Published on December 15, 2009 by I. IndieCDs

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information
It is good and helpful information. You need to also purchase the two books recommended by the CDs, as they refer to them often.
Save yourself some time and start directly with CD #3 for nutritional information, that way you will skip all the background and buildup on the material.
Published on December 8, 2010 by Nicole Newsom

5.0 out of 5 stars For Persons Who Are Serious About Being Responsible For Their Own Health, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
Eat For Health makes more sense than any other eating plan I have ever read about and over the years I have read more than my share. Some time ago I read about Calorie Restriction and how it is indeed the only proven thing to extend the longevity on one's life. (See calorierestriction dot org.) It involves restricting the number of calories that one eats but it also means that the calories you eat MUST be nutritious calories. Dr. Fuhrman takes this even further or at least makes it simple to apply. Using the information in his book all you need to do is make sure your diet includes an abundance of these nutrient rich foods. There is no need to count calories. If you stop eating the Standard American Diet [SAD] and adopt this nutrient dense way of eating you will at least greatly reduce your chances of ever developing heart disease, cancer, autoimmune diseases and who knows what else and you will not be overweight or be doomed to living your final years in physical pain and suffering from conditions like arthritis and type 2 diabetes etc.

I am in my 60s and I am 5 ft. 11 in. tall. In January of 2009 I was 205 pounds and decided it was time to lose a few pounds. I switched from eating what I thought was a very healthy diet which included avoiding junk like MSG and high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils and included seafood and almost never any dairy or red meat or poultry, to eating strictly vegan. I cut out the seafood and the cheese and eggs. I lost 12 pounds but could not lose anymore. In June I decided to drink a lot of grapefruit juice and sometimes had nothing but grapefruit juice all day and sometimes I would have one vegetarian meal. I did this for a couple of weeks and lost another 12 pounds but I was hungry all the time. Then I read Dr. Fuhrman's book, Eat To Live, which is quite similar to Eat For Health. I started following it, eating the nutrient dense foods and one helping of beans/legumes a day and no more than one serving of grains/starch a day. I literally stuffed myself. I would spend my entire one-hour lunch at work eating. I don't drink fruit juice anymore. I eat the fruit instead and lot's of it. By the end of August I had lost another 12 pounds, getting my weight down to 169. When I started on this journey I never really expected to reach this point but when I saw how easy it had become there was no reason not to. I went from a 38 inch waste to a 32 inch waist. This information is the key to losing weight in a healthy manner and the key to keeping it off and living a healthy life free of disease. Here it is now December and I haven't yet had the cold that I normally come down with in October or November every year. I am sure eating right is contributing to this fact.

The nice thing about Eat For Health is that it offers the reader more options. It is designed into 4 phases so that you can stop at any phase you wish or can move from one phase to the next whenever you choose to at your own pace. You don't have to give up on animal foods entirely. This does not require being a vegetarian or being a vegan but it does require being a nutritarian and greatly limiting the animal foods that you eat.

Eat For Health is beyond calorie restriction, better than The Rave Diet and Life Style and and makes Fit For Life look archaic. Don't get me wrong those are good books in themselves but not as good as what Dr. Fuhrman delivers. Dr. Fuhrman IS a medical doctor and a former world class athlete. He lives by the information in his books as does his family. He has the scientific backing and studies that support his approach and he makes more sense than anyone else out there. This is pure logic people. Are your ready for it?

Get the hard copies of the books [It is a 2 book set] and get the audio CD to listen to. That's what I recommend and that's what I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new information about what keeps us fat and how to change., December 15, 2009
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
I've read a lot about health, yet I still remain overweight. Why? Finally I feel I understand why from listening to Dr. Fuhrman's audio book. For those who aren't familiar with some health basics, Dr. Fuhrman dispells such myths that "dairy is good for you" and "you can't get enough protein from plant sources". He explains the importance of eating highly nutrient foods.

This book differs from Eat To Live in that it's more gradual in weening you off unhealthy foods and introducing fruits and veggies into your diet.

I was able to lose weight using the Eat to Live's drastic six weeks of optimal nutrient eating. The weight just fell off effortlessly. However, I feel I was only able to do this after recovering from a stomach flu. Earlier this year, I was so sick I couldn't keep water in my system what so ever. After listening to Eat for Health, I feel that sickness completely reset my hunger drive and removed all cravings.

Right after that stomach flu, I was able to eat large quantites of salad. In Eat for Health, Dr. Fuhrman explains toxic hunger. It's our salt cravings, our sweet tooth, and our need to eat all the time. When we aren't eating these empty calorie high salt high fat foods, our body starts to detox. It's this detox that makes us think we have hypoglycemia or that we are hungry. When we put more food in our mouth (usually more junk) it alleviates these symptoms. We forever think we are hungry. Technically we are still hungry since our body is desparte for nutrients, yet it's addicted to bad food.

Learning about that toxic hunger has taught me why I struggle to lose weight. I'm physically and emotionally addicted to bad food. Despite all the knowledge I have about what to eat, I feel this book has really prepared me for the detox my body will go through when I change my diet. Eventually, after I lost weight the first time using the Eat to Live principles, I gained it all back when bad food was introduced into my diet again. My addictions consumed me again (no pun intended).

Listening to Dr. Fuhrman speak has really motivated me. I'm slowly encorporating his suggestions. I highly recommend this audio book. His information will hopefully make the difference for me this time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Proof is in the Vegetables, January 1, 2012
Ruby Lewis (Canton, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
Two years I went on a holistic cruise on which Dr. Fuhrman was presenting along with many other speakers. I am 65 years old and have always eaten for comfort. The 1st night we decided we were not going to eat the recommended diet. However,when we went to change our seating, we were told we could eat anything we wanted, but, had to stay in our seats. Interestingly, we ate the diet that Dr. Fuhrman recommends or something close to it. That was almost two years ago. The claim on the cruise was that cancer could be prevented by eating correctly. So, I decided that I had had pre-cancerous colon polyps for about 12 years. If this diet works, I should expect that that will not be present when I have my next colonoscopy. This week, yesterday, I had my test. I was stunned when my gastroentrologist indicated that there were NO polyps of any nature. I can tell you that I intend to continue to eat lots of very healthy salads, beans and brown rice, and as many organic vegetables as are available. Kale is the most healthy of the vegetables. My health has been improving for a while. I intend to improve my physical movement and on the cruise did participate with two internationally known yoga instructors who taught us how to breathe beyond ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars CRYSTAL CLEAR, April 26, 2009
Duane F. Fortier "DUANE4TA" (Concord, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
I am always looking for CDs to listen to while I'm out on my walk. I enjoy someone just 'talking' to me...These are ver clear, concise, & EZ to understand, etc. I'm trying to refine my eating/living habits, & this is super-simple to help w/ that.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, January 31, 2012
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
The information presented was not what I expected. many of the foods that I thought were good for me modern science has proven to be bad for me. I've lost 30 lbs in 8 weeks and I never have to go hungry. Just stop eating what is bad and eat more of what is good.

Lost of actual scientific data to prove his points, not just a fad diet writen by a yoga instructor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Fuhrman is the best!, April 3, 2011
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
If you want to get and stay slim and healthy, Dr. Fuhrman is your guy! In the books and CDs Eat for Health, he leads his reader/listener step by step to a yummy, healthful eating style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
The information in here is superb. I sent my copy to my brother after he was diagnosed with MS. He completely embraced the info and now over 6 months later his latest doc report says no more MS. Truly we need to let our food be our "medicine." This CD teaches how and why.

5.0 out of 5 stars This program truly works for me, December 17, 2010
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
I have been able to share this program with a number of folks and also visit the web site. After 10 years of struggling to get healthy and feel great - I have finally found a program that works for me, and is simple, and saves me money too! I like having the CDs to share the program with new people and I use the books myself and have lots of highlights noted for reference.

connecting to the website and blog was also helpful and I did not feel abandoned, even as the author is achieving fame. Good stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information, December 8, 2010
Nicole Newsom (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth on becoming healthy, February 16, 2012
This review is from: Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) (Audio CD)
Wow, is this ever an eye opener. It's a great way to decipher the information, because you really have to listen to it over a number of times for it to sink in. Nevertheless, even applying just some it with the idea that you'll eventually get there is worthwhile. I started to feel better immediately and simply had more energy. This should be mandatory for every person in US.

Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged)
Eat For Health: The Mind Makeover (Unabridged) by Joel Fuhrman (Audio CD - April 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $48.72