5.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY Healthy Dog's
I first purchased this food at the Pomona Pet Expo this year and as I do all my cooking for my animals I was looking for a natural grain free dry to add to their wet. I learned that feeding your dogs the right food from an early age is key to keeping them healthy and with you for as long as possible.

This by far is one of the best Natural foods I have...
Published on October 12, 2010 by Chloe

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ingredients, horrible gas
My dogs are not picky and ate this food as happily as any other, but starting with their second bag they both developed horrific clear-out-the-room flatulence. I thought maybe we got a bad bag, but the problems continued with the next bag. I guess this is a possible consequence of a grain-free, high-protein diet. It became really intolerable, so we switched to Dr. Tim's...
Published 3 months ago by Alex B.

5.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY Healthy Dog's, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 28-Pound (Misc.)

This by far is one of the best Natural foods I have purchased and my dogs just (Love) it.. The Holistic Primitive is high in Protein and very well tolerated by sensitive stomachs. This food has never been recalled and is made in it's own plant, unlike most major brands out there that are manufactured at the same plant and only under different names. The price I find to be fare, as I have paid much higher for other Holistic food which was not received well by my dogs.

I highly recommend Earthborn Natural food for anyone who really knows the importance of feeding your "companions" healthy food and for those who really Love their Pet's..

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this food!, December 17, 2011
My main reason for purchasing this dog food was that I wanted a food made here in the U.S., of natural ingredients and not made in a plant where chemicals are processed.
Recently I have lost 2 of my beloved small animals to a company who produces pet foods in the same plant as chemicals, pesticides, and other cleaning agents. It is my belief that carelessness and greed led to contaminated small animal food that killed my 2 pets.

I have a 65lb German Shepherd/Aussie mix with a leg injury, and joint problems. She has always been very active & full of energy for her age of 8 years old. In the past I've tried either making her food or searching out holistic foods that are made here in the U.S. with natural ingredients.

We started out with a small bag of this food at first to see if she would eat it. Immediately she loved it! She had no stomach upset, even though her stomach is sensitive. Right away her coat started getting softer & shinier. There wasn't as much problems with her joints and leg injury as before and I did notice even more energy in her!

Now that I've been feeding her this for a while her coat has continued to soften, looks shinier & no more scratching! She's maintained her regular weight without gaining any. Her energy level is amplified and she's showing very little discomfort in her joints & with her leg injury. What I love best is that she eats every last bite of this food when its feeding time, when before she would only pick at her food. I've fed her other brands of holistic, natural and organic foods and none of them were this much of a hit with her. This food really has made a difference in her overall health, coat and energy levels. None of the other foods made her coat this soft!

These are bite sized pieces of food that an older or smaller dog would be able to eat. Mine doesn't like big chunks of food, she prefers the smaller bites so this one is perfect for her. Oh, and upon opening this bag the scent is like meat not bread or preservatives in other foods. This food isn't greasy either like many of the others we've tried in the past that leave stains on the floor if it drops and she misses a piece.

I'd definitely recommend this food to everyone who has a small or large dog. The differences you will notice right away in your dog will make you a believer in this food as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 paws up for this one, December 3, 2011
This food is for my 8 year old German Shepherd who has a sensitive stomach & skin allergies in the past.
We've tried just about every natural, organic and holistic food in the past with some luck in finding foods that don't upset her stomach or make her sick.
The very first days of her eating this food I mixed it in with her old one and there was no stomach upset. She loves this food and licks the bowl when it's empty. Immediately there was an improvement in her energy level *she already is a hyper dog, but now she's even more lively & vibrant*, her coat has started to get softer & shinier and less scratching.
I've found a better price somewhere else, but wanted to share with everyone how much we love this food & will continue to purchase in the future for my dog.
The ingredients are natural and the company is here in the states. That alone makes a huge difference in choosing the right dog food in my opinion. I also wanted to point out that these are smaller bites so a dog of most any size except the toy or miniature would be able to chew these, even older dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good premium food at a fair price. What's not to love?, June 3, 2012
My dog was picky about her food until we started buying the "premium" types that have more meat in them. We had her on Taste of the Wild for a while because it was a nice quality grain free for a fair price. Someone recommended that I add Earthborn to my rotation because it was comparable in price and quality to ToTW. I think that is true of the other grain free formulas, but primitive natural is actually better than ToTW in my opinion. It has higher protein and fat with lower carbohydrates. Even though it's a couple dollars more expensive per bag, since it is about 70 more calories per cup, it actually works out to be a little cheaper as fed (she ate 1 cup ToTW per day, and now 2/3 cup primitive natural per day).

Anyway, my dog likes this as much, if not more than her old food and she seems to be doing just as well on it so I am happy. Nice firm, small stools, shiny coat and nice energy level. Aside from that, I like to think I'm supporting a good company when I buy this food. They claim that the bags are made from natural gas, and they have the UPCs for Trees program, where you send them a certain number of UPCs and they plant a tree. The food also comes in a resealable bag, which is really convenient and helps keep the food fresh without having to pour it into an airtight container. Overall I am very happy with this food. Just wish I could find it closer to me, but the free super saver shipping makes it a mute point. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars My Dog Loves It! and it's 5 star rated, March 20, 2010
At this point, I actually can't say if the food is going to work out completely, but I can say that my dog definitely loves it. I've tried giving him choices and he always chooses the Earthborn.

As far as the ingredient list, I'm super happy about it. It was listed as a 5 star dog food out of 6 possible stars on [...]. The main reason it wasn't a 6 was because of not having a statement that said that it was ethoxyquin free, but I read on another site that they have since made that statement (don't know if it's true though). There are a couple of other minor reasons, but nothing that really matters -especially considering that the price for this grain free dog food was much better than some others.

I'm a little bit concerned about the 38% protein and the 20% fat as they seem a bit high. As long as he gets plenty of water and doesn't start gaining too much weight, then I won't worry about it. He's a 10 month old pit but he's not really that active though so it may be a problem. He's too busy following me around the house being a big baby all day & he doesn't even want to go outside by himself so he doesn't get a ton of excercise. Right now, he's the perfect weight but I just started it so we'll see. I've read that the high protein isn't a problem unless it's not a good quality protein, so as long as that is true, then it should be fine. (like they say, look at the wild animals that eat mostly protein).

The other problem that may be an issue is that I think this MAY have caused some loose stools. I've read that it can be the result of the high fat content. I noticed them being loose even when I was doing the transition of 1/4 of new to 3/4 of old. BUT -I don't want to say for sure that this was the reason. I did notice that a few other people were having the same problem, but the food that I was mixing it with was also fairly new to him since we've only had him for 3 weeks. I don't know what he was on before when he was with our friend who found him, but I know that it was something cheap from the grocery store. I just switched him directly to Strong Point, which is a pretty decent food. He didn't seem to have it before I started the transition to Earthborn, but he's also been moved around a few times (had an original owner, then our friend found him & had him for 5 months, then my mom had him for a week and now we have him). Since we've had him, he's had conjunctivitis in both eyes (and putting those darn drops in the eyes is stressful for us all!), he's been neutered, traveled out of town with us in the car, he's been given all his shots for at least the second time -maybe the 3rd (we had to do them over because my friend couldn't find the paperwork where he had it done)and he's started heartworm medication. I just wonder if some of it couldn't be from stress or feeling anxious.

Anyway, with that being said, I would definitely recommend trying this food. What works good for one dog is not always what works for another. The fact that it is a grain free food and it has good quality ingredients makes it worth trying! Even if it turns out to be too much for my dog, and some others, there are still plenty out there who loved it and had no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi Quality Low Price, December 8, 2011
This food is the best food you can get for $40 a bag! It is rated 5 and 6 stars on the dog food rating charts and that's because it is an excellent grain free high protien dog food. My Schnauzers are much better since they started eating this food-the itching and the ear infeections are GONE. They love the taste and I love the very high quality of the food. Some dogs do fine on corn. My dogs do not, and so if you want something like Blue Wilderness at a much lower cost-this is it! Make sure you change your dog over to this food slowly. It is so much richer than Pro Plan or Science Diet etc, that if you change them too fast they can get a tummy upset. Change them slowly and you will be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ollie LOVES Earthborn!, June 6, 2011
I have an extremely picky 4 year old cockapoo with allergy issues. He LOVES this food. I have tried sooooo many different kinds in the past few years (without much luck at all for one reason or another) but thankfully we found this. I will warn you ... he had a few loose stools at the beginning when I was weaning him onto this (I think because of the high fat content as well as the other people said), but it only lasted a couple days and then he was fine. Once he started eating this, he wouldn't even look at other food. There have been times when Ollie has been around other dog's food and always goes for the bowl, but now he sniffs at it and leaves it alone. I almost ran out of one day and had to mix his Earthborn with his old food just to give him his meal until I got to the store and he actually picked out all the old food and put it on the floor! Too funny! He loves this stuff! Also, I saw an almost immediate improvement in his coat - it's so much shinier and softer than before. He feels like he did when he was a puppy. What a nice added bonus!!! If you pay alot of attention to your pet (like I do - I totally baby him) you'll see the difference right away about everything. This food is the BEST!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rated food for the best price, March 26, 2014
I did an amazing amount of research looking for the best quality food for my pet, without paying outrageous prices. According to an external site, which compares ingredients in great detail on hundreds of dog foods, this one was rated a 4.5 out of 5 stars, yet the price is less than other 4 or 5 star foods. Unfortunately, Amazon stopped offering it with prime shipping, and I find it is much cheaper now to purchase this at a local store. I would love to see this and the cat food versions offered with subscribe & save. I buy at least a large bag of each every month. Come on Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PRODUCT, November 16, 2013
A friend told me about this dog food. Her dog has severe GI problems and this works great for him. I put my dog on a grain free diet because she kept puking up mucus in the middle of the night. After the grain free diet started she has not thrown up in over 2 years. I have tried several dog foods that are grain free, my dog likes earthborn holistic the best. My other dog does not have a sensitive stomach and I feed it to him also, he loves it! I have used this brand for the past year and will continue. I recommend this dog food to all of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars My dogs look much better after just two weeks, December 13, 2012
This food is great. I didn't understand how much grain was in the dog food I was using. My dogs teeth are almost clean of the tartar that was building up with the other brand of dog food I was feeding. I wish the price were better, but I will continue to buy this for my dogs. One of my dogs has also lost the extra weight on this feed and looks more solid.

Rate and Discover Movies