Easy Strength could benefit a lot from just saying less.

Published on March 9, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to usual standard
Published on November 21, 2012 by WPJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Writing rambles and weaves, but the programs are really effective, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
Easy Strength could benefit a lot from just saying less.

The entire premise of the Easy Strength style of training is to do only what is essential to improve your strength and general fitness while devoting the majority of your time to improving in your chosen sport. The programs that John and Tsatsouline present are truly effective and backed up by some old-news physiology research that is VERY true, even now. However, they ramble and weave and dodge around the point for so long in the beginning, that it is difficult to stay committed to the story long enough to get to that content.

I understand from the foreword that the book was essentially a transcript of a strength & conditioning conversation between the authors, but that doesn't make for easy reading. While every story, every side note, and every bad joke is loosely connected to the topic, the whole book could stand to be condensed.

OR they could present the programs right away with a challenge: Read on to understand why this is so potent. I would give the book 3 stars for being a little irritating to read if the programs were not so spot-on: I have improved my strict pull-up count and 5min kettlebell snatch in just a few weeks of the basic Easy Strength program. Now I'm moving to Even Easier Strength and already know what kind of gains to expect.

Short version: the programs are so good and work so well, that you should absolutely get a copy, relax your nagging doubts, and build some strength, but you should probably borrow that copy from a friend and take notes on the programs because you won't want to dig through this thing again to find the treasure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to usual standard, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
I have a couple of Dan John publications; unfortunately this is the most disappointing. I still don't know how to 'do' easy strength - there is nothing more in here than is what is published in the articles already written on it, and readily available on the net or in Dan's earlier books. Similarly, the general strength work out is, almost word for word, a re-hash of what is on T-Nation and/or in is 'Mass made simple' book. As for Pavel's contribution -a lot of it seems like advertisements for his other publications. I assume that if you already own those, you will probably also find a lot of re-hashing.
Aside from these comments about content, I would have to agree with those earlier comments that this is an extremely difficult read and could have benefitted from a lot better editing.
Also, I wonder who the target audience is. Maybe if this was made clearer, there would be less negaitve comments.
I am sorry to have to write a review like this, because I like and highly recommend Dan John's "don't let go" and "mass made simple". In my view, though, if you own those, you don't need this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable resource for the strength advocate, November 13, 2011
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
If you are already familiar with the writings of Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline, then you know what to expect from this book - and it does not disappoint.

Easy Strength is not a "cookbook" style book on strength. The book is an in-depth discussion of Strength Training, and is best read with some background and experience in lifting and strength work. If you have read a lot of Pavel's and Dan's work in the past, many of the topics (and the excellent humor) will be familiar. The value of the work comes in the organization and breadth of the information, which gives an excellent framework on which to analyze one's own experience, and from there improve and grow as an athlete.

The book has valuable insights for coaches, athletes, or just excited amateurs like myself. I have read this once already, and will be going over it again with post-it flags and a highlighter.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Strength: A Systemic Education for Strength Coaches, February 6, 2012
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
There are few Coaches that transcend the profession of his/her craft into the value of life and purpose. Coach Dan John fits that mold. It takes years of befriending iron, chalk, and calluses, coupled with practical application and trench training to provide fellow Coaches with a simple recipe for "Easy Strength." Such a simple concept, but simple should not be confused with easy! Coach John brilliantly lays the foundation of decades worth of experience to provide the reader with a unique recipe, the recipe for "Easy Strength." "Easy Strength" is filled with countless gems of information and real world experience from a Coach who's walked the walk and blazed a path built on character, experience, passion and RESULTS! Without a doubt "Easy Strength" is one of the BEST strength and conditioning books I have read in the last ten years (post University)!

"Lift heavy, not hard", the "Prisoners Dilemma", "don't major in minors", the reverse S-curve of hypertrophy and the role of less is more are just several of the informational treasures that "Easy Strength" provides. Great Coaches and exceptional people can turn prospects into customers, and customers into evangelists. It is easy to see how much affect Coach John has had in my career as a Strength Coach! "Easy Strength" is so simple, yet so profound. It is a "must have" resource for strength coaches and personal trainers alike. Michelangelo said it best: "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing link for me., November 25, 2012
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
I know it sounds like hyperbole but this book gave me my life back. I was stalled in pursuit of my goals. If I pushed "hard enough" I would not be able to perform in life at 100%. I was seriously considering giving up strength training all together, reasoning that it was a lesser goal and if it affected my business and family it wasn't worth it. Enter Easy Strength. I started following the recommendations and immediately felt that I could live again. No irritability, no fatigue, no debilitating soreness. I had low expectations. I figured even if I just maintained my strength that'd be okay. After all I was only training 2 or 3 times a week for about 45 minutes. To my surprise and delight my strength soared! I have been making gains like a newb! I mean I've set several non-max PRs (read the book) in the first 2 months. And it has been so....well....EASY!

If you are an athlete or a coach Ithink you MUST read this. If you are a strength enthusiast, you must also. If strenght is your sport I.e. if you are a competitive strength athlete you will learn a lot and get a new perspective.

The book is not a "routine" where you "do this and don't ask question". This book is a philosophy based on science and experience that you use to design a program that meets YOUR goals. If you like to design your own programs,this book will give you guidelines to stay within.

Pavel gets 4 stars and Dan John gets 6. They average out to 5. Pavel like to throw out too much teaser information for his other works. I am fine with him marketing like crazy! BUT he withholds critical information that is relevant to the text in your hands. This isn't right. He puts in his "10 commandments" to do "Fast and loose" drills which he gives no slightest instruction on. A quick Google search shows a book with this title for a high fee. This is beyond "marketing" and materially affects the work you purchased.

Dan John.....I wish he was my coach! Love this man. So brilliant, so humble, so practical. He really drives his points home with experience and common sense. His whole intention seems to be to help the reader. He doesn't hold back. He is also very in touch with the real barriers to our progress: human nature. He anticipates you will be challenged mentally and emotionally to veer from his teachings and his admonitions tend to steel your resolve. This is done subtly, but directly. Its magic for your motivation.

Beyond the above "softer" points. The book is entirely practical. I have come back to it several times to tweek my routine and it really has been working! I don't know how someone could not love this book. If you read it and don't learn anything then shame on you for not writing it! Buy it, read it, use it and be strong.
My highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, If You're Willing to Put Thought Into It, May 21, 2013
J. Steinmann (Arlington, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Easy Strength is a collaborative work between Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline (referred to on the cover, and hereafter, as Pavel). It's odd, because despite both being very goal driven coaches, I'm not sure I could easily pin down the single goal or point of Easy Strength. Well, that's not true. I think, in some ways, Easy Strength can be summed up in Dan's adage that "the Goal is to keep the Goal the Goal." At the heart of the book, Easy Strength is about knowing why you're training, and then training for that particular purpose.

Part of my hesitation in ascribing a single purpose to Easy Strength comes from the unique way the book is formatted. Inspired by My Dinner With Andre (a movie I've never seen, but which features Wallace Shawn, apparently), the book is presented as an ongoing discussion between Dan and Pavel. The publisher even went so far as to use different fonts for each speaker, and to include a little head shot of each man next to the portions where each is "speaking". It's a bit gimmicky, but I found it easy and engaging enough to read. It helps that I enjoy both author's writing styles. I noted one reviewer on Amazon who seems irritated by Pavel's "Evil Russian" schtick. It's still his schtick. If it bothers you, move on.

The book is broken up into eight rather substantive chapters, starting with a discussion of Dan John's Quadrant model for sports (which I'm still wrangling with a bit), and then covering a variety of strength training topics, including (in no particular order here) the titular "Easy Strength" program, methods of assessment, armor-building, sport-specific training, plyometrics, and systematic education. I've probably forgotten some other stuff. There is a lot of information in here. Some chapters feature more of one author than the other, but both contribute a great deal overall.

The book is a mixture of philosophy, anecdote, research sharing, and program design. For those who like Pavel's work, the closest thing I can think of to this is Beyond Bodybuilding. It's not a single, simple program or equation for accomplishing a goal--it's a big box of information to dig through, think about, experiment with, and return to. I've already read the book twice, and am sure I'll be diving back in for more. As I mentioned earlier, Easy Strength has spawned a lot of good thoughts and ideas that I'll be writing more about in the future. I like that. When a book makes me think and write, I take it to be a sign that I did not waste my time reading it.

That said, while the book is great, it's not perfect. Some of the information, while excellent, is repeated verbatim from other works. I don't mean it's the same concept--I mean there are literally pages from Never Let Go that are duplicated in Easy Strength. Now, I like Never Let Go a lot, and the stuff that gets repeated is certainly valuable, but I did find it a little frustrating to realize I was reading the exact same paragraphs over again.

There's also just some sloppy formatting issues. Nothing that makes the book unreadable, but just annoying. I expect a little better from a professional publishing house.

So who is this book for? If you're a strength or fitness coach, I think the book is worth reading. If you're the kind of gym nerd who just likes reading and thinking about strength, the book is worth reading. Actually, if you are a coach of any sort, the book is worthwhile, both for helping guide your athlete's strength programs, and for some good ideas on coaching and learning.

However, like Beyond Bodybuilding, this book requires a bit of thought. If you want something with a single clearly laid out program, Easy Strength will not give it to you. Something like Enter the Kettlebell, Power to the People! : Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American , or any number of other books will fill your need just fine. If you want to think about the why's and wherefore's of training, then pick this up.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on strength out there, April 27, 2012
Benjamin Cooke (HEALDSBURG, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
After years of reading, studying, and having face to face conversations with both Pavel and Dan, I can honestly say that this is one of the best books on strength out there. Definitely an instant classic that uncomplicates what other have made complicated just so they can bloviate and act like they know more than others. Reading this book for me was enlightening, to say the least, and took questions that I used to have and made the puzzle pieces fit. I am excited for the release of Pavel and Dan's upcoming book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
What can you say about a book that's been written by two of the most well respected strength coaches in the world today. The fact that they also happen to be two of the best writers in this field makes this book a pleasure to read.
This book doesn't seem to be interested in being didactic and giving you exact programs to follow, but rather planting seeds for ideas on how you might approach your training.
Of course all their recommendations fall under a few bigger rules for successful training, but the authors let you figure that out as you go, so you actually learn from reading it, rather than just copying a given program.
A great book for anyone who is trying to balance strength training with another sport or activity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Know what you are getting, November 30, 2014
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
This book has a lot of great information given by two extremely knowledgable coaches.
BUT it is geared more toward competitive sport coaches and athletes rather than towards the individual seeking general strength and fitness information AND the format of the book makes this information hard to grasp. Dan John's part appears to mostly be excerpts of his articles and blogs edited in to fit this book's format. I haven't read enough of Pavel's work to make the same conclusion about his contribution.
This book is not a set specific instructions but a bunch of generalities that you are expected to narrow down to fit your needs. A certain base of knowledge is expected by the authors and the novice will occasionally get lost in the terminology and have to go to outside resources to catch up.
That being said, the book is an easy read and probably a fantastic resource if you need a strength and conditioning program to complement training for a competitive sport.
I enjoyed the book but it just wasn't quite what I expected or was looking for when I bought it. More diligent research on my part would have prevented that situation and I must say I do not regret the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for the strength enthusiast, November 24, 2014
This review is from: Easy Strength (Kindle Edition)
This was a great read with simple concepts that work. It's not about entertainment or how to transform your body in 21 days, but rather a systematic approach to building real, lasting strength in yourself or your athletes.

This is a how-to guide that you can use as a template to become the expert on you and your athletes. If you're looking for charts and exact numbers and percentages check out 5/3/1 or something similar. If your goal is to get stronger in the simplest, most stress-free way then this is for you.

I've been incorporating the methods and not only am I getting stronger weekly I'm not feeling burnt out as I used to. Rather than killing myself with crazy sessions I'm making it easy (see what I did there).

Easy Strength