5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book for women's blouses, October 3, 2000
By A Customer
This book is very good but in my opinion it is not a reference book on blouses. I would recommend that someone read first a good book on shirts such as "Shirtmaking" by D.P. Coffin and then use this book to add details found usually in women's shirts and blouses.
The first three chapters are about choosing the right pattern and style, selecting fabrics and notions and fitting the pattern. Chapter 4 is focusing, among others, on: * Neckline Finishes (shaped facings, faced facings, bias facings and knit ribbing) * Sewing Collars (collars without a back facing, knitted collar, collars with a stand) * Sewing a Yoked Blouse (standard shirt yoke, blouse-type yoke which is worn mostly by women) * Sewing the Sleeves (flat-sleeve construction, round-sleeve construction) * Plackets (Continuous-lap sleeve placket, simplified sleeve opening) * Cuffs (standard cuff, no-cuff cuff) * Machine-Stitched Hems (turned and stitched hems, rolled hems) * Closures (hidden closure, buttonhole placement and size, sewing the buttons, gooks and eyes)
The instructions are clear and detailed, accompanied by many photographs and really helpful tips that I believe make this a very good book on blouses even for a beginner sewer. I sewed myself a blouse with a blouse-type yoke and used the technique for faced facings (the latter technique eliminates the need to finish the facings edge with a serger) and the bias-tricot bound seam to bind and finish the armhole. The results were very professional and my blouse looks as beautiful on the outside as on the inside! I highly recommend this book to any sewer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion to David Page Coffin's Shirtmaking, November 1, 2001
pitsam (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Currently my favorite sewing book. Make that my favorite book. It's very useful for sewing shirts as well as blouses. The most useful chapter is no.4, The Best Sewing Techniques. As opposed to Mr. Coffin's illustrations, (another excellent book) this one has very clear color photographs of each technique and it's various steps. Her techniques appear to come from the within the industry and should be part of any serious sewer's arsenal. The instructions are some of the clearest I've come across. Don't sew another yoked shirt/blouse until you've looked at the technique shown here. Ms. Long's work, shown as examples, is absolutely flawless. The beauty is in the crisp execution of details such as welt pockets and plackets. This book inspires me to improve and perfect my sewing skills towards that of Connie Long's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book!, April 5, 2003
meringue (Provo, UT United States) - See all my reviews
I can't say enough about Chapter 4 in this book, entitled, "The Best Sewing Techniques." I have already used this chapter to make a blouse. The author's instructions are SUPERIOR to those of pattern manufacturers. I've never taken a class on shirts/blouses and have always relied on the instructions included in a pattern. Not this time around! I used the author's detailed and very easy to understand instructions along with the beautifully detailed colored photos to construct a blouse just this week. The biggest difference in this shirt and others I've made is definitely the collar and facing. Makes you wonder why pattern companys don't let you in on these VERY EASY changes we can all make to make our blouses look tailored instead of homemade.

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative book, July 15, 2001
By A Customer
In 15 years of amateur home sewing, I've always avoided blouses because I could never make them look good. I'm looking forward to trying the techniques in this book. They seem to address exactly the problems I've always had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for the price, October 14, 2009
This is a very good book for knowing how to make a blouse. The examples are exquisite. I have read many, many books on making clothing and hints and this is by far one of the best. I am also a veteran sewer of 15+ years. If you haven't read this before, check it out at your library and if you want to make blouses, this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent info, October 20, 2013
This series of books is excellent for both beginners and avid sewers. I try to make certain I have everyone published in my library and purchase them for friends who are sewers as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will bring your sewing to a new level of quality., May 1, 2013
I checked this book out from the library, and found myself taking so many pictures of the information in it that I decided to purchase it to make it handy and easy to use. The instructions are well written and the photos are well done. There is a lot of really useful information in here that will increase the quality of my shirt making as well as my sewing in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT, February 5, 2014
Thank you very much for this wonderful book, the explanation, pictures all is very completed for beginers like me. Thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, May 21, 2013
It arrived on time and was in good shape. It had some good ideas.

You could probably check something similar out at the library but I wanted for a reference book to keep when I'm sewing,

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sewing Companion Library should be in everyones shelves., April 23, 2013
The Sewing Companion Library should be in everyones shelves. This set of how to books are invaluable and the EASY GUIDE TO SEWING LININGS is running at $100!!! Which is just stupid. I bought it as a download for $11, just keep looking on line.

But, with that said, I think I bought 9 out of the 10 books available and if you get them used you can get tham all for about $100 at most, which is well worth the money.

These books are great for the beginner to internediate sewer with lost of helpful information. I got back into sewing after decades of being away from a sewing machine and find myself using these all the time.

Easy Guide to Sewing Blouses
Easy Guide to Sewing Blouses by Connie Long (Paperback - May 1997)
Out of stock