5.0 out of 5 stars Earth Science for 5th Graders
I teach 4th and 5th grade science to a group of urban and multicultural students. This is the first DVD I have seen that effectively addresses Earth Science content that will appeal to the age group and to English learners. The program has chapters on all of the key ES concepts and provides a quiz to test knowledge which includes some test taking tips.

The...
Published on January 28, 2009 by G. Guarino

3.0 out of 5 stars eh. good content - crappy accent.
Published 5 months ago by BREA

5.0 out of 5 stars Earth Science for 5th Graders, January 28, 2009
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)

The characters are funny and add songs to aid in understanding. They have Italian and New York accents (my background) so I can introduce my California kids to East Coast style.

After this review, I'm writing the company to request a similar program for 4th/5th Life Science. It must have been designed by middle school science teachers, because it hits the mark perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to get young people interested in the basics of science, March 19, 2010
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)
Three award-winning, computer-animated DVDs from Rock 'N Learn correlate to national Science Education standards, and are an excellent way to get young people interested in the basics of science. "Earth Science" (61 min., for grades 3-8) teaches how the earth's tilt causes the seasons, and about the water cycle, what causes weather, the different types of rocks and fossils, topography and volcanoes, plate tectonics, energy and resources, alternative energy and conservation, and much more. "Life Science" (59 min., for grades 3-8) covers plants and photosynthesis, the parts of a plant, the parts of a flower and pollination, characteristics of animal groups, ecosystems/food chains/food webs, genetic traits and adaptations, an introduction to human body systems and more. "Physical Science" (55 min., for grades 5 & up) covers lab safety, the scientific method, the parts of atoms, molecules and the states of matter, physical and chemical changes, mixtures versus pure substances, the definition of electricity, understanding magnetism, motion and gravity, and more. All three DVDs have a bonus section designed to help young viewers with multiple choice tests, and are a superb pick for public and grade school libraries, home schooling DVD collections, and just plain educational fun. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super!, January 19, 2010
emily "FunSchoolingAtHome" (Las Vegas, Nevada, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)
We enjoyed using this as a review of our Earth science curriculum. The kids, age 8 and 10, liked it and it really helped them remember a few key points. This is one of our favorites out of all the R-n-L series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but annoying voices...., August 17, 2010
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)
So, this video is very helpful. My 3 year old knows his planets in order from this song! My 6 year old understands all about planets, rocks, etc. Downside...one of the characters has a REALLY annoying voice. I am from NY, but goodness, this is ridiculous. She can actually confuse things because of pronounciation! If you can get past the voices, this video is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a young audience., April 12, 2009
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)
We found the material is well covered but the style of presentation appears to be for a younger audience than Grade 5. We find The Magic School Bus materials are more engaging in their style of presentation and The Magic School Bus story books cover more details on each subject. However, this video covers some concepts The Magic School Bus series does not. This is a good addition to our educational library for our 4 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant go wrong with this Rock and Learns series., January 16, 2014
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)
I started buying these vids years ago. I think I may have just about all of their videos. My children love watching these vids. Very educational and can get more and more info watching over and over again. The Rock and Learn Series is so good for kids. You cant go wrong with any of their videos.

3.0 out of 5 stars eh. good content - crappy accent., October 30, 2013
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)
Well we have several of these science rock and learn videos. The content is pretty decent - but the accent is a mess. Not sure why they would choose to have a thick fake accent to teach children words and information. Some of the words are pronounced differently on the video than Americans would speak it - so that is confusing for learning. & some of it the accent is so thick even I had to really concentrate to hear what word was being said. Perhaps good for some children - but for any child with a learning disability I think it adds to the chaos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational & Fun, September 14, 2013
My 4 year old loves the solar system, so he especially enjoyed the first part of the video featuring the planets. I personally find the voices of the characters annoying, but he doesn't seem to mind. He has requested to watch the video every day that we've rented it, and is learning about the water cycle, different kinds of rocks, volcanos and more. I can see us purchasing this video in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video for My Student, June 30, 2013
DeePhilly "dstachura" (Bensalem, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This was a wonderful video to accompany my Earth Science lessons. It reviewed some key concepts and also provided some clarification. I highly recommend this video.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4th graders loved it!, May 7, 2013
This review is from: Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn (DVD)
Covered almost all of the core curriculum for our science. It briefly went over each topic and gave them a catchy song to help remember it. Great review for end of year testing.

ARRAY(0xd8cf0e74)

Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn
Earth Science: Rock 'N Learn by Richard Caudle (DVD - 2008)
$19.99 $16.98