Published on March 15, 2011 by CharityK

Published on January 26, 2012 by overtakenbyanap

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG...You GOTTA BUY THIS BOOK!!!! Hubby is Skinnier, and I have so much energy!, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Eat Free: No Gluten. No Sugar. No Guilt. (Hardcover-spiral)
I bought this book , because I am expecting my first baby, and want to change how I eat, and what I put into my body not only throughout my pregnancy but right on into breastfeeding, and beyond. I wanted to give the gift of health to my son - and hopefully give myself a gift of less colic and even less sleepless nights. :o)! Diabetes runs in my side of the family, as well as my husbands, also A.D.D runs in my husbands family, so by purchasing this book I was purchasing a little peace of mind for ourselves and our son as well, knowing a diet free of sugars and gluten greatly reduces symptoms and/or occurences of both.
When I first got the book, I popped it into my purse and headed to Costco, where I found the few grocery items the author, Rhiannon listed as needs to start baking and cooking sugar/gluten free. Talk about CONVENIENT ( there were only 5 items I didn't normally have in my pantry/fridge!)... The only thing I didn't find at Costco, was almond flour- which I knew I could find at whole foods, or the website she provided. The first day, I prepared (ahead for the next day) the Quiche Lorraine, which is one of my favorites. FUGGEDABOUTIT!It was AMAZING! I didn't miss anything at all- tasted like my own recipe, but better- and I felt no guilt eating it- had it for breakfast and lunch! my next thought was - okeee Lady, let's try something a little harder to recreate in a tasty way when it's sugar and gluten free- my favorite, any and all-DESSERTS!! I flipped to a page- and found the Cheesecake with Pecan crust- let's just say, I've made it twice already and have only had the book for a week. I made the second Cake for a baby shower, and had no leftovers to take home- usually that makes me happy- but I am telling you this cake is amazing, so I had hoped to take home a piece or two to eat during American Idol!!!
Of course, my pregnancy cravings kick in about 4pm everyday- and my main craving is peanut butter and chocolate anything, seperate or together, mostly together :)...usually I reach for a Reese's, but this time i decided to make and pack The peanut butter balls to work- OHHHH my sweet Lord! I ate 3...I know- not a smart thing to do- but well, smarter than eating 3 Reese's! Don't judge- they are pretty sinful. I could go on and on about this book!- There is a pasta dish- with spaghetti squash as the pasta substitute (I had never cooked with this squash) I immediately went to the store and bought 2 more squash to stock in my pantry...the recipe Faux Pasta Chicken is a keeper! The hubby had thirds!!!! The cookbook also introduced me to "Rhi-created.com", the Blog the cookbook's Writer and creator keeps, and I just think I LOVE her! Her stories about why each recipe is special to her and why she came up with them, is so relatable- I want to meet her! This is the BEST cookbook for healthy and AMAZING eats I have ever purchased, and it stays out on my countertop- I have used nothing else- since I received it. Every recipe has been soo quick and easy, and sooo delicious! Gives me time to do the things I really love in life-while preparing a nursery, and sleeping like most pregnant women do! It has been such an amazing buy! I feed my husband well and know he's taken care of, while I take care of me. He has lost weight eating this way, and I cant' wait to join him when our son arrives. I feel GREAT eating this way- I haven't missed the sugar or gluten at all!!! Seriously People, this is so worth it! THANKS RHIANNON!!! Wating on the NEXT book...I already bought 4 more for my friends and family- everyone deserves this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually tastes very good!, March 9, 2011
My wife and I like sugar and we aren't trying to give it up, but we wanted to have some healthy alternatives in our routine and this book provides such a wide variety of meals. I've eaten "sugar free" foods before and I thought they were near inedible. The recipes in this book, however, are more than just edible, they are delicious. The real test was getting my kids to eat them, which they did, and which they loved. Thanks Rhiannon for such an awesome alternative to healthy eating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Concern: Agave, September 30, 2011
I ordered this book and tried the very first recipe, Chili Relleno Bake, and it turned out well and tasty. I think there are some good recipes in the book and the author seems to be sincere. However I will not use agave. Regardless if it is organic or not, agave is sugar. I would much rather the author experiment with pure stevia that has no fillers such as sweetleaf stevia, etc. Stevia is a much better alternative than agave by far. I will have to re-figure how to make her recipes substituting stevia in place of the agave. It is a nice book with pictures. The author is absolutely on the right track using the almond flour by Honeyville. I have been using that for 2 years now and love it-a superior alternative to regular flour so that is nice since I am gluten-intolerant. The only thing that would be better is if their almond flour was organic as well. All in all I am enjoying the book and am glad I ordered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, May 31, 2011
I bought one copy to send to my parents - one of which is diabetic and other has celiac disease. After flipping through the book before giving it to them I promptly ordered another copy for my own family. None of the people in my home suffer from any dietary restrictions but the recipes were easy to follow and sounded delicious and the pictures were very appealing. After trying a few of the recipes, so far I'm very glad to have added this book to my kitchen and the recipes to our menu!

1.0 out of 5 stars Agave is NOT sugar free! She uses it in almost all her sweet and baked goods, January 26, 2012
I was disappointed. However good these recipes may be, my idea of sugar free is obviously not hers. Agave syrup is worse or equal to high fructose corn syrup, and is really bad for anyone trying to deal with hypoglycemia or diabetes. This is NOT safe for either group to assume that this is an alternative to sugar. I was hoping for a gluten free cookbook that used stevia or even Splenda. Returned for refund.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a no-sugar cookbook, September 6, 2012
G. J. G. (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
A real disappointment. I wish I had read the reviews before ordering it. Although no cane sugar is used, there is plenty of agave used. In other words, no sucrose, just lots of fructose. Refined fructose. Any sweetener which ends in -ose is a sugar. (Think maltose, dextrose, fructose) The title is a deception. Use of one of the artificial sweeteners or a non-sugar sweetener like stevia or xylitol would be closer to a "no sugar" product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy for All!!, March 7, 2011
Rhiannon Lawrence writes recipes for the everyday eater. Whether you are investigating a gluten free life-style, just started or have been doing it so long you know nothing different, EAT FREE makes it easy! With key ingredients through out the recipes, you'll find that Rhiannon makes the healthy life style of Gluten and sugar free, easy, yummy and fun. Tonight I made the Faux Pasta Chicken Pesto (page 53) and my family LOVED IT! I was hoping for left overs for lunch, but there was no chance. I just pulled the Coconut Cake (page 81) out of the over, and I cant wait to taste it. It smells outstanding!
Get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cookbook and Healthy Yummy Lifestyle!, March 7, 2011
This is an awesome cookbook for everybody! The recipes have variations for vegetarians as well as lots of outstanding meat eater dishes. Perfect for my dietarily challenged family.
And the desserts are as good, if not better, then the straight sugar dessert recipes out there. So go ahead and have two! Even my boy loves these desserts. Thank you Rhiannon Lawrence for bringing us this yumminess!

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE ENHANCING GIFT EVERYONE SHOULD OWN!!, April 21, 2011
A dear friend of mine is in dire need of a diet change due to serious health issues she is now dealing with. I immediately knew that "Eat Free" was a must have for her, without a doubt- I highly recommend this book to any person who is interested in enhancing their lives on every level!! I cant wait til I get my copy too!!! Thank you for creating such a life enhancing gift!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, March 8, 2011
An incredible gem of a cookbook for all kitchens! Rhiannon's health conscious and gluten free approach is fantastic and tastier than I ever thought possible.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Eat Free: No Gluten. No Sugar. No Guilt.
Eat Free: No Gluten. No Sugar. No Guilt. by Rhiannon Lawrence (Hardcover-spiral - March 8, 2011)
Used & New from: $3.72