5.0 out of 5 stars IT JUST WORKS!
I don't even know where to begin, but THIS BOOK JUST WORKS!
It seems weird to read a book and "just quit", but that's what happened.
Trust me, it won't be "different for you"... it will work. Buy it.
I've read the hundreds of reviews on the last book's edition, and it inspired me to purchase this latest (2006) edition.
A friend of mine who quit (after...
Published on September 1, 2007 by Anastasia

3.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Guy Who Led Me Astray
Until recently, I was one of those hard-core smokers that Allen Carr used to describe himself as. I bought Allen's book last month (Ellen DeGeneres and Sir Anthony Hopkins convinced me) and it is definitely a labor of love. He was honest and forthright from his perspective and you can tell he's genuinely out to help people first. I think he really, really believes what he...
Published 14 months ago by Desert Diva

5.0 out of 5 stars IT JUST WORKS!, September 1, 2007
Anastasia (Chicago, IL.) - See all my reviews
I don't even know where to begin, but THIS BOOK JUST WORKS!
It seems weird to read a book and "just quit", but that's what happened.
Trust me, it won't be "different for you"... it will work. Buy it.
A friend of mine who quit (after reading to pg. 95 of this book...it took me longer, by the way) recommended it to me about 8 months ago.
It's taken me that long to buy the book because
I WAS AFRAID TO QUIT!
I mean, I'm 41 (just had a birthday)and I've been smoking for 25 years and I "like it" (or so I thought)!
I kind of didn't want to quit smoking, but thought I should.
I smoked for 25 years (that's plenty). ...At least one pack/day for 23 of those years. Of course, I stopped while pregnant (didn't have the urge, thank God) and slowly started again, only this time (for the last 3 years) it's only been 5 cigs./day (or more if I was "out" partying).

I bought the book and didn't really think I'd quit and wasn't really "ready" or anything and I started reading the book and it just happened anyway!
I smoked my last cigarette on Monday, August 13, 2007 (while I was still 40)! I just had a birthday... this was my gift to myself.
I know it's only been shy of three weeks, but it was pretty EASY! And, I know I'm done. You can just tell. (like when I met my husband, you "just know")

The first week was only very slightly bothersome, but I was EASILY able to talk myself out of it (surprisingly). I really shock myself. Honestly, it's an easy read and I'm sure you'll quit. Seriously.
I know your thinking, "It sounds good, but it probably won't work for me"
... I said THE SAME THING! AND IT WORKED! (I thought I was "different") Boo hoo.

I've been telling EVERYBODY!
The book says that if after reading it, you have any urge at all, whatsoever to smoke, then you should also read the larger book (which I'm doing, just for reinforcement)and you will never think about another smoke again (most people feel this way after reading the first one)
This is the second (very long) book: Allen Carr's "Only way to stop smoking permanently".

It's funny that it occassionally occurs to me that maybe I wasn't committed enough to quitting, when I read it, so it didn't work with just the one book.
It only took me one time to think, "I'll have just one more"
... how stupid!
I smoked for 25 YEARS, but one more was going to do it! HA!
I EASILY talked myself out of that one.

Additionally, I have never tried to quit, before. He says it's easier if you HAVE tried before, for some reason.

Also, it is VERY important to smoke while you're reading this book! (I didn't, enough, probably)
He actually tells you on a few occassions while reading to light up (if you're not, already).

My last cigarette was the one that he told me to light. I had just finished one about 20 minutes before and didn't really want another one but I lit it anyway, because he told me to. (I wanted to follow the directions exactly)
It did NOTHING for me.
I didn't even think when I tossed it in the fireplace that that was going to be my last one. Turns out, it just was. Probably this is best.
Funny, I remember my first one, too, and it was equally distasteful.
Interesting.

So, no. After 25 years of smoking, I don't really need another ONE to "make sure". Now, I could really care less.
It's so cool.
It is a little strange to me (the fact) that I haven't smoked in three weeks.
That's NEVER happened before (except when pregnant)!
I couldn't even imagine that, before.

I'd even smoke when I was so sick I didn't want to get out of bed or eat anything, let alone smoke.
But there I was, sitting at the fireplace, stuffed up and ache-y all over, puffing away. What a moron.
You're only laughing because you've done the same thing!
That's 'cause we're smokers and that's what smokers do. Pathetic, I know. But true.
I remember putting those "sick-time" cigarettes out and saying,
"That didn't really help anything", but at least I didn't go a whole day without smoking, that would be too weird. Crazy.

Read this book. Please read this book. Pretty please, read this book.
You'll be glad you did.

I am such an advocate now that I feel like running a stop smoking clinic. But I'm too busy, so I'm writing this for you.

Anyway, just get the book.
You'll really be glad you did, and so will your kids, your parents, your friends or anyone else you tell!

Sometimes I just tell strangers so that I can see the happy look on their faces and get compliments.
Smoking is the only thing that when you are doing it, you kind of wish you weren't and when you're not, you wished you were. ridiculous!

Every day since I quit has been a good day. I was literally giddy and bubbly the day I quit... and that's not really my personality.

I take deep breaths, now.. (because I can) and it feels SO good!

On occassion, I think of the act of smoking at different moments like getting into my car.
I would always light up if I was alone in my car, because I knew I could smoke there without getting any dirty looks. Sometimes, I would even try to hide it while driving... like when kids were in the car next to me, especially.

Now, I wouldn't say I "crave" a smoke, but there are still times when it occurs to me that I'd be smoking now, if I were a smoker. Like in my car or having a beer, etc. (this is why I'm reading the next book)
The difference is, I can EASILY talk myself out of it and in about 10 seconds, I forget about that thought and it literally "doesn't matter" anymore.
I don't care if people smoke around me, or if everyone in the room is.
You'll see.
It even works for "secret smokers"... those who say they've quit but then get up at 3:00 am and sneak outside for one or make up stupid errands to have an exuse to drive somewhere alone. (ridiculous, but true)
Those smokers are actually the ones who REALLY need this book, too!

I'm so thankful and indebted to Allen Carr (I wish he were alive to tell him, myself) for setting me free.
(He went from chain smoking 100 cigaretts/day to zero with NO PROBLEMS)!
So, see, he was worse than you!
(regretably, he died this year from lung cancer, by the way, but was able to enjoy many years as a non-smoker before he died)

I haven't told my parents yet, but I can't wait to see the excitement on their faces when I tell them.

Having a beautiful three year old daughter, myself, it just KILLS ME to imagine her with a cigarette in her mouth!

I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THAT TO MY MOM!

The best way I can rectify all those painful years they watched me, is to relieve them with the great news.
I can't wait.

Honestly, if I were any happier, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I want you to feel that way too.
Thanks for reading.
Anastasia

5.0 out of 5 stars Take Back Your Life & Health, & Rejoice in Your Freedom. You CAN Do This!, March 23, 2012
To All People Out There Who Want to Quit:
(And Even Those Who Simply Want to WANT To Quit)

I understand how it is, I really do. I want to try and help, even if it's something that you've heard a thousand times before. Yes, indeedy, I did have success with this book. I found out that I was pregnant with my first child on January 9, 2012. At age 24 I had been a pack-a-day smoker for almost 6 years. I enjoyed the ritual of taking some "me time" to reflect each day while enjoying a cigarette with an iced coffee. I liked smoking while driving in my car on a beautiful day. If I went out drinking for the night, I could kill a pack in a matter of a couple of hours, no problem. What I really *didn't* like was the disgusting ashtray-mouth the next morning, or, on other occasions, the feeling of panic that would set in if I only had one cigarette left, or, even worse, NONE left. If I was short on money, I'd get desperate, and try any way to get one. I also didn't like the stale taste in my mouth that would linger hours after smoking. I felt self-conscious whenever I spoke to someone really close-up, or when I kissed my boyfriend. I didn't like that when I went on vacation or went to visit someone, I would open my luggage and smell a rank ashtray smell radiating out. I'm sure these are all things you've experienced before.

What really helped me to quit for good (immediately and without regret, depression, or any *real* withdrawal problems) was the imagery in this book about the "Nicotine Monster". The idea that for the past 6 years of my life, I was carrying around this evil little parasite in my brain. He moved in to my brain and made himself comfortable the day that I smoked my first cigarette at a party my freshman year of college. From then on, every single time the Nicotine Monster got "hungry" (which, as time went on, became more and more frequently), he would whisper nasty little demands to my Subconscious Brain. To make sure that everything progressed the way he wanted, the Nicotine Monster would hold a knife to my Subconscious Brain's throat and say: "Subconscious Brain, you'd BETTER go tell Lindsay that she wants a cigarette. You'd better CONVINCE her that it would be a good idea to light up, RIGHT NOW". And my poor Subconscious Brain, fearing the worst, would have no choice but to pass along that insidious message that, repeated over and over and over throughout the years, would CONVINCE me that smoking was a good choice for me, that it made me feel better, that I LOVED it. And so it went. I became addicted. On those occasions that I ran low on cigarettes or didn't have money to buy a new pack, the Nicotine Monster would go BERSERK. He would rattle his cage, scream and shout, kick the walls, tear his hair out, and bombard my Subconscious Brain with some pretty awful threats. Again, Subconscious Brain would pass the urgent message along to my Conscious Mind, which caused me to get sweaty, nervous, desperate, panicky, and, well, act like a DRUG ADDICT. Which is exactly what I was.

When I read this in Allen Carr's book, it clicked for me. It made sense, and it made me realize cigarettes were NOT my friend; they were my keeper, my warden, my prison guard, whatever you want to call it. My smoking was not decreasing my stress, aiding my concentration, or giving special moments of "me-time"; rather, it was turning me into a slave to the Nicotine Monster in my brain. I realized that no matter how many times I tried to appease the Nicotine Monster, his demands would never stop. I realized that no matter how many hundreds of dollars I threw down the drain, or how many puffs I took, the Nicotine Monster would never, EVER be satisfied. At the same time, I knew that I, as a strong, capable, independent woman, COULD defeat this monster by STARVING it. Now that I knew how insidious, sneaky, and evil Nicotine Monster was, I knew how to outsmart it. I knew that every time I sensed the Nicotine Monster asking for its next fix, I would purposely ignore it. I would laugh in its face, call it pathetic, and smugly tell it that I was not going to feed it ever again. I would tell it that it would starve and die without its precious nicotine, and there was nothing to be done about it. I came to that realization immediately after reading Allen Carr's book. It was January 15, 2012 at 5:00 p.m.

THAT'S where the feelings of joy, triumph, and elation come from: the knowledge that you have figured it out. You see it clearly, and therefore you know how to beat it. You will not feel sad, you will not feel like you're giving up ANYTHING, you will not miss it, you will not crave it. You will jump for joy and thank your lucky stars that the cycle has been broken. You have quit. You have become a lifelong non-smoker.

Which brings me to my next point. Imagine that a year later, you're at a party and you see someone smoking. In a moment of poor judgment you think: "Hmmm, I bet one cigarette wouldn't hurt, just for old time's sake. I've been quit for a year now, so this'll just prove that I'm not longer addicted." You light up a cigarette for the first time in a year, take a puff, and as the smoke fills your lungs and is circulated throughout your bloodstream, the Nicotine Monster (dried-out, contracted, and crumpled in a pile of death in a dusty corner of your brain) suddenly SPRINGS to life with all its former vigor. "FINALLY!!!!" it says. "AFTER ALL THIS TIME, I'M ALIVE!! AHHH, PRECIOUS NICTOINE, MY BELOVED FOOD, YES! NOURISH ME ONCE AGAIN!!!!" Nicotine Monster does an evil, devilish victory dance on the floor of your brain, laughing manically and already planning ways to infiltrate your Conscious Mind once again and once again secure its front-row seat in your life.

DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU. You're better than that. You're stronger than that. Don't let some dead, dusty old punk-ass Nicotine Monster rob you of your freedom.

I know that got a little bit dramatic near the end there, but I really hope this is helpful to you in some way. Allen Carr has helped not only me, but also my father (who has been smoking 3 packs per day since 1968), my two brothers, my best friend, and my best friend's boyfriend. All of these people shared my same experience, and are now spreading the message to their own loved ones, friends, and anyone else who will listen. Good luck, stay strong, and remember why you are doing this. FEEL the power of your own brain, your own body, and REJOICE in your freedom. Peace to you and yours!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick A** book for those who REALLY want to stop smoking, October 8, 2003
Tatini Brown (Cook Islands, South Pacific) - See all my reviews
It was a Monday morning. Hungover. Broke. No cigarettes. This, I thought, was as good a time as any to start reading a book about giving up smoking.
Plunging bravely in, I got to chapter two within a matter of minutes.
"Follow all the instructions in this book," it advised as rule number one.
Rule number two? "Don't stop smoking until you've finished this book."
Damn. Blast. I had to drag myself back out of bed, shower, change, ring my editor for an advance, go to the bank, cash my cheque, buy a packet of cigarettes, all so I could give up smoking.
Except, as Allen Carr points out, I was not 'giving up' anything.
At the tender age of 38, I had been thinking about not smoking for two or three years. Visiting my neighbour, who happens to be the wife of our prime minister, I noticed she was not smoking.
"Nah, and haven't been for 14 months now."
Woh! Wasn't that really hard?
"No it was quite easy, really."
No way! How did you do it?
"Read a book."
Pause. Silence. Big breath.
Can I borrow it?
"Sure," says our first lady.
Three months later, after giving up on 19 June 2003, I still get nicotine pangs. Maybe as much as two or three times a day. This is good. In fact, this is incredible. The last time I tried to 'give up' I thought about cigarettes two to three THOUSAND times a day.
The rest of the time? No worries!
I feel like I've turned a corner on 19 years of fagging and there's no looking back. Mind you, my mother read the same book and is still having great difficulty. Problem is, she only 'gave up' because she had to spend time in hospital and was terrified at the thought of going through withdrawals. Now back in the real world, she has also been off the cigarettes for nearly three months.
The difference is that I thought about it for a long time and really wanted to stop smoking forever.
If you are one of those people, then read this book. Just don't stop until you finish it!
Yeah, it took me three weeks to read the book ... ;-) Take as long as you want!
ends

5.0 out of 5 stars I stopped smoking! No pain, no cravings and NO weight gain!, December 14, 2005
Janna Jansen (Waiheke Island, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I was very sceptical of this book, but read it after two of my friends read it and quit. I can tell you right now -it works. You quit without any cravings, any pain, any weight gain.

There is no sensationalism -nothing about lung cancer, strokes and the usual fear tactics used to try and stop people from smoking (hey -they don't work anyway!).

By the end of this book, something inside you will have shifted, you will throw away your cigarettes without a backwards glance -free at last, forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book changed my life, August 5, 2005
I still can't believe it, I don't usually buy self help books but I didn't want to smoke anymore and I thought "What's the worst that can happen?". So I ordered the book... as soon as I started reading I couldn't put it down. It really changed the way a saw myself as a smoker and the way I see other smokers now is totally different. The theory is very simple, at times one even wonders how come you didn't figure it out on your own, it so obvious, but somehow as smokers we are trapped and you can't see what you're doing. If you don't want to smoke anymore I totally recomend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADD ME TO THE LIST OF NON SMOKERS AFTER READING THIS BOOK!, January 30, 2013
Alexander (Rockville, MD) - See all my reviews
This book has changed my life. Believe me, I was very skeptical about a book helping me kick my intense addiction to nicotine. I WAS a confirmed smoker and was resigned to the fact that i would never be able to stop and probably die from an illness caused by my conscious decision to smoke. Even after a very serious health scare last year, i smoked, probably more than ever these past few months. I would intentionally schedule long flights with layovers long enough that i could exit the airport terminal and smoke a cigarette, or two, or three. That is how powerful my addition was. After numerous failed attempts, i decided that after 15 years of smoking, it was finally time. Again, i was pretty skeptical about a book being able to help me with the pain and agony of "quitting". Had it not been for the overwhelming positive reviews and the fact that this book cost less than a pack of cigarettes, i figured i had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Boy am I happy I did. The best decision i've ever made.

This book encourages you to continue to smoke while you read the book. I was so thrilled about this! I already had anxiety about quitting smoking, and that put me at ease. I read the book with an open mind. I think that is the key. Just go with it. Its like watching a movie. Suspend your disbelief. I blocked off a few hours on a sunday evening to read thru the entire book. By the time i finished the last page, not only was i completely at ease about "quitting" but i was overwhelming excited that i had finally smoked my last cigarette. It was less than an hour after i smoked my last cigarette, and I already knew that was the last cigarette i would ever smoke. Somehow i just knew.

On previous failed attempts, i would ENVY someone i saw smoking. This book has taught me to pity them. Smokers dont need your envy, they need your pity. What scared me most was the withdrawal. Previous failed attempts had AWFUL withdrawal symptoms. To the point where i could barely function as a human being. But for whatever reason, the withdrawal symptoms during this process were unnoticeable. The book consistently mentions that you can quit smoking and have no withdrawal symptoms at all. Everytime i read that, i would cringe because i knew the previous pain. But there is a hypnotic effect this book has on you, and it obviously works. So if you are scared of the withdrawal, DONT be. That was why i delayed quitting for so many years. Sure, did I have a couple cravings here or there, absolutely, but this book will teach you how to over-power those weak pathetic urges. That is a very powerful skill that i learned from this book. Nicotine addiction is not very chemically addictive, but entirely psychological. Proof? Why is it you can sleep thru an entire night without waking up for a smoke, yet you cannot go a few waking hours without lighting up? Intrigued? READ THIS BOOK. It will explain how to break your psychological dependence to nicotine.

I cant recommend this book enough. I am planning on buying several copies of this book to give out as presents to my friends who are still smoking. I think thats the best gift i could ever give.

Janna Jansen (Waiheke Island, New Zealand) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., January 2, 2005
It's a shame the amazon reviews are spread out among a number of different editions of the book. I recommend taking a look at the reviews for other editions, and at the (many) reviews on the amazon uk site. I read it on the recommendation of a friend, but judging from the number of positive reviews on the uk site, it looks like it works for most people. Anyway, here's mine:

The book's a bit silly, and some of the arguments are dodgy, but that doesn't seem to matter. It works, and it's surprisingly easy (it takes a _little_ will power, but not much). I know a couple of people who've read it--one quit, the other didn't. But it's not much of an investment, so you might as well try it. One bit of advice. Some people are more than ready to quit before they've finished the book, and have no doubt they'll succeed. But if, like me, you finish the book and still feel a little worried, don't be discouraged, it still seems to work even if you're not _completely_ confident of success.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Quit in 1 Day after 30 years of Smoking!!!, March 31, 2006
This book was amazing! He truly attacks the psychological "addiction" to nic sticks. I love that he wants you to keep smoking while you read the book...helps take away the "I told you so" mentality of most other programs. Be sure to go the chapter on "The Advantages of Smoking" you'll get a great laugh! I wish everyone who wants to quit total success with this method. I was a smoker for 30 years+ and at my worst was a 2-1/2 pack a day smoker. I've been smoke free now for 2 years...and had my share of personal tribulations during that time with no relapse to smoking!

Just remember the motto "there is no such thing as one...not one hit, not one cigarette, not one pack...if there were, noone would be addicted in the first place!" Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works if you are ready..., January 5, 2005
This book works. If you are truly ready to stop smoking, and you need that little extra 'nudge' to get you in the right direction. I read this book in a day (Sept 28, 2004). I haven't smoked in over 3 months. I know I won't start again. This book helped me change my perspective. I smoked for over 20 years. I am 37 now, and like everyone who smokes, have 'quit' hundreds of times. This book showed me once and for all, that instead of 'giving up' something that I really want to do, I am finally able to stop doing something that is in no way making my life better (In fact, smoking makes it worse). It sounds obvious, but if you smoke, you know what I mean. I would recommend this for someone who REALLY wants to quit and needs help getting started.

Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr (Paperback - 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01