5.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes that produce delicious recipes- update
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:30 Mins
Published on October 26, 2011 by Becky (NOLA)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay ...
Published on May 29, 2012 by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes that produce delicious recipes- update, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao (Hardcover)
Length:: 4:30 Mins

Easy chinese recipes: family favorites from dim sum to kung Pao, pretty much says it all. This cookbook is full of the kind of recipes one would get out in a restaurant, from egg drop soup to orange chicken, only you, yes you, can make these at home. Low has demystified the sauces, the ingredients, and the techniques to make the recipes achievable, and yes, easy. This isn't a huge cookbook but the recipes included are the ones most people do seem to favor. When I read the recipe for shrimp toast I was thinking that no way would this taste like anything I'd get in a restaurant, it was too easy. As my sons and I chowed through the toast I kept thinking, wow, I made this! wow! and it was as good, if not better, than any restaurant.

We have a place here, pushcart dim sum, that is delicious (and fairly pricey) At home, from this cookbook so far, I've made the ribs, the black bean clams, and the pork bun filling, and it's all been really doable. I am not a stranger to Chinese cooking, I've been doing it for many years, but I still like to eat out because restaurant food is just different, and now I am making food that tastes like I ordered it from our favorite Chinese take out.

Pros:
well laid out recipes with ingredient list and directions that are easy to read and follow
Pictures of every recipe
pictures of some of the trickier techniques
a good basic explanation of techniques and ingredients in the front of the book
delicious easy recipes

Cons: none that I've found. quibbles- I like plain white background paper but that isn't really star reduction worthy.

*ETA April 12, 2012. I can't tell you how much I love this book. Everything comes out delicious and looking pretty much like the picture. Out of 14 chinese cookbooks this has become my go to book. I recently did a cook book purge and got rid of over 300, including several Chinese, I just didn't need them anymore because this is the book I turn to. I make something from it weekly, and it's such a winner. Make this your fist Chinese cookbook, or your last, either way you will be happy you bought this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Title says it all..Easy!!!, August 24, 2011
Anyone who has wanted to learn to cook Chinese food, but felt intimidated by the indgredients, should definitely buy this cookbook!!

My daughter gave me this cookbook, and I absolutely love it! I have had several Asian cookbooks over the years, but always found them hard to understand,and find some of the ingredients, so I basically gave up trying Chinese recipes. In her cookbook Bee describes the ingredients, shows you what they look like with incredible pictures, and where to find them if your local store doesn't have what you want....how easy is that!!
Now i am cooking chinese inspired dishes like an expert, all because of Bee!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating @ home 7 days a week, November 11, 2011
My family used to eat out all the time. My parents would always be too tired from work to even think about cooking. After discovering Bee's website, we cook almost everyday!

I stumbled onto Bee's website, RasaMalaysia, when I was looking for a recipe for Shrimp with Mayo and Honey Walnuts for my dad's birthday a few years ago. The simplicity of her recipes makes it easy for even novice cooks like me to cook restaurant quality dishes. It also takes me less time to prep and cook three of Bee's dishes than for my Zojirushi rice cooker to cook rice. When I heard about her book, I had to have it. The pictures are professional. The food is colorful, which makes it more appetizing and healthy (since you're getting a wider range of health benefits from different color food groups). I also love that there's a list of ingredients with comments/definitions for people who may not be familiar with some of the items and a picture of the brands of sauces that Bee recommends. Her book is detailed and organized.

Many recipes are not found on the website so don't miss out! This is a must have for anyone attempting to cook Chinese food. So far all the recipes I've made are 100% hit and 0% miss.
Bee makes authentic Chinese food so you can say bye bye to your local starchy fast food restaurant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The recipes are easy and delicious, March 4, 2012
Ericka J. (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I should add that they are easy if you already have a pantry stocked with the necessary sauces and spices but that doesn't take too long if you don't. Plus, if you do not live in an area where there is easy access to some of the items needed for the recipes, there are plenty of online resources to order from.

I initially bought this book just to support Bee Yinn Low because I felt I needed to repay the incredible generosity she offers with her recipes on her website: rasamalaysia.com. I found her site while looking for tasty and easy to create recipes after I found out that I was wheat and gluten intolerant. Without exaggeration, every single recipe that I have made on this website has been outstanding to the point where I am excited for guests to come over so I can wow them with what I have learned to make. The same goes for the recipes in this book (although I have just started out). Oh my god the Sichuan Spicy Chicken - drool. Black Bean Sauce Chicken - double drool. I have to adjust some of the recipes because the sauces or ingredients have wheat in them but they still come out excellent.

I have have come to feel after trying her recipes that most cookbooks under season their recipes so that they never come out rich or flavorful enough to stand up against restaurant-level dishes. This is not the case with the recipes in this book and on the website. Plus, in the book Bee Yinn Low goes into important details about cooking techniques that I hadn't known about before. One of my favorite tricks of the trade that I have learned (just about told everyone I know) is to tenderize chicken in baking soda for ten minutes before rinsing and stir-frying it. I have always wondered how to get that moist texture from chicken that you get in Asian restaurants and now I know.

Thank you so much Ms. Low!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and yummy recipes, I'm Chinese. I love it., January 15, 2012
I bought this book around Christmas last year for myself, I don't want to write a review without trying these recipes.
So I waited a while to write this review.

First, the book looks nice, hard cover and good quality prints. Pictures are nice and words are easy to understand. It taught you step by step and I'm sure if you like Chinese food and you are newbie to cook, that's the right book for you.

Second, a lot of Chinese food in the US are not really like real Chinese food in China. I like this book because it's really Chinese food recipes, a lot better than American Chinese food. I cooked beef broccoli last week, it was really yummy. My whole family liked it, even my three years old daughter. She ate broccoli like crazy. It was really an easy dish to make, if you prepared everything, cooking time will only take you 5 minutes. A great dish to try for working moms.

I'm a big fan of the author's blog, she really knows how to cook, not only Chinese food, but also western food, mostly from Asia. Great place to look for recipes.

I highly recommend this book.

-- Renee

5.0 out of 5 stars Honey Walnut Prawns FTW!, August 20, 2011
The Honey Walnut Prawns recipe is worth buying the book for! The recipe tastes closest to any of the Honey Walnut Prawns that I've ordered in the restaurants.

That being said, really this whole book is great, and I've enjoyed several recipes from it. Bee Yinn Low teaches simple methods to create dazzling Chinese dishes that will impress your wife, guests, or anyone else you're cooking for. The photography in the book is gorgeous too! This deservedly goes right on the shelf next to many other of my great cookbooks and is an all time favorite resource for Chinese cooking. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy, very simple everday Chinese dishes, August 17, 2011
Su Chin "Su Chin" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
I bought this book, after following several recipes off Bee Yinn's cooking blog : RasaMalaysia.com. I've followed to a "T", her recipe for BBQ Pork (Char Siu) twice and it came out beautiful. Only problem was, I didn't make enough, for a Steamed Char Siu Bao, because the family wiped out all of it twice.

If you're looking for really simple Asian dishes to cook on a everyday basis, this would be it. She gives lots of tips, tricks, ideas and inspirations. Most seasoned home chefs I know would love to collect her book, just for her ideas!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay ..., May 29, 2012
I was really excited when I bought this book. However, I tried a couple of recipes with mixed results. I follow author's recipe precisely for egg tart dough, and mine always comes out a gooey mess. I tried the boba tea recipe and it turned out well. Lots of Americanized recipes, which my Chinese husband generally dislikes for their lack of authenticity. So, a good book, but not one that I would consider 5-star/"great" . For a great one, look up "Asian Dumplings" by Nguyen .... fantastic , but does require a bit of effort. (But not too much to scare away a gringa like me.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I could cook like this!, August 19, 2011
This book really helped me master the art of Chinese cooking. I love to entertain with "theme" nights and my friends all agree that "Chinese" night is their favorite! Plus, the photography is beautiful. I enjoy all aspects of this book, it's beautiful and my guests always leave happy and full! Thanks Bee!

5.0 out of 5 stars TX girls like Chinese food too, May 15, 2012
I usually don't review a cookbook until I've made a few dishes, but this time I am making an exception. Here's how it goes for me. Say for instance I want to eat Tex Mex food, I walk in & look around & if I don't see a good selection of Hispanics eating, I know this place has failed the first test.

Well, I judge cookbooks the same way, I visited the review site for this book & saw a whole bunch of people reviewing from Asian backgrounds giving glowing reviews. A very good sign! I order the book & open it up & bond with it from the first page. Now I must say I am a bona fide Texan who has a gusty appetite for Chinese food, but have only tasted a smattering of Dim Sum (anything with shrimp from the little carts). Then of course the usual take out Chinese food, which I dearly love. So here I am relying heavily on Amazon's reviewers.

I have several Chinese cookbooks in my possession, but somehow they were so daunting, remember I am a complete novice in the Chinese food area, but always on the lookout for a cookbook to show me the way, truth & the light to putting something "Chinesy" on the table.

I pushed the "check out" button with some hesitation, thinking, is this the one or not?

Bee Yinn knows how to relate to those who are struggling with getting it "right" without having any prior experience in a Chinese cooking realm.

Basic overview of techniques & tricks, tools & utensils with pictures & brand names, always a good sign to look for. Absolutely love that picture of all the bottles of sauces, oils & vinegars...good to take along to an Asian market & point to the picture of the one I want. That way I will pick up exactly the one she recommends in the recipe, no picking up the wrong brand & getting something "similar but not exact". In an Asian market, we may not communicate real well, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Now we move on to the basics...really good starting point so you can get a feel as to what you will be doing with what.

I got to the appetizers, picked out Crispy Fried Won tons, simple ingredients, a note stating there are different sizes of won ton wrappers (who knew?) & we are off & running. She is more into technique pictures than showing a picture of every ingredient that will go into the recipe - my goodness how many times do we need to see a picture of a can of tomatoes or sack of flour?? If she calls for an unfamiliar ingredient, all I have to do is go back to the beginning of the book & there is a picture of what I will need to purchase.

This cookbook is definitely user friendly & now I think I will be saving mega bucks making my own favorites at home. And look at those Shrimp balls? (another pricey little gem at the restaurant) that is absolutely doable right at home. Just to show you what a green horn I am, I thought they were called "fuzzy shrimp balls". Whatever, the person pushing the cart knew what we wanted & now it is a reality for me to fix my own.

To all you novices out there who are timid & plain scared of trying to make Chinese dishes at home, go forth, push the "add to cart" button & save some money by making your own. I did it & I hope you will too.

Sure hope Bee Yinn is going to come up with "More Easy Chinese Recipes".

Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao
Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao by Bee Yinn Low (Hardcover - September 10, 2011)
$24.95 $14.47