Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

Easter's coming, and the gang is trying to get ready for it in different ways. Sally wants a new pair of shoes. Peppermint Patty is trying to teach Marcy how to color eggs. Snoopy wants to do a good deed for Woodstock. Charlie Brown is upset by the site of Christmas pre-sales at the local department store. And Linus is telling everyone about the Easter Beagle who rises up on Easter morning to give eggs to all the children. Will this familiar sounding tale have the same outcome as the Great Pumpkin?
This disc's bonus feature is "It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown." Sally has to give a report on this obscure holiday, and it gets the gang in the mood to participate. As a surprise to Charlie Brown, his baseball team decides to spruce up the baseball field will all kinds of new plants with surprising and humorous results.
Once again, I've never seen these two specials before getting this disc yet was utterly charmed by them both. While I was a little surprised and disappointed that the Easter one didn't reference the Biblical story ala A Charlie Brown Christmas, that's a minor point. I loved every minute of Arbor Day. It's a more coherent story and has some classic moments. Plus I learned a little more about this holiday. (I confess, my knowledge was about like Sally's at the beginning, so anything was better then nothing.)
If you've bought other Peanuts DVD's you know exactly what to expect here. The picture and sound quality are good, but there aren't any extras.
While extras would be nice, these discs are certainly fun the way they are. Any Peanuts fan will want this disc to continue their collection of these holiday classics.
on November 12, 1999
Don't believe the "bad press!" I think this mini-movie is hysterical. Woodstock's "groovy pad" is the ultimate. And you can't help but love the fact that you end up wanting to smack Marcy for being so dense. My friends and I (average age - 25) love "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown." I definitely recommend it for any Peanuts fan.
on March 22, 2000
"Easter Beagle" is one of the classic Peanuts TVspecials, and still makes for fun viewing, even more than a quartercentury after its first broadcast. Although the Easter theme seems a bit tenuous at points, we and our kids enjoy watching the Peanuts gang's antics. Indeed, some of the "surreal" bits (such as the dancing in the department store) are some of the kids' favorite scenes. And Peppermint Patty's repeated "AAAAAAUUGH!" at Marcie's various egg-cooking mistakes never fails to throw our 6-year-old into the giggles. END
on April 18, 2000
This is truly a classic Charlie Brown special! Marcy wastes 3 dozen eggs trying to roast, fry, waffle, or cook them instead of hard-boiling them. Peppermint Patty runs out of money (and patience!). Snoopy goofs around in the mall and generously buys Woodstock a birdhouse (and gets his nose caught in it!). Then of course, there's the Easter Beagle. He comes to bring Easter eggs to all the good boys and girls in the world! Linus promotes his coming, but Sally isn't willing to believe him after what happened during Halloween (in It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown). Will the Easter Beagle come? Will he dance with the bunnies, Peppermint Patty, Marcy, and even give crabby Lucy a kiss? Check it out!
on January 14, 2003
For those of you who are curious, this will also include the bonus feature, "It's Arbor Day, Charlie Brown." Currently, it looks like they're sticking with the holiday themes. I can't wait to see some of the other terrific specials get their due. Enjoy!
on March 28, 2005
The peanuts gang are up to their usual mischief in preparation for Easter Sunday, but no one seems to be listening to Linus. He swears that the Easter Beagle will come and make the celebrations complete. Typically no one listens to him, he is little bit 'Ralph Wiggum' remember.

Though Snoopy ends up being that very Beagle, he's far too busy trying to help out Woodstock. The poor little bird is freezing in his cruddy little nest full of cold water. So Snoopy goes off to the mall (already advertising Xmas goodies!) to buy him a bird house. With hilarious results.

After much hijinks and endless trips to the mall for eggs (Marcie keeps smashing them as she doesn't know how to do egg-painting) Snoopy saves the day and proves Linus right after all. Sigh! They don't make 'em like this anymore. I'll tale Snoopy over Spongebob any day.

I have not seen It's Arbor Fay, Charlie Brown so I cannot review it yet.

The DVD is in 1.33:1 full frame, as drawn, with Dolby Mono sound.
I realize that 99.9999% of the people buying this DVD aren't going to care about this, but as someone married to a Japanese woman who doesn't have the strongest English skills, I have always appreciated that the "Charlie Brown" specials came with a wide variety of subtitles, including that rarest of gems, Japanese subtitles. Because of this my wife and I can enjoy watching the Peanuts gangs specials every year just like I always have since I was a kid.

I was looking forward to "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown," and didn't check the subtitle options because, well, they are always there. But this one has all of the other Asian languages; Chinese, Korean, Thai, etc ... for some reason they have dropped Japanese from the included list.

Bummer.

I still loved the DVD. The "Easter Beagle" and "Arbor Day" specials are as much fun as I remember them. But it looks like this one I won't get to share. Consider this review a warning to anyone else that has been enjoying the wide Peanuts subtitle options. Don't just assume they will be there on every release!
VINE VOICEon December 20, 2004
Even cynical Lucy van Pelt can't help liking this...especially since she's got the starring role! Just kidding. Oops! Don't slug me, Lucy!

The scene in which the mall already has Christmas decorations fits perfectly with the over-commercialization of Christmas addressed in "A Charlie Brown Christmas." And this was 1974 before department stores refused to say Merry Christmas.

There isn't much mention of Jesus Christ that I recall considering Linus' recitation during the Christmas special. Easter is the celebration of the Resurrection. That said, this is still a classic.
on February 7, 2000
I have always felt a little let down after the Holidays are over and the long winter hangs around for a few months... but when it's spring Time there is no better way to put a smile on your face than watching Easter Beagle Charlie Brown. Every Good Friday before Easter my family watches this delightful show and colors eggs. Not to mention... it will six months until you can watch the Great Pumpkin, so watch Marci scramble the Easter Eggs, Snoopy Dance with bunnies, and Woodstock decorate his fancy new Bird house.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 4, 2015
This is a classic. There used to only be a few "peanuts" shows on television, all of them coincided with major holidays.

Easter beagle has always been my favorite cartoon, I love watching Peppermint Patty ruin eggs and then ruin more eggs. I loved Marcie's responses every time she noted the latest way PP cooks the eggs. This show never gets old and never goes out of fashion.

I purchased this movie so I am able to watch it whenever the mood to giggle strikes me.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse