on December 8, 2012
Sorry if/that this is a novel. I can't begin to express how grateful I am for stumbling upon the work of Matt Stone, and how startlingly different my live would have been had I not been so lucky as to encounter his blog and his books. The least I can do is share my story so more people will come into contact with his advice and turn their lives and health around.

I have had an unhealthy relationship with food since middle school, when despite being one of the tiniest students, I tried to eat as little as possible, giving away all of my food at lunch and insisting that my mom make me only half portions. I was embarrassed to eat in front of people and afraid of getting fat. This continued to high school where I proceeded to avoid eating, and ate only low-fat food, if I was eating.

I came to college and continued these habits but gained weight anyways...about 8-10 lbs. on my 5'5" 120lb body. I had great body composition but I was an idiot and felt that anything about 120 lbs. was disgusting so I FREAKED out, measuring and weighing my self daily, or even more than once daily. I plotted this all on graphs. I would break down and cry about how fat and gross I was about once a week. I avoided going out to social events because I knew I would have to either eat/drink or make an excuse not to do so. I had no social life and avoided by friends since I felt that I looked so awful.

I started doing CrossFit in which I made petty gains in strength since I wasn't eating. I ate even less, switching to paleo, which lead me eventually into a low and then zero carb diet. I was eating about 700 calories per day in only meat and (few) green vegetables and writing down everything (down to a 1/16 tsp.) in a food log which I viewed as my success or failure for the day. I read nutrition blogs incessantly looking for the newest things that would make me fat and ruin my health. I of course couldn't sustain this puritanical zeal 24/7 and engaged in sickening 5000 calorie binges that were far out of my control and way beyond what any normal person should eat.

I was freezing cold and had to sleep with 4 blankets and a space heater and wearing sweats (I live in California). My already thin hair fell out to the point that I had to wear hair extensions and hats. I had horrible mood swings and would break down crying for hours for no reason; I even saw a psychiatrist and started popping Clonazepam (Klonopin) for all the anxiety I was having. I tortured my boyfriend at the time with my absolutely psychotic behavior and bottomless need for reassurance. Interacting with me was like walking through a mine field and it completely ruined the relationship.

I got down to 120 lbs. but I wanted to go lower. My goal was around 110 lbs. but I'm sure I wouldn't have been happy there, since here I was at my old goal and I was definitely not happy. I felt as fat as ever, lost muscle and my hair, and my social life was bleak and nonexistent since I alienated all the people around me. My life had never been worse.

My turning point was when I read Matt's blog post entitled "Weight Fixation: "Waist" of Time." Not that I didn't do this all the time, but I broke down and cried. It really got to me and let me know how much I was destroying my life with my neurotic and self-destructive behavior. I went to the store and bought things that I haven't bought in years. Crazy things like bread, cheese, milk, and fruit that I would have NEVER touched. I became warm! And I had energy. My anxiety and depression ceased and my crying went from weekly to a few times a year--and at appropriate moments. Though I will say that my hair still sucks...but I guess it's the price I pay for the abuse I dolled out on my body.

I now eat like a normal person and never avoid people or food. My social life came back and YES I did gain weight, but to a point where it was healthy and NO it did not continue endlessly until I was bedridden and had my own show on TLC like I thought it would. I stopped weighing and measuring myself but I'd say that I look awesome, and I really believe it now. I'm probably around 135 lbs. with a nice amount of muscle and great boobs! They've gotten so much nicer. I'm nice and curvy and I appreciate my body. I of couse have my moments of doubt but I remind myself how much more happy and stable I am now, and also that basing life on looks is shallow and unfulfilling. We're all going to get old and wrinkly and I'd rather be loved for what is on the inside since that is what lasts a lifetime.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 2013
This book reads like it was written by a painfully smart junior high student.
I mean, really. It has some ideas that gave me pause, but there are so many grammatical errors, unnecessary vulgarities and a slight tone of condescension to detract from whatever good that can be found here. I can appreciate some good, raunchy dude humor as much as the next tomboy, but for the most part that gets put away while in nerd mode, (dealing with medicine, health, business, etc.) as it should be. A little unexpected errant joke is ok here or there, in this book it makes you wish you could tell him to tone it down or shut up!

Spoiler alert: the main premise here is that most people are suffering some degree of hyponatremia (literal "water intoxication" or overdilution of vital bodily fluids) and that causes a host of health problems, slow metabolism, icy hands/feet, to name just a few. The book professes that your blood needs to stay concentrated to perform optimally, your cells need only a certain level of hydration. Too much, and you literally "dilute" your system. Hyponatremia is extremely common in health nuts/endurance athletes (I knew that before reading this book), and it happens more easily than you may think, especially if you follow the "drink your body weight in water" propaganda ON TOP of eating foods containing a high volume of water. It gave me pause when he pointed out that this is virtually non-existent in animals, even those who live near water. I do agree with the author's observation that the public lives in a needless state of perpetual panic and obsession about hydration to the point of overdoing it. Stand-up comic Lewis Black says the same thing, but his take is 1,000 times more enjoyable to listen to than this author's. Though I did find myself amused at his comparison to those who are always seen with a water bottle in hand as abnormal as Linus' attachment to his blanket lol. The author says, basically, to drink only as necessary and when you do, make it as close to an isotonic solution as possible (meaning add sodium/glucose). Sodium/glucose are major components in blood. I've been waterlogging myself this entire time *slaps forehead*!

Overhydration to excess can be just as detrimental as DEhydration. Think about a big soup pot on a nice rolling boil. What happens when you drop a glassful of cold water in? The boil stops dead until the cold water catches up in temperature. What happens if you keep dropping in cup after cup of cold water before the rest of the soup has a chance to return to it's original temp? You've now got a giant, tepid mass of watery soup. That example illustrates a bit of what happens in your body. This almost never happens in animals. Why? Because they only drink when they're thirsty! Leave it to humans! Over-thinking everything, that is, when they're not getting led like sheep by "authorities" on how to eat/drink.

As for food, he advises that you stick to "warming" foods which pretty much comprise of the same solution of salt/sugar plus carbs, some fat/protein...although the foods he suggests you eat in the name of health (his sample daily menus) will really have you scratching your head. JUNK FOOD nearly all day? And he downplays vegetables ALMOST to the point of exclusion. Look down his list of suggested foods...If you follow that literally, you just might find yourself trading your local supermarket in for 7-11 for all your dietary needs. Horse poop!

However, I emphatically agree with his opinion on soy milk! Blecch! lol

After eating so much of his suggested foods long enough, don't be surprised if (while expecting your health to do a 180), you do a 360 into a whole new health problem: OVER-ACIDITY!

And he sort of loses steam around the end, when in the beginning he advises you to judge your progress by your thirst/feelings/pee...towards the end it gets more and more obscure, vaguely inferring that thirst/feelings/pee aren't really accurate gauges at all! Especially depending on your condition, and whether it's that far gone! Where does that leave you then? If you are to try his theory on yourself, I'd suggest you skip his Chez Quickie Mart-fare, and stick with the "cleanest" foods you can, meaning foods minimally processed, or least(or non)-manufactured if at all possible. If it had leaves or a face, or is a direct product from an organism that had roots or feet (or fins) at some point in it's life, there's nothing better on earth to eat.

He makes a good try at THEORY and using himself as a test subject, but we are all not him. So it may just leave you lost as to how to find your way out of your health problem other than subjecting yourself to the same trial and error he did on himself. Any progress in this manner would be extremely slow going, if not purely coincidental (THIS, btw, is what diet ads mean when they say "results not typical"). So what's the point of this book, then? Perhaps it was a way to release his theories and ideas out into the public, as no medical journal on earth would ever give him the time of day, particularly not with his manner of writing. Writers like him who have this much publicity are prime examples that this world is slowly sinking into an "Idiocracy".

The take-home message for me (from this book) is: reduce fluid consumption, drink ONLY when thirsty (Wow! Just seems crazy enough to work!) and that I don't consume enough salt (as confirmation. I kind of already knew that), keep an isotonic balance in all the foods/fluids I consume. The latter is really the keystone of this whole book and now I just saved you close to 9 bucks. You're welcome lol.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2012
As a licensed healthcare provider, I have seen too many patients who have ruined their health by trying to be "healthy." It seems people have lost their way. While there are some current trends back toward sanity and away from such lunacy as strict "paleo" diets, ketogenic diets (which might work well for a few but not for many), fruitarian diets, vegan diets, and other types of crazy, there are far too many people hurting themselves in their obsessive and neurotic search for health.

If you are on one of those diets and feel shitty, then guess what? You're not "de-toxing"; you don't need to go through a dozen or more "herxheimer die-offs"; You aren't in a 'transition' phase -- one that never seems to transition. You're killing yourself by being stupid.

Enter Matt Stone. I've read a fair amount on his site lately and have ordered a few of his e-books mainly because I think he's funny, he's a good synthesizer of knowledge, and he's on to something that few people (Ray Peat, etc) seem to get, which is this little secret: Metabolism is king.

It' s been my personal experience, so Matt's ideas match what I have seen in myself and in many of my patients.

Most of the dietary dogmas that are popular these days are sure-fire ways to send you into catabolic metabolic shutdown. It's no surprise that we have an epidemic of thyroid problems and people feeling just plain shitty.

Eat for Heat covers important information about how to keep your metabolic rate up. Matt is also one of the first people to really "get" the over-hydration crises and how American's have been screwing themselves by the whole "drink til you pee clear" nonsense and other "hydration" related dogma that has no historical precedent up until a few decades ago. Why this might not sound so groundbreaking, it really is. Between gross over consumption of water, calorie restricted diets, diets that restrict one or more of protein, fat, or carbohydrate, sugar avoidance, and other foolishness that simply wasn't on the map a half century or more ago, it's amazing that our sick culture isn't worse off than it is.

You will do yourself a service by checking out some of Matt's work.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2012
Revolutionary!! I have been following Matt Stone's research for nine months now and I must say that implementing the changes outlined in this book and his blog have been a boon for my overall health: chronic back pain eliminated (chiropractor amazed), pores closing, hair and nails growing like crazy, soft skin, no PMS, better concentration, better sleep etc., etc., etc. Heaven! Best of all, and specifically related to the information presented in this book, the elimination of stress and anxiety and an overarching feeling of calm. My husband now calls me Buddha and I am ecstatic to say the least, as things keep heating up. Last winter it would have been unthinkable to set the thermostat in the mid-sixties. Do your health and metabolism a big favor and check out this awesome book!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2012
I feel absolutely compelled to write a review about this book. I stumbled upon Matt Stone's research about 1.5 years ago when I was in a really bad place physically. I have kept in tune with his new discoveries, and have to say that every time I read his new material, dots connect and I move closer and closer to the great health I used to have when I was a teenager. Many of us these days seem to get caught in diet traps, promising us fantastic results. Well, they can have the very opposite effect, completely overriding the body's natural intuition. If you have dived into certain diets and have gotten new health problems, such as feeling cold, cold hand and feet, feeling dizzy and faint, even thinking you have some sort of candida or parasite making you feel unwell, you have to read Matt's research. Read it all if you can. It's extremely insightful and unbiased. Nothing has given me such answers to why I was feeling so horrible after diets who were supposed to give me my health back. Matt's advice has completely turned my health around, both physically and mentally. I completely eradicated feeling weak and cold, having fainting spells, feeling dizzy, extreme low energy, loose teeth, dry skin, daily headaches, nails all bumpy and not growing, hair falling out, having to go to the bathroom many times per night and in the day, feeling of extreme dehydration not to mention really bad anxiety that really crippled me and kept me from living my life. I now feel great most of the time, sleep very well, have awesome hair and nails, only feel weak when I get a little sick, which lasts at the maximum 2 days and I kick back into shape real fast. My anxiety is completely gone, something I thought I was going to have to live with my entire life. I have an amazing social life and joy for life that I thought I would never find again. Matt has unlocked many keys to a body that functions well, and can be much more simple than you think. The guidelines in this book make so much sense, and they are very easy to understand and follow. This book will only be a step in the right direction. It does not promise you anything unreasonable, and expecting a miracle from anything is naive and can get you in trouble. What this book does simply gives you tips on how to interpret the signs of your body to assist to function in the best way possible. I had to give it 5 stars because I have already experimented with what the book speaks of and can tell you that it works. I also had to give it 5 starts considering how this researcher has changed my life. I could write a lot more about the positive I have gotten out of Matt Stone's writings. I encourage you to read it and see how it could impact your well-being.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2012
One year ago Matt Stone saved my life. I have been an Epileptic for 26 years. I couldn't understand why after 26 years I was still having seizures and being on medication. Just so you get the point I have never had a driver's license, ever!!! I couldn't understand why I would get dizzy, lightheaded, or even felt like any moment I was going to "seize the day." Matt tells me you drink too much and eat too little, and I quickly responded "I don't want to get fat." I am a very stubborn person and didn't listen. One afternoon I ended up having a seizure, lucky enough there was someone there. So I started to listen to Matt, drink less and eat more. However I noticed a 2lb weight gain and I flipped out. So I did what any rational person would do, go Vegan!
Matt told me I needed a high calorie diet, with lots of salt, and to drink less. Did I listen? No... I lost a lot of weight, got sicker, colder, and I was about to be fired from my job. I was seeing bones in my body and I truly knew that I was going to have a seizure or I was going to die. I had no energy for anything. I couldn't move. Everyone told me this diet was healthy, so why do I feel like I am dying. I started collapsing in my apartment, and I knew it was time to give in and eat the FOOD. I gained 30lbs in a month and half, which to some is a lot, but put me back in normal body weight. Matt said I had done a lot of damage to my metabolism, and it would take a lot to fix it. I can say now I am no longer cold, can sleep through the night, no clear urine, body temp went up, and best news of all my seizures are gone to the point that I will be getting my very first driver's license next year at 34 years old!!! Better late than never.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2012
A refreshing read for anyone looking to improve their health whilst being liberated from dietary dogma. Highly recommended for those suffering from cold hands and feet, fatigue, sluggish thyroid, constipation, chronic infections and various other ailments. The advice laid out in this book is vastly different to that contained in most health books, on account of its simplicity. No strange ingredients or expensive supplements, no elimination of beloved foods and no radical lifestyle changes necessary. Just easy-to-implement principles which can produce fast and welcome changes to overall health and vitality.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2012
I stumbled across the writings of Matt Stone after falling prey to a few different diet philosophies and being sadly disappointed. I did a two week experiment as a vegan, followed by ten days of being paleo, all the while making sure I only ate whole foods. It was quite an eye opener. I know people say you have to spend at least 30 days on a diet to notice the real changes, but I noticed them right away. On the vegan/fasting diet I lost about 20 lbs in two weeks, but strangely my body composition (fat to muscle ratio) remained about the same and I never got my six pack even though I was approaching underweight for the first time in my life. Needless to say I was stoked to discover the paleo diet after that one. That very night I went out and ate a double bacon cheeseburger like I never had before. The next night I ate a giant steak and even though I was never a huge meat eater it was the best I'd ever had. I was stoked to have finally found the "holy grail" of diets. But I got tired of the food and started craving things that were not allowed like refined sugars and flour. Anyway, I actually found Matt's blog after doing a Google search for something like "paleo debunked" or "paleo bullshit." I was very skeptical at first because I had been deceived so many times by the diet industry and was losing faith that there were any honest people out there. After reading all of the articles on his intro page, his about me, and several others I was beginning to have some hope.

What makes Matt different is that he is not an overly egotistical PhD of nutrition with his own financially influenced views on how things ought to be. He is just a regular guy who happens to have a passion for understanding nutrition and telling sarcastic jokes with 80's references, and is using that passion to wade through the piles of BS to find the most accurate version of the truth. Not just for us, but for himself. When he finds new information he updates his philosophy instead of defending his previous stance to the death with counter studies that lead to massive confusion. These reasons alone makes him more of a trustworthy expert then anyone, in my opinion.

What makes this "diet," and I call it a diet because everything you eat is technically your diet, different is that it doesn't restrict certain foods. Rather, it encourages you to start making nutrition decisions based on something other than avoiding a nutrient that you think is bad for you, or how many calories you believe your body needs today. He offers up several methods that you can combine to figure out what you specifically need to become healthier, all based on your bodies biofeedback. That feedback by the way is a very tangible thing not abstract. Whether or not this version of health is the new "holy grail" of diets? Well, I think even Matt would agree that there is no be all end all for everyone. My experience is that I am no longer afraid of certain foods like refined sugar, flour, and other tastey no-no foods. I no longer fret about or over think my diet. Eating is now a simple and enjoyable experience, and I track my progress regularly for fun. I have definitely bought into his philosophy, and for better or worse, sink or sail I'm on the S.S. 180 Stone.

Overall, I think his book is a good read for its alternative viewpoint on health and nutrition. Matt is also pretty funny at times and definitely has a habit of making me laugh, but don't let him find out because he already finds himself too funny.

If you are skeptical about buying the book, I recommend reading the introduction articles on his blog and some others. He is pretty open with his information, which is actually another reason I trust him. I just choose to support his work by buying the book and reading all that information in a condensed easily digested state.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 7, 2012
I'm a licensed naturopathic physician. Let me tell you, using the information in this book will save you much time, effort, and unpleasantness in bouncing around either the conventional and/or alternative medical worlds.

Your blood is like a soup that needs to be seasoned just right. This book helps to teach you what to watch for so you don't screw up your "soup" by drinking too many fluids (which waters it down) or not seasoning it enough (with things like carbohydrates and salt). Don't think that my quick explanation right there gave away the whole book...there are even more concepts to grasp and use inside.

I've seen patients use the info in this book and have chronic health issues seem to just "go away" in the course of days. You can have this power too. Stop doing things that you just "think" you should do, like drinking too much water and not adding salt to your food, start listening to your body, and reap the benefits!!!

Garrett L. Smith NMD CSCS BS
Licensed Naturopathic Physician (AZ and WA)
[...]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2012
My history of following Matt Stone goes quite a ways back. In my early teenage years I progressively became somewhat overweight. I went a bit obsessive with losing weight and dabbled in, basically, anorexia for several months. Eventually, I considered that there was more to health than calories, and pursued further. My journey has led me through reading about many diets, and trying several of them. I've tried gluten free, raw foods (for one whole year!), FDA-recommended low calorie, lots of meat, little bit of meat, Weston A. Price, and many I'm forgetting about.

The point is, when something is wrong in your body in one way or another, you can usually tell. What's hard to tell, is what good you can do about it. The most dangerous thing you can do is do what I did. Compulsively obsess about every minute detail and try to put every piece together without even a basic understanding of human biology. This is both mentally draining and is very stressful, which raises cortisol levels -- not normally a good thing in and of itself.

Searching about fructose malabsorption, I stumbled upon Matt Stone's blog. I became hooked on his writing and went through his numerous posts. In a nutshell, Matt Stone is a smart guy passionate about health, who has an uncompromising pursuit of the truths around it. And he doesn't tell you "Don't eat that!" "Eat this!", which is absolutely different of what I've normally read. He encourages light-heartedness and not sweating the little things. In his pursuit, he has leaned in slightly different directions for what recipies spell good health, although his understanding of what true health is has remained mostly the same. His beliefs have only minorly changed because he researches so heavily and actively communicates with the health community around him as to what works and what doesn't for each person. Matt actively experiements on himself to experience things directly quite often and blogs about the experience.

Frankly, you shouldn't buy just this one ebook. You should read as much of his blog as you can fit, and probably get more books of his on digestion and metabolism, at the very least. Everything I've learned from him has been countlessly more useful than what I've read elsewhere, and I have read a *lot* in the field of health. This book is probably the easiest and most drastically changing of the bunch, and I recommend it whole-heartedly over any other health book.

I was recovering from my raw foods diet when I found Matt Stone's blog. After progressively following his advice more and more, my body and mind drastically changed. It took a while, but that's usually what it takes for your body to adapt to actually being healthy. And his advice is sustainable, not like starvation diets or abnormal dietary restrictions. When I was recovering, I was extremely skinny -- lowest point was 142lbs at 6'1" or so (young male with a medium build). So yes, eating more (among other things) and following his advice, I did gain weight as I needed to. But it was good weight. I ended up looking better at 165+ lbs than I did at lower weights, which was funny to find. The end result is that I settled around 170-175lbs and have been stuck there. I worked a second shift computer job eating 10 potatoes mashed in a stick of butter every day for almost two years, and was the only person in the company who actually lost weight while there. So I went from bloated, tired, lethargic, and easily weight gaining, to losing weight eating my favorite foods in large amounts without working out! (Not that I completely recommend that combination, however!)

But anyways, that's enough on the topic. The point is, I am very grateful for his research. I honestly have not read up nearly as much on health these days because I am healthy. I feel healthy, it's just inside me. I am a stronger person, more stable, more muscle, and I don't worry like I used to. I don't worry if salt, sugar, or certain meats will make me bloated or fat. I know that I'll probably be just fine, which is an amazing feeling after the utter paranoia which I used to have.

Back to the book at hand. Regarding Eat for Heat, even though I've been following Matt for a while, was very new to me. It's a completely different topic and field than just about any health resource I've seen. It has more to do with liquids than food, and simply talks about salt/sugar/mineral balances in the body and maintaining yourself at the right level. It's presented in a humorous and simple format, with some sciencey bits thrown in for good measure. But, the bottom line is that I've tried what he's said (in a nutshell, keeping your urine yellow at all times), and my hands have been warmer, my mood better, and my metabolism just seems higher.

The book is brief, but is absolutely worth every penny. You'll quickly gain your money back in lower heating bills and better sleep.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...