Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Easy Heat HCA 30-Foot by 1/2-Inch Cold Weather Valve and Pipe Heating Cable Application Tape
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 1, 2012
This tape sticks to ITSELF much better than to copper pipe. The amount was ample for 15 feet of heat tape (I know it is confusing, but the heat tape is the black plastic covered heating element that this tape I am reviewing positions against the pipe to be heated). I applied it every six inches (sometimes 4 inches on pipe curves) and even had some left over.
This tape has a backing. This paper backing must be removed prior to applying the tape to the pipe. This can be tricky in a crawl space because you have to pull each tape section (precutting sections makes applying easier and can be done before you get in the crawl space) off the backing and then apply it to the pipe and heat tape with the heat tape firmly against the pipe. It's impossible to do that with gloves on (you need the gloves for the insulation application later on). Make sure you circle the tape over itself to make sure it won't lose it's grip.

Remember, the tape is the device that keeps your electrical element (heat tape) up against the pipe! If your heat tape has large gaps where it isn't touching properly, you will use more elctricity because it will take longer for the pipe to get to 45 degrees and the heat tape will wear out sooner because it's on more often. Don't skimp on applying this tape!
Finally, do some math on the length of your pipe and how many strips of tape to precut BEFORE you get in the crawl space. Take the tape sections and the rest of the tape and some scissors in a small plastic bag with you. Everything you can do before you get in there helps.
I'm 65 and was still sore for about three days after the job despite a lot of preplanning.
on November 22, 2013
Actually I see no point to this product except it warns others a heat tape is under the pipe wrap. It would take many rolls of this to secure the pipe wrap in place and removing the tape’s coating to expose the sticky side looked to be a hassle. One large roll of red electrical tape worked out fine for me. I never used this.
on October 16, 2013
I used this product under my house on the exposed water pipes. It was easy to apply and at this point it appears to stick to the water pipe quite well. The adhesive seems good. I used this to attach my new heating cable for my water supply line beneath the house.
on January 16, 2016
I used this tape according to the directions with the heating cord on pvc pipe. The very next morning I checked on the installation and the tape was falling off in almost every place I applied it. Use zip ties it works way better. Save your money on this.
on October 10, 2013
Last winter was very cold at our cabin and we lost a couple of copper lines to freeze. I was tired of spending the first day of my getaway changing lines and thawing frozen pipes. On advise of a plumber, I piped the cabin in PEX and insulated my exterior line with this heat tape and double insulation. We had a few freezing nights already and so far so good. Only time will tell how long this item lasts and how it will hold up to below zero temps. I'm was about 1/2 price from the local retail store. Thanks amazon prime!
on January 8, 2015
Great customer support. Lots of documentation on their web site. Pleased with their FreezeFree products. Never lived where things froze before.
on April 24, 2015
Not really useful as it would not stick well to pipes that were all ready cold.
on January 19, 2016
From the description I thought I was ordering tape to secure my heat cable but I would have been better off to simply use electrical tape. Easy to use and a lot less pricey for the product.
on January 15, 2015
kept the line ice free
on December 1, 2014
I lost almost $10.00 USD on this as I was under the impression that I was buying the electrical part, and not tape. Why? Because I was shown the package showing the wire, not the roll of to me useless tape to me. Maybe I am old fashioned but you used to buy the heating tape as a package that included the part that sticks to the pipe. You would wrap the whole unit of "heating tape" around the pipe and plug it into a socket and you were done. No extra measures.If I would have known that it would just be some very sticky tape that is not very wide to begin with that would not have even done a good job if you had the actual heating element with it, I would still probably not been satisfied with the tape that was sold to me. I would like to have my money back and purchase a real heating kit that includes the tape to tape it to a pipe. I am disabled and this took a few dollars out of my pocket that could have went for food, gas, heat, or medical expenses, so I am really not happy with the advertising to waste my time and money.