Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 27, 2005
When I first started reading Eat To Live I had doubts about my ability to follow its advice. By the time I finished the book I knew I had no other choice but to follow Dr. Fuhrman's advice. I have been eating to live for 10 months now and have read the book three times. It has changed my life, I have lost 40 pounds, reduced my blood pressure so I no longer take medication, increased my energy, and I am generally a happier person than I was before Eat To Live. If you care about your long-term health you will read this book and follow its advice.
33 comments|359 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2004
Rather than repeat many of the reviewers of this book, I simply want to add this book has the potential change one's life. I read that in one of the reviews before I bought this book, and I though that's rather silly, it's almost sad that a diet book can change someone's life.
Six months later, I now wholeheartedly agree. My girlfriend is now completely vegetarian and I eat meat only one or twice a week. Prior to this I would eat meat once or twice a day. If you told me six months ago that in half a year I would be for all intent and purpose be a vegetarian, I would have laughed and said that's impossible. I like to workout a lot, where will I get my protein from.
Well, I still workout a lot and I get most of my protein from soy products. I've managed to maintain my muscle and still loose 30 pounds, most of it coming off in the first couple months. My girlfriend has lost a similar amount.
It's worth mentioning that Dr. Fuhrman's diet is pretty strict, and it's a very dramatic change coming over from the typical American diet. He talks about making the commitment, and that's very important, but I think it's also important to be realistic and realize that it may take a while to fully adopt all of the eating habits he proposes. Even now, while others probably think all I eat is rabbit-food, I realize that we still not following his diet perfectly. We'll have buns with our black bean burgers, but just try to make sure they're not refined. And I'm not too concerned about it. The weight is staying off and we feel great.
So do yourself a favor and buy this book. While you're at it, buy your loved ones all a copy too, as I've recently started doing. If the thought of being a vegetarian scares you, don't let it. Dr. Fuhrman offers plenty of recipes with meat in them, so you'll have plenty to eat, and you might be surprised to see that it's possible to really go without meat in your diet. You'll also sleep better at night (and probably live longer) knowing that the stuff you're putting in your body is a lot better than all of your friends who are on Atkins or the South Beach diet.
11 comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2011
This book has changed my life. What he says about eating is what I have been looking for as far as doctors are concerned. I knew some one had the truth. I am so tired of our health being controlled by industry and people are dying while most doctors are saying "genetics". This book expells that myth. I have lost seventy-five pounds 280 to 205. I feel dam good. This is now the way I eat.
Harry
66 comments|426 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2004
To lose weight, keep it off, and live a long and healthy life, we must consume fewer calories. The big question always is then, how to do that and still feel satisfied? You'll learn in Dr. Fuhrman's book that the answer is filling your diet with the most nutrient dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, and beans, which tend to be very low in calories vs. their physical bulk. With these foods, your body's nutrient requirements are met very quickly, therefore controlling hunger. Also, you can eat large volumes of food, feel very satisfied, and still not consume too many calories. Along with losing weight, a host of other benefits come along with this way of eating, such as seeing diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and many cancer risks melt away.
As people continue to look for easy answers and get suckered into gimmicky diets like Atkins and South Beach, it's refreshing to read a book which reinforces repeatedly proven dietary advice we've all heard for years. That eating large quantities of fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts promote health and longevity. Dr. Fuhrman takes it much further and masterfully shows you how that principle can be optimized to live a long and healthy life.
This is 100% pure evidence based science. Read the book and cross reference the information to medical journals and medical search engines. Unlike Atkins and South Beach, there is no disputing the information Dr. Fuhrman presents. Don't gamble with your health! Although the low-carb diets out there are correct about eliminating unhealthy carbohydrates, many other parts of those diets have mounds of evidence against them. Why take the risk? I don't understand why people impulsively follow such gimmicky diets and potentially put their health at risk. Losing weight is one thing; losing weight and being healthy is another.
Dr. Fuhrman doesn't try to sell books by telling you what you want to hear, he tells you what you NEED to hear. I won't kid you, it is not easy to make these changes if you have been following the standard American diet for many years. Poor food choices surround you and you must learn to prepare and eat foods in a way that is unfamiliar to most Americans. You have to be patient and be persistent. I love eating this way now and the rewards are great. Personally, I have lost just over 30lbs following the advice in Eat to Live. I have also reversed my diabetes and no longer require any medication.
44 comments|476 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A CANCER SURGEON FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS AND LEGIONS OF PATIENTS UNDER MY CARE HAVE ASKED: "DOCTOR, WHAT DO I EAT NOW THAT I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER?" THE REAL QUESTION THEY WERE ASKING WAS THE FOLLOWING:"DOCTOR, HOW DO I USE FOOD TO HELP REGAIN MY HEALTH.?" INTUITIVELY, I KNEW THAT FOOD WAS MEDICINE BUT WANTED SUPPORTIVE INFORMATION THAT HAD UNDERGONE RIGOROUS SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTATION AND WAS "NEW AGE" IN ITS PERSPECTIVE AND PASSION. MY READINGS SPANNED THE GAMUT FROM THE DOGMATIC ANECDOTAL ACCOUNTS OF SELF-HEALED EVANGELISTS AND RAW FOODISTS TO THE WRITINGS OF INFLEXIBLE, PEDANTIC LABORATORY SCIENTISTS. STILL I WAS UNFULFILLED. FINALLY, I FOUND DR. JOEL FUHRMAN'S BOOK, 'EAT TO LIVE', AND IMMEDIATELY KNEW I WAS IN A SACRED AVANTE GARDE STREAM OF INFORMATION REGARDING FOOD AND CHRONIC DEGENERATIVE DISEASES. SIMPLY AN AWESOME PIECE OF WORK, WHICH FILLS THE GAP BETWEEN IVORY TOWER-BASED NUTRITION RESEARCH, WHICH IS DIFFICULT FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON TO UNDERSTAND, AND THE UNSUBSTANTIATED CLAIMS OF "NEW AGE" PROPONENTS OF NUTRITION. FOR ME, THIS IS A BOOK THAT DROPPED OUT OF HEAVEN.
GROESBECK PARHAM, M.D.
PROFESSOR, DIVISION OF GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY AND PREVENTIVE MEDICINE
AVON SCHOLAR FOR CANCER CONTROL
UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA COMPREHENSIVE CANCER CENTER
1313 comments|245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2011
I've been reading tons of health books lately and researching plant-based diets via the web. "Eat to Live" is by far the best book on nutrition I've found. It is so worthwhile, I'm even willing to write a review!

If you're even remotely interested in maintaining your health for a vibrant lifestyle, this book is a must-read. If you've failed on every other diet for weight loss, this book offers the most hope and healthiest approach yet! If you're struggling with climbing cholesterol and blood pressure, implementing the ideas in this book can reduce them.

Although I highly recommend reading (1) "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell to understand the science-supported perils of meat and dairy and (2) "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell B. Esselstyn to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system, "Eat to Live" brings it all together. This book brings the concept of nutrient density into the picture for achieving optimum health. Without focusing on counting calories or eliminating food groups, you learn how to reach your optimum health and weight without feeling hungry or deprived.

For the first time since menopause hit (I'm 54 years old), I've been able to shed those hard to lose pounds, the ones that crept up after 45, the stubborn pounds that stayed put no matter what I tried. Using this book's advice, I gradually added more and more nutrient-dense food and eliminated nutrient-poor choices. The better I became at this, the more weight just fell off and the more vibrant I felt. Now I focus on keeping a high-raw diet (50-60% raw??) which allows me to eat as much as I want all day while maintaining my optimum weight. My cholesterol, which used to be very low and climbed to 202 during the last decade, has fallen back down to 145!

In just 5 months of using this book's principles, my husband also lost 10 lbs. and has reached his ideal weight - without even trying to lose. We were simply seeking to improve our nutrition enough to reduce his cholesterol and blood pressure, so the weight loss was a very nice bonus. His blood pressure is down to a very healthy level and the cholesterol is slowly falling (very high cholesterol runs in his family).

How do we do it? Using some of the book's suggestions, we typically start with a huge veggie/fruit smoothie plus a bowl of hot grain cereal (oat & buckwheat groats) breakfast, homemade black bean dip with fresh veggies on a sandwich plus fruit for lunch, and a hot veggie-loaded soup or savory beans over rice with salad for dinner. Snacks include carrot sticks and cinnamon apple slices. Fresh veggies and fruit are ALWAYS brought along when we travel. We eat no meat or dairy at home, but don't fret about eating some as guests in other homes and at vegetable-challenged restaurants.

I wish we had known the information in this book decades ago. I honestly wish this book was required reading in our schools so people at least have the knowledge to eat healthily if they choose to do so. I wish you all the best with YOUR health journey!
88 comments|167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2004
Starting October 26 and ending December 7:

Total cholesterol from 263 to 189

Triglycerides from 152 to 82

HDL from 47 to 45

LDL from 186 to 128

weight(lbs) from 201 to 189
33 comments|235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2012
Everybody knows you should eat more fruits & vegetables. But this book covers so much information as to WHY, it is extremely convincing and I started changing my eating habits immediately. I am in my early 30's and a normal weight but I felt physically awful all the time. I was convinced I had chronic fatigue syndrome. Sleep did not refresh me, even though I could easily sleep 10, 12 or more hours. I had heart palpitations and my resting heart rate was 100, and it always felt as though it was racing/pounding. I was always depressed or anxious. After reading this book I realized that I was not providing my body with nutrients. I hardly ever ate fruits or vegetables. Even though I have not followed the diet strictly (still having cream & sugar in coffee, some bread or pasta, etc) I did start eating more veggies, fruits (green smoothies), beans and nuts. I started feeling better IMMEDIATELY. Within a week, my resting heart rate dropped to 80 and I didn't feel it pounding anymore. This past week, I was doing well on only 6 hours of sleep per night and had lots of energy for life & exercise. I've been able to start jogging again. I've never felt happier in my life - I don't feel depressed or anxious at all. It's a revolutionary idea that you don't have to endure heart disease & cancer as you get older. If the pharmaceutical companies came up with a preventative that could prevent cancer AND heart disease AND type2 diabetes with 90% efficacy, wouldn't that be the the biggest-selling medicine ever? Well, it already exists... it's FOOD! I am looking forward to a lifetime of excellent health! Everything in this book just makes so much sense. I've started buying copies for friends and family because I want everyone to know about this. It's not complicated, it's a very simple way of eating; I'm not a super cook and I am finding it quite easy. It's true what Dr. Furhman says that your tastes will actually change and you will enjoy eating nutritious food. I used to dread having a salad for lunch (boring!) but now I look forward to it... my mouth starts watering at the thought of eating a fruit... your tastes WILL change, if you give it a chance. It feels great. I highly, highly recommend this book.

EDITED TO ADD 8/4/13: More proof that it works: in January my fiance finally went to the doctor for his first check-up in 15 years. He has already been vegetarian for 20+ years, so he was surprise to find that he had really high cholesterol. The doctor wanted to put him on medication. Instead, he agreed to try Eating To Live. I theorized that it was the eggs and cheese he ate, plus processed vegetarian foods (like fake bacon, fake hot dogs, etc.) He cut out the dairy and we followed the guidelines as best we could... except, we still had cheat meals on the weekend, and we eat store-bought hummus which has oil in it. Even still, three months later he got blood drawn again, and his cholesterol had dropped nearly a HUNDRED points! He fixed this issue in just three months with food, no medication. When our families heard this, they suddenly became more interested in reading Eat To Live. Read it! Get it through your library system if you can't afford to buy it new!
11 comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2007
My husband and I started this diet four months ago after failing to be able to follow many other diets. He is a Type 2 diabetic, and his out-of-control blood sugar normalized immediately, his doctor had him drop his anti-cholesterol medication, and his high liver enzymes dropped to normal. He has lost 40 lbs, I have lost 30. We are never hungry; we have a hard time eating all that the daily guidelines allow us to eat. We will never go back to eating the "normal" American diet--it would be tantamount to committing suicide. For the first time in many years, we feel we will be able to be thin and healthy. I wonder why none of our health care providers ever told us we could improve our health so radically this way?
11 comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2012
When was the last time something, ANYTHING you bought actually lived up to expectations?

This book actually does.

Like other reviewers have said, for the record, I don't know Fuhrman, have never met him, and don't get paid by him. This is just me, baby.

Tomorrow is day 42 in the 6 week introduction diet. I've lost 15 lbs, but that really is almost immaterial. The important part is that I'm getting my health back. I've suffered from type II diabetes for the better part of 10 years. The truth is I was a non-compliant patient. Ignored my condition as much as anything.

So why did I decide to try this?

My mother died of a heart attack at 76, and I could tell that's where I was headed. No question about it. I probably would have died sooner. At 57, I knew I wasn't far away.

The other thing was that ever since I was diagnosed with type II diabetes I knew it had something to do with the industrial food chain. I just didn't know what. Now I do, courtesy of Dr. Fuhrman.

If you're observant, you can tell your whole body is getting healthy. Every single inch of it. Cuts which had left red marks under the skin started to disappear. Same thing with my hemorrhoids, which were mild. My blood sugars dropped, and my blood pressure is back to normal. And, as advertized, my middle age mental fog is disappearing. My memory is reappearing, which is a delight.

Did I cheat? Yeah, a couple of times. I had alcohol a couple of nights, and had some chocolate.

I'm documenting this process, so I photograph my weight scale every morning. But one of the patients highlighted in the book suggests that you throw away the scale, and just concentrate on the eating. I actually agree with that.

Unlike some other reviewers, I plan to continue on with the 6 week program until I get down to my ideal weight. I'm 194 lbs now, and think I should probably be in the low 170's. I have absolutely no question that I'll get there.

To summarize, this is simply another kind of cuisine. With it comes the kind of health that you can enjoy well into your 80's. The most interesting part is that your body can start correcting the effects of all your bad habits in such a short time. That is really shocking.

Did this information save my life? There's no question that it will extend it by 15+ years. 15+ QUALITY years.

I know that the $64 question is what will I weigh a year from now? I'll come back and let you know at that point.

I plan to eat and live like this until I die. I will of course occasionally eat outside the program, but I'll watch my weight like a hawk from now on so I never, ever let myself go back to that rotten, horrible, industrial food chain place.

Prayers to all of you.