleep in the living room or have a guest that needs a bed and i dont want them sleeping on my couch. They have no complaints.

Sturdy and after lots of use it doesnt seem to have any wear on it. Comfortable to sleep on. Sturdy enough to sit on. Easy to set up (like 2-3 minutes), easy to fold closed (2-3 min).I see this being a great item to have and my wife thinks im crazy but I want to sleep in the backyard during a snow storm with my sleeping bag on this cot. When i do that Ill let you all know (If I survive the night)
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2011
I ordered this item because the price and the bonus pouches that come with the cot. It was delivered only a day later in time for our outing this weekend. It is light weight and well built. No loose parts.
on July 21, 2012
My husband and I are now to the age where getting up and down from the ground is a little tough, so we decided to buy cots for our camping trips. We tent camp, cook over a fire, etc. These cots are great and are a great price! They fold up compactly, so they are easy to carry and open very easily. All you have to do is put the head & foot bars in. The tightness of the cots can be adjusted. They come with storage bags you can hang on the cot - which is great for putting your glasses and flashlight in. We both found them to be extremely comfortable! They are a good length. Even comes with a little pillow! They look very sturdy and well made. The only problem was that they had a real strong stench to them when they arrived. We set them up on our porch and sprayed them with fabric freshener and let them stay out for a week and they were okay.
on February 25, 2012
I am a large framed man, cot is easy to set up and holds my 250 pounds very well. I can roll over with no problem. However, the fabric does "squeak" a bit when I move. Legs are very solid. I am very happy with my purchase.
on March 24, 2012
I bought this so that I'd have a place to sleep while my house guest used my bed. I didn't buy an accompanying cot mattress.

First, the pros. The cot is extremely sturdy. Although you do get some creaking noises when you sit down, the cot doesn't shake or buckle at all when sitting or lying on top of it. Taking down the cot and putting it into the canvas bag are relatively easy. The canvas material on the cot itself is strong. Even though I didn't need the travel pillow or the attaching bags for camping supplies, I think they're a great addition. The cot is extremely roomy and I had no trouble turning in my sleep or sitting cross-legged on it. And, for the first few hours of lying on it, it was comfortable.

The only two cons are that my arm was seriously hurting by the morning and that it's hard to assemble. I like that I didn't have to screw or tighten anything, that it just folds open and closed, but the difficult part was attaching the bars at either end. The bars have two holes on either side. They slide through a pocket in the canvas at each end and then fit onto the cot. The cot has two little plastic nubs that go into the holes. This keeps the canvas taut and the frame more secure. They were SO difficult for me to slap on, though. I kept smacking and snacking the bar into place and they just wouldn't work. I finally had to ask my partner to get them on for me and even he had some problems. In the morning when I took down the cot, I also had trouble getting the bars off the frame.

This cot is really well made and you get a lot for the price. Assembly couldn't be any easier, except for those darn bars. And if you buy a cot mattress, I bet it'd be really comfortable. Even without the mattress, it wasn't so bad. It's much better for the back than sleeping on the floor or ground.
on January 26, 2012
Cot is a great cot. Just like one you would use in the army. Built the same, very sturdy and includes the side bags for storage which is what sold me on this specific cot. The only reason I gave it four stars is that they didn't ship everything right away. I recieved the cot portion of the order about a week after I ordered it. When I opened the cot to check it out the side bags and pillow was missing. In it's place there was a letter saying it was back ordered and I should recieve it in three weeks. I waited the three weeks and nothing came. I then contacted the company by phone and recieved no reply. A few days later I e-mailed the customer service rep. Rory responded quickly and professionally and a week later I had the missing items. The item is good I just wasn't happy with how long it took to get it.
on September 13, 2013
Including Prime 2 day delivery, am very satisfied with this cot product as well as Amazon Prime expedited delivery.

2 Cots purchased, delivered together, have only been used for two days on a single trip, but they have performed perfectly and to satisfaction.
Looking them over closely I see no reason to think this won't be my long term experience too, even where moving and riveted parts most often fail.

Cots look well built and details are clean and well done. Fitment to bag is good and not too tight. Bag closure clip is the only part of the whole kit that's shoddy quality.
I am 6'1 and over 230 lbs, and never had a sense I was stressing my cot to it's maximum. That being said, I was careful to sit and transition to lying down on the cot without unnecessary bouncing. Used my slim backpack mattress the first night only to find the cot actually more comfy without it.
There was not much creaking noise to bother others while shifting position in cot.
Size was borderline for me, mostly side to side.
Be prepared to make peace with sleeping with at least one limb laying across a cot bar unless you sleep in a mummy position.

When assembling, suggest inserting and securing the first crossbar at the NON-velcro end/slot first. Then you can stretch the canvas tight for the velcro end next.
If not, it is possible to unintentionally kick loose a crossbar at your foot end while sleeping and turning, rendering the cot much more subject to possible damage until you get up and fix the issue in the dark.

While the pillow is small, it is definitely better than nothing if that's all you bring. The elastic cinch on the openings of the cot-side storage bags seems an unnecessary pain, but I am otherwise sure those attachment bags will be a nice addition on a longer stay.
Was worried about the cot feet hurting the floor surface of our new tent (std nylon), but we had NO problem for the short stay and I wouldn't be overly concerned. The surfaces of the feet were (and plastic covered) and somewhat larger than I expected.

Saw no reason to suspect or be worried about canvas stress damage anytime soon. aka: observed/noted NO serious Achilles heal worry areas in construction to watch over.
All and all, after looking at many possible choices, including in stores, I am very satisfied with these and their cost in relation to their build quality.
If others my size or less are complaining about build strength, either their product came damaged or assembled incorrectly, or they abuse their cot by "plopping" down for a seat on it.
Address your cot with your weight and movements politely, and it'll stand up to that plenty fine.
Stupid is as stupid does. Respect this equip and I have good confidence you'll have a good experience with it.

--LD