Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Easy Way for Women to Stop Smoking: A Revolutionary Approach Using Allen Carr's Easyway™ Method
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 22, 2004
I didn't want to quit. I needed to quit. I bought the book and because I didn't want to quit I put it away until the cough was, quite simply, embarrassing. Then I thought, with this huge tug-of-war going on (I don't want to quit but I must quit for my health!), let's see if it's as easy as he says it is.
He deals first with the fear. I NEVER even tried to quit using 'willpower' before because of the fear. I was just too terrified of losing my friend, my companion, and all my coffee/cigarette rituals. He immediately acknowledged that we all think like that. But in fact we have invented these rituals as ceremonies for our next "hit".
He points out that we don't feel normal any more unless we're smoking because we are drug addicts and in a constant state of withdrawal that makes us feel empty and insecure and which can only be cured by another 'hit'. That nicotine, far from relaxing us in reality, actually makes us anxious because of what it does to the nervous system over time. But the 'hit' creates the illusion of relaxation because it's so much better than the feelings during withdrawal!
He points out a lot more and does it gently, rationally, entertainingly and never ONCE tries to scare us. And by the time I had finished the book I really was ready to jump to the other side of that proverbial line and say, "Yippee! I'm a non-smoker!"
This is key: you're supposed to smoke the whole time you read the book. So I'm sure a lot of people read really slooooowly. That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing. This is a book you want to literally live with for a few days, focus on it, re-read it again if you need to, and let it really sink in so it can change your thinking.
I am so thrilled about this method I called the UK clinic to see what it took to open one of Allen Carr's clinics in the US. I've researched and read a lot of other methods that emphasize the white-knuckling most people go through. This has got to be the BEST method on the market. Allen Carr does a number on your brain - he de-brainwashes you so you simply don't feel deprived when you quit and that means no white-knuckling!
This book is for women - he has others. Id read one of them. This method works!
11 comment| 349 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2005
I was very sceptical of this book, but read it after two of my friends read it and quit. I can tell you right now -it works. You quit without any cravings, any pain, any weight gain.

There is no sensationalism -nothing about lung cancer, strokes and the usual fear tactics used to try and stop people from smoking (hey -they don't work anyway!).

By the end of this book, something inside you will have shifted, you will throw away your cigarettes without a backwards glance -free at last, forever.
11 comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2006
Unbelievable. I was a skeptical, heavy smoker for more than 20 years, and I've been quit now for more than two months. I tried and did not quit with many other methods.

Allen's way WAS EASY. I swear. I've NEVER written a book review before, but felt compelled to share with others. In fact, I've even bought four other copies for friends.

I had no withdrawals, no regrets and no cravings. I kept the ideas he said to keep in mind, and like magic, I quit and loved every moment of it. He tought me how to be and think like a non-smoker again (as we all are born). It does feel more natural.

The key? Knowing, feeling and believing (which I found out was true) that being and feeling like a non-smoker, is waaaaaaaaaaay better than how I 'though' smoking made me feel (good). I can't explain any more than that, but it did change my thinking dramatically.

He takes the way we all as smokers 'think' about ourselves and our smoking, and turns quitting into a positive. Not the negative that most smokers who want to quit, think of it as. By the time you're half way through the book, you are joyful at the excitement you have at how great you're going to feel when you quit. And it just continues!

AND I DO FEEL GREAT.

HE HELPS YOU TO THINK DIFFERENTLY ABOUT QUITTING AND TAKES AWAY THE FEAR.

Go ahead, buy it. You will be elated that you did!
33 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2007
Edit: Just wanted to update, I've now been smoke-free for almost nine years. Thank you, Alan Carr! I couldn't have done it without you.

I was really addicted to cigarettes. A 20 year habit, and even though I'd desperately wanted to quit for years, each attempt ended in failure. The most I'd managed was just a few months, and that was during my first pregnancy. Three weeks after my daughter was born, I was back at it again. My subsequent pregnancies I tried to quit, but never made it more than a few days. My husband is a vehement non-smoker, and I was desperately ashamed of my habit, and yet the urge was just too strong.

Now in my late 30's, I knew I had to do something. If not for myself, then for my young children. My oldest really wanted me to quit. There was many a time I lectured her about not smoking, with a cigarette between my own fingers, using myself as an example of what not to do and explaining to her all the ways it had made, and was making, my life so much less than it could have been. My two youngest were starting to ask me questions that made me so guilty and uncomfortable, like "Mommy what's that?" and, "Can I put that in my mouth too?" And for our entire married life, I cringed everytime my husband kissed me because I knew he was totally repulsed by the lingering cigarette odor.

So finally I decided this was it. Sure, I'd decided that before, but this time I was more desperate than ever. I went to my doctor and got a prescription for Welbutrin. I knew from an earlier attempt that it did help. You're supposed to take the Welbutrin for two weeks before you quit. I used those two weeks to read Alan Carr's book. (Thank you, Amazon, for making these reviews available. I never would have bought this book had I not read so many great testimonials about it.)

What else can I say? The light bulb went on in my head in a major way! The only way to stop going through nicotine withdrawl was to quit smoking! Shocking, but true. Otherwise, my whole life was tied up in daily small battles with the "nicodemon": at the movies, out with my husband, in church, at family gatherings . . . the only way to be free of the torture of cigarettes was to give them up once and for all, and to realize that they were not helping me to relax, they were in effect keeping me at some level of tension every moment I didn't atively have one in my mouth!

This is my analogy, but it is exactly what Alan Carr explains. Smoking is like having a bad case of poison ivy. When you scratch it, it feels better for a minute, but in the long run you're only helping the poison ivy to spread. The only way to stop itching is to get rid of the poison ivy! And as long as you continue to scratch you will *never* get rid of the poison ivy! You've got to resist the urge to scratch and allow your body to heal. Then you can finally be free once and for all.

Once I really assimilated and believed that, along with many other equally startling revelations Mr. Carr explained, I ended up quitting before I had planned, and have remained smoke free for over 6 months. I am no longer a hypocrite or setting a bad example for my children, or blowing off questions I can't answer. And my husband is more than happy to kiss me now! ;-) Sure there are still times I want a cigarette, but thanks to reading Mr. Carr's book I can honestly say that I know I am happier and better off smoke-free than I ever was having even the most satisfying cigarette dangling out of my mouth. To bring back the poison ivy analogy: Remembering with fondness and longing how great that cigarette after dinner tasted is like remembering with fondness how good it felt to scratch that really itchy poison ivy! Sure it brought relief, but who in their right mind would want the torture of poison ivy just to experience the relief of scratching it? In order to truly enjoy a cigarette like you did when you were a non-smoker, you have to first get yourself re-addicted to nicotine. Otherwise, smoking is like scratching yourself when you're not itchy. Sure, maybe you could get some small (very small) pleasure from it, but at the risk--no--near *certainty*-- of your poison ivy coming back? No thank you!

I truly don't think I would have gotten to this point if it hadn't been for Allen Carr's Easy Way for Women to Stop Smoking.
on November 22, 2005
I had tried to quit smoking 5 times, in the 38 years I was an addict. My sister bought me this book, which I let sit on a shelf in my house for six months...I was afraid that if I read it, I would actually quit, and I just couldn't imagine life without cigarettes...

This book did it for me. It was easy to read, and I can tell you that it will work for anyone who reads it, follows the instructions, and understands what is being taught.

I do not crave cigarettes at all. Every time I had quit in the past, I would drink alcohol, and just HAVE to have a cigarette!

Not this time...I had three drinks the night I quit, and have had several more since then...the feeling of power and confidence is exhilarating, at the very least.

I will never smoke again, and I am loving every minute of it. If you get this book, and read it, as a smoker, you will be able to do the same thing...easily.
on August 6, 2005
It works!, May 23, 2004

Reviewer: lmb-stl "lmb-stl" (STL, MO United States) - See all my reviews

This book is for women - he has others. Read one of them! This method works!

I, Sharon, did not read this book, read the general Carr book. I did not want to give up smoking. Two years after my husband's lung was removed due to cancer, I decided I wanted to stop. I hated the thought.

My husband NEVER gave attitude about my smoking.

I needed something and this book was it. I read a book every two days. This book took me 3 months. But it did work.

I found cigarettes in my house recently and did not even think about smoking them. I always thought that if I found some I would smoke them rather than throw them away. They are still in the house but no temptation.

I do not know how to explain how this silly simple book works. I only think it has to do with the fact that I wanted to finally quit.

I gained 15 pounds, without increasing calories. Fasting doesn't work. His stuff about not gaining weight isn't true but I guess if I thought it was true I wouldn't have tried not smoking. There is nothing I have tried to stop this weight gain.

But as my husband said--"I have had scrawny chicken, I love plump chicken, but the thing I would hate is "dead chicken". I hope everyone who tries to stop smoking will have a such a wonderful cheerleader as my husband.
on October 19, 2004
I was one of these smokers that began socially smoking only to find myself hooked and not being able to quit which left me feeling extremely frustrated and angry. I tried lots of different methods (nicotine replacement therapy, cutting down, willpower) but everytime I would go back to smoking, feeling deflated and a failure.

A friend of mine then suggested this book. At first I thought "reading a book is going to be useless" but I was proved wrong. The book makes you see cigarettes in a different way so that you no longer feel dependent on them. It's like having a map to a maze so you can escape and I've not looked back.

I would highly recommend this book to anybody who wants to stop smoking.
on April 5, 2006
Everyone I talked to was skeptical that a book could help stop smoking. It really works!!!!!!! It's been almost 3 weeks, and I don't even really think about smoking. Cigarette smoke smelled bad to me within hours of stopping! It really works!!!
on September 29, 2011
I am a 37 year old Caucasian male who smoked about 25 cigarettes a day for 20 years. Disturbing to even say that. I meant to smoke until about 20 to "be cool," (this was the 90s dammit), then planned to definitely quit by 25, then meant to stop completely by 30, and next thing I knew, I was 37 and it was 20 years of tobacco love. At least there were some 3 week quits in there.

I successfully quit smoking with the "Easy Way to Stop Smoking," by Allen Carr, exactly 2 weeks ago. I have actually been praising the book to my friends who, undoubtedly, believed I was grasping at straws and would end up in another failed attempt. And yet instead I have converted, by accident, two other smokers who saw how easy it was for me to quit. I was very surprised myself.

I have tried to quit with the willpower method, Chantix, nicotine patches and gum, Zyban, auricular therapy, acupuncture, hypnotism, chewing sticks, and various other methods too disturbing to mention here. All involved nicotine substitutes.

The Easy Way to Quit Smoking worked because I let it brainwash me, and I applaud Mr. Carr posthumously! But to now have another book specifically geared towards women? Bizarre at best.

The method has nothing to do with gender or sex. It has nothing to do with the female vs the male brain, which although different, share the same affinity and poisoning by nicotine. There is no evidence that the female brain has any more nicotinic receptors than the male brain, and I say this as a board certified psychiatric NP. The brainwashing comes down to anti-brainwashing. Remove the original cigarette brainwashing and revel in quitting - what you WANT to do. But don't take it from me, he takes his time over the pages to get you to understand the concept.

Get the original. It's 2 bucks cheaper and it works. I smoked a pack a day since 1993 and I wish I'd found this then. At least I'm liberated now and quite happy about it. Not disappointed, not suffering, nothing. And I was "that person," that smoker that smoked constantly and couldn't give it up, angry, irritable, etc, without the smokes.

Try it, open up your brain, and ESCAPE what you know you want to escape. You can totally do it. I was very skeptical, I really was. I was you, actually, looking at reviews, thinking "Yeah, right," as I inhaled a deep, delicious tobacco drag and blew out, thinking, "I love it, but it's killing me."

Grasp at straws - spend 5-7 bucks, read the thing, read it again (I had to read it four times and actually ignore one of the statements which is contrary to my medical knowledge but still never helped me stop!), until you WANT to stop - after all, you didn't search for this or get the book for fun, but because you wanted to, and then stick to it.

No willpower. No suffering. You like it! You want to stop. You can't say, "I want to stop. I gotta stop. This is killing me," and then think, "God I want a cigarette!" Nope. Insane.

Get the original. Don't buy into this woman one. That makes me annoyed at the whole company, especially since Mr. Carr is gone. Makes me think of extra money for no reason.

Just get the original. You'll do it. Just like I did. And you'll LIKE it.
on September 23, 2004
Allen Carr's books on stopping smoking are hands down the best method ever no matter how many ways you've tried in the past. The absolute best thing about this is the fact that you don't give up anything at all!! If you are a die hard smoker......... this is for you! But, I'll warn you......... don't read the first couple of pages and think its nuts. Keep reading, read the entire book and enjoy your cigarettes while you read! The only thing I can say about these books....... amazing!!! Buy several and pass them on to friends or family. You'll wish you'd found these years ago!