5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but yet Powerfull
If your going to France or anywhere where English is not the primary language, you should at least pick up a book that will help you get by. I travel from time to time to Paris and I found it very useful to have. It is small enough to carry around.
Published on July 30, 2001 by Brian Huey

3.0 out of 5 stars Search Other Places
Published 23 months ago by 8888

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but yet Powerfull, July 30, 2001
Brian Huey (Kennesaw, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easy French Phrase Book: Over 750 Phrases for Everyday Use (Dover Language Guides French) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars French Phrase Book, September 19, 2009
Excellent traveler's tool: concise, lightweight, easy to fit in handbag or coat pocket. All of the basic subjects covered. Pronunciation guides easy to use. Helpful index. Bare-bones approach to help non-French-speakers communicate while traveling within French-speaking populations.

5.0 out of 5 stars neat little book & handy too, February 21, 2011
I especially like to phonetic pronunciation that goes along with standard French spelling of entry words. Also, the index at the back is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent phrase book, February 6, 2012
Shailah (Madison, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This book is surprisingly thin, but the content is helpful. If you don't know any French, this is the book for you. It provides some common phrases on a variety of subjects, and also includes pronunciation.

One note: This book was originally published in 1956, so some things may be out of date. For example, asking to develop a roll of film, and calling a waiter garçon. I've been told by my French teacher that it's rude to call waiters garçon nowadays (which means "boy"), so, be warned. As far as I can tell, though, everything else is accurate and simple.

This book doesn't teach you how to have a conversation with a French person. It teaches you how to say basic things (Such as "where is the train station," "how much does it cost," "thank you," etc.). This would probably be a particularly good book for tourists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the basics, October 4, 2012
Just returned from France. This book was a good value, and gave me a good base for interpreting some things. I found it somewhat lacking on menu terms - common ones are in here, but not enough to figure out what each basic component was (for example, toppings to be added to an omelet). It was easy to search when needed. I'm glad that I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, November 8, 2011
Valerie Norman (EL PASO, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
I love this book. French was not easy for me to anunciate so this book helped a lot to show how to. It shows the english word, the french word then the phonics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver...not in a literal sense, but in a general one., April 3, 2012
Amie (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews
I was not able to save a human being from the clutches of death, but I was able to order, request the check, and make very low level French conversation with Parisians while on vacation.

The book breaks it into settings, so you won't be too lost for the right page when you're in a hurry. I had no trouble being understood, and people were happy to hear me try, and then switch to English if they spoke it. Although the switch was probably because they would have given anything to stop hearing me butcher more of the beautiful language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic french phrase book., March 28, 2012
It worked for me. Basic French, was able to go shopping in Paris on my own with my very limited French. I really appreciate the pronunciation hints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Handy Little Book to Refresh my Memory!, May 20, 2012
This is a nice and handy book with "just enough" information! It also has a glossary, and a section on different scenarios, with different sub-headings; for example: "Restaurant", "Train Station", and more! Also handy: was a section of the most important words; for example: from, with, besides, next, there, here (basically, this book has all of those little words that we use all of the time). This book is light-weight --and I can see that it would help most people pronounce the words properly --and even have a great time --in France (or French speaking countries)! This book is small --but extremely well-organized!

3.0 out of 5 stars Search Other Places, October 4, 2012
This is a great book to have when learning french, but make sure to buy it somewhere else other than on amazon.com. The book originally is $2.00 and I got it on here for $4 because of shipping and everything. This book is slim and easy to understand but still lacks small essentials in fully understanding the language, so don't think to highly of it. I was somewhat disappointed.

Rate and Discover Movies