4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little underwater digital video camera.
Published on July 6, 2012 by BeepBoop

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment :(
I thought I was taking perfect videos because I followed the directions to a T. (And of course it was on my vacation). When I got home neither me or my husband could play anything back. He emailed the manufacturer and they never returned his plea for help. Too late to return it. Don't waste your money.
Published 9 months ago by Darla T. Schaefer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little underwater digital video camera., July 6, 2012
This review is from: Easy Shot Clip HD Diving Kit - Ultra Mini Digital Video Camera with 100ft Waterproof Housing and Mask Clip included. (Electronics)
I purchased this at the Boolchand's store while I was on vacation in Curaçao. For about $88.00 you get this little digital video camera that comes with a no name class 6 4GB microSDHC with a card case, microUSB to USB cord, 100 feet waterproof housing, clip mount for scuba/snorkel masks or other rubber-strapped goggles, and a wrist strap to keep the device from floating away.

The packaging is everyone's favorite nemesis: bubble packaging. Make sure you have a pocket knife or pair of scissors handy. There are three pieces of cardboard in it: the back with the specifications, the front that the camera and housing sits in front of and the box at the bottom which holds the microSDHC card, mounting clip and USB cord. There is a very short user's manual that'll tell you how to set up the device.

The device is about the size of my thumb from nail to knuckle and comes in two colors: neon orange (Makes it somewhat easier to find if you do happen to drop it somewhere.) and black. Standing it up vertically, it has one metallic-colored button on the top with an orange and a blue light encircling it (Now you're working with portals!) and a wrist strap loop behind the button, on the back is a clip for mounting the camera in a shirt pocket, on the front is the lens with a small microphone hole above it, on the left side is the microSD slot and at the bottom is the microUSB port with a small metallic-colored reset button to the right of it.

The waterproof housing, as stated above, is rated to up to 100 feet depths. Standing it up vertically, it has a porthole where the camera lens will look out through (The porthole has a UV filter lens.), a latched top that has an orange, spring-loaded button for turning the camera on and a small tube behind it for pressure stability(?), a black piece of rubber that goes around the inside of the opening for a tight seal, a black flip latch on the back to keep the the top secured, and a wrist strap loop on the back-right side of the top. The inside of the housing has grooves to guide the camera into place and keep it from moving around inside the capsule.

The mounting clip rotates 360 degrees. It has a latched loop with rubber teeth on the inside for securely holding the waterproof housing in place. The clip has hard plastic teeth on the inside to secure it to soft, plastic straps and it locks into place. I am a bit weary of clipping it onto my expensive scuba diving mask as the hard teeth might damage the straps. I would look into maybe an arm band to clip the mount onto, though if you're scuba diving your gear might come into view on the camera. Or maybe try rigging a piece of banding onto your mask that you can clip the mount onto.

The wrist strap is basically what you've dealt with before. Black braided cord with plastic ends, a black plastic bead to tighten the cord around your wrist, thin braided thread for threading through the loops on the waterproof housing or camera.

I've only used this device while snorkeling at most about 10 feet or so and scuba diving around 80-90 feet. I haven't had any issues with the housing so far. You'll definitely want to mount the camera instead of holding it while swimming around. Constant movement while holding it will make a video that'll probably make you sick watching it. Also it might take some practice to get the hang of how to aim your head or hand to get the video spot on instead of cutting off the bottom or top of what you're looking at.

The video is decent, though it does suffer when there is a lack of lighting. The microphone does pick up some sound while in the housing. If you make any sort of noise through your snorkel it'll pick it up, it'll pick up your breathing through the regulator and it'll pick up swishing noises from the water.

The lights surrounding the power/record button are pretty hard to see when the device is in its housing. You kind of have to shade the top of it with your hand to see if it's on or if it's recording. If you mount it on your mask you'll just have to practice powering it on and setting it to record. (You have to hold down the button for about three seconds to turn it on and then wait about three to five seconds before pressing it again to start it recording.)

I tried using a G.Skill 16GB Class 6 microSDHC, but either the device was having issues with the card or the recording speed to the card is terrible/flawed. I then tried a Team 32GB Class 4 microSDHC and that worked perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Camera!, February 7, 2013
I love this little thing. I've taken it diving to 60' a number of times, and it just keeps on ticking. Wonderful purchase. ***update: The battery for me lasts for about an hour, so it's enough to either leave on for one dive, or be selective when doing multiple dives and only turn it on when you want/need it. Still love the camera though and it's been going strong for many months and many dives so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money ad YouTube ready!, July 11, 2012
The value for money, ease of use and durability of the casing and the USB sized camera amazed me. Thsi was bought for me just before my last diving trip in the Carribean islands. After tirelessly musing through the extremely well/tightly packed product and reading the instructions I realised that I didn't need the instructions.

The device is a simple plug and play. When you plug the device into the PC/Laptop via USB it's act 'as' a USB drive. You simple copy (or cut n paste) your videos onto your machine from the device and your good to go. The device can certainly hold hours upon hours of video so no need to transfer video every single day unless you like me and likes to keep their dive video's neatly filed.

5.0 out of 5 stars neat gadget, May 17, 2012
Amazon Customer (Charleston, WV USA) - See all my reviews
I've taken it down 100 ft and so far no leaks. A remarkable video camera. The depth of field is such that everything is in focus especially above water The sound is even fair. Underwater it helps to have a light as the farther down you go the darker it gets. Seems to work best down to 50 to 60 feet. Kinda neat to record you dive from your mask point of view. The underwter housing has a built in UV filter so everything is not so blued out.
Battery lasts for hours and the video is in avi format.

All in all a neat toy. Makes a great spy camera with sound also.

1.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment :(, February 8, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working on the first day, February 7, 2014
Dok (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Tried the camera at home in the pool, worked fine, simple to operate, but it stopped recording on the first day underwater. Not sure why. Maybe was a faulty product. Too bad

1.0 out of 5 stars never worked, February 1, 2014
did not come with a memory card, and it would not charge... I ignored the other reviews and got junk.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat it for the price! Great for a noob diver like me., November 12, 2013
This little thing is fantastic! I took it diving over the weekend (max depth of 40 feet) and was surprised by the video quality. This is my first underwater camera... since I'd just dropped a ton of money on dive equipment, I didn't want to buy something right away that was too expensive. However, I don't see myself needing anything besides this for a while. I'm not sure how the filter works, but it does change over to the red filter once you reach a depth where the reds start to disappear.
It's a very simple device, but it's also easy to use. I turned it on before I started the dive... I wouldn't attempt to turn it on or off underwater, as others have said the light-up button is hard to see - especially through the case. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because of battery life. It lasted maybe an hour and a half. I'll be taking it down to the Dominican Republic next month and will update on how it does there when I have a deeper dive. I took some screen shots from the video here: [...]
At the bottom of the post, you can also see the whole video. I don't have editing software, so the whole video is up there. It starts on the surface where I started recording and goes underwater at about 1:20 in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value For Money, September 18, 2013
The product performed exactly as advertised with very good video results for the price paid. The video quality matched that of much higher priced underwater video cameras. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is the useability of the push button interface. The button is a bit tricky to depress and the timing has to be pretty accurate to start the recording. The only indicator is a ring of light that changes color when recording. This can be difficult to see in certain surface conditions and forget checking it by feel underwater. I usually just put it on before a dive and shut it down at the end of the dive when I surface. I've taken it down to 115ft with no leaks. As expected, the image gets a little darker the deeper you go due to the lens size but it is still very good quality video. This water conditions on the dives I used it on were very good, I have yet to test it in low visibility conditions but I suspect the only thing you would need to add would be additional lighting. This would be a 5 star product with no equal if they could make some sort of toggle switch to activate/deactivate it under water. As it is I still could find nothing to compare with the price to performance ratio.

--Update---several months later
I've used it quite a bit now and taken it down to 130ft several times with no issues. My only gripe is with the on/off button. You need to start this thing at the start of a dive with a large enough card and pray the battery lasts. On multi dives you're out of luck unless you have another one at hand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Clip, June 15, 2014
The clip for the snorkel mask opened and the camera with case is still lost somewhere in the great barrier reef. The camera itself was fine, but I'm still disappointed for all those lost memories on the awesome trip.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›